opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Lateral Us

I believe this is quite possibly a meaning of the title and of the album itself.

I just recently did a persuasive presentation for my communications class on "Why lefties are the Evolved Humans." Part of my reasoning was the thicker corpus collosum which is the tissue that connects the two hemispheres of our brain. These hemispheres have different functions. The human brain, from what research has told us... started out as working equally with both hemispheres. With the advent of language the brain shifted from a whole functioning system... to an asymmetric system.. and this is called LATERALlization... i believe that Lateralus may actually be the combination of simply the words, lateral and us. As you read the lyrics, if you have any idea of what actually he is talking about in a scientific and psychological manner it is very consistent with what i am saying. Being in a lateral frame of mind is black and white, one side or the other, and not integrating both points of views for a better view of the whole of reality. Rather than a Dualistic frame of mind (brain hemispheres predominantly seperate) we need an integrated cooperation of both, working as one.
Left brained, which we consider most of the world, or at least Western civilization is considered to be logical, less creative, and structured in materialism and categorizing objects, as well as keeping track of squences. If you look at the lyrics there is a definite spiritual evolution type of theme going on in the album... the grudge starting off the album (grudge between two hemispheres, or at least the perspectives they represent) 'Give away the stone, let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold', 'crucify the ego before it's far too late', 'remember we are eternal all this pain is an illusion','I KNOW THE PIECES FIT!'. So oddly, though tool's reputation is very discrete and secretive, and what they say can mean so many things i am pretty positive that this is what is meant by the title. That we have to become bilateral again, using both perspectives, creative and logical, rational and irrational, materialistic and spiritual, to make the world a better place. I can't think of which one it is, but the dan brown book with Gallileo and Bernini? or Bercelli? something like that and his statues and how they were really staring the Church right in the face, but still left unnoticed.
So, as part of our evolution, we began bilateral, when language was added we developed a specialized hemisphere for it, but 10% of the population stayed bilateral to keep it around and allow for creative cultural evolution, and now the next step is to go back to bilateral with language because it the necessary next step, especially in these chaotic times. I am not saying that there are not alchemic references as well; alchemy actually reinforces what i am saying, especially lateralus (black, white, yellow, red) and the grudge's 'leaden grudges into gold.'

Spiral Out, Keep Going...

Paul
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 16122
Re: Lateral Us

its definately a good interpretation; on a personalized level
Old 04-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Not only good, the closest to something really relevant
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #4

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragextool
I believe this is quite possibly a meaning of the title and of the album itself.

I just recently did a persuasive presentation for my communications class on "Why lefties are the Evolved Humans." Part of my reasoning was the thicker corpus collosum which is the tissue that connects the two hemispheres of our brain. These hemispheres have different functions. The human brain, from what research has told us... started out as working equally with both hemispheres. With the advent of language the brain shifted from a whole functioning system... to an asymmetric system.. and this is called LATERALlization... i believe that Lateralus may actually be the combination of simply the words, lateral and us. As you read the lyrics, if you have any idea of what actually he is talking about in a scientific and psychological manner it is very consistent with what i am saying. Being in a lateral frame of mind is black and white, one side or the other, and not integrating both points of views for a better view of the whole of reality. Rather than a Dualistic frame of mind (brain hemispheres predominantly seperate) we need an integrated cooperation of both, working as one.
Left brained, which we consider most of the world, or at least Western civilization is considered to be logical, less creative, and structured in materialism and categorizing objects, as well as keeping track of squences. If you look at the lyrics there is a definite spiritual evolution type of theme going on in the album... the grudge starting off the album (grudge between two hemispheres, or at least the perspectives they represent) 'Give away the stone, let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold', 'crucify the ego before it's far too late', 'remember we are eternal all this pain is an illusion','I KNOW THE PIECES FIT!'. So oddly, though tool's reputation is very discrete and secretive, and what they say can mean so many things i am pretty positive that this is what is meant by the title. That we have to become bilateral again, using both perspectives, creative and logical, rational and irrational, materialistic and spiritual, to make the world a better place. I can't think of which one it is, but the dan brown book with Gallileo and Bernini? or Bercelli? something like that and his statues and how they were really staring the Church right in the face, but still left unnoticed.
So, as part of our evolution, we began bilateral, when language was added we developed a specialized hemisphere for it, but 10% of the population stayed bilateral to keep it around and allow for creative cultural evolution, and now the next step is to go back to bilateral with language because it the necessary next step, especially in these chaotic times. I am not saying that there are not alchemic references as well; alchemy actually reinforces what i am saying, especially lateralus (black, white, yellow, red) and the grudge's 'leaden grudges into gold.'

Spiral Out, Keep Going...

Paul
I think you're right about some things, but you're reading too much into what the album means. I think the album is about reconnecting in a personal sense, rather than a deep and spiritual one. It sounds dumb, but it's really a were-getting-the band-back-together album. The choice of track sequencing is beautiful--it chronicals the challenges the band faces while trying to produce an album after enormous tumult: long legal battles, losing a band member, etc. The end message is that, despite the suffering and bullshit they have to put up with to make music, it's all worth it in the end. That's it. They aren't scientiests or theologians-- I wouldn't try to look for a deeper message in this album.

Edit: I think you are really keen to pick out the "Lateral Us" bit. I think this is what they had in mind in choosing the title -- something alongs the lines of "were in this together, even though were not sure if were moving any further than this"

Last edited by ifrigginghatethis; 05-05-2006 at 09:21 PM..
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Pretty much. I've always thought this. Lateralus is a combination of lateral and us. It's not an actual word. It's the concept of unity in lateral thinking.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Or Later Alice
Old 05-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Clearly, that's what it's about, Later Alice. That bitch. She gave Maynard an enima and 3 libras. Later Alice is where Maynard raises his hand and says "Fuck you ho! I've gone all male all the time from here on out."
Old 05-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #8

Who is Alice?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Yeah I've always gone with this aswell. One huge thing that influenced me deciding this was the 'us' being lower than 'Lateral' on the cover..
Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I like this. I didn't know any of the technical terminology and other jeebie jeebie that you mentioned there but I began to interperet things after a good read of the FAQ and a look at the Alex Gray drawing that's the CD cover.

look at the spiral that rises from the eye in the hand; it moves upward and spirals outward. now how does a spiral move? well, in circles, but in this case it expands, so it goes left, then goes back to the right, then further left, then further right, then even further left, then even further right, etc etc.

I look at that as a picture portraying our possibilty to evolve; I look back to AEnima on that one. "when an athelete breaks a record or a doctor finds a new cure, the whole race evolves". so we theoretically move as one. we feed eachother and we feed eachothers minds, but of course, we hopefully continue to feed our own. you can do so by looking further into each side of your brain, trying new things that stiulate both sides. of course you may have to start slow, then go to the other side, then come back and dig further into the left side, then go back and dig further into the right side, and I think you can kinda try to apply that analogy to pretty much any activity in life.

so it all moves from left to right, but progresses upward goes further and further and further out with each pass around. spiral out, keep going.

Last edited by ½ - ∑mptﻹ; 05-23-2006 at 07:15 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

I'm not sure how lefties are more evolved, just from personal interactions, but I really like your thoughts. Maybe lefties have a greater POTENTIAL to integrate cooperation of both hemispheres, working as one. This is attributed to the thicker corpus collosum connection, but are you sure that this is a fact? It sucks to find out you are an inferior being based upon your dexterity.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/split.html
This is a beginners guide to brain hemispheres and dominance.
Check out the split-brain experiments, very interesting!

http://www.ipn.at/ipn.asp?BGC
A guide to balancing your brain hemispheres

Last edited by P1_PP1_N; 06-06-2006 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 06-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

i'm very glad you guys looked into this more... if not already have some knowledge... split brain studies are extremely interesting.. and very relevant to what i'm talking about.. and yes... i'm not really saying that we are already evolved... , though .. by structure that can be said definitely.. but yes... that the ability to think whole.. or be spiritual whole.... is greater... or that we are just a bit closer from having greater use of both sides of the brain... if you look deep into this yourselves.. i have a good sense that you may feel the same..
Old 06-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
i'm very glad you guys looked into this more... if not already have some knowledge... split brain studies are extremely interesting.. and very relevant to what i'm talking about.. and yes... i'm not really saying that we are already evolved... , though .. by structure that can be said definitely.. but yes... that the ability to think whole.. or be spiritual whole.... is greater... or that we are just a bit closer from having greater use of both sides of the brain... if you look deep into this yourselves.. i have a good sense that you may feel the same..
THANKYOU
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Something of this evolution of the mind overcame to me when I've read of Schumman reissonance. It's interesting to think that the mind have a standar Magentism wave like the earth. Some say in 2012 is when the Sun will change from night to day in the galaxy, like a galaxian day, and also will align with other solar systems, planets and stars. This fellows says also that we will have a magnetical wave from the sun which can alter our minds.

Have you read about that?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #16
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

quality post Paul, how refreshing.
I definately agree with 'lateral us' as i posted elsewhere. - synthesis, integration, bringing the pieces back together, within a soul, within a race, within a universe - it makes a lotta sense!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistomai View Post
Something of this evolution of the mind overcame to me when I've read of Schumman reissonance. It's interesting to think that the mind have a standar Magentism wave like the earth. Some say in 2012 is when the Sun will change from night to day in the galaxy, like a galaxian day, and also will align with other solar systems, planets and stars. This fellows says also that we will have a magnetical wave from the sun which can alter our minds.

Have you read about that?
That's an interesting statement. Could you explain that a little more?
Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrigginghatethis View Post
something alongs the lines of "were in this together, even though were not sure if were moving any further than this"
What Tool's been about the whole time I think.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: