opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Petersen Events Center

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Petersen Events Center

Set list was same as previous nights:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings/10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Maynard didn't do a lot of talking. Some quotes though:
To start off the show, "how about them steelers..... i love hockey too"
and the "Detroit was louder...still louder....louder" bit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Comparing Cleveland's show to Pittsburgh's, I have to say the band appeared a lot more invested in Pittsburgh's show. Maynard was quite a bit more animated and more than one smile was shared by Justin & Danny.

I swear, though, "Rosetta Stoned" must be cursed. Where the band gaffed last night they did so again, and Adam broke a string (or two?) during the song.

I was anxious about the sound at the Petersen, but it was impeccable from where I was seated (Section 1, Row E, Seat 3).

This was probaby the best of the 4 shows I've seen on this tour, 2 warm-up shows included.

Thank you, gentlemen, for continuing to make music and share it with us.

Last edited by MrVinnie77; 09-26-2006 at 07:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

My first Tool show...Absolutely amazing.

The set list is right (the same as past shows), although they did some interlude between Lateralus and Vicarious.

Sound was perfect in Section 205, Row D, Seat 3 (that's upper deck). The only problems were Rosetta Stoned, where I barely heard the beginning lyrics, and Lateralus, which Maynard started and paused....It's possible the crowd filled it in, but I couldn't hear enough to tell.

Maynard barely spoke, other than "Good Evening, Drunk People" at the beginning, and "How about them Steelers? I'm with you, I'm a big hockey fan". He did the Detroit bit after Wings, and added a "Peace Out" before Aenima.

They certainly know how to put on an amazing performance. I think I understand why they've stuck with this set list...it's perfect. You can't end a show better than they are, with Lateralus, Vicarious, and Aenima. Aenima is absolutely the greatest show-closing song.

Highlights for me were The Pot (which I've been dying to hear live), Vicarious, and Aenima (the last two for the sheer energy in the Pete).

The vocals were spot on, with all screams in tact. Looks like Maynard's fully recovered.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second Tool show, the first being on the Lateralus tour. I sat in section 6B row D. I was surprised how great the view was from those seats! Perfect centered view.
The sound was amazing, and I was very happy with the setlist. Opening with Stinkfist got everyone going. I would have liked to have heard Opiate, but they still played an awesome set. I enjoyed the light show too, with the fog and all. My favorite songs of the night were Stinkfist, The Pot, and Aenema. Ah my ears are still ringing!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

it was awesome!!!!my friend bailed before the show so i sold the xtra ticket. they tore it up! some missed cues and time changes aside---it was great. lots of crowd energy-at least by me!!!!! maynard sounded good too!!!!!!!!!!!!worth the wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

My First tool show. Just freaking awesome. Section 120 seats 4-8
Wish it wouldn't of been at the PEC. The security guards were assholes. If you so much moved they would yell at you.

I can't hear a darn thing right now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Nothing to complain about, phenomenal performance, tight, but human, would have liked to hear right in two, the crowd was mellow but focused, had 6th row center. got a firm paw on dannys drum skin but it was pulled away by a much larger more aggresive tool fan, i got to see it and touch it at least.
acoustics in the pete were good, isis was great, souvenirs were overpriced.
the band did not look disinterested to me as reported in previous reviews recently. highlight to me were jambi, rosetta, lateralus.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

My first Tool show, and definately not my last.

Met a pretty cool dude next to me keeping track of the set list. If you're reading this, I'm the guy with the black long curly hair named Clides.

Anyways the show was insane. Smelled like pot for the first half of the show, and the security like said above, was a fucking bitch. My phone was out for a split second and security came over and gave me a warning.

Section 124, row R was a pretty good view of the band and all its glory. Being at a Basketball arena, it was still pretty damn good, but I would love to see them at a more concert friendly stadium if you ask me. Everything from Stinkfist until Schism was insane. Lost Keys was better than I expected to be as an opener to Rosetta Stoned, but Maynard was incredibly hard to hear during that song. Wings/10,000 Days was emotional as fucking hell. The huge pause where everyone was gathering together I suppose was one of those heartwarming moments. I couldn't tell though considering the energy that was already flowing through me at the moment. Lateralus was insane for me being my favorite song. It was so good and passed by so fast. Vicarious was alright after the first half in my opinion, but Aenema had the crowed hyped up. Great fucking band live and I'll definately be seeing them again in the future. Come back to Pittsburgh ASAP!

Hopes for my next experience: Right in Two, a better arena, and possibly Pushit or maybe even Third Eye. :)
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was good but way to loud for the arena. I couldn't hear the lyrics.I didn't notice any mistakes but thats probably because the sound was so distorted. Isis sounded much clearer than Tool did. I was in section 124 row Y against the wall. I saw someone in front of me get busted with a cell phone out,it was probably you Stinkfyst. I got busted with my phone out too. I think security was way out of control. The jackass was to busy shining his flashlight in my face to notice that people were throwing glow sticks from the top deck.

For me the highlight was when everyone got their lighters out and the laser show was awesome too. I also thought it was cool that people were selling T-shirts on I-376 exit 2A. You don't see that everyday.

I would like to see Tool come to Post Gazette Pavillion next time they're in town(I saw NIN there in June,the sound was amazing compared to tonight) and mix some older songs in their set list.

In summary: Tool was good as always, Petersen Center sucks ass

Last edited by Powerlever; 09-26-2006 at 11:37 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

5th time I've seen them.
this show was good.
tool never disappoints.

okay.. now for my rant... so to speak....

Comparing this show to the Columbus show 5 nights ago... even though the setlist is the exact same.... two totally different shows....

The people in Columbus were, in my humble opinion, better fans. They were louder, moved around more, and seemed to care a little bit more than the people at the show tonight. I mean, I looked up into the stands and saw TONS OF PEOPLE UPSTAIRS SITTING DOWN..... to me, that's a CARDINAL SIN at a rock concert.
If you want to sit down, go see a country music show. Rock show - get your ass out of your seat.

The people were just louder in Columbus. They screamed nonstop... Tonight, it seemed like the cheers after the songs had to build for a minute before you could actually hear an overall cheer.

I mean, I know it's just for laughs, but anytime a lead singer has to say "Detroit was louder".... and i know how much he just likes to fuck around.... but I said to my friend "they probably were" because for some reason... tonights crowd just seemed a little dead to me....

Maybe i'm wrong.... but I don't think I am...

Hopefully someone who went to the Columbus show was at this show as well, and can back up what I've said...

I mean, it was still a great show..... just not as good as 5 nights ago.... when it seemed like the fucking roof was going to blow off....
People didn't wait for them to take a break to put their lighters up in the air...
They had them on for the entire 17 min. of Wings/10,000 days....

I don't know... little things about tonights show bothered me I guess...
Show'wise... it was flawless....
Fan'wise.... it was kind of weak.... to me at least....
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

And in response to this...

"You can't end a show better than they are, with Lateralus, Vicarious, and Aenima. Aenima is absolutely the greatest show-closing song."

I'll just say that in 2002...
Disposition/Reflection/Triad/Lateralus.... is a MUCH BETTER ending to a show than the current end....

but yes, I do realize it was 2002.... lol
Old 09-27-2006, 12:37 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

I agree with all the reviews so far for the most part. It was hard to hear Maynard at times, but I don't think it was the overall mix, just the vocals are mixed down as with the studio recording of 10,000 Days.
The show overall was mind blowing (as always). I was extemely impressed with the stage set up, from the use of the white stage, to the screen visuals and laser usage. I loved that it seemed to get more intense as the set progressed.
The setlist is (near) perfection. The only thing missing is a song from Opiate or Undertow. Can't complain though, I got to hear the songs I was aching for (The Pot, Jambi, Rosetta, and Wings / 10,000 Days). Having seen the band 6 times previously, I personally like to hear the new stuff and how it translates to being played live.

As far as the "crowd participation level".....
I can't speak for anyone else, but my friend and I were screaming the whole show (I can barely whisper right now), sweating like we were running a marathon, and loving every second of it. I was slightly disapointed by the energy level of the crowd as a whole, but it seemed to pick up as the show went on.
Also, I personally had my lighter up during the outro of 10,000 Days, and again while they chilled on the riser, but I must agree with Opium that there should have been a lot more in the air during Days. That song sent chills down my spine.
Oh, and I noticed the uptight security as someone mentioned above. I was in section 124, row G, and I saw at least three people get scolded by them. Though unlike the two unlucky folks who said they yelled about the camera phones, my friend got several pictures and mulitple 15 sec vids on her phone without harassment.

Phenominal show! Still my favorite band, still the best live show hands down.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

I really enjoyed this show. We sat in Sect. 221, upper right corner oof the stage, looking down over Justin. The stage floor visuals made those seats entirely worthwhile.

As stated, the setlist hasn't varied in recent shows. I was disappointed not to hear anything from Undertow and not hearing Right In Two, but that takes nothing away from the show. I realized when leaving their show is so complex and intricately timed with visuals, I imagine it would be more than a little difficult to change night in/night out and to do something spontaneous with the setlist.

Another curiosity I noticed is how they (Adam, Justin, Maynard) never change stage set-ups, position-wise (from tour to tour), nor do they wander very far from their appointed spots, except Maynard briefly during Rosetta Stoned.

My own opinion, not really able to see facial expressions: MJK wasn't very jovial; between song banter was curt and almost sounded disdainful. Didn't stop them from putting together another great performance. I was concerned when MJK dropped out of the first verse of Lateralus, but he bounced right back after a big drink of water.

Through my earplugs, I believe I heard a great bit of the crowd singing along to just about everything.

Another in a string of excellent shows by these guys over the years.
shoot you myself.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Incredible Tool performance! I was in section 6d row 1... Practically the floor and right behind the barricade. This was undeniably the loudest concert I've ever been to. I was disappointed when stinkfist started because it was hard to hear Maynard. By the middle of that song they adjusted and I think the balance between vocal/instruments were spot on from then on.

Lights were great. I dig the Pink Floyd laser show look, and there was some great imagery on the screens that creeped my Wife out. LOL! Maynard was quiet and just got down to business. Did he get cold? It's the first time I ever saw him put his cloths back on!!!

Set list was great and Lateralus and Schism took me to another world. Speaking of that song, did anyone see the girl (too much acid???) skip to the front of the stage? It was the funniest shit I've seen.. During the ride the spiral lyrics the fucking girl skipped right past me like a small child heading for the stage... I laughed, and a minute later she was skipping back past me... this time with two security guards on each arm!!! The funny thing is that she never stopped skipping!!! LMFAO!!!

Overall it was a blast and stuck with me much like the APC concert did in 03. I saw NIN in June and as great as that concert was and as good as it sounded... it left me the next morning.. Tool on the other hand is still there, fresh in my mind and always will be. Their music is to me what Lennon and McCartney’s were for my Mother. True inspiration... I hope to see them again.

Oh.. Shame on the two knucklefucks that were disappointed and complaining because they didn't play Sober! Pay attention slackers.

"Peace out" - CUE Ænema
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I must say, the security was really, over the top, off the hook, crazy. I was 6 rows back, on the floor, in front of Justin. I was actually kind of worried before the show cause I'm getting a little old (almost 30) to be jumping around in a mosh pit, but pretty much anyone exhibiting a response any more emphatic than a \m/ got a flashlight in the face or worse. The chairs on the floor level were all zip-tied together, making it pretty well impossible for them to be folded up.

I saw APC at the AJ Palumbo center a few years back, and I gotta say that the Petersen has vastly better sound that either Palumbo or Mellon Arena. I read tour reviews from earlier shows so I knew this show was going to be super loud, so I brought ear plugs. I took them out for a second at one point and it was absolutely piercingly loud. They could have come back a bit on the PA volume, if you asked me. Although, I'll admit, the volume on the low frequency was truly impressive; there were a few moments when you could really really feel it shaking around your innards.

Overall, the highlight for me was Lateralus. The tightness of the band seemed to come up over the course of the show (miscued vocals aside) and that 'encore' of Lateralus, Vicarious and AEnima is really a great finisher.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I just really wish things were a little more fluid on the floor. I could probably live without all-out moshing, but the level of imposed restraint and security really killed the vibe. People around me were clearly very into it, but everyone was also clearly afraid to leave their designated box lest they draw the ire of the veritable army of security and ushers. So when people say that the crowd didn't seem alive, you've gotta understand, a lot of that was imposed by 'the man.' It's hard to throw a good party on the front porch of a police station.

Overall though, what a show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my first tool show and i've been a fan since 1999. i was too young to go to the lateralus show at the mellon by myself. i think this show was amazing and totally worth the 7 year wait. it's weird because tomarrow it will be 5 years since the last time they were here. i sure hope this isn't their last. amazing show!!! thanks guys!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 7th Tool show. Row 10, dead center stage. Compared to the night before in Cleveland, this show had more energy from the band. However, the sound was not as good and the band messed up at least 2 times that I caught. Maynard sang the wrong line in Wings/10000 Days and it completly screwed up Justin and Danny. Also their timing was way off a couple of times in Lateralus. Maybe the sound at the venue had something to do with it. All in all it was another great show though. Also noted: Adam broke 2 strings during Rosetta stoned and recovered nicely. Maynard lost his voice on Lateralus and he seemed visibly pissed. The highlight of the show for me was Rosetta Stoned. Maynard actually came up towards the front of the stage a couple of times during the song. Also, just watching Danny tear it up, song after song. He is simply the best. After seeing them 2 nights in row, it reaffirmed my feelings that Tool is the very best live band out right now. They have been great from the first time I saw hem in '97. Only wish Maynard would stand up front like he used to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:46 AM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

First, my greatest memories are images of my brother Troy thoroughly enjoying his first live experience with them, completely immersed and in awe. He was enamored (as was I) but more so since this was his initiation. At one point during the beginning of Lost Keys, I glanced over and he was standing there, eyes closed, head tilted back, just taking it all in.

Next would be Maynard's sense of humor. I can't get enough of it! Somewhere in the beginning, maybe after their first song he said, quite disenchantedly, "How about them Steelers?" This conjured groans from my sister and me. (I'm a Steelers fan but there's a time and a place.) Of course, in Pittsburgh, this elicits a ridiculous amount of noise. At Family Values, the roar was louder than any the bands could evoke from fans. Embarrassing really. After the crowd quieted, he said simply, "I'm with you, I'm a big hockey fan." HAA. That was great. He probably lost a few fans then but who cares!

Petersen Events Center is HORRIBLE for sound quality and from what I could tell, Tool had trouble dealing with the noise too. No wonder they didn't want anyone to record there!

The stage was simple and white and was used as a back drop for a feast of lights and video. That, combined with lasers and smoke made for a very entertaining night. When the band sat together in the middle of the stage after 10,000 Days, I thought they were mocking the hundreds of fans that were also sitting. Since they played until the last possible second, I now think they were taking a short rest so as not to waste time prompting an encore.

Another thought... this was the first time that I've ever seen Maynard out in front and not hiding behind something. With cowboy boots and hat, he took his place on the stage and wasn't behind a mask or a rotating screen or blue paint or boobs and a skirt. He was himself and for that I am oh-so grateful!

Oh, this show - my heart! I am full and thankful and will ride this wave for some time. Thank you Tool. Thank you for coming to Pittsburgh. I can only hope that you'll continue to return. If you don't... ROAD TRIP!

Last edited by hotrats51; 09-27-2006 at 07:49 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium View Post
5th time I've seen them.
this show was good.
tool never disappoints.

okay.. now for my rant... so to speak....

Comparing this show to the Columbus show 5 nights ago... even though the setlist is the exact same.... two totally different shows....

The people in Columbus were, in my humble opinion, better fans. They were louder, moved around more, and seemed to care a little bit more than the people at the show tonight. I mean, I looked up into the stands and saw TONS OF PEOPLE UPSTAIRS SITTING DOWN..... to me, that's a CARDINAL SIN at a rock concert.
If you want to sit down, go see a country music show. Rock show - get your ass out of your seat.

The people were just louder in Columbus. They screamed nonstop... Tonight, it seemed like the cheers after the songs had to build for a minute before you could actually hear an overall cheer.

I mean, I know it's just for laughs, but anytime a lead singer has to say "Detroit was louder".... and i know how much he just likes to fuck around.... but I said to my friend "they probably were" because for some reason... tonights crowd just seemed a little dead to me....

Maybe i'm wrong.... but I don't think I am...

Hopefully someone who went to the Columbus show was at this show as well, and can back up what I've said...

I mean, it was still a great show..... just not as good as 5 nights ago.... when it seemed like the fucking roof was going to blow off....
People didn't wait for them to take a break to put their lighters up in the air...
They had them on for the entire 17 min. of Wings/10,000 days....

I don't know... little things about tonights show bothered me I guess...
Show'wise... it was flawless....
Fan'wise.... it was kind of weak.... to me at least....
I agree that the fans weren't as vigilant as they should have been. My sister and I kept screaming to get the fuck up! What is wrong with you??? When the band sat down together in the middle of the stage, I was sure they were mocking Pittsburgh fans and I was terrified that they would walk off and never come back. Fortunately, once I realized that they weren't encoring but playing out until the end, I assumed that was a much needed break. But will they come back? Maybe I need to start travelling to find others who simply CAN'T sit down!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

I was a huge fan of the visuals on the Lateralus tour, so I was a bit worried when I saw pictures of the small screens, as opposed to the giant ones I remember. But no worry was needed. The screens + stage projections + lights + net-of-being lights in the back + lasers = even better than Lateralus visuals. I like how they built the visuals up over the course of the show. Starting of with just good old lighting during Stinkfist, then one little projection for the The Pot, slowly building up to the spectacular full array of lighting and visuals during the 'encore.'

I had been reading about the other shows here on TDN, and knew the setlist by heart. I knew the lighters were coming, I knew lasers would show up, I knew he would say the last show was louder, etc. But knowing all that did not diminish the experience in the least. The set list is great the way it is, and I agree it would be really difficult to stick a new song in the middle of all that, unless it was the very beginning.

This is the greatest stage show I have ever seen. The lasers look 100x cooler in person than any picture or video can show. Wings/Days was executed beautifully, and the visuals really added to the experience of that song. The timing and sheer intensity of the projections/lights/lasers alone is a work of art, and I imagine not easy to pull off.

As for Maynard hiding in the back: from what I saw twice on the Lateralus tour, he was way more in the back then. He seemed much more visible this time, and more than just a shillouette. Although, he did tend to face my side of the arena most of the time.

The music itself was, well, Tool. The new songs were really strong live. The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Jambi, and Vicarious rock as hard as anything, and were all really intense. I hadn't heard Schism on crack before, and enjoyed that very much. The mix was overall too loud. If they had been mixed the same as Isis, or maybe only a little louder, it would have been fine. It took my ears all of Stinkfist to adjust. Maynard was burried, especially during Rosetta. But knowing the words kind of made up for it, and I enjoyed his gesturing as he described the flaming stealth banana. Rosetta is one of the most overall fun songs they have, in terms of humor, pure rock power, and complexity of riffs/fills. The visuals were perfect for it. During Wings Maynard seemed to be turned up more, and stayed that way for the rest of the show. He wasn't drowning out anyone else, and I thought that volume should have been used the whole time. Nonetheless, he was audible, and rocked. I did appreciate the loudness of the bass. Too many bands shove the bass in the background, but this is one bass player who demands to be heard front and center. Amazing. Danny, of course, was in several dimmensions the rest of us weren't. And Adam was stupendous, whether dropping heavy riffs on us like bombs or sending his solos soaring into the sky.

The pure loudness drowned out the crowd, and not even the person standing next to me could hear me belting out lyrics. One of the highlights of my Lateralus tour experience was hearing the entire crowd singing in perfect sync with the band, while still hearing Maynard clearly. Especially during the "hey, hey, hey" at the beginning of AEnema. But the drowning out of the crowd also made it a really personal experience, where all you could hear was the band, and they were completely surrounding you in sonic and visual brilliance. I could feel like they were playing just for me, even in a crowd of thousands.

I, for one, appreciated the tameness of the crowd, even if it was imposed by security. I think the band liked it too. It focuses all the energy on the actual art being created. The section I was in (121, Row H) mostly sat down for Wings/Days, which I was pleased with. There wasn't much I could do but sit there and be amazed at the sounds and sights. There was a real sense of genuine awe and wonder during that song, with the smoke and lasers complimenting the beauty of the music perfectly.

Isis surprised me. I expected not to like them, but actually enjoyed them quite a bit. It's definitely not music for everyone, but I like instrumental/mostly instrumental atmospheric metal/rock. They played to a good sized crowd, and the crowd showed a lot of love for them. I think if one can appreciate what they do, they are a good mood-setter for Tool. Just my opinion, anyway.

Could anyone tell me what the sign said that people were holding up after/during 10,000 Days? It was on the floor, Justin's side, halfway between the stage and sound booth. It was turned sideways to me, so I couldn't see it well. I think it said "deliver the message"? As in, the message of hope for those who choose to hear it, and a warning for those who do not?

Anyway, spectacular show. It exceeded my expectations from the Lateralus tour, and provided a beautiful artistic experience that was both huge and personal.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Two words: frickin' lasers.

Jesus Harold Christ what a great show for my first time. Everything was impeccable, aside from Lateralus. I'm pretty sure Adam was the one who fucked it up...i think he got behind in the intro, which threw Maynard off. Then Adam came back in to go into the chorus, he got behind again. He finally got his shit together though. Other than that, it was fucking orgasmic.....especially the $38 t-shirt. Motherfuckers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

So many of these reviews are giving me shivers. Thank goodness I lived long enough to be there last night. It really was fucking unbelievable. I too wanted to hear Right In Two and I wonder if there will be a point on their tour when they switch it up. Torn over that thought because I think everyone should experience what we witnessed/heard last night.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Wings View Post
Speaking of that song, did anyone see the girl (too much acid???) skip to the front of the stage? It was the funniest shit I've seen.. During the ride the spiral lyrics the fucking girl skipped right past me like a small child heading for the stage... I laughed, and a minute later she was skipping back past me... this time with two security guards on each arm!!! The funny thing is that she never stopped skipping!!! LMFAO!!!

"Peace out" - CUE Ænema

Yes, she started back where I was, at the back of the stadium. She was definitely on something!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eussiah View Post
Could anyone tell me what the sign said that people were holding up after/during 10,000 Days? It was on the floor, Justin's side, halfway between the stage and sound booth. It was turned sideways to me, so I couldn't see it well. I think it said "deliver the message"? As in, the message of hope for those who choose to hear it, and a warning for those who do not?
I overheard the guy who was holding the sign as we were walking out. He seemed to indicate that its some reasonably obscure lyric from a Tool song. The guy was all done up with body paint. I can't be more specific than that, but thoguht I'd share.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlever View Post
The show was good but way to loud for the arena. I couldn't hear the lyrics.I didn't notice any mistakes but thats probably because the sound was so distorted. Isis sounded much clearer than Tool did. I was in section 124 row Y against the wall. I saw someone in front of me get busted with a cell phone out,it was probably you Stinkfyst. I got busted with my phone out too. I think security was way out of control. The jackass was to busy shining his flashlight in my face to notice that people were throwing glow sticks from the top deck.

For me the highlight was when everyone got their lighters out and the laser show was awesome too. I also thought it was cool that people were selling T-shirts on I-376 exit 2A. You don't see that everyday.

I would like to see Tool come to Post Gazette Pavillion next time they're in town(I saw NIN there in June,the sound was amazing compared to tonight) and mix some older songs in their set list.

In summary: Tool was good as always, Petersen Center sucks ass

Yeah that security guard seemed more than pissed about my cell being out. I heared they had more important matters to deal with though, like the people getting arrested for smoking or whatever it was. Great fucking night though.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

I should also say that the review I posted is based on my visual experience... to explain to those who couldn't be there - but know that the music was more than all of that combined. I LOVED the set list - it was for the most part, seamlessly tied together and they tore it up! I think that Wings/Days was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. Factor in Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned played previously, it was almost too much to handle. Their finale/encore of Lateralus, Vicarious and Ænima blew our minds. My siblings and I continuously gaped at each other, wide eyed and speechless, in utter reverence for this collective genius we've all loved for so long. Tool, thank you for the inspiration and the memories! Can't wait to hear you live again!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Yes, it said 'DELIVER THE MESSAGE'. We were about 3 rows back from that guy and my friend was cracking up at it because he doesn't know the lyrics to Rosetta Stoned.

this band changed my life
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrats51 View Post
I agree that the fans weren't as vigilant as they should have been. My sister and I kept screaming to get the fuck up! What is wrong with you??? When the band sat down together in the middle of the stage, I was sure they were mocking Pittsburgh fans and I was terrified that they would walk off and never come back. Fortunately, once I realized that they weren't encoring but playing out until the end, I assumed that was a much needed break. But will they come back? Maybe I need to start travelling to find others who simply CAN'T sit down!!!!
They weren't sitting to mock anyone.....they do it every show.......but i was at the columbus show, and it's not really fair to compare the two. The Columbus show was the loudest response from fans i've ever heard. I've been to tons of shows, and that night in columbus things just aligned right......it will be hard for that show to ever be matched. By the way...i was in the risers on the floor right of center...sitting behind the two biggest douchebags in the whole arena..one of them actually asked the guy in front of him if he was going to stand the whole show. r u kidding me?....he was on the floor and thoght that people were foing to sit. All that aside tool is the only band live that can initiate emotion the way they do....how cool was it that maynard walked to the front of the stage three different times?.....it's been a while since he left his little security blanket stage in the back.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

I just couldn't believe how many people were sitting down - that's what made me think that the guys were sitting to make a point. (I try not to read about other shows beforehand because I love the unknown! Didn't realize last night that this was par for their tour.) Sorry about the idiots in front of you - sounds like you had amazing seats!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

First Tool show.

Mindnumbingly amazing performance. Maynard seemed to be mostly over his sickness. The Pete isn't the best for a concert such as this, IMO, but it wasn't bad at all. The sound was a bit overpowering at certain times and bugged up a bit around where I was sitting (section 124, row R).

Setlist was really nice, wouldn't have complained if some Undertow was thrown in somewhere. My section smelled like weed for the first 40 or so minutes of the show.

I honestly didn't expect much from ISIS, but they impressed me. I liked the fact that you couldn't really tell what the guy was saying.

I noticed a lot of people sitting for Wings/10,000 Days. The whole "ligthers" thing was pretty amazing...a heartwarming moment. Maynard didn't seem to move an inch during this song, and Justin sat down.

Best night of my life. I'm hoping to somehow get together a few people and get my ass to the Wilkes-Barre show next Tuesday or whenever.

God help us if this band stops making music.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

well suppose it's time I put my two cents into the mix. I rarely post reviews for shows, think last one was Tool back in 2001/2002 or something. Also because my reviews aren't so much reviews as keen observations filled thoughtful insights and run on sentences. Anywho, this was my 10th time seeing them in the past 10 years. First was Agora in Cleveland way back when. So is that merit me for a prize? Perhaps a little gold star I can proudly sport, kind of like the ones you get at your job after working ten years. No? Damn.....it's ok I'll survive. Somehow, someway.

First on the agenda, Isis. I love them. Have been reading brief reviews for the whole tour and noone seems to mention them at all. Then again now that I think about it, noone really mentions any of the opening acts really though. Tool does an amazing job of getting openers though I must say, keep it up fellows. Isis played a good mix of stuff from a few of the records and sounded great as well. If you never seen Isis, missed them opening this show, I suggest next time they tour that you go see them. Mainly instrumental with little vocals but it's good. In fact it's great. Think of an apocalyptic ending where the earth splits in two, molting lava is spewing on the land and huge tidal waves are crashing along the shoreline devouring cities. That's Isis.

Now that leads me to my second agenda, Tool. As I said this is my 10th time seeing them and with every passing time they progress more and more. The one thing that really stood out at this show, compared to past, was the lack of visuals and backdrops. Now before anyone thinks of this as me beign negative, oh no my friend I think just the opposite. With the lack of a huge backdrop and huge screens behind the band, it brought more attention to them. You were more focused on the band this time then seeing what kind of crazy stuff was going on behind them or around them. I must admit though, I did watch the screen at times (Rosetta Stoned quite a bit) and come on....the laser stuff was pretty fucking sweet. As the lasers shot all around the arena I first thought it was very reminiscent of a Floyd show, then my second thought was what if one of the lasers got misguided and hit someone in the face? Would they become blind? Would the laser shot right through them and everyone else? Oh what could of been, but didn't. Questions that may never be answered, but will always remain a thought for me.

Now I had amazing seats (FLR 1, Row B, Seat 1) and Justin was about 10-12 feet from me, thus giving me the best view no doubt. What was even better was the two seats in front of me were empty. The people must of got to drunk, stoned or something I guess. Maybe while en route to the show a UFO flew over and zapped them up, lucky fuckers. That never happens to me dammit. Set up was the same, Adam stage left, Justin stage right, Maynard and Danny in the back. I enjoy that actually, doesn't put all the focus on one particular person or individual rather a whole. The setlist was great, not amazing but great. I'm not gonna be one of those people that bitch and moan about them not playing anything off Opiate or anything off Undertow, honestly I could care less if they do or don't. Like to see them play Hush though one of these days, hopefully before I die and/or I'm 60 and my balls are dangling down to my knees. Just one time guys, all I ask. Thanks in advance. So yes, the setlist has been pretty much the same, like every tour they do, but it flowed very well the entire set. Plus you got to think that in order to do the kind of stage set up and performance they do (visuals and all) that they kind of sort of have to do the same setlist. I mean it probally takes them a good time to get the videos and visuals set up, not like it's a next day sort of deal you know? Cool.

So what else? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think, oh yes highlights of the show. Well as I said, lasers were pretty sweet. Loved Wings of Marie/10,000 Days, made me think about my cat that died back in July (yeah yeah feel in cheesy, emo induced gesture here). Liked the faster part oh Schism, thought maybe a bunch of pyros might explode and they start playing Raining Blood or something. 46&2 and Lateralus are always pleasures to hear live to. Visuals, though I was on the floor and so close I couldn't see much, were awesome as usual (esp. Rosetta Stoned's).

So to now comes the conclusion to this review, if you want to even call it that. I've bored or enlightened or confused many of you now so I swear I'll keep this short. Thanks again for the band for putting on another epic journey both musically, conciously and spiritually for me. It was a wonderful ride and look foward to seeing them again. See. told you I'd keep it short.

Later.
Chris

*contact me if you'd like. IM dysthemia6669 or drop me a email.
"The Tree of Life has got to be learnt by heart; you must know it backwards, forwards, sideways, and upside down; it must become the automatic background of all your thinking. You must keep on hanging everything that comes your way upon its proper bough."[
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The show was awesome.. i didn't sit down at all.. I gave myself whiplash! HAHA! I loved every second of it and everone by me was singing and standing and going nuts.. I was in sec 107 on the risers! My ears are still ringing today! It was great to see everyone in their Tool shirts and sharing the weed.. Security bit ass! 2 beer limit.. HAHA! Greatest concert EVER! I was surprised how small the Petes was! Great LASERS! EMOTION! It was all to be savoured! The ATF shirt he put on at the end is on his puscifer site for sale....
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendawn777 View Post
As the lasers shot all around the arena I first thought it was very reminiscent of a Floyd show, then my second thought was what if one of the lasers got misguided and hit someone in the face? Would they become blind? Would the laser shot right through them and everyone else?
I don't think they were those kinds of lasers. I've seen those kind, that can burn through metal, at a science museum once, but these weren't it. I saw one pass through Justin a bunch of times, and he didn't get sliced in half.

I'm still in a state of amazement at the lasers. I've seen laser light shows before, but nothing nearly as intense and intricate as this.

And thanks to those who confirmed what the sign said. Obviously he couldn't deliver the message, because he forgot his pen. I wonder what it would take for a large group of people to all bring pens to the concert and toss them on stage during Rosetta. Security would probably freak out, and Tool might get pissed, but maybe would find it funny when they saw what it was.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

As long as no one clocked an instrument or band member with their pen, that would be funny! Years ago, at metropol, Danzig played with Soundgarden and COC and shoes were flying that night. One hit Glenn square in the face. My version of that story can be found in my blog (somewhere in the archives) if you give a shit...http://blog.myspace.com/organicgraphite
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I don't think they were those kinds of lasers. I've seen those kind, that can burn through metal, at a science museum once, but these weren't it. I saw one pass through Justin a bunch of times, and he didn't get sliced in half.
Yeah, typically the wattage of "light show" lasers is not significant enough to cause any damage unless you look directly at them; There are all sorts of safeguards taken in the mirror heads to disable the laser if the mirrors stop being able to move the beam. (noting however that what you perceive as being in one place usually isnt.) In the US, the practice of "Audience Scanning," where lasers sweep over the audience, is illegal. In Europe it's not, which is why nightclub light shows tend to be much more interesting on the other side of the pond. The concern is that if, by some extremely rare chance, a mirror head were to stop working, you might be able to blind someone.

That said, the danger, at the wattages like we saw last night, would almost exclusively be to your eyes. I'm sure the riggers and light show designers have had ample time to speak with the performers and grips about not looking at the lasers. You'll also remember that the lasers that scanned Justin were coming from behind him, while he was standing facing forward. It's all very well planned, somewhat regulated and safe.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

My first tool show, and i'm still gasping for air.. most amazing sight ive ever seen. Tool is the only band that has the power to move you like they can.

highlights of the show for me were... well everything

- the breakdown in stinkfist

-quiet part in jambi after guitar solo(shine on benevolent sun) where one yellow spotlight flashed as if it were the sun.. was sweet, good visuals as well

- drum entrance in the pot

-drum solo in 46and2

- rosetta stoned... simply amazing, breathakingly good, visuals were awesome

-fast part in schism was mind boggling.. the video was sweet too

-wings and 10000days almost made me cry, so moving, so amazing
when everyone had their lighters out, you could feel the emotion in the room
-lateralus is the greatest song.. my personal favorite/ highlight of the show for me

-vicarious kicked so much ass, place erupted

-PEEEEACE OUUUT..hey,hey,hey,hey,hey,hey
WAS AN AWESOME CLOSER!

all in all, the best show ive ever been to, cant wait to go again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

TylerT - You're right! You hit on so many little things that added intense dynamics to the show. Thanks for listing them!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

What an awesome show except for security and traffic on 376- We were in section 109 row F right against the rail eye level with the band- almost didnt make it in time to see tool because of the traffic jam going up the hill to the Pete- I was surprised at how small the place was after just having seen them in Cleveland monday night. Also I wasnt sure the seats would be good since they were beside the stage, turns out they were awesome. I swear Maynard made eye contact with me more than once. Loved the "hockey" joke lmao. I thought you could hear the lyrics way better on RS here than Cleveland. Hell i could hear all the lyrics perfect where i was. We saw Cammela Grace down on the side of the stage before the show i yelled at her and she waved that was kinda cool. Excellent show as i said except for security , everytime i took my phone out they were on me but i still got some cool pix. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7.../TOOLCLOSE.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...2001/TOOL4.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7.../TOOLLEAVE.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...2001/TOOL3.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...2001/TOOL7.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...2001/TOOL6.jpg
Cant wait for them to come back again- Thanks Adam Maynard Danny and Justin you are gods!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

First TOOL show I've ever been to, and hopefully not my last. It was seriously the best show I've seen in my life, and I didn't expect anything less than that.

My boyfriend and I were located in Section 124, row Q. We had perfect sight of the stage and could see everything, thank god. We weren't sure how good the seats were going to be, even though we saw an overview of the stadium on the Petersen Events Center website.

We were in the very front of the crowd to be let in the stadium. They separated males from females to be searched, and after I'd been searched, I made a remark to the girl behind me, something along the lines of.. "thank god that big burly dude didn't search us", and one of the security women replied with "You betta not have no fuckin' camera in ya pants, cuz if ya do, we'll be confiscatin' it!". Point being, my only gripe with the show was the Security. They were constantly around our area, because of the 3 guys smoking pot a row in front of us, but they weren't able to figure out where it was coming from. And who gives a shit if people had their cellphones out taking pictures? There weren't any flashes, so there weren't any disturbances to be made.

Now, onto the performance. I was really impressed with ISIS. I'd never seen them live before, and to be truthful, I'm not much of a fan other than listening to them once in a great while. I thought they sounded great. A lot of people around me seemed dumbfounded by them being a mostly instrumental band.

TOOL was everything I'd hoped they'd be live. Maynard, with his sarcastic remarks and all. As soon as I saw him walk out with his cowboy hat and boots, I almost lost it. I was hoping he would let loose on stage and dance around, which he did. The light show was incredible, and the backdrop with the images made everything complete.

The highlight of my night was when the band played 10,000 Days. It literally sent chills up my spine. The whole band was right on cue for that song. Another highlight was their last and final song, AEnema. The crowd went INSANE, especially my section and the section next to me, 123. I pretty much destroyed my voice for that song, trying my best to sing at the top of my lungs.

I'm still on a natural high from last night. It was utterly amazing in my opinion. I thought the stadium was a decent place for the show, even though it seemed to make the vocals echo a little bit. For the first two or three songs, Maynard was a bit difficult to hear, but from the middle to the end, I could hear perfectly.

Hopefully this won't be my last show, and I hope these guys continue to produce another few albums.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: