opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 69. Disgustipated
User Name
Password
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Last portion of this track

I don't understand the part about the man narrorating lines about "your color." If somebody could please explain this I would be thankful.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Last portion of this track

I think it is supposed to be the analysis of a serial killer from a 3rd party omnipresent view. He continues to use the phrases 'your' inferring ownership. Like the serial killer feels entitled to the grass, sky , woods, etc. The color i believe is just another allusion to the whole entitled idea. When he sees the people in 'his' woods his color is red, like blood and he is entitled to kill them. At the end he also says something like 'There are figures in your woods, now your color is red, and those figures are yours too, of course" Maybe that helps? hopefully
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 24

That's funny, because five minutes ago, I was thinking about how Disgustipated and "Iowa" by Slipknot are both really cool tracks to end a CD, and both draw on for a while, and both give me a similar feeling. Iowa, to my understanding, is written from the perspective of a serial killer.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Thanks, that does help. And yes, Iowa is written in the perspective of a serial killer. That track is kind of creepy with that "I fill your mouth with dirt" line.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #5

Yeah, not to mention, "I take your second digit with me."

I love Slipknot. That's the only 'heavy' band that I can for some reason REALLY get into.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #6

Bincount™: 2

ya same here
Old 06-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Sometimes I fall asleep while listening to my iPod, and I woke up the other night to this part of the song. I was in that state of consciousness between deep, full sleep and being fully aware, and this song scared the hell out of me. It's never done that before. I was also somewhat sad at the end, because I knew what was going to happen to those people.

That was one of the strangest Tool experiences I have had.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #8

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!! i wish that happened to me
Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

It has also happened with Faaip de Oaid. I'll wake up like "OMGZ! Teh alienz!!!11"

Heh.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

I never even knew that last portion existed, I never had the patience to sit through the crickets...I thought I'd heard everything from tool, but the other day I happened to leave it running and when, all of a sudden, that voice came out of nowhere (kinda muffled, can bearly hear it) I was startled! It's a great feeling to discover something!

I like that last line too, and the way he says it..."and of course those little people were yours too."....click.

Another thing about this song, I always used to think the music was nothing but a "Tap!" every 6 seconds, and the rest was silence(for the intro), but after I "discovered" that end portion I went through again with the volume up much higher, and I could hear that there is a constant drum rhythm 'underneath' the "Tap!"s. Ha, discovered something else for the first time!

So now disgustipated is one of my favorite songs.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11

Bincount™: 4398

I love this song, because of the gritty almost war chant at the beginning. as for the ending, I always figured it was about an alien that changes colors to match its surroundings, sort of making the surroundings his.

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
On Probation

this song is awesome
ha 69
Old 07-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Sometimes I fall asleep while listening to my iPod, and I woke up the other night to this part of the song. I was in that state of consciousness between deep, full sleep and being fully aware, and this song scared the hell out of me. It's never done that before. I was also somewhat sad at the end, because I knew what was going to happen to those people.

That was one of the strangest Tool experiences I have had.
Geez, wow, it's like looking into a mirror, i have had the same experience! and to who hasn't experienced this, it's a hell of a rude awakening! anyway, it's strange, i fell asleep like a little baby with the heavy riffs of sober, crawl away etc., and a talked through song got me to jump up! odd, sinister.... i wonder how many subliminal messages are locked in this song, amd what abhorring concepts can scare the psiche in such a gruesome way. Not that Tool need subliminal messages, their music gets enough through on its own!
it must be our mind refusal to the concepts of genocide and mass slaughter even though our reason states them as necessary. deep inside, we may all be split..... we may all be crying.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:34 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

So what's the last portion about?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:07 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the portion i find twisted is the: this is necessary part, with the sheep in the background and drumming resembling rifle shots. i think it reminds me of a mass slaughter of the innocent and helpless, and Maynard repeating: Life feeds on life...
a little advice: don't try to sleep when listening to disgustipated!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

It's also great when Maynard says "Can I get a hallelujah?!" and all the sheep start bleating. Another wee dig at religion.

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy
Old 07-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_anchovy
It's also great when Maynard says "Can I get a hallelujah?!" and all the sheep start bleating. Another wee dig at religion.
yep, that makes me grin every time.... it's calling the religious folk no better than sheep that follow a shepherd, blindly, opiate style..... then again, this is necessary! but i really dig the sound effects that should resemble the carrots screaming!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Yeah...A lot of thought went into Disgustipated

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy
Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #19

I just remember getting charged when he comes back screaming, "THIS! IS! NECESSARY!!" BLAM!! Chk-CHK (rifle chambering new round) etc. Just sounds like fanatical execution. I'm not a fan of real life violence, but as far as entertainment goes, I can Vicarious it up.

As for the shit going down with Israel and Lebanon on top of Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't have to get Vicarious with that. I read the news to try to get a hint as to where I'm getting deployed to. =)

Oh this silly little world.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:12 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_anchovy
Yeah...A lot of thought went into Disgustipated
that's because this is a universal issue! it's been goin on since the dawn of times.... we want to love every living creature on this earth but man must feed.... not easy to love on an empty stomach.... lol. so much for organized religion!
still this song is one of a kind and gives new emotions every time i listen to it... it will never get old!
ps i like the fact that maynard is seen as a reverand in this song: to me it proves that religion grants power to just about anyone. so with power in the hands of just about anyone, he which will guide the faithfull doesn't know where he's going, as shown by the fact that rev. maynard actually thinks that carrots have an organized civilization! Long Live Tool!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:07 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Maybe it's juxtaposing the crazy side of religion with the crazy side of the human psyche and through that lens examining what the term 'necessary' means. For example through the eyes of the serial killer going into the woods and murdering those people is necessary. To us harvesting the carrots is necessary. But as the lyrics point out this is the carrots' haullocaust. We don't see harvesting the carrots as evil but we see the serial killers act as evil. Still, life feeds on life so it's necessary.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersnipe
Maybe it's juxtaposing the crazy side of religion with the crazy side of the human psyche and through that lens examining what the term 'necessary' means. For example through the eyes of the serial killer going into the woods and murdering those people is necessary. To us harvesting the carrots is necessary. But as the lyrics point out this is the carrots' haullocaust. We don't see harvesting the carrots as evil but we see the serial killers act as evil. Still, life feeds on life so it's necessary.
i absolutely agree, go to the other disgustipated thread to know my opinion, but bullseye brother! genocide is justifiable!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

""""""genocide is justifiable!"""""

Elaborate.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos
""""""genocide is justifiable!"""""

Elaborate.
go to the this is necessary thread! i know that this claim may shock you at first. so does the song then again.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersnipe

I think that sums it up well.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #26
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

i think if u read it backwords it tells the story correctly...so ive heard
Old 08-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

The killer does own everything, but he soaks up his surroundins like a sponge, that's why when he touched the red CAR, his color is red. Same thing with the Grass and the sky. Its actually almost like the man the narrator is talking about is and the narrorator are the same person, because the "killer" may be schitzo, and he just recorded every thing that happened so he could share it with his other personalty(ies). Almost like one watched while the other did it, if it even in a killer.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: