opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 42
Is Opiate anyone's FAVORITE album?

Of course it's a matter of taste and there's no right or wrong answer, but up against the last three albums, does anybody still really think this is a better album? Would like to hear why if you do.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Re: Is Opiate anyone's FAVORITE album?

Different albums for different moods...if im mad at the world its my favorite but im a happy person so i hope you catch my drift...Im torn between Ænima and Lateralus. All albums are unique in their own special way. Gotta love TOOL.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I'd have to say that Opiate is either my favorite album, or a strong runner up against Undertow. i have a liking for the "darker" moments of tool. I don't care what anybody says, because as chaotic as this record may be, it makes of strong point of being chaotic.
I believe this record has a purpose that few of us have yet to understand, beit half of undertow was originally part of 72826(the demo tape), i'd strongly argue the fact that this album's meaning/messages are just as important as those on any other album. Whether it be the semi-political aspects of Hush, or even the religous aspects of Opiate. All in all, you gotta love how Tool made something so raw and powerful, without lacking complexity, and to some extent keeping it's simplicity, as well. I dare anyone to try to understand this album and walk away feeling as innocent as they did before hand.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Well...it's not really an album
Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #5

i accept your arguement, and agree. Opiate is an EP.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

I have to disagree with you, well here's what Wikipedia says:

Quote:
An album or record album is a collection of related audio or music tracks distributed to the public.
That said, my girlfriend's favorite album is Opiate, she likes the raw part of it. She was really excited when I showed her the 91 show.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I have to disagree with you, well here's what Wikipedia says:

That said, my girlfriend's favorite album is Opiate, she likes the raw part of it. She was really excited when I showed her the 91 show.
It may not be a full length feature, but it does include some of their best work....
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #8

by technical release standards opiate is an EP, not a full-length album, an album none the less, but not designated as such in accordance to Tool's contract (or so i've read many a time), which is probably why half of Tool's audience considers opiate an album, and the other half doesn't. to be honest i don't care about the technicalities of the situation, what i said earlier is what matters. Opiate is amazing.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 4103

I'm an aussie and apart from this forum majority of the americans that I talk to say that Opiate is Tools best work. I don't agree or disagree, I like all of what Tool does....

The thing that grabs me is that these people tell me Opiate is Tools best work because after Opiate Tool comformed and became washed up.... or what the record companies wanted them to be.

I'm probably stating the obvious here but these people are fools. Opiate is raw and each time Tool brings out a new album they evolve. (In my eyes anyway)

I think maybe I'm talking to the wrong people about this band.

Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I have to disagree with you.
... This has been discussed to death a zillion times.

An album and an LP are synonymous. An EP is not an album.

If Opiate were meant to be an album, 'Nard could've just as easily sang, "Back from '92, from the first LP," but he didn't. Chew on that for a minute.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn View Post
The thing that grabs me is that these people tell me Opiate is Tools best work because after Opiate Tool comformed and became washed up.... or what the record companies wanted them to be.
Are you kidding me?!

After signing, the label wanted a metal record.

They got Opiate.

It's a metal record.

If that's not "conforming" to what the label wants, I don't know what is.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:51 AM   #12
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
Are you kidding me?!

After signing, the label wanted a metal record.

They got Opiate.

It's a metal record.

If that's not "conforming" to what the label wants, I don't know what is.

Well I know this. It's these american people I talk to (that I stated are fools) who try to argue with me.

I have to say Opiate is great, but Tool were most probably looking for footholes when they wrote it. Same with Undertow.

I think maybe these people are just too narrow minded to look outside the square and explore whatever is it that surrounds them.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #13

Bincount™: 6

whenever i try to introduce someone to tool, i usually recommend opiate or undertow, just because those are the 2 most commercial. it takes people a while to appreciate lateralus at first listen, and i dont know anyone other than myself with the patience for that. people like commercial, people dont like thinking.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Banned.

It makes me sad that people don't want to think anymore. That's why this world is so fucked up.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 272

this album is more of a foreshawdowing of what was to come in modern hard rock
i mean listen to this then like idk disturbed or something
they sound very close
and tool played this is 92 if im correct
they are ahead of the curve
Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
An album and an LP are synonymous. An EP is not an album.
No, you are wrong. Album does not equal LP. Album equals a collection of songs put together; hell, I would even say that an album can be one song. There are plenty of albums that are one track.

If you can pull a fact from somewhere other than your ass that contradicts what the dictionary and Wikipedia say, then you should probably do that. Otherwise, you're definitely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Extended play (EP) is the name typically given to vinyl records or CDs which contain more than one single but are too short to qualify as albums. Usually, an album has eight or more tracks (anywhere between 25–80 minutes), a single has one to three (up to 10 minutes), and an EP four to seven (or around 10–25 minutes).
Opiate has 6 tracks/7 songs, and it's 26 minutes. Its length fits the criteria for an album. Those aren't hard and fast rules either...Opeth's Still Life and Orchid are only 7 tracks and they are full length albums. Fantomas' Delìrium Còrdia is a full length album that is one track.

Opiate is an album. It is also an EP.

Last edited by hushypushy; 05-29-2007 at 03:45 PM..
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

I have been reading many of the posts about Opiate and it's raw and gritty songs. I have all four of Tool's LPs and was looking into either Opiate or Salival. Does anyone have recommendations on getting Opiate or Salival? Should I get Opiate just to "complete" my LP and EP collection?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
I have been reading many of the posts about Opiate and it's raw and gritty songs. I have all four of Tool's LPs and was looking into either Opiate or Salival. Does anyone have recommendations on getting Opiate or Salival? Should I get Opiate just to "complete" my LP and EP collection?
Opiate is worthy, but it's something you have to be in the mood for.

That said, Opiate jumps between being my favorite and least favorite Tool album. Salival, though, just generally feels... underwhelming, really. I'd have preferred one with more live tracks.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

not to bring up a dead thread, but i didnt want to make a new one about it... and this is relative...

Opiate was the first Tool album(EP, LP, whatever) that i ever heard. It was stuck in my buddy's CD player for the longest time. Any time we'd drive around, we'd listen to it, eventually I asked wtf we were listening to, because it really grew on me. I ended up buying the album from one of the music stored by me, and fell in love. It's by far my favorite, i cant just listen to one song, i have to listen to them all, and it's short enough to be able to listen to every song. Don't get me wrong, but the dude enjoys all the other albums equally, this one just has more of a sentimental value to it.

i recommend this album to anyone who has never heard of tool, and they all usually end up liking it, and going on to listen to the others
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

"YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS LARRY, WHEN YOU FIND A STRANGER IN THE ALPS!!"
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

i see.... well the dude abides
Old 09-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
gaufre

Bincount™: 234

Opiate needs to be remastered, imo.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

no it doesnt, IMO
Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

I think Opiate is a great album. It's definitely the easiest Tool album to get a grasp of.

It's best to listen to when you're going for a run.

I definitely wouldn't say it's my favourite though.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 456

My friend Joe likes Opiate quite a bit... it's the one he seems to talk about the most. I think it's probably his favorite, though it isn't mine.

Although Maynard's voice was never that pure again..... still not my favorite.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #26
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Each album is good in it's own respect, I love how throughout each album they have evolved and you can totally tell the difference from Opiate thru 10,000 Days.

I would have to say Opiate is not my fav but I like each of them equally if you view each album by itself and not as a group of them.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
gaufre

Bincount™: 234

I just don't ever listen to opiate. All the songs are much better when preformed later on and live with soundboard rips. The best part of opiate has to be the gaping lotus experiment.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #28
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLikeYouImagined View Post
I think Opiate is a great album. It's definitely the easiest Tool album to get a grasp of.

It's best to listen to when you're going for a run.

I definitely wouldn't say it's my favourite though.
Or going out to buy smokes.
And a new lighter.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

For my senior English Lit. term paper, I decided to write about Tool, from Opiate to Lateralus, as it was the last album they'd released at the time. I was going to write about the evolution of themes in Tool lyrics and rock music as poetry. But we were required to have a certain number of other papers that we would have to cite as sources dealing with the specific subject of our thesis, and after some cursory research, I found that there weren't enough college students who had written papers in the same direction as I wanted to go, so the teacher wouldn't let me do it.

So I just didn't do the assignment and I nearly failed. But I have ethical issues with being denied a certain course simply because of its originality, so I didn't mind that much. It was an AP English Lit class, too, so one should expect that we might have been allowed to think for ourselves, that we might have been expected to have enough sense to analyze something on our own, given that our teacher claimed that one's interpretation of the written word was entirely subjective and nearly always valid.

Ironically, I think, despite the ease of understanding Opiate in general terms, it would have been one of the hardest for me to link with my subject.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #30
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

opiate didnt strike a chord much for me until recently. of course i devoured it like the rest of their music. but it just never hit home, or maybe its because i didnt allow it. i couldnt understand wut the album wanted to say, but i couldnt comprehend its full gravity until years later.

keeping in mind i only found out about his mothers ailments just prior to 10,000 days being released. one can really hear the range of emotions maynard had to be of been going through at the time. added with some rumors, of possible sexual abuse no other tool release seems have him so pure, yet so angry.

its interesting to keep his mother in mind, through the evolution of tool, and how maynards coping skills changed throughout the years.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #31
Level 12 - Scurrilous

I like Opiate.
Listening to it today, it took me back to the early 90's.
The generation of swine.
Stuck in the middle of the Republican Years. Reagan and the 1st Bush.
Pissing in a cup. Acid rain. The whole sex is death stuff. The End of Days. Just say no. And all of those Reganisms.
That period produced bands like Tool, Rage, Jane's, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc...(my favorites from that era.) Censorship was the word of the day. Before the whole politcally correct coup d'etat that we're still wandering through. It's still a form of censorship.
Shit. It would have been a great essay; Why Opiate, Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus is, antithetically, the definitive soundtrack for the GOP--from Reagan to Bush Sr.
Fold it into an airplane, and let it go in the teacher's direction.
"Chew on that for awhile, dipshit," you would utter upon take off.

p.s. Lateralus. Your final paragraph. What can happen with a little hope, and a Democrat in the White House.

Last edited by gonzo; 11-22-2008 at 03:40 PM..
Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Yes. I bought Opiate today.

I'm at the counter behind two raisons buying Debbie Reynolds and Elvis.
I pay for my purchase. The salesperson doesn't offer me a bag or even say 'thanks, come again.' Nothing. Whatever, I think. I got mine.
But, walking away, I muttered, "You have a nice fucking day, too."
They turned to me.
I flashed them the Explicit Lyrics sticker and smiled.
And for sure, I felt a true, honest feeling of good flutter in my heart.
Besides, I know the owner. They'd want their staff being polite, right?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

I bought my copy of Opiate at a local record store, since Best Buy didn't have it. I was...mmm, fourteen? Pretty sure. And the guy at the counter implied strongly that he hoped my boyfriend liked the album, and I just stared at him. "What boyfriend?" No sir, girls in this town can't listen to stuff like that, no way Jose. That wasn't uncommon, though, back then. For me. I mean, I got some cash for my fifteenth birthday and bought a Fear Factory CD and Toxicity by SoaD. Best Buy cashier looked at me (I looked like I was probably about 13 then, and I was wearing some horrible goth shirt) and then at my mum. She didn't say, "You're both fucked in the head," but she thought it really loudly. So, she would have looked at it differently if I had been buying explicit manstream gangsta' rap. I've yet to figure out how that's better. Fuck, man. If I had to decide between letting my (theoretical, metaphoric) kid listen to SoaD or NIN or Tool versus some mainstream rap shit or whore pop like the goddamned Pussycat Dolls, I'd pick the rock, of course. At least most rock n roll musicians don't talk about how great it is to shoot people and sell crack and steal cars and all that. And it's more likely to make them question authority, and I can honestly say that I would be ashamed if I raised a kid that didn't think.

When, o lord, will this sense of perpetual indignation end? I mean, I wasn't this angry when I was a child...
Old 11-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

When my daughter, who is fourteen, took my Led Zeppelin and Tool CD's, and downloaded them onto her IPOD, I felt both proud and vindicated. For she is captain of her basketball team and an honour student. And when she listens to loud rock she is calmer. Easier to talk to. She calls it 'Screamo.'
But I've talked to her about paradoxes.
So, she's adopted an Audrey Hepburn look. "Then people can't pigeon hole me," she says. It's French. It's cool. Whatever.
She likes Lateralus. Last week we talked about that, and a few other musically related things. Last year, at her school, I played drums for her bandmates and her, so they could play a couple Beatles' songs to her peers, you know, Grade 8.
That's pretty cool.
Tonight she's chasing vampires at Twilight.
I figure there's a balance. She made me listen to Blink 182.
A little swearing, shit, life goes on...
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'm glad that you can talk to your kidsky about stuff like that. I had a real shit relationship with my dad, and at that age, I was pretty much butting heads with my mum all the time. So I'm always glad to hear when people actually have a decent relationship with their teenage daughters.

That's cool. I respect that. Mucho awesome points for you.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #36

Bincount™: 196

There is nothing wrong with Pussycat Dolls. Quality music will always come to those who search for it no matter what kind of music they were predisposed to, so you shouldn't be worried if your kids start off listening to gangsta rap and Pussycat Dolls, you can suggest, play certain music to them, but ultimately you have to let them mould their own music taste, it's called natural progression, I bet you weren't born listening to Rachmaninoff or Tool as well. You can raise a kid "that doesn't think", but most likely will rebel against you, by imposing your own preferences on him/her as well no matter how refined and good for him/her you might think they are. Pop is good for what it is, it's instant fun and that's quite frankly all we need sometimes, and all we needed as kids, it was like candy, I rather ate my nutella than chewed on that fucking salad they were raping me with even though I love it now. They're not here to steal audience from anyone, they're not depriving you of anything, they're not shoving their music down anyone's throat, they just are and those who like them listen to them, simple as that, there is no need to feel threatened by it.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #37
Level 12 - Scurrilous

I try to censor nothing. Or, I try not to quash or quench anything.
I like to see what happens. (You know, professionally speaking, of course.)
I just make suggestions if I am questioned.
To get along, you have to go along.
Simply, I like music on around the house. Any music. (Sure, a variety is best.)
Whatever, if my children choose to hear Sum 41, Blink 182, Zeppelin and Tool, it just works out better for me. But I don't dictate. I do the opposite. Turn it up, I say.
For instance, this morning it's Michael Jackson singing while I prepare the waffles, heat the syrup, and bake some brownies.
They'll be begging for Soundgarden and salad for dinner.

p.s. Write the word 'CHOICE' on a piece of paper. Hold it to a mirror. It's the only word in the English language that is reflected back at us as is and unchanged.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #38
Level 12 - Scurrilous

The album Louder Than Love by Soundgarden was one of the first few to get the Tipper Sticker.
This morning, when my family told me to take that crap off(Michael Jackson), I booed them, yet conceded.
I put on Hands All Over, and these words jumped out at me:

"Hands all over Western culture, ruffling feathers and turning eagles into vultures."

Somedays, it's hard to DJ; the whole audience Tipper Gores...next up Opiate, then Rage.
Raptors versus Celtics. We need a good soundtrack chock full o' grit.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #39
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Watching the Raptors with my daughter listening to Rage, I change the songs to Tool, and I play Opiate first.
My mother-in-law walks in from church to say hi, and go shopping.
She says to me, "Question?"
She watches the Office, so I say, "What, Dwight?"
She says, "Crown Royal, or?" And gestures.
"Whaddaya' mean?," I say.
"Christmas," she replies.
From the IPOD station, "Jesus Christ...and deaf and blind and dumb and..."
"Wild Turkey," I answer, thinking, this is a good day.
I could tell this morning when I put on Thriller.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #40
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Hush.
And all this goodwill today is because I took my son to Toronto Friday night to see the Raptors. Least that's how I'm figuring it. Comes round full circle.

So to make a long story short, I like Opiate, Hush, and Jerk-Off.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: