opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Stinkfist
User Name
Password
Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1
This is your brain on Tool

I recently ate LSD and watched every single Tool music video (except Hush). Granted, I have seen all of these videos dozens of times... but I noticed a LOT more on Acid. More visual candy was obvious to me for some reason. I made a point to re watch it sober, and I wasn't hallucinating... but rather... taking in more.

My theory is that there are images and visuals that hit a barrier with our subconscious. We see it, but we don't really acknowledge it. On Hallucinogens, I have a tendancy to absorb and observe everything in front of me much easier... nothing passes through to my subconscious, because its already on the outside.

Does this make any sense? any thoughts?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 260
Re: This is your brain on Tool

I agree, when under the influence of some psychedelic drug (or even sometimes when just drunk), I tend to percieve things differently. Of course we all know that, but some people don't really "take advantage" of it.

I don't believe you need to be drugged to dig deep down into those meanings and symbolics of art and music, but it lets you focus more and submerge yourself more into the audio and visual expiriences that you want to analyze.

I wouldn't say that psychedelics is the key to analyzing things like Tool's music and videos, but it definetely gives you a second perspective that you might not normally get, which in turn could lead you to understand things better.

That said, I think being "normal" is the most important state though. Psychedelics is only a short-cut or a guide to self enlightenment and better understanding of yourself and the world around you.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

I think you just take in the meanings in a different way, which is to say, your interpretation changes.

For example, the last time I watched the Schism video on shrooms, I thought it was pretty silly.

Try watching the commentary tracks on acid, much better than the actual videos themselves imo
Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I agree.

The Stinkfist video live was even better than that. there is so much going on on so many levels its hard to keep track of it all. They zoomed into many peices of the video that i had never seen when sober.

Live its like so many images of sex everything is fucking everything else sliding down a tunnel. Its wanton of more more more.

i believe that Tool actually represents psychedelics. The word that is. Acid, mushrooms and peyote are all tools to open the mind. No other band has been this psychedelic since the Dead. Tool now carries the torch.

Last edited by Bridger the Mountain Man; 12-13-2007 at 11:21 AM..
Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridger the Mountain Man View Post
I agree.

The Stinkfist video live was even better than that. there is so much going on on so many levels its hard to keep track of it all. They zoomed into many peices of the video that i had never seen when sober.

Live its like so many images of sex everything is fucking everything else sliding down a tunnel. Its wanton of more more more.

i believe that Tool actually represents psychedelics. The word that is. Acid, mushrooms and peyote are all tools to open the mind. No other band has been this psychedelic since the Dead. Tool now carries the torch.
In my opinion the Dead wasn't that psychedelic.... they were like a mildly trippy folk-jukebox....

I think tool is great (def one of my fav) but the mars volta is carrying the torch for psychedlic rock... in my opinion. Tool seems to be more than just psychedlic to me... they seem like psychedlia is just part of their schtick
Old 12-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

I agree with the OPs viewpoint.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

attach yourself to the schism vid. and then focus on the camera's moving focus. i think it might be important, but i haven't figured it out yet. the whole effect nearly attacked me during a "bad" trip the night before i left for college. has anyone tripped to vicarious' yet? ...not to get off topic too far. stinkfist is absolutely laced with eye candy.

tool = psychedelics?

yeah ...i'll concur. a bold concurence. BUT! if i could, i'll attach the term "endogenous"... check it out.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 01-01-2008 at 07:42 PM..
Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
I recently ate LSD and watched every single Tool music video (except Hush). Granted, I have seen all of these videos dozens of times... but I noticed a LOT more on Acid. More visual candy was obvious to me for some reason. I made a point to re watch it sober, and I wasn't hallucinating... but rather... taking in more.

My theory is that there are images and visuals that hit a barrier with our subconscious. We see it, but we don't really acknowledge it. On Hallucinogens, I have a tendancy to absorb and observe everything in front of me much easier... nothing passes through to my subconscious, because its already on the outside.

Yeah, it makes sense. When you are on halluucinogens, you tend to have more of an open mind and you can take in things more. So it does make sense..in a druggie way!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post

yeah hallucinogens can do that...makes total sense though...i kinda did the same thing once a while back; kinda made me adopt an entirely new interpretation w/ some of the vids.

funny what changes when you see things at a different perspective
Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #10

tool is a psychedelic drug in music form. thats why their name is tool
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

jeeesus...
Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yeah, I find psilocybin mushrooms tend to make you view things "through the eyes of a child". Everything is kind of fresh & new in a strange way. Your "input filter" is turned way down, or even off.

I haven't actually watched any of Tool's music videos on anything other than dope, though.

WATCH OUT: You're dead.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

yea. tool videos+dope+canadian liquor=one night of amazment.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

At the start of the year (8 January) a friend an I decided to be testers for some LSD. We thought it would be either fucking crap or not even acid... we had NO FUCKING IDEA!

From the moment that we listened to Third Eye, our third eyes were PRIED OPEN. We could hear all the shit going on in TOOL. On this site, I have seen several people make interesting statments, such as saying they could sense something dark and moving underneath the music, that sort of thing. I had always had thoughts like that from time to time with TOOL, but I had no idea how extreme it was. If you just look, you will see. There are fucking HEAPS of newsletters on toolband.com that talk about summoning demons, even some snide mentions to summoning demons and recording them for the albums. Now after listening to all of tool with my eye open, I can safely say that tool has this extradimensional element in every song, but no album comes close to the intensity (on that level) of ÆNEMA.

They say that this album was recorded in Rennes-le-Chateau, which may contribute to these strange elements.

Listen to the words of Opiate - people seem to always think that Maynard is speaking from someone else's perspective, ie. a priest, which is half right - he is speaking from a priests perspective, and that priest is himself. "Choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you..."

"My gods will becomes me, when he speaks, he speaks through me... He has needs... Like I do... We both want TO RAPE YOU"

Tool has combined the spiritual world with music and mass produced it in a way that nobody else has even come close to. It's fucking mind-boggling. There is so many people on the net that follow everything Maynard says religiously, to the point of ridiculousness. He's very hypnotic.

You'll all think I'm crazy, but I know that I have taken the same acid with others and listened to TOOL and they all had the same experience.

The truth is sour, but without the sour you never appreciate sweetness.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

congrats dr styles. sounds like you had a successful trip. now try shpongle with that same lsd
Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Got some shpongle the other day dude ill give it a go :)
Cheers for the tip
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Lol.

The other weekend we took Heroic doses of 20year old mescaline, listened to tool and read Alex Grey's books. Sacred Mirrors was fucking amazing, and we started seeing energy and shit just like he paints. You go through the paintings and they are truly like mirrors, you're just thinking holy shit this is me, and these spiritual transformations are potential... Unavoidably, you make that transformation your aim. Then you get to the end of the book and the nasty twist blows your mind. Tool are the musical side of it, Alex Grey is the visual side of it, and both are gateways.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #18

Bincount™: 14

Ok, I would like to say first off that I am a big LSD and psychotropic drug advocate. I loved them in my late teens early twenties. With that said…

Dr. Styles you need to lay off for a little wile. Seriously man!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Lol, just read the fuckin book and you'll see what I mean dude :)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #20
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRain View Post
Ok, I would like to say first off that I am a big LSD and psychotropic drug advocate. I loved them in my late teens early twenties. With that said…

Dr. Styles you need to lay off for a little wile. Seriously man!
maybe you need to lay on
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #21

lol, that may be its been over 5 years now.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #22

ANYONE HAVE ANY ACID, OPIUM, MESCALINE, MUSHROOMS, SALVIA, OR ANY OTHER HALLUCINOGENIC DRUGS FOR SALE?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Come to New Zealand dude! Mushie seasons starting any day now :D
Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #24

Wow, I can almost see the colors! ;)-~
Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Good cunt :D

Next time you trip you should get a 5.1 surround sound stereo with a decent channel splitter, chuck Third Eye on and sit next to the rear left speaker.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #26

cunt? well thats not very nice.

I'll never forget my first time with LSD. Blacklight posters all a glow and dark side of the moon playing. Ah, the good old days.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRain View Post
cunt? well thats not very nice.

I'll never forget my first time with LSD. Blacklight posters all a glow and dark side of the moon playing. Ah, the good old days.
We're very loose with the word cunt in New Zealand. If someone's a good guy, then you say "You fucking good cunt!" If someone does something slightly bad you call them a "Shit cunt", ie. that wanker shitcunted me... If someone trips you out they're a buzzy cunt... When you hear the words
"George Bush" you say "That cunt can get fucked"... That sort of thing.

Good cunt = compliment.

And yes, floyd on LSD reaches the lofty heights of Psychedelic Peaks (yes, they're actual mountains)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #28

Americans say "that cunt can get fucked" too.

and as for mountains in my trips there was no ground at all just me and the blue skys.
;)-~

you, great cunt you!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Hahaha cheers dude.

If a chick ever rages at you for using the word cunt, turn around and say "It's just an expression, don't be a shit cunt!"

Honestly they all have em I don't understand what's offensive about it
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #30

lol your a funny fucker Rivek ;)-~
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Ive never caught the demon thing I dont think they are into that type of this ...I could be wrong though..... whats right anyway.

"Spiral Out, Keep Going" - MJK

"Ahhh... Well, fuck it..." - The Dude
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

You will catch it.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Not to be a Debbie-downer or anything, but a portion of you all sound like Rosetta Stone was written for you. I've had my psychedelic experience with Tool, and yes, it was amazing, but what I gained from that experience is simply that Tool's music is made very generic yet very specific at the same time, which is the same dichotomy that psychedelics play on. (For me, I feel as if I have a complete yet feeble understanding of the universe.) There's no doubt that Tool has encouraged an interest in psychedelics, but beyond that, I very much doubt they want you to trip and sit around and listen to them and watch their videos constantly. Tool is a starting point.

If anyone has read "DMT: The Spirit Molecule", a common distraction that many of the psychonauts were faced with was the wall of colors. Many of the participants would feel the initial rush of DMT, the varying "launch sequence" (as I like to call it) which includes being shot into space, the dissolving of the material world around them, etc, and then many were faced with a translucent wall of amazing colors. To the trippers, it was beautiful and simple and they stayed there for awhile and their journey never really went anywhere. Strassman encouraged them to push through the "veil" to the other side to begin some real work.

I feel as if many people are getting hung up on the "veil of colors" that Tool provides.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Bincount™: 2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I've heard that DMT trips are incredibly similar for nearly everyone who tries it. Is that true, or just a rumor?
sort of true, definitely seems so more than other substances.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Not really, just interesting
Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #36
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

how so? stoned ape was regarding mushrooms...
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
Not to be a Debbie-downer or anything, but a portion of you all sound like Rosetta Stone was written for you. I've had my psychedelic experience with Tool, and yes, it was amazing, but what I gained from that experience is simply that Tool's music is made very generic yet very specific at the same time, which is the same dichotomy that psychedelics play on. (For me, I feel as if I have a complete yet feeble understanding of the universe.) There's no doubt that Tool has encouraged an interest in psychedelics, but beyond that, I very much doubt they want you to trip and sit around and listen to them and watch their videos constantly. Tool is a starting point.

If anyone has read "DMT: The Spirit Molecule", a common distraction that many of the psychonauts were faced with was the wall of colors. Many of the participants would feel the initial rush of DMT, the varying "launch sequence" (as I like to call it) which includes being shot into space, the dissolving of the material world around them, etc, and then many were faced with a translucent wall of amazing colors. To the trippers, it was beautiful and simple and they stayed there for awhile and their journey never really went anywhere. Strassman encouraged them to push through the "veil" to the other side to begin some real work.

I feel as if many people are getting hung up on the "veil of colors" that Tool provides.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. Tools videos just have a way of tapping into the subconscious that isn't very obvious until you alter your state of mind. I don't really see how a drug can help you with [real] enlightenment though... I think the point is to use the drug to crack below the surface, to discover what a fucking massive mystery life is (half-quote Joe Rogan on DMT). In a way, I think that these drugs DO enlighten you... temporarily. Almost everyone reports feelings of "figuring it all out", and being "omnipotent" and "one"... but these feelings and realizations are very fleeting.

The trick is (as Maynard put it) to reach that state of enlightenment over the course of years of hard work and practice, rather than taking drugs. Has anyone ever heard of experiments done where Monks were given very high doses of LSD and were completely unaffected?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I've heard that DMT trips are incredibly similar for nearly everyone who tries it. Is that true, or just a rumor?

Its very true. Rick Strassman conducted studies by injecting it into patients, and they would go to la-la land and speak with some being of energy, and when they came down, he would shoot them back up, and the crazy thing is, they would go back to the same entity and pick up right where they left off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=grcqs9cDuN8

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: