Password
kanaduh
01-09-2016, 09:04 PM

Old 01-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
REVIEW - Jan 9th San Diego

01-10-2016, 12:32 AM

Opiate was played tonight. Happy about that. Other highlights were The Grudge and Parabola. And maybe Vicarious of all songs. Somehow it sounded fresh. Maybe just proof the band was not mailing it in.

I am about the same age as the members of Tool and I know it cannot be easy to trot out this type of technically challenging music and make it work live. But they do it. Tonight may be the best I have heard them play. I've got plenty of experience with their shows and I can say this without hesitation.

Great to see you Embryo (and friends) as always. Sorry I missed other boardies. Hopefully some of us can catch up tomorrow!

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-10-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: REVIEW - Jan 9th San Diego

Opiate was played tonight. Happy about that. Other highlights were The Grudge and Parabola. And maybe Vicarious of all songs. Somehow it sounded fresh. Maybe just proof the band was not mailing it in.

I am about the same age as the members of Tool and I know it cannot be easy to trot out this type of technically challenging music and make it work live. But they do it. Tonight may be the best I have heard them play. I've got plenty of experience with their shows and I can say this without hesitation.

Great to see you Embryo (and friends) as always. Sorry I missed other boardies. Hopefully some of us can catch up tomorrow!

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-10-2016 at 09:32 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
01-10-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Sweat was played tonight.
Are you posting in the right thread? None of the setlists I've seen for the San Diego show suggest they played Sweat...
Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Sweat was played tonight.
Are you posting in the right thread? None of the setlists I've seen for the San Diego show suggest they played Sweat...
01-10-2016, 03:26 AM

^Sweat was NOT played tonight but I do agree with his sentiments about their performance sounding the best they've been in a long time etc.

Setlist was the same as night 1 in San Fran as shown below:

No Quarter
The Grudge
Parabol/a
Schism
Opiate (with extended middle part)
Aenema
Jambi (with 'Descending' intro for 3 or 4 mins)
46 & 2
-------
Danny drums/Adam synth thing etc.
Vicarious
Stinkfist (extended)

Overall, a very tight and ultimately enthusiastic performance, particular from MAYNARD which is really pleasing to see and hear. His vocals were loud and consistent and he made a few more jokes with the crowd. He seems re-energised and really adds a LOT more now with his vocals at a good volume. A lot of songs or parts of songs really come 'alive' when he hits a tricky vocal part. Many of those occurred tonight. Loved every moment.

Another bit worth mentioning:

* Danny added in a few different bits at the end of Descending. Having seen them all 3 times thus far thus tour, it kinda feels like they are adding to Descending with each show. It would be cool if by New Orleans or Florida that they add a few extra pieces in etc...

* Crowd on their feet all night even though the whole show was seated. Love when that happens.

* Watch out for the "metaphorically rape you" gag/routine in Opiate; it's a nice & weird addition.
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Old 01-10-2016, 03:26 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

^Sweat was NOT played tonight but I do agree with his sentiments about their performance sounding the best they've been in a long time etc.

Setlist was the same as night 1 in San Fran as shown below:

No Quarter
The Grudge
Parabol/a
Schism
Opiate (with extended middle part)
Aenema
Jambi (with 'Descending' intro for 3 or 4 mins)
46 & 2
-------
Danny drums/Adam synth thing etc.
Vicarious
Stinkfist (extended)

Overall, a very tight and ultimately enthusiastic performance, particular from MAYNARD which is really pleasing to see and hear. His vocals were loud and consistent and he made a few more jokes with the crowd. He seems re-energised and really adds a LOT more now with his vocals at a good volume. A lot of songs or parts of songs really come 'alive' when he hits a tricky vocal part. Many of those occurred tonight. Loved every moment.

Another bit worth mentioning:

* Danny added in a few different bits at the end of Descending. Having seen them all 3 times thus far thus tour, it kinda feels like they are adding to Descending with each show. It would be cool if by New Orleans or Florida that they add a few extra pieces in etc...

* Crowd on their feet all night even though the whole show was seated. Love when that happens.

* Watch out for the "metaphorically rape you" gag/routine in Opiate; it's a nice & weird addition.
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Durangatang
01-10-2016, 04:57 AM

Jesus Christ why don't you Metaphorically Rape my Whales Vagina

Sick show. They totally played Cold and Ugly instrumental at the end of No Q.
YES! Yes they did.

Vicarious was megaphoned and somewhat weak at the end.
But no complaints overall.

Sound and lights were tiiiiight Boys looked liked they were having f u n. Maynard crackin jokes.

Was a good time, as always. Thx gentlemen.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 0

Jesus Christ why don't you Metaphorically Rape my Whales Vagina

Sick show. They totally played Cold and Ugly instrumental at the end of No Q.
YES! Yes they did.

Vicarious was megaphoned and somewhat weak at the end.
But no complaints overall.

Sound and lights were tiiiiight Boys looked liked they were having f u n. Maynard crackin jokes.

Was a good time, as always. Thx gentlemen.
Durangatang
01-12-2016, 11:00 AM

So after a day or two to make it home and reflect, I can give a more detailed recollection...

Opened showed with Viginti Tres playback and that was an interesting way to start a show. Set up No Q nicely. Which, BTW is a good way to warm up the crowd and ease into the night.

Without hearing a bootleg yet of the show, I'm sure they teased Cold and Ugly between No Q and the Grudge. It was a quick jam of maybe 30 secs while Maynard was making his way to the stage. Maybe Adam was messing around or joking with the other guys waiting for Maynard but it was distinct. Hopefully there is some sound or video of this transition and it can be confirmed or denied.

'Nard came out and said "It's nice to be back in the whales vagina." and "Sahn Dihago". A la Anchorman. And not the first time he's gone Ron Burgandy on us down here. Made some other comments too.

Opiate was one of the highlights of the night. There was a long intro and extended middle jam where it sounded like they were testing a little new material. They killed it with this song and it was good to hear that they still got it. Incidentally, the most talking Maynard did was before this song. He said something like "We just came from San Francisco and they're all...vegans" . Real dismissive, ha. Then he launched into a mild tirade about how they (SF) didn't like the band singing about raping you and he had to explain to them it was only "metaphorical rape" and to chill out. Then at the end of the song on the last "rape you" line he added "metaphorically rape you" all drawn out and condescending. Was so fukin funny, all my toolhead buds laughed out loud at that. Heard it was not done night 2 so a cool bit of Maynardisims for us.

Descending sounded strong and was also a good amount of time/music in show. Definitely not a teaser, we want more!!

I know they have extended jam sessions inserted into songs but tonight it seemed like they intro/outro jammed a lot more and it was super cool.

Maynard gave a shout out to the members of the military before Stinkfist. Asked the crowd to acknowledge their service. Was nice (but odd for a rock show) to do and maybe due to SD being a military town and his background. Stinkfist was very extended and was good to hear it in a new place in the set. A little (-) ions and "electricity" video thrown in for good measure, also cool.

Crowd was in a good mood and into the show. Had a few phones up for photos here and there but overall not distracting. I took a few snaps too ;) Few people around us were also Tool show vets and it was nice to chat.

Primus FUCKING KILLED IT and I wish they could've played longer. Was not disappointed in their set. Les went behind one of the big mushrooms on the stage and came out the other side with a pig mask on. Then he played a long Krinkle /Jilly's on his stand up electric bass with the mask on. DBC Tweakers, Winona, MNI Mud, Jerry WARCD all were sick. Do not miss their set!

The Tool lsetlist may be uninspiring for some but the musical arrangements, intro/outros, flow and "free form metal" jamming made it one of the better shows I have seen/heard recently.

And big props as always to Junior and his crew. Making hard work look effortless and the show a SHOW!

Spiral out, friends.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
On Probation

So after a day or two to make it home and reflect, I can give a more detailed recollection...

Opened showed with Viginti Tres playback and that was an interesting way to start a show. Set up No Q nicely. Which, BTW is a good way to warm up the crowd and ease into the night.

Without hearing a bootleg yet of the show, I'm sure they teased Cold and Ugly between No Q and the Grudge. It was a quick jam of maybe 30 secs while Maynard was making his way to the stage. Maybe Adam was messing around or joking with the other guys waiting for Maynard but it was distinct. Hopefully there is some sound or video of this transition and it can be confirmed or denied.

'Nard came out and said "It's nice to be back in the whales vagina." and "Sahn Dihago". A la Anchorman. And not the first time he's gone Ron Burgandy on us down here. Made some other comments too.

Opiate was one of the highlights of the night. There was a long intro and extended middle jam where it sounded like they were testing a little new material. They killed it with this song and it was good to hear that they still got it. Incidentally, the most talking Maynard did was before this song. He said something like "We just came from San Francisco and they're all...vegans" . Real dismissive, ha. Then he launched into a mild tirade about how they (SF) didn't like the band singing about raping you and he had to explain to them it was only "metaphorical rape" and to chill out. Then at the end of the song on the last "rape you" line he added "metaphorically rape you" all drawn out and condescending. Was so fukin funny, all my toolhead buds laughed out loud at that. Heard it was not done night 2 so a cool bit of Maynardisims for us.

Descending sounded strong and was also a good amount of time/music in show. Definitely not a teaser, we want more!!

I know they have extended jam sessions inserted into songs but tonight it seemed like they intro/outro jammed a lot more and it was super cool.

Maynard gave a shout out to the members of the military before Stinkfist. Asked the crowd to acknowledge their service. Was nice (but odd for a rock show) to do and maybe due to SD being a military town and his background. Stinkfist was very extended and was good to hear it in a new place in the set. A little (-) ions and "electricity" video thrown in for good measure, also cool.

Crowd was in a good mood and into the show. Had a few phones up for photos here and there but overall not distracting. I took a few snaps too ;) Few people around us were also Tool show vets and it was nice to chat.

Primus FUCKING KILLED IT and I wish they could've played longer. Was not disappointed in their set. Les went behind one of the big mushrooms on the stage and came out the other side with a pig mask on. Then he played a long Krinkle /Jilly's on his stand up electric bass with the mask on. DBC Tweakers, Winona, MNI Mud, Jerry WARCD all were sick. Do not miss their set!

The Tool lsetlist may be uninspiring for some but the musical arrangements, intro/outros, flow and "free form metal" jamming made it one of the better shows I have seen/heard recently.

And big props as always to Junior and his crew. Making hard work look effortless and the show a SHOW!

Spiral out, friends.
Durangatang
01-12-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangatang View Post

EDIT: I listened to a bootleg video of the song and heard the ending jam. It's not Cold and Ugly but sounded a lot like it. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. Maybe it is new stuff?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
On Probation

Quote:

EDIT: I listened to a bootleg video of the song and heard the ending jam. It's not Cold and Ugly but sounded a lot like it. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. Maybe it is new stuff?
junior
01-14-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
That's just their version of "No Quarter" as far as I'm concerned. That's pretty much the same ending as their recorded version from 17-18(ish) years ago.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:47 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
That's just their version of "No Quarter" as far as I'm concerned. That's pretty much the same ending as their recorded version from 17-18(ish) years ago.
tooltweeker
01-14-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
3am az. time and you're still up, you ever sleep man?! Btw great show on the 10th! And what was up with security? Didn't know if it was you or them putting the spot light on towards the right of you around intermission time?
2002 Inglewood, CA 7/15 | 2002 Long Beach, CA 11/24 | 2006 Indio, CA 4/30 | 2006 Phoenix, AZ 7/9 | 2007 Tucson, AZ 5/6 | 2009 Phoenix, AZ 7/21 | 2010 Los Angeles, CA 7/18 | 2012 Las Vegas, NV 1/15 | 2012 Tucson, AZ 1/17 | 2014 Phoenix, AZ 3/27 | 2015 Tempe, AZ 10/31 | 2016 San Diego, CA 1/10

Last edited by tooltweeker; 01-14-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Old 01-14-2016, 02:08 AM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
3am az. time and you're still up, you ever sleep man?! Btw great show on the 10th! And what was up with security? Didn't know if it was you or them putting the spot light on towards the right of you around intermission time?
2002 Inglewood, CA 7/15 | 2002 Long Beach, CA 11/24 | 2006 Indio, CA 4/30 | 2006 Phoenix, AZ 7/9 | 2007 Tucson, AZ 5/6 | 2009 Phoenix, AZ 7/21 | 2010 Los Angeles, CA 7/18 | 2012 Las Vegas, NV 1/15 | 2012 Tucson, AZ 1/17 | 2014 Phoenix, AZ 3/27 | 2015 Tempe, AZ 10/31 | 2016 San Diego, CA 1/10

Last edited by tooltweeker; 01-14-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Durangatang
01-14-2016, 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=Junior]That's just their version of "No Quarter" as far as I'm concerned. That's pretty much the same ending as their recorded version from 17-18(ish) years ago.QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the info man! It was a night of altered states ;)

Last edited by Durangatang; 01-14-2016 at 06:17 PM..
Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
On Probation

[QUOTE=Junior]That's just their version of "No Quarter" as far as I'm concerned. That's pretty much the same ending as their recorded version from 17-18(ish) years ago.QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the info man! It was a night of altered states ;)

Last edited by Durangatang; 01-14-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply