Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
Jorge's Avatar Jorge
07-21-2009, 09:53 PM

This show changed my life. I bought tickets when they played in the small venue in vegas, but then danny tore his bicept and I couldn't make it to the other date. Then I bought tickets when they rolled through missoula, MT for 10k days, maynard had a throat infection, and they cancelled that show. So now, on my third ticket purchase, I FINALLY got to see them! (before they all need canes)

I'm really surprised by all the negative reviews. I don't think its necessary to rebut all the complaints, but I just don't see how a tool fan could not enjoy the show. I would pay the price again tomorrow to hear the same exact setlist. I've listened to every tool song sooo many times, but to see them looking into each other's eyes, reading each other, feeding off each other, improvising, jamming - was beautiful.

A funny highlight for me: before lateralus when maynard says "we have a very special guest tonight", this drunk ass next to me starts screaming "LARS ULRICH! LARS ULRICH! LARS ULRICH!" After maynards pause to build the suspense... "boobies!" haha! and then into lateralus which, for me, was the highlight. Danny really let loose in the intro, which I never saw coming. It was like hearing the song for the first time. Unbelievable.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: 07.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

This show changed my life. I bought tickets when they played in the small venue in vegas, but then danny tore his bicept and I couldn't make it to the other date. Then I bought tickets when they rolled through missoula, MT for 10k days, maynard had a throat infection, and they cancelled that show. So now, on my third ticket purchase, I FINALLY got to see them! (before they all need canes)

I'm really surprised by all the negative reviews. I don't think its necessary to rebut all the complaints, but I just don't see how a tool fan could not enjoy the show. I would pay the price again tomorrow to hear the same exact setlist. I've listened to every tool song sooo many times, but to see them looking into each other's eyes, reading each other, feeding off each other, improvising, jamming - was beautiful.

A funny highlight for me: before lateralus when maynard says "we have a very special guest tonight", this drunk ass next to me starts screaming "LARS ULRICH! LARS ULRICH! LARS ULRICH!" After maynards pause to build the suspense... "boobies!" haha! and then into lateralus which, for me, was the highlight. Danny really let loose in the intro, which I never saw coming. It was like hearing the song for the first time. Unbelievable.
OFFLINE |  
licks and teeches's Avatar licks and teeches
07-21-2009, 10:12 PM

i thought that the show was fuckin kick ass,the new visuals were really awesome.the video for vicarious was used during that song relly freshened up that tune for me,this was my 7th show.The crowd was really intense,and I know that TOOL made quite an impression on alot of people.The next day I had several people talk to me about their show,completely blown away.Some "spreadheads" told me that the crowd was wasted for widespread panic having to follow TOOL(for 3 hours no less!)I know that my wife and I were done after TOOL straight put it down out @Mile High Music Festival!!We are seeing them again tomorrow in Rio Rancho Can't wait!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

i thought that the show was fuckin kick ass,the new visuals were really awesome.the video for vicarious was used during that song relly freshened up that tune for me,this was my 7th show.The crowd was really intense,and I know that TOOL made quite an impression on alot of people.The next day I had several people talk to me about their show,completely blown away.Some "spreadheads" told me that the crowd was wasted for widespread panic having to follow TOOL(for 3 hours no less!)I know that my wife and I were done after TOOL straight put it down out @Mile High Music Festival!!We are seeing them again tomorrow in Rio Rancho Can't wait!!!
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM

3rd show drove up by myself from SLC slept in Laramie Wyoming gas station parking lot. I haven't been to a fest show before so was excited. The Black Keys came on before TOOL at a nearby tent after Incubus bored me-saw Inc in New Zealand high school gym they destroyed it. I saw TBK in SLC two days before today although in Denver they were super into it-definitely pumped me up for TOOL. TBK are from Ohio where MJK is from sorta. I liked the guest drummer TBK's Patrick Carney's bongo drum whatever he did with Lateralus. It was a nice new twist on the song. BTW it wasn't a drum off like DC did w/ Trans Am in '07 or like I heard DC did w/ Meshuggah drummer on Lateralus tour. PC is shy and resembles Jermaine from Flight of the Concords so he looked out of his element.

I completely agreed w/ poster "Frosty Nugs" dissertation but then "The Maestro" (Seinfeld episode?) came in with a really good reply to FN that made me think twice and finally yaco03 really ended that debate with his art speech which I appreciated reading. Thank you all for sharing good insights-I love this site.

Ok so all of the stats of the show have been disc so I will stick to my thoughts and feelings on said stats. I felt like I could die on drive home and be happy after being transfigured at the show. Seeing the stars in sky above and just a sea of people on either side getting lost between the sounds really did it for me. I had a strong craving for knowledge after the show like I wanted to read-it was weird. Instead I bought some ground up magic shroom honey sucker on a wendys spoon tied with a ribbon bow from a kid on sidewalk. That should be interesting. I showered at that nearby TA truck stop for $10 before driving home. I was thirsty now for living water so put on Salival and rededicated myself to living in the moment.

Going back to the Mile High Fest here may I comment on TOOL's apparent random or improv intro/outro/interludes etc? I loved it! I have read that Led Zeppelin were often criticized for doing their crazy 30 min live songs rather than sticking to the studio material. Kids wanted to see them play what they heard on the radio not drift off into seemingly sloppy solos. The LZ live albums are my favorite so to hear TOOL do some of that thrilled me. I felt rather edified from the experience(s).

Last edited by drawesome; 07-22-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

3rd show drove up by myself from SLC slept in Laramie Wyoming gas station parking lot. I haven't been to a fest show before so was excited. The Black Keys came on before TOOL at a nearby tent after Incubus bored me-saw Inc in New Zealand high school gym they destroyed it. I saw TBK in SLC two days before today although in Denver they were super into it-definitely pumped me up for TOOL. TBK are from Ohio where MJK is from sorta. I liked the guest drummer TBK's Patrick Carney's bongo drum whatever he did with Lateralus. It was a nice new twist on the song. BTW it wasn't a drum off like DC did w/ Trans Am in '07 or like I heard DC did w/ Meshuggah drummer on Lateralus tour. PC is shy and resembles Jermaine from Flight of the Concords so he looked out of his element.

I completely agreed w/ poster "Frosty Nugs" dissertation but then "The Maestro" (Seinfeld episode?) came in with a really good reply to FN that made me think twice and finally yaco03 really ended that debate with his art speech which I appreciated reading. Thank you all for sharing good insights-I love this site.

Ok so all of the stats of the show have been disc so I will stick to my thoughts and feelings on said stats. I felt like I could die on drive home and be happy after being transfigured at the show. Seeing the stars in sky above and just a sea of people on either side getting lost between the sounds really did it for me. I had a strong craving for knowledge after the show like I wanted to read-it was weird. Instead I bought some ground up magic shroom honey sucker on a wendys spoon tied with a ribbon bow from a kid on sidewalk. That should be interesting. I showered at that nearby TA truck stop for $10 before driving home. I was thirsty now for living water so put on Salival and rededicated myself to living in the moment.

Going back to the Mile High Fest here may I comment on TOOL's apparent random or improv intro/outro/interludes etc? I loved it! I have read that Led Zeppelin were often criticized for doing their crazy 30 min live songs rather than sticking to the studio material. Kids wanted to see them play what they heard on the radio not drift off into seemingly sloppy solos. The LZ live albums are my favorite so to hear TOOL do some of that thrilled me. I felt rather edified from the experience(s).

Last edited by drawesome; 07-22-2009 at 01:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
manny214's Avatar manny214
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM

4th TOOL show (1st time seeing them at a festival)

Ok, all these negative people with negative comments, go listen to jonas brothers if your gonna complain about tool live.maybe you'll have fun there screaming with the rest of the girls..

anyways, what a great freakin show!! keeps getting better IMO.

came down from dallas,tx to denver for the mile high festival(TOOL) (visited some friends)

cant really add much, besides it being another great tool experience.

junior! great work on the visuals and lasers man!

my favorite part of the set was manyard dancing, just moving his body, being active. ALIVE!

but my favorite songs had to had been lateralus and flood. man i love those songs.

and i love how they always come up to the front of the stage and soak in the love with give them..them standing there, waving and such. man its such a great picture.

anyways, i got me a pit ticket for saturday's show. man i cant wait. im gonna have my third eye ready..wooo!

one more thing i couldnt take nomore of the yelling, "fucking tool", damn it got on my nerves, haha. damn drunk bastards.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

4th TOOL show (1st time seeing them at a festival)

Ok, all these negative people with negative comments, go listen to jonas brothers if your gonna complain about tool live.maybe you'll have fun there screaming with the rest of the girls..

anyways, what a great freakin show!! keeps getting better IMO.

came down from dallas,tx to denver for the mile high festival(TOOL) (visited some friends)

cant really add much, besides it being another great tool experience.

junior! great work on the visuals and lasers man!

my favorite part of the set was manyard dancing, just moving his body, being active. ALIVE!

but my favorite songs had to had been lateralus and flood. man i love those songs.

and i love how they always come up to the front of the stage and soak in the love with give them..them standing there, waving and such. man its such a great picture.

anyways, i got me a pit ticket for saturday's show. man i cant wait. im gonna have my third eye ready..wooo!

one more thing i couldnt take nomore of the yelling, "fucking tool", damn it got on my nerves, haha. damn drunk bastards.
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Considering this was only my third Tool show and my first in a music-fest setting I was more than pleased with it. The last show I'd seen was their 10,000 day gig up in Seattle @ the Paramount(?) when the album was released. Back then they hadn't dialed in the light show so this time around I was treated to something of a more refined product and had absolutely no complaints. From the ever shifting backdrop imagery along with the sweeping banks of lasers and the two side-screens I think it was a choice addition to the tunes. I'm guessing the white coats that folks on the stage were wearing was intended to not disrupt the the visual effect of the lasers.

I was squished like a happy sardine in the crowd about 30 feet back from stage center and near the middle path leading to the lighting stage and enjoyed a decent view of all the band members at various points of the show. As they finally took the stage and the first notes of Jambi started up there was a mad rush of people from the back of the crowd that crushed everyone further towards the stage. There was a bit of shoving as we recoiled and shoved everyone back. Talk about fighting my herd instinct....I was just a bit smokey and had a nice 'shroom body-high at stake and once the crowd stabilized and got into a good vibe it was a blast.

There's nothing better than being a tool head and singing along here and there (I know, to some people's annoyance, because I wanted some folks to shut up, too) and working up a good head-bang as lateralus moved from the simply melody and bust into the main riff. It was contagious because about 5 people deep all around felt the groove and started into it, full body, as well. I couldn't help but grin over the rush of it all.

I liked some of the extra instrumental the guys put into a couple of the songs. The work that Danny did on his old electronics along with Justin toying with the feedback and Adam putting in the rhythm was a fun build up into Rosseta Stoned (correct me if I'm wrong but I wasn't jotting notes at the time).

Yes, there was some flubs here and there and I find hit hard to believe that some people would actually be pissed about that. If it was a freaking trainwreck of a screw-up yeah, that'd suck, but they kept going and marched on through the show. I really enjoyed some of Danny's drumming. The dude is a freaking power house of an ox behind that kit. I got a good laugh at the sight of Justin with his hair waving by the blast of the fan. He looked like some latin, beach-bum version of Jesus rawkin the bass. The drummer from the Black Keys seemed a bit out of place and probably a little more than intimidated with Danny drumming behind him. I don't blame him for running off. I found Maynard's interaction not that much more than what I've seen in the past couple of shows. I would say he was a bit more restrained than normal. There were times during some of the songs where he was practically inaudible amongst the rest of the music and going back to those folks singing along, it would've been nice to catch some of the songs with just mjk doing the singing.

The circular symbol mentioned earlier is used frequently in their shows and normally hangs in their studio. I'm surprised it wasn't recognized as such. Blair jokingly refers to it as a 'devil-board' in one of his 2006 newsletters. I believe it's a play off of the Sigillum Dei Ameth popularized by John Dee.

Anyway, maybe I'm fortunate not to have over-watched a live Tool show and end up bitter that their setlist wasn't flexible. For me it was a great audio and visual treat made even better since I got to meet up with my Toolhead buddy Callie, her buddy Reggie from down under and her peeps from Colorado Springs. Of course I wanted all my personal favs to be played. Of course I wanted that encore that I never get. But considering it was their first show of the summer I'm sure they just wanted to ensure they put out a solid performance and get a feel for the crowd. Chances are folks going to their later shows will get treated to a bit more than we did on Saturday. That being the case, then I'll start whining about what I didn't get. and in closing...Flood live was a nice treat.
~meep out.

Last edited by Tantobourne; 07-24-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #45
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64

Considering this was only my third Tool show and my first in a music-fest setting I was more than pleased with it. The last show I'd seen was their 10,000 day gig up in Seattle @ the Paramount(?) when the album was released. Back then they hadn't dialed in the light show so this time around I was treated to something of a more refined product and had absolutely no complaints. From the ever shifting backdrop imagery along with the sweeping banks of lasers and the two side-screens I think it was a choice addition to the tunes. I'm guessing the white coats that folks on the stage were wearing was intended to not disrupt the the visual effect of the lasers.

I was squished like a happy sardine in the crowd about 30 feet back from stage center and near the middle path leading to the lighting stage and enjoyed a decent view of all the band members at various points of the show. As they finally took the stage and the first notes of Jambi started up there was a mad rush of people from the back of the crowd that crushed everyone further towards the stage. There was a bit of shoving as we recoiled and shoved everyone back. Talk about fighting my herd instinct....I was just a bit smokey and had a nice 'shroom body-high at stake and once the crowd stabilized and got into a good vibe it was a blast.

There's nothing better than being a tool head and singing along here and there (I know, to some people's annoyance, because I wanted some folks to shut up, too) and working up a good head-bang as lateralus moved from the simply melody and bust into the main riff. It was contagious because about 5 people deep all around felt the groove and started into it, full body, as well. I couldn't help but grin over the rush of it all.

I liked some of the extra instrumental the guys put into a couple of the songs. The work that Danny did on his old electronics along with Justin toying with the feedback and Adam putting in the rhythm was a fun build up into Rosseta Stoned (correct me if I'm wrong but I wasn't jotting notes at the time).

Yes, there was some flubs here and there and I find hit hard to believe that some people would actually be pissed about that. If it was a freaking trainwreck of a screw-up yeah, that'd suck, but they kept going and marched on through the show. I really enjoyed some of Danny's drumming. The dude is a freaking power house of an ox behind that kit. I got a good laugh at the sight of Justin with his hair waving by the blast of the fan. He looked like some latin, beach-bum version of Jesus rawkin the bass. The drummer from the Black Keys seemed a bit out of place and probably a little more than intimidated with Danny drumming behind him. I don't blame him for running off. I found Maynard's interaction not that much more than what I've seen in the past couple of shows. I would say he was a bit more restrained than normal. There were times during some of the songs where he was practically inaudible amongst the rest of the music and going back to those folks singing along, it would've been nice to catch some of the songs with just mjk doing the singing.

The circular symbol mentioned earlier is used frequently in their shows and normally hangs in their studio. I'm surprised it wasn't recognized as such. Blair jokingly refers to it as a 'devil-board' in one of his 2006 newsletters. I believe it's a play off of the Sigillum Dei Ameth popularized by John Dee.

Anyway, maybe I'm fortunate not to have over-watched a live Tool show and end up bitter that their setlist wasn't flexible. For me it was a great audio and visual treat made even better since I got to meet up with my Toolhead buddy Callie, her buddy Reggie from down under and her peeps from Colorado Springs. Of course I wanted all my personal favs to be played. Of course I wanted that encore that I never get. But considering it was their first show of the summer I'm sure they just wanted to ensure they put out a solid performance and get a feel for the crowd. Chances are folks going to their later shows will get treated to a bit more than we did on Saturday. That being the case, then I'll start whining about what I didn't get. and in closing...Flood live was a nice treat.
~meep out.

Last edited by Tantobourne; 07-24-2009 at 05:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
twiztidfreak
08-04-2009, 09:38 PM

I drove for Albuquerque for the show about 8 hours and was very excited to see tool for the 4th time. For the most part show was great, espically since it was my first time seeing tool with general admission tickets which made it such a better experience for me. Set list was rather disappointing same songs i herd the other 3 times but still an amazing show. Vocals seemed REALLY low up close to the stage where i was and could hardly hear maynard most the show. was really hoping for something a special, Had read a wuote from Adam in rolling stone saying they might toss in a few covers and play something they normally dont (think it was the issue with green day on the cover a few month back) but sadly no. Also attended the Rio rancho show excat same expierence and definetly got my moneys worth so im happy. Still got one more show tosee in Pamona, CA hope they pull out something specail being its pratically LA will see and still cant wait even if its the same setlist again :)
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

I drove for Albuquerque for the show about 8 hours and was very excited to see tool for the 4th time. For the most part show was great, espically since it was my first time seeing tool with general admission tickets which made it such a better experience for me. Set list was rather disappointing same songs i herd the other 3 times but still an amazing show. Vocals seemed REALLY low up close to the stage where i was and could hardly hear maynard most the show. was really hoping for something a special, Had read a wuote from Adam in rolling stone saying they might toss in a few covers and play something they normally dont (think it was the issue with green day on the cover a few month back) but sadly no. Also attended the Rio rancho show excat same expierence and definetly got my moneys worth so im happy. Still got one more show tosee in Pamona, CA hope they pull out something specail being its pratically LA will see and still cant wait even if its the same setlist again :)
OFFLINE |  
RLSwift
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Did anybody else hear what Maynard said as the Black Keys guy came on stage?

Before they began Lateralus, Maynard expressed his obvious discontent for the idea of someone joining them, "we have a special guest for you tonight, brought to you by...boobies...Patrick from the Black Keys. Not now of course..." Then as the band did the breakdown in the middle, the duh-duh-duh-duh bass key, he says, "here comes that (something) little faggot now."

Then Maynard leaves the stage for what seemed like an unexpected period of time because nothing really happened on stage. Then Maynard returns for his vocal part dressed like what I thought was a whore.

This is an obvious parody, and a statement. They're becoming this commercial joke, and if not all of them are aware of it, then Maynard is, and he said it that night on stage.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anybody else hear what Maynard said as the Black Keys guy came on stage?

Before they began Lateralus, Maynard expressed his obvious discontent for the idea of someone joining them, "we have a special guest for you tonight, brought to you by...boobies...Patrick from the Black Keys. Not now of course..." Then as the band did the breakdown in the middle, the duh-duh-duh-duh bass key, he says, "here comes that (something) little faggot now."

Then Maynard leaves the stage for what seemed like an unexpected period of time because nothing really happened on stage. Then Maynard returns for his vocal part dressed like what I thought was a whore.

This is an obvious parody, and a statement. They're becoming this commercial joke, and if not all of them are aware of it, then Maynard is, and he said it that night on stage.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone?
OFFLINE |  
mauser337
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM

First show for me in seven years and only the second show ever. Got pretty close. They started playing at sunset, and one of my fondest memories is the orange glow coming from behind the stage followed by the intro to Jambi and then the orange visuals... perfect.

The crowd was fine until the show started... then the douchebags came out. I was maybe forty feet from the stage and that meant all the tards that wanted to push through to the front were gonna try and push by me. I just don't understand people.

The setlist was alright. Not very exciting, and I was hoping for more. However, being the opening show and at a festival I expected an abbreviated set. That is why I bought tickets for the show the next night in Salt Lake City....
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

First show for me in seven years and only the second show ever. Got pretty close. They started playing at sunset, and one of my fondest memories is the orange glow coming from behind the stage followed by the intro to Jambi and then the orange visuals... perfect.

The crowd was fine until the show started... then the douchebags came out. I was maybe forty feet from the stage and that meant all the tards that wanted to push through to the front were gonna try and push by me. I just don't understand people.

The setlist was alright. Not very exciting, and I was hoping for more. However, being the opening show and at a festival I expected an abbreviated set. That is why I bought tickets for the show the next night in Salt Lake City....
OFFLINE |  
manny214's Avatar manny214
08-06-2009, 10:46 AM

can anyone help and tell me where i can buy a tool tour poster for the mile high fest?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

can anyone help and tell me where i can buy a tool tour poster for the mile high fest?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply