opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Opiate Vinyl Misprint?

Nearly a year ago, I purchased what I was led to believe as an original, sealed copy of the Opiate vinyl from a music vendor at a local flea market. Having owned the CD for years, I opted to treat it at somewhat of a keepsake and wait to open it on a special occasion. After talking about it with an old friend who is also a huge Tool fan several times, I decided to open it up and throw it on the turntable for the first time 2 nights ago (Tuesday).

Being slightly inebriated, it took me nearly an entire minute after dropping the stylus to realize that the track I was hearing was actually Intolerance, rather than Sweat. Upon further listening, the album ended up being disc 1 of Undertow, and not Opiate at all, despite having even the Opiate sticker on the front and back side of the lp, with even the Opiate track listing.

Interesting to note that the reverse of the album cover lists a 1993 copyright to Zoo Records, however the lp itself has a Volcano Records logo. The irony of the situation is that on the same day I bought this album, I also picked up a sealed copy of Undertow, which has yet to be opened.

After extensive Googling, the only similar reference I was able to find was a post on this forum from April 2007 http://toolnavy.com/archive/index.php/t-80817.html and at the time no one seemed to believe it was much of a special find. So my question is: is this actually a rare small batch misprint of the Opiate re-release, or merely a worthless bootleg? Thanks!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483
Re: Opiate Vinyl Misprint?

huh, couldnt tell ya...
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampjack View Post
Nearly a year ago, I purchased what I was led to believe as an original, sealed copy of the Opiate vinyl from a music vendor at a local flea market. Having owned the CD for years, I opted to treat it at somewhat of a keepsake and wait to open it on a special occasion. After talking about it with an old friend who is also a huge Tool fan several times, I decided to open it up and throw it on the turntable for the first time 2 nights ago (Tuesday).

Being slightly inebriated, it took me nearly an entire minute after dropping the stylus to realize that the track I was hearing was actually Intolerance, rather than Sweat. Upon further listening, the album ended up being disc 1 of Undertow, and not Opiate at all, despite having even the Opiate sticker on the front and back side of the lp, with even the Opiate track listing.

Interesting to note that the reverse of the album cover lists a 1993 copyright to Zoo Records, however the lp itself has a Volcano Records logo. The irony of the situation is that on the same day I bought this album, I also picked up a sealed copy of Undertow, which has yet to be opened.

After extensive Googling, the only similar reference I was able to find was a post on this forum from April 2007 http://toolnavy.com/archive/index.php/t-80817.html and at the time no one seemed to believe it was much of a special find. So my question is: is this actually a rare small batch misprint of the Opiate re-release, or merely a worthless bootleg? Thanks!
Go for the ceramic one and you will see
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
From what I gathered when that other thread was going is that some factory just used the wrong stampers.

I dunno, you may want to save it, it could be worth a whole lot some day, since it is fairly rare. Or, it may be worth nothing because it's an accident. Who knows.

If you haven't already, you may want to email Crashdown1979 (from post #3) and see if you guys picked up the same discs. More than likely you have the same ones. Interesting that you're across the country though...
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

I also have mispressed version of Opiate, but it plays the B side on both sides, not undertow. What does the matrix of yours say (the etched code near the middle of the vinyl)?

Quote:
I have yet to see a Volcano pressing (i.e on the label) with a Volcano sleeve. To my knowledge, all vinyl copies of Opiate have a Zoo label (with slight variations). This makes it interesting when you see eBay listing saying TOOL OPIATE ORIGINAL ZOO PRESSING SEALED OMG L@@K!!!!! It is quite likely that these are not the original pressings. The original ones have the custom sleeve instead of a plain white one. Anyways, I'm rambling...

Quote:
So my question is: is this actually a rare small batch misprint of the Opiate re-release, or merely a worthless bootleg? Thanks!
I guess mispresses are a little more of a collector thing, but I don't know if it would be worth too much. I paid 1/2 price for my mispress, I would not be likely to pay exorbatant amounts for one.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Banned.

Hi, huh
Are you sure.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

I also have a mispressed Opiate. I bought it in the late 90s I got it home and my teenage self was devastated! Cold and Ugly starts to play for a few seconds then cuts to the secret song, gets hung up on blank spots twice, then starts back to finish cold and ugly. I bought a new one and the bad one was pressed by Zoo and the new one was Volcano while both covers say Zoo on them. I think its a pretty neat thing to have now :)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: