Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
deerollman's Avatar deerollman
05-08-2006, 12:42 PM

While i knew this song was about death, i didnt know until i read these forums that it was about his mom. when did she die?

to be perfectly honest, so far i havent cared for this track or the next. however i lost my mom rather unexpectedly in december, so what a fucking coinkydink that my favorite band would headline their new album with such a song. i need to go back and listen to this song a few more times- maybe it will allow me to finally cry. the experience is quite brutal, and from what ive read he lost his mom after a long illness, so i imagine we had a somewhat similar experience of watching our mother die in a hospital. thank god they didnt put the respirator sounds in the song- that would be over the top for me. if any of you watch the sopranos, man those first few episodes were very hard for me.

anyway, ill go listen to the song again...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Noob Comments

While i knew this song was about death, i didnt know until i read these forums that it was about his mom. when did she die?

to be perfectly honest, so far i havent cared for this track or the next. however i lost my mom rather unexpectedly in december, so what a fucking coinkydink that my favorite band would headline their new album with such a song. i need to go back and listen to this song a few more times- maybe it will allow me to finally cry. the experience is quite brutal, and from what ive read he lost his mom after a long illness, so i imagine we had a somewhat similar experience of watching our mother die in a hospital. thank god they didnt put the respirator sounds in the song- that would be over the top for me. if any of you watch the sopranos, man those first few episodes were very hard for me.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
TOOLwrench's Avatar TOOLwrench
05-08-2006, 12:43 PM

sorry for your loss...............
Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Noob Comments

sorry for your loss...............
foursixandtwo's Avatar foursixandtwo
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerollman

she died on June 18th '03. She died of complications from a brain aneurysm suffered 27 years before. My mom is pretty sick so I know what it is like (sort of) to see your mom in a bad condition and I am very sorry for your loss.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:

she died on June 18th '03. She died of complications from a brain aneurysm suffered 27 years before. My mom is pretty sick so I know what it is like (sort of) to see your mom in a bad condition and I am very sorry for your loss.
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM

my condolences to you and yours
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

my condolences to you and yours
05-12-2006, 08:35 AM

Condolances to you.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Condolances to you.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM

Sorry about your mom, deerollman.

I agree with your re-evaluation: Listen to the song again. It is profoundly emotional, and the structure of the melody really transports you out there. I love it more everytime I listen to it. It reminds me of my grandmother who was a religious freak 'til the moment she died. I always loved her, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying I can totally relate to what MJK is trying to convey (minus the Judith rant).
Old 05-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Sorry about your mom, deerollman.

I agree with your re-evaluation: Listen to the song again. It is profoundly emotional, and the structure of the melody really transports you out there. I love it more everytime I listen to it. It reminds me of my grandmother who was a religious freak 'til the moment she died. I always loved her, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying I can totally relate to what MJK is trying to convey (minus the Judith rant).
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
06-12-2006, 09:55 AM

i was thinking the same thing, my dad had an aneurysm and stroke in 1999, so this week is the 7th anniversary of that...hmm, maybe i should write a song called 3000 days?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

i was thinking the same thing, my dad had an aneurysm and stroke in 1999, so this week is the 7th anniversary of that...hmm, maybe i should write a song called 3000 days?
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:

How bout that season of the Sopranos. Totally lame.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:

swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-12-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
Little bit off topic, don't you think?
But I'll pull through
Old 06-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
But I'll pull through
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-12-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I still have my mother, but I watched my grandmother deal with thirteen years of dimensia and neural deterioration (parkinson's and epilepsy) and I feel very deeply moved by Maynard's downpour of emotion. Condolences to you on the loss of your mother, and I hope that Maynard can help you to come to terms with it.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:

I still have my mother, but I watched my grandmother deal with thirteen years of dimensia and neural deterioration (parkinson's and epilepsy) and I feel very deeply moved by Maynard's downpour of emotion. Condolences to you on the loss of your mother, and I hope that Maynard can help you to come to terms with it.
But I'll pull through
concer
11-29-2011, 11:22 PM

I first came to this forum, I feel this forum is not active. Why not join some of the topics that should have been then do not talk
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

I first came to this forum, I feel this forum is not active. Why not join some of the topics that should have been then do not talk
01-18-2012, 04:35 PM

This is a swoot song.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

This is a swoot song.
02-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyfool View Post
Paahahaha. that was hilarious. who talks about sopranoes in a tool website? lol
Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyfool View Post
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReapersFriend View Post
The same people who reply to 5+ year old posts.......
Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReapersFriend View Post
The same people who reply to 5+ year old posts.......

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply