Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
zzzsleepzzz's Avatar zzzsleepzzz
07-19-2007, 11:57 PM

This was my 13th tool show....

What is there to say?

I saw the Lateralus tour 4 times (one show in London at the Brixton), 10,000 days 9 times (Coachella/Bonnaroo) etc.

I just don't know....I'm torn.

The show was great...TOOL ALWAYS IS...I try to keep in mind when complaining that I would rather see Tool on their worst night then pretty much most other bands on their best ( a few exceptions to this I guess). Anyways...

Sort of freaking bummed that there was ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO set list change from the Reading Show....come on??? I mean really...all I wanted was to see Pushit....9 f'in shows and i still missed it. I mean really??????? WTF...

Its a love hate thing....just like Bonnaroo...great show but they cut their set list SO much earlier then the slot they were billed for. Last night...how much harder is it to just add ONE MORE SONG! I mean holy shit.

I won't even go into it anymore then that...I DID have a great time as always, I try to remain positive.

Oh except for this...

FUCK MEATHEAD TOOL FANS. So to make a long story short. We pull in...we park. We're sitting there for mabye 25 mintues chilling out in the car just relaxing with our eyes closed (my girl and I) when a guy (in A PERFECT CIRCLE SHIRT mind you) walks up and taps on my window. He procedes to tell me "oh we were supposed to hold a spot for our friends like a while ago and we forgot so I'm gonna go find another place for you to park" at which point I politely tell him the lot has filled up, i ain't moving. He walks about 10 feet away looks around, sees no spots, then comes back and taps on the window to say "your gonna have to move our friends will be here in a while and they're gonna park here". I again tell him I'm not moving (at this point the lots full beyond my line of site alllll the way to the end of our section). He tells me that "we'll have to compromise" then procedes to walk infront of our car where he and 15 of his buddies and their girls are tailgating and slamming beers. He calls some girl over, they whisper, then she starts walking to my girlfriends side of the car, opens the car door next to us, and starts acting like she's looking for something while pushing her car door into my girlfriends car. My girl is like "excuse me, what are you doing?" while the girl ignores her. Meanwhile, a dude in a wife beater (the biggest guy there, looked like a pro wrestler) comes over and "trips" and lands on the hood of our car and spills his beer on it. My girlfriend gives him the finger and he gets up and throws his hands up and says "you got a fucking problem?" to my girlfriend. You have to imagine how this looks. My girlfriend is 5' 4" and about 105 pounds, this guys is easily 6' 3" and 250. As my blood is raging to the point I start to contemplate exiting the car and stabbing people in the fucking eye with a pen one by one I come to my senses and tell her to just move the car. I knew for sure events would play out this way...Id get out of the car and no matter how people I could fight first I would eventually end up jumped/and or in jail once the cops arrived (at the very least probably miss the tool show) or that even if we ingored them and left to go to the show they would probably smash a window out or key our car (which had my laptop in it and an expensive guitar). It took so long for me to return to feeling ok again, to bring my bloodpressure back down. I'm one of the most easy going positive people you could meet. I hate the fact that people like that live, breathe, and breed. I also despise they show up at events I think are extrememly positive and spiritual to shotgun beers and mosh during wings for marie...I'm 100000% sure THESE are the fans that Tool hates that they have.

Sorry for the long post...I just had to vent that....

It's funny cause I did trip my face off at the show and ended up having a blast with some great friends! I didn't have any tickets when we showed up, all they had was lawn, but I kept checking back for any new releases and ended up scoring tickets in 102 row r!!!!!!!! How freaking lucky? Made me feel all better....whats even funnier is after the show while I was with all the people I met up with and we were tripping balls, I found a huge brick and it took some serious restraint not to walk right over to where they were parked and smash out their windshield. I do believe in Karma though and decided to be the better person. I haven't been that mad for 10 years....since I got into my last fight in highschool.

PS I do agree about people leaving. Right after the 3rd song, our row cleared out so we had about 6 seats around us that never got used from then on and 4 seats that never got sat the entire show.....some of our friends were on the lawn too, which really sucked!

Last edited by zzzsleepzzz; 07-20-2007 at 12:07 AM..
Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #41

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/18 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Arts Center

This was my 13th tool show....

What is there to say?

I saw the Lateralus tour 4 times (one show in London at the Brixton), 10,000 days 9 times (Coachella/Bonnaroo) etc.

I just don't know....I'm torn.

The show was great...TOOL ALWAYS IS...I try to keep in mind when complaining that I would rather see Tool on their worst night then pretty much most other bands on their best ( a few exceptions to this I guess). Anyways...

Sort of freaking bummed that there was ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO set list change from the Reading Show....come on??? I mean really...all I wanted was to see Pushit....9 f'in shows and i still missed it. I mean really??????? WTF...

Its a love hate thing....just like Bonnaroo...great show but they cut their set list SO much earlier then the slot they were billed for. Last night...how much harder is it to just add ONE MORE SONG! I mean holy shit.

I won't even go into it anymore then that...I DID have a great time as always, I try to remain positive.

Oh except for this...

FUCK MEATHEAD TOOL FANS. So to make a long story short. We pull in...we park. We're sitting there for mabye 25 mintues chilling out in the car just relaxing with our eyes closed (my girl and I) when a guy (in A PERFECT CIRCLE SHIRT mind you) walks up and taps on my window. He procedes to tell me "oh we were supposed to hold a spot for our friends like a while ago and we forgot so I'm gonna go find another place for you to park" at which point I politely tell him the lot has filled up, i ain't moving. He walks about 10 feet away looks around, sees no spots, then comes back and taps on the window to say "your gonna have to move our friends will be here in a while and they're gonna park here". I again tell him I'm not moving (at this point the lots full beyond my line of site alllll the way to the end of our section). He tells me that "we'll have to compromise" then procedes to walk infront of our car where he and 15 of his buddies and their girls are tailgating and slamming beers. He calls some girl over, they whisper, then she starts walking to my girlfriends side of the car, opens the car door next to us, and starts acting like she's looking for something while pushing her car door into my girlfriends car. My girl is like "excuse me, what are you doing?" while the girl ignores her. Meanwhile, a dude in a wife beater (the biggest guy there, looked like a pro wrestler) comes over and "trips" and lands on the hood of our car and spills his beer on it. My girlfriend gives him the finger and he gets up and throws his hands up and says "you got a fucking problem?" to my girlfriend. You have to imagine how this looks. My girlfriend is 5' 4" and about 105 pounds, this guys is easily 6' 3" and 250. As my blood is raging to the point I start to contemplate exiting the car and stabbing people in the fucking eye with a pen one by one I come to my senses and tell her to just move the car. I knew for sure events would play out this way...Id get out of the car and no matter how people I could fight first I would eventually end up jumped/and or in jail once the cops arrived (at the very least probably miss the tool show) or that even if we ingored them and left to go to the show they would probably smash a window out or key our car (which had my laptop in it and an expensive guitar). It took so long for me to return to feeling ok again, to bring my bloodpressure back down. I'm one of the most easy going positive people you could meet. I hate the fact that people like that live, breathe, and breed. I also despise they show up at events I think are extrememly positive and spiritual to shotgun beers and mosh during wings for marie...I'm 100000% sure THESE are the fans that Tool hates that they have.

Sorry for the long post...I just had to vent that....

It's funny cause I did trip my face off at the show and ended up having a blast with some great friends! I didn't have any tickets when we showed up, all they had was lawn, but I kept checking back for any new releases and ended up scoring tickets in 102 row r!!!!!!!! How freaking lucky? Made me feel all better....whats even funnier is after the show while I was with all the people I met up with and we were tripping balls, I found a huge brick and it took some serious restraint not to walk right over to where they were parked and smash out their windshield. I do believe in Karma though and decided to be the better person. I haven't been that mad for 10 years....since I got into my last fight in highschool.

PS I do agree about people leaving. Right after the 3rd song, our row cleared out so we had about 6 seats around us that never got used from then on and 4 seats that never got sat the entire show.....some of our friends were on the lawn too, which really sucked!

Last edited by zzzsleepzzz; 07-20-2007 at 12:07 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Curse1217's Avatar Curse1217
07-20-2007, 06:58 AM

Lateralus solo with Big Business >>>>> Lateralus solo with Melt Banana
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Lateralus solo with Big Business >>>>> Lateralus solo with Melt Banana
OFFLINE |  
bigbadbeno
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM

No one here has mentioned that Adam's guitar was not audible for the first couple seconds of Jambi, that was dissappointing because Jambi hits like a brick when it starts, making it a great opener (although i've always thought stinkfist is the best opener they could possibly play....squeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllll BOOOOOM!!!!!!!). This show was great but you couldn't help but hope for some surprises which weren't there. I'm not sure how but I missed the H. teaser, that would have been cool. This was my second tool show, first was bonnaroo which was the most amazing show i've ever seen by far, even better than paul mccartney at msg (but that could be because I had the shittiest seats possible). Any show pales in comparison to the Bonnaroo show, even the insaaaaaane Lateralus here, because Morello was on the Lateralus at roo! Maynard's "see you soon" was cruel, because we all know we're not. Wonder if he's gonna do any shows for Puscifer? Doesnt seem likely. I loved the 4 way hug at the end, that was so nice to see. Once again a great show from the greatest living band on the planet.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

No one here has mentioned that Adam's guitar was not audible for the first couple seconds of Jambi, that was dissappointing because Jambi hits like a brick when it starts, making it a great opener (although i've always thought stinkfist is the best opener they could possibly play....squeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllll BOOOOOM!!!!!!!). This show was great but you couldn't help but hope for some surprises which weren't there. I'm not sure how but I missed the H. teaser, that would have been cool. This was my second tool show, first was bonnaroo which was the most amazing show i've ever seen by far, even better than paul mccartney at msg (but that could be because I had the shittiest seats possible). Any show pales in comparison to the Bonnaroo show, even the insaaaaaane Lateralus here, because Morello was on the Lateralus at roo! Maynard's "see you soon" was cruel, because we all know we're not. Wonder if he's gonna do any shows for Puscifer? Doesnt seem likely. I loved the 4 way hug at the end, that was so nice to see. Once again a great show from the greatest living band on the planet.
OFFLINE |  
peterphan's Avatar peterphan
07-20-2007, 11:04 AM

My first Tool show,,,ugh. Got into them ~92-93, and always wanted to see them. July '94 I saw my first Phish show and was hooked. Soo glad I finally got to see them, and at the Arts Center nonetheless!

OK, so we went and saw the Rush show a week or so before this. TOTALLY different scene. No wristbands, no beer limits, no lines. This show was targeted by the NJ State Police and that's why it sucked so bad. Is there any way to start a class action lawsuit claiming discrimination against performers?

OK, now on to the show. This was my first and my girlfriends first Tool show even though we have both been long time fans. We were section 402 just right of one of the pillars. Agreed on the muddy vocals sound. I've seen hundreds of shows at the arts center and it all depends on where you are in proximity of the sweet spot of the venue seats. Needless to say...this was one of the best 1st time shows I have ever scene in any genre.

Truly loved the whole performance. Maynard as a silouhette all night was very cool. I like the complete package of entertainment these guys provide live and now would like to see them somewhere smaller.

HIghlights for me were Stinkfist, Schism, and Flood. Really dug the drum duel even though I had no idea who the guests were.

I can completely relate to the meathead syndrome. I was actually surprise how many very cool, nice people were there.

Can't wait to see these guys again, regardless of when or where. And thanks to this site for keeping so up to date on EVERY thing!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

My first Tool show,,,ugh. Got into them ~92-93, and always wanted to see them. July '94 I saw my first Phish show and was hooked. Soo glad I finally got to see them, and at the Arts Center nonetheless!

OK, so we went and saw the Rush show a week or so before this. TOTALLY different scene. No wristbands, no beer limits, no lines. This show was targeted by the NJ State Police and that's why it sucked so bad. Is there any way to start a class action lawsuit claiming discrimination against performers?

OK, now on to the show. This was my first and my girlfriends first Tool show even though we have both been long time fans. We were section 402 just right of one of the pillars. Agreed on the muddy vocals sound. I've seen hundreds of shows at the arts center and it all depends on where you are in proximity of the sweet spot of the venue seats. Needless to say...this was one of the best 1st time shows I have ever scene in any genre.

Truly loved the whole performance. Maynard as a silouhette all night was very cool. I like the complete package of entertainment these guys provide live and now would like to see them somewhere smaller.

HIghlights for me were Stinkfist, Schism, and Flood. Really dug the drum duel even though I had no idea who the guests were.

I can completely relate to the meathead syndrome. I was actually surprise how many very cool, nice people were there.

Can't wait to see these guys again, regardless of when or where. And thanks to this site for keeping so up to date on EVERY thing!
07-20-2007, 12:00 PM

I noticed the difference at the start of Jambi, too. I'm pretty sure that it was intentional on Tool's part. They seemed to ease into the song with mellow bass lines and slowly bring up the guitar, rather than full out blast away. I actually thought it sounded better this way.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

I noticed the difference at the start of Jambi, too. I'm pretty sure that it was intentional on Tool's part. They seemed to ease into the song with mellow bass lines and slowly bring up the guitar, rather than full out blast away. I actually thought it sounded better this way.
OFFLINE |  
scottbird
07-20-2007, 10:47 PM

My 4th Tool show, excellent but I have to agree with some of the complaints, The vocals were a little low for most of the show. The amount of security for drinking was a little silly, Ive never experienced that. But my friend and I were able to drink and smoke alot in the parking lot without any hassle from the troopers. We smoked inside no problem too. Tool is always great but this was probably the weakest show of the 4 ive seen on this tour. Bonnaroo was madness especially with Tom Morello!!! The fact that they didnt close with Aenima was a little weird too. Have they been closing with Vicarious now? Cheers to all the Jersey Tool fans!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

My 4th Tool show, excellent but I have to agree with some of the complaints, The vocals were a little low for most of the show. The amount of security for drinking was a little silly, Ive never experienced that. But my friend and I were able to drink and smoke alot in the parking lot without any hassle from the troopers. We smoked inside no problem too. Tool is always great but this was probably the weakest show of the 4 ive seen on this tour. Bonnaroo was madness especially with Tom Morello!!! The fact that they didnt close with Aenima was a little weird too. Have they been closing with Vicarious now? Cheers to all the Jersey Tool fans!
OFFLINE |  
PArealtor
07-21-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymoynihan View Post
I have to agree about NJ crowds!! Not the first time I can say that either. Anyone go to the Asbury Park show during the Aenima tour...? A good handful of idiots looking for fights, smashing into girls- really bad experience.
I was there.. great show except for those idiots! I remember watching security try to figure out what to do since these guys were so big. After about 4 or 5 songs they got them out but it made for some anxious moments at that show. Especially since I was right on the floor about 10 feet from them...
Old 07-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymoynihan View Post
I have to agree about NJ crowds!! Not the first time I can say that either. Anyone go to the Asbury Park show during the Aenima tour...? A good handful of idiots looking for fights, smashing into girls- really bad experience.
I was there.. great show except for those idiots! I remember watching security try to figure out what to do since these guys were so big. After about 4 or 5 songs they got them out but it made for some anxious moments at that show. Especially since I was right on the floor about 10 feet from them...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply