opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #81
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/16 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center

I think all the previous posts have covered the experience.

I too saw them on the Lateralus tour and i am not sure yet which
i prefered but this was an amazing show. well worth the $$.
I was worried the first three songs with the obvious mixing/
technical difficulties and I feared Maynard's voice would go out.
BUT the muscicianship of the band is INCREDIBLE and i think
that they should all win awards, especially Danny. excellent.

i was in 111, and agree that Up was the place to be for this show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #82
Level 1 - Lurker

Everything I wanted to say has pretty much been covered, all I gotta say is that was an awesome-ass show!

Last edited by crapslap; 09-17-2006 at 09:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

great show here is some dude from the star tribune writing a review about the show

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/682634.html
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 AM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

guy from Pioneer Press actually wrote a better review than the one in the Strib:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...c/15538883.htm
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #85
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

well well it seems tool has impressed me once again. what an amazing show!!!! just got back to Chicago last night and im still shaking from the performance. To start off never stay at the ramada by the target center they !@##ed me so hard it still hurts. They over booked the place and did not have a room for me so they moved us down to the raddison by the university. Anyways we got to the target center just before tool came on. We were in sec 201 row a perfect seats to watch some of the best visuals in my life. As you know they started with stinkfist witch was perfect so i could get a beer then the pot. They still need more practice on this song it didnt sound right. 46&2 was good but i think danny messed up his solo due to the fact that the night before was his home town show and was out partying with justin all night. Then Jambi I love this song live it was perfect the visuals were awesome for this song and they were able to tighten up everything. Then schism time for another beer and shot. I used to complain about tool playing songs like stinkfist, sober, schism but then i realized when would I have time to get a beer, shot, got take a leak so it works out great I love when they play those songs. Then the real show began i love when I hear justin key up lost keys. Rosetta should never be played without lost keys. Rosetta was incredable Maynard was saving his voice for this song it sounded perfect. Wings, Wings, Wings it was my first time hearing this song live. When it started the goose bumps rose my hair was standing straight up. The lazers was the best part. It was like I was in another world. I have never seen lazers like this before. This song must be experienced by every tool fan it will change your life. Lateralus what can I say othen than that they better play this song every time I see tool. It wouldnt be a tool show without it. Vicarious is a great live song. Aenima is a great way to end the show. It was in the top 3 out of 13 live tool shows I have seen. Whats up with the no smoking at the bars in minneapolis. I smoked everything at the show and then get kicked out the hard rock for smoking, and the strip club we went to was not that good either but over all had a great time it will be something I will never forget. Looking forward to the show tonight in Chicago. Im glad tool had the day off on Sunday to get proper rest for Chicago. See you at the show......
7/19/98 WI, 9/8/01 IN, 9/9/01 IL, 10/20/01 IA, 7/19/02 NV, 8/29/02 IL, 9/1/02 WI, 9/7/02 IL, 10/18/02 MI, 11/24/02 CA, 5/13/06 IL, 9/1/06 NV, 9/16/06 MN, 9/18/06 IL, 5/16/07 TX, 6/22/07 MO, 6/27/07 IL, 7/4/07 WI

Last edited by toolhead777; 09-18-2006 at 08:49 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my 5th time seeing Tool, and I have to say it was the best. I can die happy having heard wings live :-) Although I was somewhat dissapointed by the crowd I was sitting around...right as they started wings part 2 a guy in front of me asks his buddy "is this still the same song?" and the drunk bastards sitting right next to them talked during the entire duration of both songs it seemed. This was no problem though because I just closed my eyes and zoned them out. By far the most powerful performance I've ever seen. Thanks Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #87
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Tribune Review
Their instrumental intricacies did turn indulgent in a couple cases. You knew that "Wings for Marie" was going to be a doozy when bassist Justin Chancellor sat down on a stool. He didn't get up until after the song morphed into the equally drab and drawn-out "10,000 Days."
Is this guy serious? Wings and 10,000 Days were amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #88
You got bonked.

Bincount™: 1599

Fucking. Amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #89
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravener View Post
Is this guy serious? Wings and 10,000 Days were amazing.
your opinion is wrong
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #90
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thautis View Post
your opinion is wrong
I realize it is an opinion, but the general consensus is that Wings and 10,000 days were good. No need to be a troll.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #91
You got bonked.

one of my friends bailed and so i instead brought my dad to this concert. It was his first concert since he saw aerosmith something like 10-15 years ago.

He was surprised because he recognized 2 of the songs from the radio (listens to 93X half the time), and said he enjoyed pretty much the whole concert. It was pretty cool to get to share something like this with him. I am happy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravener View Post
I realize it is an opinion, but the general consensus is that Wings and 10,000 days were good. No need to be a troll.
I wrote a long write up of this concert for a buddy who is seeing
them in Columbus OH in a few days. In defense of Wings and 10,000 days
here are my excerpts regarding those songs (Picking up after Rosetta Stoned):
================================================== ====
after that incredible song, i think the drummer and the bassist need a
minute to catch their breathe. so into Wings For Marie. Now i know that
being on the upper level instead of the flooor is the place to be.
I have a perfect view of all the cool visuals. it must be like
people seeing Pink Floyd back in the early 70s. crazy stuff
as they use the floor of the stage like a projections screen, and the
screen behind them and they have green lazers going out into the crowd.

AS you know, wings is like the intro to 10,000 Days. HOLY SHIT.
this was like riding through the sky in the 'Chariot of the Gods'.
I can not even describe how cool this song is live. I have a whole new
appreciation for the new CD, and i do not know how i can listen to
anything besides tool for at least a week.
================================================== ====

I have already jammed on these 2 songs a couple times since the concert
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #93
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk View Post
one of my friends bailed and so i instead brought my dad to this concert. It was his first concert since he saw aerosmith something like 10-15 years ago.

He was surprised because he recognized 2 of the songs from the radio (listens to 93X half the time), and said he enjoyed pretty much the whole concert. It was pretty cool to get to share something like this with him. I am happy.
You dudes get 93x over in N.D? Day-um. Sometimes it gets staticy only as far as St. Cloud.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #94
You got bonked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift. View Post
You dudes get 93x over in N.D? Day-um. Sometimes it gets staticy only as far as St. Cloud.
i just go to school here... ND sucks.

I am from Blaine origionally (just north of minneapolis)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

My 1st born son was born last Monday evening. I had two tickets to this show that I gave up to be with him. Thanks for all of your descriptive posts and reviews, they bring a big smile to my face. =]

Luckily enough, I did get to see them at the Orpheum in May.

Someone PM me with something juicy. Thanks. =]
Old 09-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #96
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieta View Post
Yeah I was two guys away from the dude that was getting flipped... Drunk ass tried to tell the put crew that he had gotten there first, when in reality the guys I was by were there before I was. I wasn't paying enough attention, but did he get kicked out?

Sounds like you had a helluva night though :) I completely agree with what you said about Lateralus though, the entire experience was extremely euphoric for me... I keep going over everything I can remember... Don't want to forget with that short memory of mine! ;)
As the guy who got flipped I am glad to know that you all that that prick was an ass too!! He ended up getting tossed out half way through the concert when he was crowd surfing because he got pushed so far back. Best part was the security ripped him over and his glasses fell and broke. He deserved it. Aside from the one drunk dude... Amazing show. I was expecting a little more out of maynard. having seen him perform before he lacked a lot of energy. Could be cuz of his sickness. The lasers kicked my ass, and so did their performance. Overall, best show I have ever been to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #97
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetEther View Post
My 1st born son was born last Monday evening. I had two tickets to this show that I gave up to be with him. Thanks for all of your descriptive posts and reviews, they bring a big smile to my face. =]

Luckily enough, I did get to see them at the Orpheum in May.

Someone PM me with something juicy. Thanks. =]
You are a better man than I...if it were me in that situation...I'd be like..."Son...to the backburner with you! Chances to see Tool are few and far between...I'm gonna see your ass everyday for the rest of my life or until you move the fuck out. You won't remember this shit anyway!" Out the door. Slam.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

First time to see Tool. Took the wife and son... WOW! Have not seen such a display of musicianship in a long time. The Police in the 80's maybe.... Danny and Justin define the concept of Rhythm. Danny just kills his drumset & Justin never let up the whole show. Absolutely Awaesome!!! For the musicians out there who may want to zone in on Adam & Justin, I highly recommend getting seats in the lower section to the left side of the stage (facing it) as both seem to face this direction throughout the show. My son was able to get some awesome pic's.... Cannot wait to see them again. Maybe someday they will do a tour covering the best of all their songs. I could have listened/watched them for hours and wished they had played a few older songs. But, the show they put on was truly great and I am blessed to have seen them. Thank god they changed out Maynard's mic & fixed his monitor mix between the first 2 songs as I thought at one point he was going to leave the stage in frustration. But it turned out OK and the rest of the band never let up the whole night. Now, how to get tickets for another show?!!!!! :}:}:}:}:}:}:}
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #99
Bit
Level 1 - Lurker

I pretyped this up a couple of days ago, so sorry if there are repeats.

Playlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie, Pt. 1
10,000 Days (Wings, Pt. 2)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

"Hello, almost Canada!" were Maynard's first words, and the crowd erupted. He was dressed in a cowboy hat, leather jacket, and black pants.

Stinkfist
Adam Jones then started up a little feedback (not as much as on the recorded Stinkfist, though) and then it erupted into the intro riff. The crowd raised their fists, and started pumping them to the beat. When Maynard started singing, so did everyone else in the arena.

The Pot
Maynard said, "Who are you to wave your finger? You must have been out your head." The crowd cheered like crazy. The guy standing in front of me said, "It's 'The Pot'! Toke up!" You could see that other people thought the same thing, as lighters were seen scattered across the arena. Maynard waited a few seconds, then said the rest of the intro, and off went the bass.'

Forty Six & 2
A silence followed for about 30 seconds, with the crowd raging for more. Justin Chancellor started up the ever-populat intro riff to 'Forty Six & 2' and I swear one guy broke his vocal chords he screamed so loud. Maynard said the first half of the verse, and then stopped, with the crowd shouting the rest. He did this for the first few verses. Then he really got into it, and took the mic out of the stand, and threw the stand down. He started doing his ever-popular weird dances between vocal lines.

Jambi
When Adam Jones started up the intro riff for Jambi, and Maynard threw off his leather jacket. The red and orange lighting along with a lot of red/orange visualizations on the screen made this one really heavy song. Adam Jones was insane on the voice box. He kept to the original sequence, but improvised a little bit, making it even more awesome.

Schism
Justin Chancellor did the harmony-like intro riff, and people cheered like they were stoned (though they probably were). When he did the next riff, lasers were turned on, and changed colors to the beat. Throughout the entire song, they had different lasers changing like mad. It was fricken sweet! They also had the music video playing on the screens behind them. In the middle of the song they repeated one of the verse riffs on their instruments, and kept getting faster and faster until they exploded back into the song. It was a sweet change-up amd added a lot to the live performance.

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Justin went feedback crazy on the intro to this one. People were cheering and the ground was pulsing. When it changed to Rosetta Stoned (you guessed it) people shouted like never before. The people down in the front of the floor started jumping up and down. A really long song, with crazy dances, vocals, lights, lasers and fans.

Wings Pts. 1 & 2
A stage crew worker brought out a chair for Justin, and thus started the long double-song. It was calming, yet heavy at the same time. It was played flawlessly, and sounded much better live than recorded. All of Danny Carey's drumming, from bass drums, to wood blocks, was perfectly synchronized. Lasers were also used in the heavier parts of this double-song.

At this part, the band set down their instruments, and Danny Carey stepped off of his drums. I thought the concert was over, but they just went and sat down on the step in the middle of the stage. Justin pulled out a lighter, and held it up lit. Then every-single-person in the arena with a lighter did the same. They turned off all of the stage lights and just had the lighters on. It was just as lit up as during the songs. There must have been a few thousand lighter in there. I was amazed at how serene it was at that moment. Finally Justin put away his lighter, and they all went back to their places.

Lateralus
Another amazing song. The backdrop had lights on it, that were shaped in the form of the 3-faced head. It also had color-changing lights, that pulsed to different parts of the song. There was a little variation in the solos, and they were well-welcomed to make a live performance more, well, live.

Vicarious
After 'Lateralus' ended, they did a long (about) 4 minute intro, with different riffs, and heavy and soft parts. Then when it died down a little, the bass started up with the intro riff to 'Vicarious'. The crowd was nuts! When Maynard started singing, so did everyone, and I mean EVERYONE! The crowd was singing it louder than Maynard was, and he was pretty loud! They did a little variation when the intro riff was repeated towards the end of the song, and it fit perfectly. Also during this song, they had some buff wrestler, in a tutu come on stage and show off his muscles. He walked around flexing, and pointing to himself.

After 'Vicarious' ended, Maynard said, "Peace, the fuck, out!" And of course, they only cheered louder.

Ænema
Right after he said that, he started the heavy breathing, and everyone knew what was coming. It looked like everbody was moving to the beat of this song. Lights and lasers everywhere. The crowd sang along with this one too, but Maynard was really into it, and overpowered them. When it ended, the crowd was raging for more, but Tool went to the center of the stage, waved, and left one-by-one.

Atmosphere
The lights were perfectly synchronized, including the lasers, smoke machines, and wall lights. The stage was set up well, with 3 mini-screens behind the band, and a giant wall, where the 3-faced head-shaped light display was.

Overall
Even though this was only my second concert ever, it was by far the best, and will surely be my favorite concert ever. That is, unless I go to see them again and it's even better. This is definetly going to be something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Merchandise
I bought a 3.5' x 5' poster, and a shirt with a design on the front, and tour info on the back.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/...1/000_0022.jpg
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/...1/000_0024.jpg
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/...1/000_0025.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 05:22 AM   #100
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
"Hello, almost Canada!" were Maynard's first words, and the crowd erupted. He was dressed in a cowboy hat, leather jacket, and black pants.
He was wearing blue jeans!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #101
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I pretyped this up a couple of days ago, so sorry if there are repeats.

It was his standard Pusicfer AF windbreaker not leather
Old 09-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #102
Level 2 - Poster

I appreciate your view. I thought the show was the best show I have been to by far. Close to a musical religious experience. I've been a TOOL fan since Undertow but this show (my third) prompted me to talk to others who were lucky enought to have been there.......unbelievable

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: