opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/08 - Dallas, TX - McFarlin Auditorium

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66
Re: 2006/05/08 - Dallas, TX - McFarlin Auditorium

Same Setlist.
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Maynard said " I want to have a threesome with Rupert Murdoch and George Bush jr.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 05-08-2006 at 08:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

More to come later...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #4

Jambi was fucking amazing. They were a bit sloppy at the beginning, but really tightened up towards the end. I had a really good time, but unfortunately where I was sitting there was far too much bass and it really drowned out everything else. =(
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

I am completely speechless... somehow drove..........
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus
Same Setlist.
Maynard said " I want to have a threesome with Robert Murdoch and George Bush jr.
And he said L. Ron Hubbard should be the "fluffer" ;)

GREAT show. I'll post a review in the morning. (Damn ears ringing!!)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

My first Tool show and I don't think it can possibly get any better than this. I heard Rosetta Stoned from the Seattle show and they have already gotten much more in sync with each other. Ænema topped it off.

I can now die a happy death...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
BGA
Level 4 - Thinker

Turns out my seat didn't exist. sec A row b seat 1 and 2. The tour manager moved us to 2nd row pit dead center. Caught a water bottle from Maynard. The show was amazing and my ears are still ringing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #9

Bravo guys. The show from section N, row A was great. Awesome energy, well mixed. Highlights to come tomorrow. Like the man said, "smell ya later".
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i am truly amazed and speechless. i never knew a concert could be that powerful. it defently the best and can i say loudest concert ive ever been to. the acoustics in that place are the best i have ever heard. any ways side note something that was kind of cool. me and my friend that went did not have seats together but where about 5 rowas apart. i get there and theres a seat next to him where no one was sitting so i got to sit with my friend the whole show (he had a better view which topped it off). that was truly an experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #11

HAHAHA BGA, I saw you catch Maynard water bottle. Didn't you hand it off to the person behind you for a drink? I was LITERALLY the person right next to you in front of Justin. Those seats the radio station gave away were unreal. I was at the most 3 feet away from Justin the whole time, plus I didn't have to deal with any moshing or hitting from idiot fans.

I agree with the person above that said at first the sound was SLIGHTLY sloppy (Justin was a little too loud, and you couldn't quite hear Maynard), but after a couple songs the audio/mix was absolutely flawless.

I know this has been said before, but Justin really is one of the best bassist today in music. He really does things that I didn't even know are possible to do with a bass. I've seen a lot of bassist live (really good ones too), and he is easily the best.

Maynard didn't say much, but he was a little more active with the body gestures than I thought. He did make a couple funny comments about church sermoms though...something like "so this place is Methodist, and I'm supposed to tell everyone to praise the Lord and be against the Devil."

Danny of course was unreal. My friend doesn't know much about Tool, but he is a drummer, and he said Danny is the most amazing thing he has ever seen/heard. We both grabbed one of his drumsticks, but then it fell on the ground and some chick picked it up. Oh well.

Adam didn't have many mistakes that I noticed, but then again I'm not a guitarist so I probably wouldn't know. He seemed to be very relaxed and had a great time, and like usual showed his appreciation to the crowd by waving and smiling at the end.

Overall, an amazing show that I will never forget. I was touching the stage the entire time and everything was pretty much perfect. Those who went to this show should consider themselves VERY lucky.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

holy hell motherfucking yes. most intimate, orgasmic experience of my entire life. i had to restrain myself several times from leaping over the first overhang balcony onto those on the main floor. doesn't get any better than that man. "...we dedicate this next one to evil."
Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Hahaha, yeah he said that about Stinkfist. Justin truely is bad ass, I have never seen such a great bassist....his bass is what had me groovin more so than the guitar. Danny held down the fort great. I was off to the far left, 11th row sec A. You couldn't hear Maynard as good from there when he spoke, but the sound was excellent.

Ears were ringin from last night's Ministry concert, now they're clanging after this one!
A+
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Oh, btw, the security there was the absolute lamest thing I've ever experienced in my life. I was hoping and waiting for maynard to say something about how lame SMU was or its security. They were flashing flash lights into the crowd throughout the concert looking for people smoking weed. I was on the edge, so maybe I noticed this more so than anyone else. Still, thats the only downside to what was an overpowering assault on the ears.

www.fozlur.com
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

so i get to the show, couldnt find my seat because the guy at will call told me it was on the first balcony, turns out i had FRONT ROW seats, 5 feet from adam jones, the concert fuckin rocked and afterwards Adam threw out the pick and it landed on the stage, i tried to go for it and the guard pushed me back saying i couldnt go near the stage, eventually he let me grab the pick and then Adam came up to me and shook my hand and said he was really sorry about what the guard did, most awesome experience of my life. this was my 4th tool show by the way but by far the best, far out does any arena show they've ever done
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Jesus that was fucking awesome!!! Second time to see Tool and clearly the best, even though the first was an amazing assault of the senses. The band was of course awesome, definitely agree with the sloppy comments about the beginning but the rest was good. Maynard's vocals got drowned out a little sometimes from where I was sitting (Section D Row Y). Awesome setlist that played like a greatest hits lineup, and also really showed just how well the new stuff fits with the old stuff.

Did anyone else sit around a little after the show to see security carry that one dude out? Gee I wonder what he was on! ;) Btw $25 for that poster was a steal if you ask me.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Danny is a fucking MONSTER. Period. As incredible as the music was, the highlight of the show for me was seeing those guys embrace at the end of the encore (Lateralus/Aenima)......you can tell that this show, and all of them right now, are about four brilliant musicians connecting after 5 years with each other and their audience......AND NOBODY ELSE!!!

All that being said, let me reiterate what others have noted.....Justin makes things happen with a bass guitar that are unimaginable! The talent and creativity in this band is sick! I suspect that's why we all love them!

Those of you who are anticipating upcoming shows.....it was worth the wait, and it's worth whatever you have to pay.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

batcountry81... i saw Adam shake your hand... very cool. lets you know where these true gentlemen's hearts are...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

WOW! Tenth show and it was just as sweet, if not sweeter than the first. The new material sounded amazing. Jambi and The Pot were excellent. Rosetta Stoned is quickly becoming my favorite Tool song.

As soon as the curtain was pulled back it was sensory overload. I didn't know whether to watch Adam, Maynard, Danny or Justin or the screens. I will say though, I couldn't help but fixating on Justin. Every since 10,000 Days hit, I thought of it as "Justin's album". He really shines like never before on it. IMO, he stole the show..looking like fucking Jesus Christ, playing the shit out of that bass as if he was channeling some otherworldly force. Danny, of course, was amazing as always. That guy simply isn't human. My god.

On a side note, McFarlin Auditorium was absolutely beautiful. As was the entire SMU campus. What a great setting to see Tool in.

Last edited by tony.stacks; 05-08-2006 at 09:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstool
Danny is a fucking MONSTER. Period. As incredible as the music was, the highlight of the show for me was seeing those guys embrace at the end of the encore (Lateralus/Aenima)......you can tell that this show, and all of them right now, are about four brilliant musicians connecting after 5 years with each other and their audience......AND NOBODY ELSE!!!
My sentiments exactly.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

this was the best show of the 8 that i have been to so far. without a doubt. the setlist was (i think) close to what is posted above...

here's what i have...

1. Rosetta Stoned (i don't think that "lost key's (blame hoffman)" was in there
2. Stinkfist
3. the pot
4. 46&2
5. Jambi
6. Schism
7. The Patient (holy shit. full body orgazm)
(7.5) (...kind of an interlude, i think i recognized pieces of "Merkaba" but don't quote me)
8. Sober
9. Lateralus
(at this point, our heroes sit on maynard's risor and just, kind of, take in our adoration and pleading for more... so... what followed could be considered an encore...)
10. Vicarious
11. AEnima

so... an eleven song setlist, one and one (performers and audience) became one... almost 2 hours...

i was absolutely floored, sitting in the second balcony, frount row, seemed like i had an arial view of the whole show. this was the first show i've gone to by myself because none of my friends could get tickets and i could only manage to get one, but it was without a doubt the best i've seen to date... there were 2 people on either side of me that were experiencing TooL for the first time, and i was happy to guide them on their journey...

i thirst for more. i can't wait until the arena tour. i will try to go to at least 5 shows. and i'm sure that anyone else who was there tonight will say the same...

to the dude who was nxt to me who grabbed danny's signed drum head and almost went over the balcony doing it... you're welcome (i grabbed his belt and *maybe* kept him from going over), treasure your souvinere forever, don't even think of selling it...

...one note, i can't believe that there were people who showed up to the show with no tickets, stood in line next to me at the will call window, and managed to purchace tickets from the boxoffice at face value, and got floor seats... that's fucked. my seat in the sky was fine. in fakt i'm pretty happy about it, but i can't believe that there were people who got "better" seats that i did, at LITERALLY the last minute.

fuk ticketbastard, fuk their "conveniance charge", i'm praying for rain, and i hope that those capitalist scum are the first to be washed into zona bay... i wanna see the ground give way, and swallow their painfully greedy lives whole.

i am so grateful though to have been part of this...

thanx.

PeAcE...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

They did start out with Lost Keys for sure. Adam rocked it.
That's fucked up, how is it possible for someone to get tickets at the door at face value?

www.fozlur.com
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_be_faded
They did start out with Lost Keys for sure. Adam rocked it.
That's fucked up, how is it possible for someone to get tickets at the door at face value?

i stand corrected... i guess, as i've listened to the album, i didn't realize which song was lost keys... and that it just naturally flows into Rosetta Stoned... i guess without the dialogue in the middle it threw me off too...

...it was explaied to me that, there are a certain alottment of tickets set aside for the band, promoters, label cronies, etc... that aren't sold until the last minute if they are unclaimed... and, it's a big gamble, but, if you're one of the first in line you can get tickets at face value, AND they're usually good seats since they're reserved for "vip's" originally.

again i say... ... fucked up

PeAcE...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabula.rassa
this was the best show of the 8 that i have been to so far. without a doubt. the setlist was (i think) close to what is posted above...

here's what i have...

1. Rosetta Stoned (i don't think that "lost key's (blame hoffman)" was in there
2. Stinkfist
3. the pot
4. 46&2
5. Jambi
6. Schism
7. The Patient (holy shit. full body orgazm)
(7.5) (...kind of an interlude, i think i recognized pieces of "Merkaba" but don't quote me)
8. Sober
9. Lateralus
(at this point, our heroes sit on maynard's risor and just, kind of, take in our adoration and pleading for more... so... what followed could be considered an encore...)
10. Vicarious
11. AEnima

so... an eleven song setlist, one and one (performers and audience) became one... almost 2 hours...

i was absolutely floored, sitting in the second balcony, frount row, seemed like i had an arial view of the whole show. this was the first show i've gone to by myself because none of my friends could get tickets and i could only manage to get one, but it was without a doubt the best i've seen to date... there were 2 people on either side of me that were experiencing TooL for the first time, and i was happy to guide them on their journey...

i thirst for more. i can't wait until the arena tour. i will try to go to at least 5 shows. and i'm sure that anyone else who was there tonight will say the same...

to the dude who was nxt to me who grabbed danny's signed drum head and almost went over the balcony doing it... you're welcome (i grabbed his belt and *maybe* kept him from going over), treasure your souvinere forever, don't even think of selling it...

...one note, i can't believe that there were people who showed up to the show with no tickets, stood in line next to me at the will call window, and managed to purchace tickets from the boxoffice at face value, and got floor seats... that's fucked. my seat in the sky was fine. in fakt i'm pretty happy about it, but i can't believe that there were people who got "better" seats that i did, at LITERALLY the last minute.

fuk ticketbastard, fuk their "conveniance charge", i'm praying for rain, and i hope that those capitalist scum are the first to be washed into zona bay... i wanna see the ground give way, and swallow their painfully greedy lives whole.

i am so grateful though to have been part of this...

thanx.

PeAcE...
That is angering to the fullest degree about the fucks and the willcall ticket purchases. Two friends of mine and I literally pulled a two-day-stay-up-for-Tool-ticket-purchasing. But man, completely worth every last second spent desperatley waiting in line at the Fiesta off of Buckner Blvd for a chance at a ticket.

On a side note, did anyone else feel the amazing power of the first overhang balcony as it rocked along w/ all of our collective amazement? Did anyone else also not give a good flying fuck if it collapsed for some ungodly reason?

Just saying, is all. My heart is racing just recalling the pure glory bliss of the evening. i would say more but I forgot my pen, (sure to) shit the bed again.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabula.rassa

...it was explaied to me that, there are a certain alottment of tickets set aside for the band, promoters, label cronies, etc... that aren't sold until the last minute if they are unclaimed... and, it's a big gamble, but, if you're one of the first in line you can get tickets at face value, AND they're usually good seats since they're reserved for "vip's" originally.

again i say......fucked up

PeAcE...
Yeah that is a little fucked up. But the way I look at it is, I paid for the ticket and the piece of mind that comes with it. Knowing for sure I'd be seeing the show. In that sense, it was worth the ridiculous cost. Plus, you gotta figure those who were lucky enough to get those tickets were probably hard core fans who got shafted by TM and went to the show anyways, determined to get it.

On a side note, according to the folks behind be, row f was double-sold so they opened up that special section between the stage and row a for those whose seats were taken. That's a pretty stand up thing to do on the part of the venue.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

was there. think about what has changed in the music landscape over the last 4 years and they are just as relevant, if not more, now than then. superior musicians.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynard after Rosetta Stoned said "I'd like to dedicate this set to all things evil."

higlights for me were Stinkfist...a fucking great version of Sober, everything from 10,000 days, and Aenema, Justin went insane at the end.

In the middle of Jambi, Danny threw a stick into the crowd. Right before starting Aenema, Maynard said "smell ya later"

Last edited by dirtyrockstar; 05-08-2006 at 09:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

Oh good times... I won't be able to hear for a week though. Love the Nard's hair. Was anyone else constantly watching Adam thinking, "Better not fuck it up..."?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

didn't think i was gonna go, friend payed my way in... fuckin incredible show man... i got adam to sign a license suspension form i got from a cop when i got a dwi hahaha.. yes there is a bootleg, and i listened to it, i ran into the guy (i knew him from a system of a down msg board) that recorded it, smokin a joint down the street on the way back to the car.. it was awesome runnin into someone from the net so randomly.. anyway, bootleg of about half of the show (sounds awesome) should be up soon...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongi
Oh good times... I won't be able to hear for a week though. Love the Nard's hair. Was anyone else constantly watching Adam thinking, "Better not fuck it up..."?
funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing about how they know what they are a part of and totally respect it. These guys demand such excellence from each other.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

I saw Tool last week at coachella, and this show did not even compare to that. This was the worst display of tool fans I have ever seen. At one point, I noticed that people began sitting down in the middle of the set, to which I replied "Wake up fuckers". At coachella, it was hard to even distinguish Maynards voice due to the fact that every single person there seemed to know every word to every tool song, like it was seond nature. The lack luster crowd was a serious disappointment. The set list was pretty much the same, but still owned. Once again, Sober was the best display of their musical genius, Lateralis got the crowd amped, and Anemia was the perfect finish. Hopefully if they do return, it won't be at Smirnoff, god I hate that venue.

Last edited by ecg0792; 05-08-2006 at 10:29 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #32
lo taca te puete

Bincount™: 542

Wow. i'm speechless. the three maynardisms i heard were

1. "We'd like to dedicate this show to all things evil.... like degrading family values... you know.. satan stuff."

2. "it was a real treat. the only thing that would make it better would be a 3some with Rupert Murdock and GW. Maybe throw in L. Ron Hubbard as the pivot man."

3. "smell ya later"

rhythm section was badass. does anyone else think justin chancellor looks alot like jesus christ?

Last edited by thumphrey05; 05-09-2006 at 05:57 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumphrey05
does anyone else think justin chancellor looks alot like jesus christ?
Oh yeah, big time...with that hair and the beard. Plus, I'd imagine if J.C. played bass, it would sound like something similar to Justin.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 706

Beautiful show. I'll have a full review in the morning.

At the end of the show I stuck around by the tour busses, shook Danny Carey's hand and complemented him on the show. He was very humbled by the 20 or 30 of us that were hanging out back there and shook everyone's hand and thanked us for coming. Almost got an autograph from Justin (he stopped signing right as I got to him). Fuckin A.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

Cool. Apologize for the Dallas fans. its been 4+years since I've seen them here and it was certainly a different crowd than last time. Would have loved to see them in a venue like Coachella. What do you think will be the biggest difference when they do their arena tour?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

My buddy and I were in Sec E row T and wives got section A row H (don't ask me how they got closer it's not a funny story). Anyway, between my wife and I we've seen Tool somewhere around 15 times collectively and this was by far one of the very best. The vocals were kind of hard to hear at some points and the beginning was a little sketchy but that just served to add character to the show. The band really looked laid back and "personable". Justin was very, very good!! It was cool to see Adam use the "peter frampton" voice box, and M's belt buckle was funny as hell. Danny was on another level altogether but that's nothing new for him. The only problem I had was 50 dollars for a shirt and the best shirt on the wall (# 5) was for women only.
every rule?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Got some good pics and vid clips from section N, will post up tomorrow. Just got back to Austin, and I'm going to sleep! GREAT fucking show, was the 4th time I've seen TOOL and they are better than ever :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVilliam
The only problem I had was 50 dollars for a shirt and the best shirt on the wall (# 5) was for women only.
I thought the same thing, so I just took the poster only. 3rd Tool show. First Balcony, row F. You could feel the bass drum in the floor even before they played the first song. Once the recognizable intro to Stinkfist came, the energy was gushing from the crowd. The people were so hyped that you could feel the whole balcony swaying.(And not just a little bit!) It was simply amazing and I found myself picturing the entire thing falling onto the people below us and trying to figure out if the thing would flip over or fall straight down. The sway never reached that point again through the rest of the show. But the energy stayed high. Maybe some lame folks sitting down on the floor level, but First balcony was raging. Maynard was drowned out by the crowd singing on many songs. I thought the band handled all issues with professionalism and I don't need to mention that they fucking rocked the house. The guards were annoying at the worst and not much else(Camera nazi's mostly). That was one of the loudest shows I've been to over the years and a wonderful venue. I had a great view of the entire stage. Woulda loved to hear Right in Two, but it doesn't matter.

"I'd like to dedicate this set to all things evil"
"Smell ya later"
Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #39
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Just got back into the ATX from show and am still buzzing from it. Words can't do it justice. Setlist was pretty much the same as previous shows. The white shirt was cool looking so I bought one at $35. :) Maynard looked like he was into the show and Justin kicked ass.

"The only thing better than this would be a 3-way with Rupert Murdoch and GW." MJK
"Smell ya later." As the band went into Aenima

Thanks to OperativeX and his buddy for the ride upto the show and a good time. We'll keep in touch. Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 03:16 AM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

This was my first show for them and I've been a fan for a long long time.

I'm not going to detail the songs, that's been done but I will talk about the specifics as to why Danny is so good.

Druing Rosetta Stoned when it opens up in the middle with the Bass riff and you hear those (tablaish sounding drums) Danny is not triggering a sample pattern. He's actually playing doubles and paradiddles through that while maintaining that killer beat that is probably in 7. This is what makes him such a good drummer. The interdependence with all four limbs.

I have a feeling that they felt like Dallas was a pumpin' show. We gave them a lot of energy. I thought I hear Maynard say that "it was a real treat".

Also, Blair Blake was there.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: