Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Spiralysis's Avatar Spiralysis
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM

So I know there is whispering throughout most of this Puscifer song, but I don't quite know exactly what's being said. I think that around 2:30 he says something like "come my child" then something about "beauty" perhaps. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Sour Grapes Whispers

So I know there is whispering throughout most of this Puscifer song, but I don't quite know exactly what's being said. I think that around 2:30 he says something like "come my child" then something about "beauty" perhaps. Any insight would be much appreciated!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
plexus's Avatar plexus
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM

hes reciting a section the screenplay to citizen kane.
...backwards.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17
Re: Sour Grapes Whispers

...backwards.
11-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
...backwards.
Seriously?!!! I am almost positive that in certain parts I am hearing distinct words- this sounds much different than intension.
How do you know that what he's saying is not just backwards-but it's also the screenplay to citizen kane???
Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
...backwards.
Seriously?!!! I am almost positive that in certain parts I am hearing distinct words- this sounds much different than intension.
How do you know that what he's saying is not just backwards-but it's also the screenplay to citizen kane???
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
11-22-2007, 03:30 PM

guys, just listen to it. give it some time. mull it over. sink into it. melt away and then do that pining thing... it's easy, fun, takes minutes a day to get it developed. feel the rhythm/connected. the instructions are all there, just listen.
/my two cents
Old 11-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

guys, just listen to it. give it some time. mull it over. sink into it. melt away and then do that pining thing... it's easy, fun, takes minutes a day to get it developed. feel the rhythm/connected. the instructions are all there, just listen.
/my two cents
11-22-2007, 03:39 PM

spiral out man
Old 11-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

spiral out man
11-22-2007, 03:40 PM

yeah, groovy. but sirius-ly...
Old 11-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Level 10 - Vehement

yeah, groovy. but sirius-ly...
11-25-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
/my two cents
I know it may seem cool to be really enigmatic and mysterious just like the great MJK, but face it---YOU ARE NOT HIM!!---- I don't have any professional audio equipment nor do I have the time to just listen really hard for a couple of days. I listen hard everytime I listen to the song but I only make out bits and pieces. I am a law student so I don't really have the time to diagram this song. I was hoping someone had already put the puzzle together so that they could help me put my pieces together.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
/my two cents
I know it may seem cool to be really enigmatic and mysterious just like the great MJK, but face it---YOU ARE NOT HIM!!---- I don't have any professional audio equipment nor do I have the time to just listen really hard for a couple of days. I listen hard everytime I listen to the song but I only make out bits and pieces. I am a law student so I don't really have the time to diagram this song. I was hoping someone had already put the puzzle together so that they could help me put my pieces together.
Cheesegreater
11-25-2007, 09:43 AM

You don't have to listen to it a couple of days straight or anything, besides he said a few minutes each day. I don't understand why people feel so rushed to know everything that is being said. I find that one of the most entertaining things about Maynard's work is that it takes time to understand everything that's being presented to you. I'm sure that some of you have taken music classes at some point or another. If so, perhaps you remember the definition of polyphonic music. "Polyphonic music allows for new revelations for the repeat listener." In other words, it's music that is designed to take awhile for us to soak in as a whole.

Here's my point. The Puscifer album hasn't even been out for a month yet. Yes, most of us are missing a lot of the words and effects used. But if you asked all of us about the lyrics a year or so from now, you'd find we've figured out a lot of it. That's the point with this music. It's what keeps people coming back, and when we discover something new or something we haven't heard yet, it keeps that material fresh and makes it worth the repeat listens.

Drunk with Power is one of my personal favorites, and I still don't know anymore than half the lyrics. "Daisy dukes my kryptonite." is a funny ass line. I also like "I'm a pimp without a dog, without a bone." I'll figure out more of it later. It's just going to take some time.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

You don't have to listen to it a couple of days straight or anything, besides he said a few minutes each day. I don't understand why people feel so rushed to know everything that is being said. I find that one of the most entertaining things about Maynard's work is that it takes time to understand everything that's being presented to you. I'm sure that some of you have taken music classes at some point or another. If so, perhaps you remember the definition of polyphonic music. "Polyphonic music allows for new revelations for the repeat listener." In other words, it's music that is designed to take awhile for us to soak in as a whole.

Here's my point. The Puscifer album hasn't even been out for a month yet. Yes, most of us are missing a lot of the words and effects used. But if you asked all of us about the lyrics a year or so from now, you'd find we've figured out a lot of it. That's the point with this music. It's what keeps people coming back, and when we discover something new or something we haven't heard yet, it keeps that material fresh and makes it worth the repeat listens.

Drunk with Power is one of my personal favorites, and I still don't know anymore than half the lyrics. "Daisy dukes my kryptonite." is a funny ass line. I also like "I'm a pimp without a dog, without a bone." I'll figure out more of it later. It's just going to take some time.
11-25-2007, 04:33 PM

that's all i was saying. i mean, "shouldn't have to say it all again" is a huge hint, right? the instructions are all there, "what is she waiting for?" ...and she has been, patiently. it's not that occult. in fact, every single time i came around some sort of revelation, no matter how significant or minute, i immediately thought "wow, i should've noticed that before..." i just started getting into the interpretations/digging maybe three years ago after lateralus really, finally hit me (in the way that i KNEW that there was always going to be more - and that was the fun of it) ...and i still feel a full decade behind. that's just how tool does it. it's a crystalline format, or how i'd like to envision it. meaning ...the wide-ranging spectrum of interpretation was designed (as i've come to understand it) to move from a subjective/personal meaning, on whatever level, and keeps digging itself into YOU ... until tool finds a way to strike at your fuckin' soul, tear your fuckin' throat away, wake YOU up, up, and up ...higher, higher, into the air... until IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeyeIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIobjectiveIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIjambiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIwouldIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIifIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIcouldIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIItodayayou ngmanonacidrealizedthatallmatterismerelyenergycond ensedtoaslowvibrationthatWEAREALLONECONSCIOUSNESSe xperiencingitselfsubjectivelyIIIIIIIIII!!!! there. enigmatic.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Level 10 - Vehement

that's all i was saying. i mean, "shouldn't have to say it all again" is a huge hint, right? the instructions are all there, "what is she waiting for?" ...and she has been, patiently. it's not that occult. in fact, every single time i came around some sort of revelation, no matter how significant or minute, i immediately thought "wow, i should've noticed that before..." i just started getting into the interpretations/digging maybe three years ago after lateralus really, finally hit me (in the way that i KNEW that there was always going to be more - and that was the fun of it) ...and i still feel a full decade behind. that's just how tool does it. it's a crystalline format, or how i'd like to envision it. meaning ...the wide-ranging spectrum of interpretation was designed (as i've come to understand it) to move from a subjective/personal meaning, on whatever level, and keeps digging itself into YOU ... until tool finds a way to strike at your fuckin' soul, tear your fuckin' throat away, wake YOU up, up, and up ...higher, higher, into the air... until IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeyeIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIobjectiveIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIjambiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIwouldIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIifIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIcouldIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIItodayayou ngmanonacidrealizedthatallmatterismerelyenergycond ensedtoaslowvibrationthatWEAREALLONECONSCIOUSNESSe xperiencingitselfsubjectivelyIIIIIIIIII!!!! there. enigmatic.
11-25-2007, 04:35 PM

and it is cool.

"IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII need YOU to feel THIS(I),
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII need THIS(again,I) to make ME
whole (i)"

wish it away.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 11-25-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

and it is cool.

"IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII need YOU to feel THIS(I),
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII need THIS(again,I) to make ME
whole (i)"

wish it away.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 11-25-2007 at 04:37 PM..
11-26-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I can understand where the both of you are coming from, however I still don't think you get where I'm coming from. I am not asking you to reveal to me my purpose here on earth, nor am I asking you to reveal to me TOOL's purpose here on Earth (for some reason I am sure both of you have your theories). I am simply asking for the translation of some whispering in a Puscifer song (not even TOOL!). I just want to know what he's saying!! You don't have to explain to me what it means or how you feel about it or how I should feel about it or how Albert Crowley would feel about it. Just a simple translation- so that I can add my meaning to it.
If it were so damn important to keep secret the words in Maynard's songs than why is there a whole forum dedicated to discussing his lyrics??? They must not have been pining away when they thought of that one! The spiral must have led to a place a vast ignorance and mediocrity.
I know this probably won't get me any closer to getting the whisper translation, but think of me as a TOOL to getting your head out of your own asses.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I can understand where the both of you are coming from, however I still don't think you get where I'm coming from. I am not asking you to reveal to me my purpose here on earth, nor am I asking you to reveal to me TOOL's purpose here on Earth (for some reason I am sure both of you have your theories). I am simply asking for the translation of some whispering in a Puscifer song (not even TOOL!). I just want to know what he's saying!! You don't have to explain to me what it means or how you feel about it or how I should feel about it or how Albert Crowley would feel about it. Just a simple translation- so that I can add my meaning to it.
If it were so damn important to keep secret the words in Maynard's songs than why is there a whole forum dedicated to discussing his lyrics??? They must not have been pining away when they thought of that one! The spiral must have led to a place a vast ignorance and mediocrity.
I know this probably won't get me any closer to getting the whisper translation, but think of me as a TOOL to getting your head out of your own asses.
chonus's Avatar chonus
11-26-2007, 06:59 AM

I think he is whispering the second verse.

I think he starts with "know my child, there is no devil..."

It's hard to make out after that and I wouldn't be surprised if he was saying something totally different than the second verse. I'm really curious to find out.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I think he is whispering the second verse.

I think he starts with "know my child, there is no devil..."

It's hard to make out after that and I wouldn't be surprised if he was saying something totally different than the second verse. I'm really curious to find out.
Cheesegreater
11-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralysis View Post
Did it ever occur to you that we may not know? That somehow in our vast knowledge of Maynard's lyrics we actually do not know what's being said? Come on man! I'd like to know as much as you. It's not like we're holding out.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralysis View Post
Did it ever occur to you that we may not know? That somehow in our vast knowledge of Maynard's lyrics we actually do not know what's being said? Come on man! I'd like to know as much as you. It's not like we're holding out.
11-26-2007, 09:24 AM

well, i think it's clear from interpretations (before lyrics are confirmed) that what YOU hear is 100% dependant on how YOU perceive YOUR reality. it's subjective. maybe you subconsciously don't want to hear the singlar "eye", for instance, because you've only known to 'see' (outside) through the two (plural, heh) you've relied on for most of your life. my friend, it doesn't matter what WE say. if we come up with something, and then more and more people agree to it ...and it's WRONG! ...then your latest preconceptions are taking you down the wrong path. i think it was the "parabola" dvd commentary that suggested that tool fans ...listen ...take some time ...think about it ....listen to it again ...and. yeah. "the grudge" presents the notion that mankind has more or less allowed these current complications to arise through our developed desire to define, constrict, order, and control all and everything. we throw labels around, with whatever biases (it doesn't matter - good or bad) ...we're judging. that's just how it is. forgive yourself (the scarlet letterman, king crimson) for fucking up, and revert to the natural flow of the universe, of this entire spiraling, flowing existence. bring your queen on home (i.e. work the beautiful right hemisphere of YOURS ...to remember that WE are ONE ...see: child).
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

well, i think it's clear from interpretations (before lyrics are confirmed) that what YOU hear is 100% dependant on how YOU perceive YOUR reality. it's subjective. maybe you subconsciously don't want to hear the singlar "eye", for instance, because you've only known to 'see' (outside) through the two (plural, heh) you've relied on for most of your life. my friend, it doesn't matter what WE say. if we come up with something, and then more and more people agree to it ...and it's WRONG! ...then your latest preconceptions are taking you down the wrong path. i think it was the "parabola" dvd commentary that suggested that tool fans ...listen ...take some time ...think about it ....listen to it again ...and. yeah. "the grudge" presents the notion that mankind has more or less allowed these current complications to arise through our developed desire to define, constrict, order, and control all and everything. we throw labels around, with whatever biases (it doesn't matter - good or bad) ...we're judging. that's just how it is. forgive yourself (the scarlet letterman, king crimson) for fucking up, and revert to the natural flow of the universe, of this entire spiraling, flowing existence. bring your queen on home (i.e. work the beautiful right hemisphere of YOURS ...to remember that WE are ONE ...see: child).
11-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know if we're supposed to take you seriously, or if you're mocking Tool fans as part of an inside joke that's only funny to you.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I don't know if we're supposed to take you seriously, or if you're mocking Tool fans as part of an inside joke that's only funny to you.
11-26-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
Kinda seems that way doesn't it?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Kinda seems that way doesn't it?
11-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
question it (or me), that's all. i'll try to back up my shit wherever possible... but check some of it out.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
question it (or me), that's all. i'll try to back up my shit wherever possible... but check some of it out.
11-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

11-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Cool. Well at least I know your stand. You have to remember, above all else, that Tool is vague. One line of lyrics could have a multitude of meanings. So when you put a bunch of their quotes back to back and try to link all the different lyrics over the years, it can easily come out convoluted. Tool has a quite a volume of work with multi-layered meanings. If you grab a bunch of lines out of context you're bound to run the risk of misinterpreting something. Look at the Bible. There's quite a lot of context in that book, and people grab scripture from all different parts of it. Parts that are literal, others figurative; parts that anecdotal and other parts that are fairy tales with great morals.

I'll be the first to tell you that Tool is fucking complicated, but if there's any group that is more complicated, it's their listeners. Around here you can't tell if someone is really trying to understand concepts that seem just beyond their comprehension, or if they're operating behind a thin veil of sarcasm. I appreciate that your comments are genuine. All the things you're researching really interest me as well, but surprising as this may sound, there are some pretty closed-minded Tool listeners.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Cool. Well at least I know your stand. You have to remember, above all else, that Tool is vague. One line of lyrics could have a multitude of meanings. So when you put a bunch of their quotes back to back and try to link all the different lyrics over the years, it can easily come out convoluted. Tool has a quite a volume of work with multi-layered meanings. If you grab a bunch of lines out of context you're bound to run the risk of misinterpreting something. Look at the Bible. There's quite a lot of context in that book, and people grab scripture from all different parts of it. Parts that are literal, others figurative; parts that anecdotal and other parts that are fairy tales with great morals.

I'll be the first to tell you that Tool is fucking complicated, but if there's any group that is more complicated, it's their listeners. Around here you can't tell if someone is really trying to understand concepts that seem just beyond their comprehension, or if they're operating behind a thin veil of sarcasm. I appreciate that your comments are genuine. All the things you're researching really interest me as well, but surprising as this may sound, there are some pretty closed-minded Tool listeners.
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM

cool links
Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

cool links
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM

grain of salt, indeed. though, the endogenous dmt is there/possible. trip tonight, trip to tool. i think it was phish's lead whoever that said tool is some the most psychedelic tunes we've got in rock ...which i suppose got them the spot headlining bona? idk. either way, i mean ...they are alchemists, lachyrmists, taxedermists, occultists, truth-seeking, shamans ...etc. they're pumping their sound with EVERYTHING possible (ridiculous beats, polyrhymic, polyphonic, progmatic, 4.5bps, binaural beat, hemi-syncTM-esque, etc) ...trying to help us FALLLLLLL down, and down ...to reach below the EEG brainwave levels, from high alpha, to low beta (pot), and into theta (trippin') and perhaps even beyond. i think that's how it works. get that corpus callosum (sp?) thinger loosey-goosey and ..."rediscover communication" between your two hemispheres. find that divine TRIAD. find "your way home" ...to help us find US. alex grey's the net of (one) being comes to mind. wake up to wonderland, fall to it, let it take YOU (ego) away ...i guess what i'm saying is that tool is kinda like a guided meditation for me. i prepare for it (and other binaural audio guidance programs). it's a regular part of my daily routine now. body asleep, mind completely aware. love it.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

grain of salt, indeed. though, the endogenous dmt is there/possible. trip tonight, trip to tool. i think it was phish's lead whoever that said tool is some the most psychedelic tunes we've got in rock ...which i suppose got them the spot headlining bona? idk. either way, i mean ...they are alchemists, lachyrmists, taxedermists, occultists, truth-seeking, shamans ...etc. they're pumping their sound with EVERYTHING possible (ridiculous beats, polyrhymic, polyphonic, progmatic, 4.5bps, binaural beat, hemi-syncTM-esque, etc) ...trying to help us FALLLLLLL down, and down ...to reach below the EEG brainwave levels, from high alpha, to low beta (pot), and into theta (trippin') and perhaps even beyond. i think that's how it works. get that corpus callosum (sp?) thinger loosey-goosey and ..."rediscover communication" between your two hemispheres. find that divine TRIAD. find "your way home" ...to help us find US. alex grey's the net of (one) being comes to mind. wake up to wonderland, fall to it, let it take YOU (ego) away ...i guess what i'm saying is that tool is kinda like a guided meditation for me. i prepare for it (and other binaural audio guidance programs). it's a regular part of my daily routine now. body asleep, mind completely aware. love it.
11-27-2007, 04:40 AM

I just "rediscovered" my respect for you!! Anyway, let's get back on topic, Sour Grapes Whispers??
Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

I just "rediscovered" my respect for you!! Anyway, let's get back on topic, Sour Grapes Whispers??
eightfold
09-29-2014, 09:58 PM

he's preemptively mirroring the lyrics of the song.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

he's preemptively mirroring the lyrics of the song.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply