Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
aephaesis
07-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Second Tool show (first one Reading, PA 07). I read the reviews of this mini-tour each day and based on that, I was preparing for quiet vocals, overuse of the vocal sound effects and overall: to leave being dissapointed (like a repeat of 07 but not as good), so I came in kinda blah about it instead of pumped. I was excited to bring my husband since this was his first Tool show, so I figured it would be really good for a first timer. We didn't hear but the tail end of the opener, so it sucks to hear they were good :) The reviews didn't talk too highly of them that I felt it worth it to pay the babysitter an extra hour. But now I wish I forked out the $15. Oh well. When the drummer came out to play with Tool, I noticed his style is like he played quad toms in marching band. I hate watching a drummer and saying, "I can do that!" But I wouldn't want to be out there with Danny.. he is so freaking amazing.

Maynard sang great. Not good, but GREAT. Loud, crystal, GREAT, I tell you. It seems like we, at the Patriot Center, were lucky because that was the biggest complaint of the previous shows this mini-tour. It was clearer than when I saw them in 07. It was just plain great. Good seats and view, Section 117, K.

Flood was GREAT to hear again.. you can't listen to Flood on a cd and expect it to be anything close to what it is live.. that is a true live song.

I am 5 months pregnant, so I got some interesting looks, someone said "now THAT'S dedication!" Damn, right! But this was the little guys first Tool concert and he liked it a lot! I can't wait to take him to his next one(s)!! I saw some other pregnant girls there too.. never noticed them at a show before, but I probably never was looking before either.

Traffic was great to and from. I live in Fairfax, so very convienent. I paid a lot because of buying through a website. But it was worth it.. seriously worth it.

To the guy who saw Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.. I have seen Judas Priest and I know what you are talking about with his 30 second scream thing.... (on bullet train, right?) he is just a freak of nature with that talent.. that does not in any way negate how awesome Maynard sounded last night. I would prefer Mayards voice over Ripper any day.

NOT DISSAPOINTED IN ANY WAY-AT ALL.

BTW, I created this account in NC and now live in VA.. anyone know how to change my location on the profile?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

Second Tool show (first one Reading, PA 07). I read the reviews of this mini-tour each day and based on that, I was preparing for quiet vocals, overuse of the vocal sound effects and overall: to leave being dissapointed (like a repeat of 07 but not as good), so I came in kinda blah about it instead of pumped. I was excited to bring my husband since this was his first Tool show, so I figured it would be really good for a first timer. We didn't hear but the tail end of the opener, so it sucks to hear they were good :) The reviews didn't talk too highly of them that I felt it worth it to pay the babysitter an extra hour. But now I wish I forked out the $15. Oh well. When the drummer came out to play with Tool, I noticed his style is like he played quad toms in marching band. I hate watching a drummer and saying, "I can do that!" But I wouldn't want to be out there with Danny.. he is so freaking amazing.

Maynard sang great. Not good, but GREAT. Loud, crystal, GREAT, I tell you. It seems like we, at the Patriot Center, were lucky because that was the biggest complaint of the previous shows this mini-tour. It was clearer than when I saw them in 07. It was just plain great. Good seats and view, Section 117, K.

Flood was GREAT to hear again.. you can't listen to Flood on a cd and expect it to be anything close to what it is live.. that is a true live song.

I am 5 months pregnant, so I got some interesting looks, someone said "now THAT'S dedication!" Damn, right! But this was the little guys first Tool concert and he liked it a lot! I can't wait to take him to his next one(s)!! I saw some other pregnant girls there too.. never noticed them at a show before, but I probably never was looking before either.

Traffic was great to and from. I live in Fairfax, so very convienent. I paid a lot because of buying through a website. But it was worth it.. seriously worth it.

To the guy who saw Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.. I have seen Judas Priest and I know what you are talking about with his 30 second scream thing.... (on bullet train, right?) he is just a freak of nature with that talent.. that does not in any way negate how awesome Maynard sounded last night. I would prefer Mayards voice over Ripper any day.

NOT DISSAPOINTED IN ANY WAY-AT ALL.

BTW, I created this account in NC and now live in VA.. anyone know how to change my location on the profile?
OFFLINE |  
Inmate_666
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM

First Time at a TOOL Concert. Wow. "Holy Fucking Shit." As said before, I can't really put words to this experience. This show took you places. Most importantly, it was a life-changing experience.

First, I was on the floor near the front, and was on the left edge of the circle pit (and sometimes in it) which allowed me to move up closer, about 6 or 7 people behind the front gate. So I was right in the thick of it. The crowd rocked, and at points it almost felt like everyone in the arena were one. Between Jambi and Flood you really got it going.

Second, the music. God dammit, I can't listen to music again and not have it be the same. They rocked the house and minus some technical issues / failures it was perfect. The Setlist was fantastic (I don't get why some people complain about wanting this or that or that this was from 2007, fuck you its their music let them play what the fuck they want to. If you don't like it, don't come next time.)

Third, Maynard was great based on the comments from previous nights. I didn't know too much shit being thrown on stage or too many flashes, so I guess that helped him. As for him being in the shadows, I liked it because it goes back to the "its the music not the people" paradigm that TOOL has. He thanked us, and at the end of the show bowed and waved goodbye and left on his own terms. It is his style and I can live with that. His "take care of each other" and "welcome home" comments made an impression on me, and the more I think about his comments, it really set the mental tone and helped with that "taking you places" aspect of the show.

Fourth, the visuals. Jesus. They took it on a whole different level, and made the music something entirely different.

The crowd, music, and visuals just combined to make something greater and took you places. You never realized it until the show was over and you got in your car to go home. Even a day after the show I am still in awe how fucking amazing and mindblowing these guys are. Hands down the best show I have ever seen.

I would like to thank Adam, Danny, Justin, and Maynard and everyone else who made that show possible. You guys have turned music into something more than just music.
To quote Napoleon "Music is the voice that tells us that the human race is greater than it knows. " Thank you TOOL.

EDIT -- The Judas Priest comment is lame. His voice has something like a 4 octave range, which is crazy. You might as well be comparing Maynard to Pavarotti.

Last edited by Inmate_666; 07-31-2009 at 08:27 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

First Time at a TOOL Concert. Wow. "Holy Fucking Shit." As said before, I can't really put words to this experience. This show took you places. Most importantly, it was a life-changing experience.

First, I was on the floor near the front, and was on the left edge of the circle pit (and sometimes in it) which allowed me to move up closer, about 6 or 7 people behind the front gate. So I was right in the thick of it. The crowd rocked, and at points it almost felt like everyone in the arena were one. Between Jambi and Flood you really got it going.

Second, the music. God dammit, I can't listen to music again and not have it be the same. They rocked the house and minus some technical issues / failures it was perfect. The Setlist was fantastic (I don't get why some people complain about wanting this or that or that this was from 2007, fuck you its their music let them play what the fuck they want to. If you don't like it, don't come next time.)

Third, Maynard was great based on the comments from previous nights. I didn't know too much shit being thrown on stage or too many flashes, so I guess that helped him. As for him being in the shadows, I liked it because it goes back to the "its the music not the people" paradigm that TOOL has. He thanked us, and at the end of the show bowed and waved goodbye and left on his own terms. It is his style and I can live with that. His "take care of each other" and "welcome home" comments made an impression on me, and the more I think about his comments, it really set the mental tone and helped with that "taking you places" aspect of the show.

Fourth, the visuals. Jesus. They took it on a whole different level, and made the music something entirely different.

The crowd, music, and visuals just combined to make something greater and took you places. You never realized it until the show was over and you got in your car to go home. Even a day after the show I am still in awe how fucking amazing and mindblowing these guys are. Hands down the best show I have ever seen.

I would like to thank Adam, Danny, Justin, and Maynard and everyone else who made that show possible. You guys have turned music into something more than just music.
To quote Napoleon "Music is the voice that tells us that the human race is greater than it knows. " Thank you TOOL.

EDIT -- The Judas Priest comment is lame. His voice has something like a 4 octave range, which is crazy. You might as well be comparing Maynard to Pavarotti.

Last edited by Inmate_666; 07-31-2009 at 08:27 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Thatsarealzinger's Avatar Thatsarealzinger
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM

FANTASTIC show!

Every song was great. No complaints at all.

Can't wait until next time...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

FANTASTIC show!

OFFLINE |  
BramBonesBadass's Avatar BramBonesBadass
08-01-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsarealzinger View Post
FANTASTIC show!

Ditto!

Did anyone notice the weird section they played before vicarious? It was kind of "electronic"/techno sounding.....mostly led by danny....did they play this at any of the other shows? It was strange to say the least....the band followed right along, could this be a glimpse of what their new album will be like?

More details later!......I dont know what all the complaining was about....maynard was fucking ON!

instead of the leatherman/underwear getup....he was rocking the "old" 10KD outfit with jeans and bullhorn.....I wonder if he was just on his period for the last 2 weeks....I didnt know leather briefs were mega absorbent...
Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsarealzinger View Post
FANTASTIC show!

Ditto!

Did anyone notice the weird section they played before vicarious? It was kind of "electronic"/techno sounding.....mostly led by danny....did they play this at any of the other shows? It was strange to say the least....the band followed right along, could this be a glimpse of what their new album will be like?

More details later!......I dont know what all the complaining was about....maynard was fucking ON!

instead of the leatherman/underwear getup....he was rocking the "old" 10KD outfit with jeans and bullhorn.....I wonder if he was just on his period for the last 2 weeks....I didnt know leather briefs were mega absorbent...
OFFLINE |  
08-01-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramBonesBadass View Post
Ditto!

I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Ditto!

I couldn't agree more.
OFFLINE |  
08-01-2009, 07:40 AM

I also thought it was really cool how they started Lateralus in a circle formation near Danny. They did that a lot in 01/02 but I don't remember them doing it in 06/07. I was glad to see them do that again. It is like they are starting a journey together. Awesome.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

I also thought it was really cool how they started Lateralus in a circle formation near Danny. They did that a lot in 01/02 but I don't remember them doing it in 06/07. I was glad to see them do that again. It is like they are starting a journey together. Awesome.
OFFLINE |  
sinfall's Avatar sinfall
08-01-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephaesis View Post

My wife is 6 months pregnant and was there with me as well. She noticed some weird looks in her direction too LOL.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #47
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephaesis View Post

My wife is 6 months pregnant and was there with me as well. She noticed some weird looks in her direction too LOL.
OFFLINE |  
profane's Avatar profane
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonplussed View Post

One last thing to perhaps betray my naiveté: is this Chapel of Sacred Mirrors shit for real? The "Tool Church"? Are you fucking KIDDING me?
Yes it is, except it's called The Tool Shrine and I donated to it.

This was my 6th TOOL show, but my first one on the rail, dead center. I can't say this show beat out the Lateralus tour, but this was easily superior to the 10,000 Days shows I saw.

It was a long day waiting outside the venue - I got there with my friend. We were the 2nd and 3rd people there at 11am. Well worth the wait to get front row center, I know that much. But we met some cool people and I noticed a lot of first timers at the show, so evidently TOOL is still reeling them in.

Anyhow, I don't understand the people being negative about this tour, or how Maynard is acting like he doesn't give a shit. He sounded great to me, talked a lot to the crowd (considering this is TOOL) and seemed to really be in a great fucking mood. Adam, Justin and Danny all did amazing as far as I'm concerned. Then again, when the bass from Jambi kicked in, it damn near shattered my chest. Ahhhh, bliss!

Ultimately, no complaints from me and I picked up one of the Adam Jones silkscreened posters (the smaller one) with the Star of Babalon.

I can say with a full-heart that this was a truly transcendental experience and often I found myself closing my eyes to get lost in a sort of meditative trance. It was a cleansing experience... One that I will always remember.

Great fucking show.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonplussed View Post

One last thing to perhaps betray my naiveté: is this Chapel of Sacred Mirrors shit for real? The "Tool Church"? Are you fucking KIDDING me?
Yes it is, except it's called The Tool Shrine and I donated to it.

This was my 6th TOOL show, but my first one on the rail, dead center. I can't say this show beat out the Lateralus tour, but this was easily superior to the 10,000 Days shows I saw.

It was a long day waiting outside the venue - I got there with my friend. We were the 2nd and 3rd people there at 11am. Well worth the wait to get front row center, I know that much. But we met some cool people and I noticed a lot of first timers at the show, so evidently TOOL is still reeling them in.

Anyhow, I don't understand the people being negative about this tour, or how Maynard is acting like he doesn't give a shit. He sounded great to me, talked a lot to the crowd (considering this is TOOL) and seemed to really be in a great fucking mood. Adam, Justin and Danny all did amazing as far as I'm concerned. Then again, when the bass from Jambi kicked in, it damn near shattered my chest. Ahhhh, bliss!

Ultimately, no complaints from me and I picked up one of the Adam Jones silkscreened posters (the smaller one) with the Star of Babalon.

I can say with a full-heart that this was a truly transcendental experience and often I found myself closing my eyes to get lost in a sort of meditative trance. It was a cleansing experience... One that I will always remember.

Great fucking show.
OFFLINE |  
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
08-02-2009, 08:12 PM

k, my take on the beginning vocals of rosetta:

I distinctly heard mjk say, "this is all a joke, you should laugh." It was like he was doing a standup comedy conversation with himself and I'm pretty fucking sure I heard a Michael Jackson joke.

Great show though, thanks for the tix Sean. They were actually pretty money, a lot better than I had thought, that's the vantage point I really like.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #49
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

k, my take on the beginning vocals of rosetta:

I distinctly heard mjk say, "this is all a joke, you should laugh." It was like he was doing a standup comedy conversation with himself and I'm pretty fucking sure I heard a Michael Jackson joke.

Great show though, thanks for the tix Sean. They were actually pretty money, a lot better than I had thought, that's the vantage point I really like.
08-02-2009, 08:19 PM

So this was my 6th show I believe. We got there about an hour b4 Tool hit the stage and we realized that we left the tickets @ the hotel which was really only about 15 min. away. Because of traffic lights, silly GPS systems and "special" brownies we got back in the middle of "Forty Six and 2". i was pretty irked. i couldnt believe that my brother and boyfriends saved my parking spot. I wish i wouldve just drove back to where they were, but i didnt. i parked in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere. each time i see Tool it's a different experience, so even if they do play the same setlist night after night, as annoyed as i am, i can focus on some new things. there are 4 of them onstage and always mind-blowing lights. I don't always end up w/general admission tix but did this time because of ebay. Ebay sucks and so does the fact that their official site said that tickets would be on sale on the wrong date. anyhoo...

I loved the little alien-abduction eye thing b4 Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. I'm not really sure if Maynard was into the show or not. I think he performed pretty well minus those last lines of "Vicarious". I wouldve liked to hear Rosetta Stoned more clearly. i wonder if he was mouthing of random jibberish or "conversing w/himself" as others have so aptly put.
Usually I get a T-shirt but they did'nt have the one I wanted in my size @ that particular merch booth. They said I could walk to one of the other different ones to see if they have it....blah fuck that.

i wouldve rather them come to some place like Merriweather. just someplace closer. i love Tool I really do. they are my favorite band. they are something to be experienced, but they should breathe some new life in their setlists. i realize that w/an elaborate set production, all that is limited. theres only so long they can do that b4 i go "okay whats up guys? what kinda shenanigans is this 900 shows in a row w/the same setlist thing? your fans really are tools, huh"

im not disappointed. im not suprised. im just glad, my love, got to experience one of my loves for himself.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #50
Level 3 - Talker

So this was my 6th show I believe. We got there about an hour b4 Tool hit the stage and we realized that we left the tickets @ the hotel which was really only about 15 min. away. Because of traffic lights, silly GPS systems and "special" brownies we got back in the middle of "Forty Six and 2". i was pretty irked. i couldnt believe that my brother and boyfriends saved my parking spot. I wish i wouldve just drove back to where they were, but i didnt. i parked in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere. each time i see Tool it's a different experience, so even if they do play the same setlist night after night, as annoyed as i am, i can focus on some new things. there are 4 of them onstage and always mind-blowing lights. I don't always end up w/general admission tix but did this time because of ebay. Ebay sucks and so does the fact that their official site said that tickets would be on sale on the wrong date. anyhoo...

I loved the little alien-abduction eye thing b4 Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. I'm not really sure if Maynard was into the show or not. I think he performed pretty well minus those last lines of "Vicarious". I wouldve liked to hear Rosetta Stoned more clearly. i wonder if he was mouthing of random jibberish or "conversing w/himself" as others have so aptly put.
Usually I get a T-shirt but they did'nt have the one I wanted in my size @ that particular merch booth. They said I could walk to one of the other different ones to see if they have it....blah fuck that.

i wouldve rather them come to some place like Merriweather. just someplace closer. i love Tool I really do. they are my favorite band. they are something to be experienced, but they should breathe some new life in their setlists. i realize that w/an elaborate set production, all that is limited. theres only so long they can do that b4 i go "okay whats up guys? what kinda shenanigans is this 900 shows in a row w/the same setlist thing? your fans really are tools, huh"

im not disappointed. im not suprised. im just glad, my love, got to experience one of my loves for himself.
OFFLINE |  
BramBonesBadass's Avatar BramBonesBadass
08-03-2009, 07:39 AM

So does nobody remember that "electronic" sounding vamp before vicarious started? They all went into a strange musical movement during which DC was laying down some crazy techno-ish sounding stuff. Its sounded like it was planned out, and not just improvised. I've listened to boots from the SA and NC show, but they both lack this section that was performed in Fairfax, VA.

I wonder if anyone got a recording of the show, seeing how the goose stepping security had everything on lock down.

I also recall most of the songs being played at full speed...especially rosetta.... - although lateralus seemed slowed down.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

So does nobody remember that "electronic" sounding vamp before vicarious started? They all went into a strange musical movement during which DC was laying down some crazy techno-ish sounding stuff. Its sounded like it was planned out, and not just improvised. I've listened to boots from the SA and NC show, but they both lack this section that was performed in Fairfax, VA.

I wonder if anyone got a recording of the show, seeing how the goose stepping security had everything on lock down.

I also recall most of the songs being played at full speed...especially rosetta.... - although lateralus seemed slowed down.
OFFLINE |  
Galstan
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM

i agree lateralus was a tad bit slow

and to be honest i dont remember the technoy part before vicarious but it would be interesting to find out

maynard is saying the words to rosetta stoned but he is not doing them in the way he does on the CD. he is saying them in a kind of monotone voice but i could kind of follow along (i have it all memorized) and he was saying them. i distinctly heard the part about the sweaty L Ron Hubbard upper lip and the Birkenstock sandals. he is saying them though, that is for sure, at least he did at the patriot center
Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

i agree lateralus was a tad bit slow

and to be honest i dont remember the technoy part before vicarious but it would be interesting to find out

maynard is saying the words to rosetta stoned but he is not doing them in the way he does on the CD. he is saying them in a kind of monotone voice but i could kind of follow along (i have it all memorized) and he was saying them. i distinctly heard the part about the sweaty L Ron Hubbard upper lip and the Birkenstock sandals. he is saying them though, that is for sure, at least he did at the patriot center
OFFLINE |  
Novus_'s Avatar Novus_
08-03-2009, 09:37 PM

This Fairfax show was the 11th time I've seen them in concert since 1998. They were just as passionate and as genuine as I've ever seen them. And Maynard was definitely in a good mood and talkative. He only got upset when he was having trouble with his distortion walkie during Stinkfist (and a little trouble during Vicarious). Speaking of which, it was pretty odd to see Maynard use distortion throughout the entire Vicarious song. I went to 4 other 10,000 Days shows in 2006 and 2007 and never saw that. Interesting. He was also experimenting with his foot pedals throughout the song. Vicarious was a great closer with the new video being played on the screens, though. Gave me chills.

I was stage-left, right in front of Justin on the rail. It was great to see him getting into the music so much... and he was smiling and making eye contact with the crowd most of the time.

These 10,000 Days shows have been the best I've seen TOOL. And honestly, although Schism and 46&2 have been staples for years now and ones I probably would've liked switched up going into the concert, they were the songs I connected emotionally to the most during the show. Funny how that happens.

The rest of the earlier reviews covered the highlights.

I just can't wait to see our boys again in a couple years... with a new album to support!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2
Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

This Fairfax show was the 11th time I've seen them in concert since 1998. They were just as passionate and as genuine as I've ever seen them. And Maynard was definitely in a good mood and talkative. He only got upset when he was having trouble with his distortion walkie during Stinkfist (and a little trouble during Vicarious). Speaking of which, it was pretty odd to see Maynard use distortion throughout the entire Vicarious song. I went to 4 other 10,000 Days shows in 2006 and 2007 and never saw that. Interesting. He was also experimenting with his foot pedals throughout the song. Vicarious was a great closer with the new video being played on the screens, though. Gave me chills.

I was stage-left, right in front of Justin on the rail. It was great to see him getting into the music so much... and he was smiling and making eye contact with the crowd most of the time.

These 10,000 Days shows have been the best I've seen TOOL. And honestly, although Schism and 46&2 have been staples for years now and ones I probably would've liked switched up going into the concert, they were the songs I connected emotionally to the most during the show. Funny how that happens.

The rest of the earlier reviews covered the highlights.

I just can't wait to see our boys again in a couple years... with a new album to support!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2
OFFLINE |  
bigdaddycain's Avatar bigdaddycain
08-04-2009, 04:27 AM

<Great show though, thanks for the tix Sean. They were actually pretty money, a lot better than I had thought, that's the vantage point I really like.>

No problem, Brendan....glad they worked out to your liking. Kind of a 'top down' view, huh? That's what I remember from the STP show.

Our seats were ridiculous....I was so close to Adam I could see everything he was doing...Maynard to. I had no one blocking my view since we were at the end of the row.....no one seated in the next section to my left because it was blocked off.

This was a cool point of view, seeing that we sat in almost the same seats on Justins side for the Baltimore show in 07.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #54
Level 2 - Poster

<Great show though, thanks for the tix Sean. They were actually pretty money, a lot better than I had thought, that's the vantage point I really like.>

No problem, Brendan....glad they worked out to your liking. Kind of a 'top down' view, huh? That's what I remember from the STP show.

Our seats were ridiculous....I was so close to Adam I could see everything he was doing...Maynard to. I had no one blocking my view since we were at the end of the row.....no one seated in the next section to my left because it was blocked off.

This was a cool point of view, seeing that we sat in almost the same seats on Justins side for the Baltimore show in 07.
08-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Hello all :) First post... and amazingly this was also my first T00L show. I've seen every other band I could ever want 10 times over, leaving T00L as the lone remaining band I felt I "had" to see before I died. (A tad dramatic, but not much...). Anyway, took care of that situation with this show in VA on Thursday. It was fantastic. Personally, if I was too "Fan out", and pledge allegiance, it would be to Scott Weiland & STP (if that's not apparent :). I LOVE what Weiland does on stage (not to mention the other factors that lead to his inspiring me). That said, T00L is basically the absolute ANTITHESIS of STP live. STP plays 18 songs, and nearly everyone is a radio hit sing-a-long party. T00L with their extended brilliance, play 10 in contrast. While @ STP, you can't take your eyes off Weiland (whether you're a guy or girl, he's just a total Rockstar), and while watching T00L, you sometimes never get to lay your eyes ON Maynard. My whole point being, I love what T00L is doing. I always have. I COMPLETELY appreciate the evolution in their art. And I REALLY loved the live show, loved how Maynard stayed in the dark back by Danny...playing his role as just another instrument in the production, rather than "Front Man". I love diversity, and T00L covers "that other" end of the spectrum for me, and boy do they ever do it well. I know a lot of fans apparently were upset by the lack of changes in the setlist this tour, compared to last (essentially the same, I'm hearing?). I do understand people being upset by it. Although, STP's sets rarely change on tour, give or take a song rotation or two at most. This summer STP did play about 6 or 7 song's they weren't playing last summer though, but had they not, and had they played the same exact set as last summer, I would've been totally fine with it. With them each time you get it all. Get what you want. I guess since T00L can only play 10 song's live, that REALLY leaves so many song's potentially unplayed, and that leads to understandable frustration. Seeing it in that light, it definitely makes more sense. Initially, I was going to say that it's a wonderful thing to still have these bands together, much less playing @ the level they are live. In hind-sight now, with "only" a 10 song set, yeah, it would irritate me a little I suppose. There's so many song's by them you want to hear live, and they really have the potential of making every show infinitely different than the last (beyond the digitial images looped on the screens)... anyway that's more than enough rambling out of me, especially for a 1st post, and without any paragraphs or formatting what-so-ever. All Apologies :) ~ T00L ROCKS!!!~ (I can't turn Aenema off. Or Forty-Six & 2. or Parabola, which I wish they had played!!!). Okay. Peace
Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Hello all :) First post... and amazingly this was also my first T00L show. I've seen every other band I could ever want 10 times over, leaving T00L as the lone remaining band I felt I "had" to see before I died. (A tad dramatic, but not much...). Anyway, took care of that situation with this show in VA on Thursday. It was fantastic. Personally, if I was too "Fan out", and pledge allegiance, it would be to Scott Weiland & STP (if that's not apparent :). I LOVE what Weiland does on stage (not to mention the other factors that lead to his inspiring me). That said, T00L is basically the absolute ANTITHESIS of STP live. STP plays 18 songs, and nearly everyone is a radio hit sing-a-long party. T00L with their extended brilliance, play 10 in contrast. While @ STP, you can't take your eyes off Weiland (whether you're a guy or girl, he's just a total Rockstar), and while watching T00L, you sometimes never get to lay your eyes ON Maynard. My whole point being, I love what T00L is doing. I always have. I COMPLETELY appreciate the evolution in their art. And I REALLY loved the live show, loved how Maynard stayed in the dark back by Danny...playing his role as just another instrument in the production, rather than "Front Man". I love diversity, and T00L covers "that other" end of the spectrum for me, and boy do they ever do it well. I know a lot of fans apparently were upset by the lack of changes in the setlist this tour, compared to last (essentially the same, I'm hearing?). I do understand people being upset by it. Although, STP's sets rarely change on tour, give or take a song rotation or two at most. This summer STP did play about 6 or 7 song's they weren't playing last summer though, but had they not, and had they played the same exact set as last summer, I would've been totally fine with it. With them each time you get it all. Get what you want. I guess since T00L can only play 10 song's live, that REALLY leaves so many song's potentially unplayed, and that leads to understandable frustration. Seeing it in that light, it definitely makes more sense. Initially, I was going to say that it's a wonderful thing to still have these bands together, much less playing @ the level they are live. In hind-sight now, with "only" a 10 song set, yeah, it would irritate me a little I suppose. There's so many song's by them you want to hear live, and they really have the potential of making every show infinitely different than the last (beyond the digitial images looped on the screens)... anyway that's more than enough rambling out of me, especially for a 1st post, and without any paragraphs or formatting what-so-ever. All Apologies :) ~ T00L ROCKS!!!~ (I can't turn Aenema off. Or Forty-Six & 2. or Parabola, which I wish they had played!!!). Okay. Peace
OFFLINE |  
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Sixth show for me, since the Lateralus tour. Was bittersweet for several reasons. I took a newer friend, and he ended up not enjoying it, unfortunately - his whining sort of dragged me down. Also had some nosebleeder tix, primarily due to the fact that Blair announced the sale date of this show one day late on the website. I really do like Blair, and have emailed with him on a few occasions - always pleasant, but damnit man, Blair, you let me down this time... have always enjoyed reading his stuff, however ridiculous, but for a guy who probably gets payed a six or possibly seven figure salary to simply post whatever he wants on a website, and has achieved obscure fame due to it, please at least get the concert sale dates right. I'm sure some of you were aware of this issue and are with me on this.

Anyway, I give it about a 7 out of 10. All this bullshit about Maynard and the setlist, is exactly that. It's an exacted and powerful thing they do, and have been doing for 20 years now... to have been able to sustain it for that long, and share it with us has been an inspiring thing. You know a large part of it's subjective anyway - where you're sitting, your state of mind, every venue is different in every way, what you may have ingested heh, etc., etc. If I have accomplished half what they have and have half that energy in my late 40s I'll be content. And personally, I'd rather Maynard doesn't sing the last bit of Vicarious, and so on, so he can save what he does have left in him for the next album.

Quote:

And yes, there were some new things I observed. At least the first part of Pink Floyd's "On the Run" was played leading into Lost Keys. It's nothing special, and almost seems like a sarcastic offering to all those complaining about the setlist and lack of new material - But interesting none the less, in conjunction with Blair's "Ode to Gwinnett" poem. I have a few theories on it. Maybe they will eventually end up leading into and covering Time/Breathe, or since "Dogs" are mentioned in like every line of that poem, who knows. Also the "electronic sounding vamp" before Vicarious was definitely there - big time!, and if I go with my gut it was most definitely the seeds of something new. They always do those electronica interludes at every concert I've ever seen live and most post Aenema bootlegs, but this time it was different: Adam played a new little chord progression (nothing special, but still new to me), and Danny got into it with the pads - didn't see what Justin was doing. Then after quite a while of that Adam was on his knees playing his stomp boxes with his hands (for like a minute)... some pretty damn cool sounds, I thought. I got pretty excited thinking they were gonna play something new... then got the visuals and first notes of Vicarious. But yeah man it was there, it was definitely there. So I pray for the rest of you guys that by the end of the tour, maybe you'll get a cover of Time or even Dogs.

Oh yeah, since I don't post here much anymore - don't be surprised if 46&2 ends up on the Iron Man II soundtrack. Tom Morello is actually in the first one if you didn't know that (he plays a terrorist =), and for everyone who thinks they have never done a soundtrack - well Sweat is on "Escape From LA".

Peace out my new "roomates" heh...
Old 08-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Sixth show for me, since the Lateralus tour. Was bittersweet for several reasons. I took a newer friend, and he ended up not enjoying it, unfortunately - his whining sort of dragged me down. Also had some nosebleeder tix, primarily due to the fact that Blair announced the sale date of this show one day late on the website. I really do like Blair, and have emailed with him on a few occasions - always pleasant, but damnit man, Blair, you let me down this time... have always enjoyed reading his stuff, however ridiculous, but for a guy who probably gets payed a six or possibly seven figure salary to simply post whatever he wants on a website, and has achieved obscure fame due to it, please at least get the concert sale dates right. I'm sure some of you were aware of this issue and are with me on this.

Anyway, I give it about a 7 out of 10. All this bullshit about Maynard and the setlist, is exactly that. It's an exacted and powerful thing they do, and have been doing for 20 years now... to have been able to sustain it for that long, and share it with us has been an inspiring thing. You know a large part of it's subjective anyway - where you're sitting, your state of mind, every venue is different in every way, what you may have ingested heh, etc., etc. If I have accomplished half what they have and have half that energy in my late 40s I'll be content. And personally, I'd rather Maynard doesn't sing the last bit of Vicarious, and so on, so he can save what he does have left in him for the next album.

Quote:

And yes, there were some new things I observed. At least the first part of Pink Floyd's "On the Run" was played leading into Lost Keys. It's nothing special, and almost seems like a sarcastic offering to all those complaining about the setlist and lack of new material - But interesting none the less, in conjunction with Blair's "Ode to Gwinnett" poem. I have a few theories on it. Maybe they will eventually end up leading into and covering Time/Breathe, or since "Dogs" are mentioned in like every line of that poem, who knows. Also the "electronic sounding vamp" before Vicarious was definitely there - big time!, and if I go with my gut it was most definitely the seeds of something new. They always do those electronica interludes at every concert I've ever seen live and most post Aenema bootlegs, but this time it was different: Adam played a new little chord progression (nothing special, but still new to me), and Danny got into it with the pads - didn't see what Justin was doing. Then after quite a while of that Adam was on his knees playing his stomp boxes with his hands (for like a minute)... some pretty damn cool sounds, I thought. I got pretty excited thinking they were gonna play something new... then got the visuals and first notes of Vicarious. But yeah man it was there, it was definitely there. So I pray for the rest of you guys that by the end of the tour, maybe you'll get a cover of Time or even Dogs.

Oh yeah, since I don't post here much anymore - don't be surprised if 46&2 ends up on the Iron Man II soundtrack. Tom Morello is actually in the first one if you didn't know that (he plays a terrorist =), and for everyone who thinks they have never done a soundtrack - well Sweat is on "Escape From LA".

Peace out my new "roomates" heh...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply