opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 03-08-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Is Tool Satanic?

Before I tackle that question, I'd just like to say that I'm fortunate to be a Tool fan because their music and style has opened up my mind and has made me think deeper than I ever thought I would. Strangely, I never get tired of any of Tool's songs. I don't really know why that is...perhaps because their songs open up a channel of thinking in my brain.

And has anyone besides myself, and my friend Ken experienced this: You're listening to Tool, and all of sudden, you have this very quick flash of insight, like you've just figured out all the mysteries of the universe, but then that flash goes away and you can't remember what you just think you've learned. And no, I've never done drugs, so no need to question that.

So on to the topic. I've read/heard other people, either in the media or elsewhere claim that Tool is an atheistic and satanic band, and even on the Tool website, Blair has alluded to that with sarcastic comments. But I can not believe it. To me, Tool opens up the truth in implicit ways. I don't think Tool is Godless.
But on the official Tool page under bios, they mention occultism and other "satanic" practices that have had an effect on their lives. I know no one on this forum is probably a religion major, but does anyone know where the Bible stands on occultism? I've wondered this for a while.

And good lord, Danny is a kick ass percussionist! I'm trying to be as good as him, but it's not quite working.

Sorry for not being structured. But isn't that the spice of life?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 8
occultism isn't satanism. anything that isn't in the bible is considered satanism by hardline christians. too bad the bible IS an occult resource. by the way, occult means hidden knowledge. if you think tool are satanists, looking at and reading alex grey's books will give you the answers to that thought.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Well, the thing is, I don't think that Tool is satanic or anything. Can you give me any links to Alex Grey's work?
Old 03-09-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
Old 03-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 4
tool are, how you say, sarcastic. they are fine purveyors of that art. If you were an artist and the mass media was totally misinterpreting your art in a way that was very funny to you, you'd probably make a joke out of it too....
whats satan anyway and why is he/she/it a bad thing? All there is is positive and negative....both are essential to the whole.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 89
I don't know if they're actually satanic or atheist or baptist or into the occult, but they certainly, above all else, are yanking chains and pushing buttons.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Is Tool Satanic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue47

And good lord, Danny is a kick ass percussionist! I'm trying to be as good as him, but it's not quite working.
Maybe he's so good because he sold his soul to the devil to gain skill...
Old 03-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue47

And has anyone besides myself, and my friend Ken experienced this: You're listening to Tool, and all of sudden, you have this very quick flash of insight, like you've just figured out all the mysteries of the universe, but then that flash goes away and you can't remember what you just think you've learned. And no, I've never done drugs, so no need to question that.

yes i have had this happen before. Maybe because i have found out what maynard is really trying to say. Not calling him some omniscient god or anything, but he has come to understand more than me.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:09 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

there is much more to tools music than what the bible's somewhat narrow view, or peoples use of it. not to discount entirely its worth, but there is a wealth of information outside of its source. and as to whether the band is atheistic, whether or not they are or not, is of no consequence because the music isnt. and by that im not prescribing them to a certain religion/philosophy but there are concepts which become apparent to even the most casual listener. just look up what 46&2 means.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:40 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Personally, Tool is so good at writing songs with 50K meanings, that they probably love the ambigious references to this, that and the other thing. Then, they sit back and chuckle as Toolophiles burn the midnight oil trying to figure out the EXACT connection between Maynard and (insert strange connection here)
Old 03-14-2003, 01:50 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Man, you're just like me. I've been playing most of my life, and I agree. Danny is awesome. He's got great chops but most of all, he plays to make the song better, which, to me, is the defining point in a good drummer. And also, I reached a whole new level of thinking when I began listening to Tool and studying their lyrics. And I also recognize the fact that the songs sound like what they mean. There are very few bands that can do that. And by the way, I don't do drugs either. And to answer the subject question, no I don't think that they are necessarily Satanic. I think that the world just labels them that way because they are different or just seem to oppose christianity. Now, if you were to talk to a pastor, he would tell you that anything that is not for God is satanic or for the devil. But from a worldly view, I think that it would be going too far to label them satanic. But honestly, have you ever read the words to Eulogy, and then read H., which is right after that? It seems as though the two songs almost contradict each other. Eulogy talks about how Jesus was a fool and then H. seems to say that Jesus has a hold on him and that he draws him back after every time that he backslides. Also, I read somewhere that Maynard was raised in a baptist church, so, I don't know.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 11
Tool is to smart to be satanic

Old 03-24-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

flashes of insight

FINALLY. I get those now and then, sometimes listening to tool, and I really didn't know how to describe it, but i guess thats a good way of putting it. I'm not sure what happens (as in chemically, in your brain) but it's a great feeling. I just thing maynard is an amazing lyrisist to be able to coax out those weird flashes.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:10 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

tool is satanic and occult

i believe that tool and most of all danny are inwolved with satanism and occult things. read one of dannys favourite books of crowley or kenneth grant. the original true thing of satanism and occultism has nothing to do with a devil or a god, a heaven or a hell. it's all about yourselve. all about the left hand path ("Varma Marg") . "i'am god". like shown in the booklet of lateralus, where god is written inside the brain of this alex grey designet guy. god is inside you. destroy your ege before it's far too late.

"I am my own God
See the truth beyond
Through endless lies thy kingdom come
Glorified wisdom illumination tool
Self deceit it's the golden rule"
Old 03-27-2003, 08:37 AM   #15
Banned.

tool are not satanists, alex grey is not a satanist, crowley is not a satanist, kenneth grant is not a satanist and occult means hidden knowledge. the left hand path is the practice of white magick, the middle is grey magick, and the right hand is black magick. magick does not equal satanism.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 51
some people are dumbfounded dipshits

i dont understand why people think that tool is "satanic" .
i think that is just rediculous. people who say that oviously dont lesten to tool
Old 03-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Eulogy?

Joster15, I agree with in everything except for one thing. I have heard that Eulogy is not about Jesus, but about some guy in the 80's or something. I know the information is on this site's FAQ, so you can check it out there. But I don't think that it's about Jesus. That's just what Tool wants everyone to think.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:08 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by George Bush Sr.
tool are not satanists, alex grey is not a satanist, crowley is not a satanist, kenneth grant is not a satanist and occult means hidden knowledge. the left hand path is the practice of white magick, the middle is grey magick, and the right hand is black magick. magick does not equal satanism.
You got your left and right hand paths mixed there methinks.

But in any case, anyone who has a large collection of Crolwey first edition books is probably a hardcore thelemite. That'd by my guess about Carey.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:04 PM   #19
Banned.

i noticed that but i didn't think anyone would read it
Old 03-31-2003, 06:11 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

hey,

This is my first time posting on this forum, but I followed Tool since there 1st album.

As many know Tool is very heavily into occult/egyptian knowledge and secret societies. I think some members of Tool are a bit more consumed with these interests than others but they are definetly not satanic. Atleast not satanic as the average Joe sixpack percieves them. Satanist aren't all that there made out to be by the public. Read any literature on satanists and you will realize that this is more of a stereotype that the roman catholic church labels its opponents.

But if any of you listeners are willing to understand the deeper meanings of the Aenema and Lateralus albums I would recommend reading some books on the esoteric and occult (hidden knowledge). Any books dealing with the O.T.O. , Aleister Crowley, Jack Parson, and the Thule society ( hehe Thule - blacksun society) will be frightening enlightning.

And for a real quick read:
on time traveling/occult/egyptian/tibetan cultures and aliens I highly recommend readin The Montauk Project series of books written by Nicholas Preston and Peter Moon.
Some of the stuff you need to take with a bt of grain and salt , but its a mostly entertaining read that will quickly make you up to date on Tool matters.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27
Everyone assumes Tool to be evil, but that is simply not the case. I recall Maynard saying in an interview "People just assume we're hateful and don't understand that hate and anger are two completely separate energies. They might have a similar emotional charge to them, but anger is much more constructive than hate, and that's what we're about, the anger. Not all our music, just that particular element that people see in it. The agressive nature, the angry and emotional nature of it...in conjunction with the more compassionate there's a lot of light in our music, a lot of light at the end of the tunnel, but of course you have to make an effort to incourage yourself to purge yourself to get through the muck to get through the tunnel."

Last edited by nate; 04-06-2003 at 02:30 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Crowley sought to turn the world upside down and shake it up. To follow his logic why call a shadow the negative of light when the opposite could equally be true? Why is sex with young boys dictated to us to be evil? why do we let society tell us how we should live? Everyone should be free to do as they please!
Well all that is so very liberating in its rejection of societies rules, and just the kind of open minded dribble most teens are seeking to identifty with in their rebelious stages but when your 9 year old sister is lured away and sodomised by just one such cultish liberal group the truth about why certain things are considered evil becomes very apparent to you.
Dont be so damn eager to cluth at the first thing offered to you in your rejection of religion and authority.

You may identify with what various cultish groups are rejecting but actually take a look at what they are offering? Is it actually positive or just stroking your torn emotions and fanning the darker flame inside you? Oh yes you feel so deep.. but do you really know where your going?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

I went through a satanic stage, still developing my ideas. Are we talking about LaVayan Satanism? If so, I recomend you read it before thinking wether or not Tool are satanic or not. And remember, like Tool, satanism needs open minds.

The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey has a lot of interesting ideas, and completly made me think in a different world. The only problem is that it can be pevcieved to be very shallow, because it rejects all ideas that cant be scientificly proven, including spiritual worlds, meditation, and in effect is completely hedonistic. Apart from that it is a very honarable, and very intelligent religion.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #24
On Probation

Bincount™: 2

I wonder: do people ever consider that the members of Tool might have different opinions and worldviews.

But based on the nards lyrics, I think he is an existentialist with a heavy interest in world religions.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catatuna View Post
I wonder: do people ever consider that the members of Tool might have different opinions and worldviews.

But based on the nards lyrics, I think he is an existentialist with a heavy interest in world religions.
What? Like the Justice League?

Yeah I remember reading that Danny's into the Occult,magik ect, Adams image sometimes seems to be like a arty hippy. All DMT and paintbrushes. I cant remember about Maynard or Justins though.

Is it Maynard that writes the lyrics? I've never heard a statement that confirms that.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
Banned.

Bincount™: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Everyone assumes Tool to be evil, but that is simply not the case. I recall Maynard saying in an interview "People just assume we're hateful and don't understand that hate and anger are two completely separate energies. They might have a similar emotional charge to them, but anger is much more constructive than hate, and that's what we're about, the anger. Not all our music, just that particular element that people see in it. The agressive nature, the angry and emotional nature of it...in conjunction with the more compassionate there's a lot of light in our music, a lot of light at the end of the tunnel, but of course you have to make an effort to incourage yourself to purge yourself to get through the muck to get through the tunnel."
I am in agreeance with you nate.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pit View Post
What? Like the Justice League?

Yeah I remember reading that Danny's into the Occult,magik ect, Adams image sometimes seems to be like a arty hippy. All DMT and paintbrushes. I cant remember about Maynard or Justins though.

Is it Maynard that writes the lyrics? I've never heard a statement that confirms that.
lol, like the Justice League (I'm laughing with you on this one.

But yes, Maynard does write all the lyrics for Tool.

With the exception of the excerpt from Henry Rollins in Bottom
Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #28
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

What bothers me is somebody who's bumping a 6 year old thread with his one and only post.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

You know, nevermind.

Last edited by Roopey; 09-12-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #30
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

tool drinks kitten blood.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #31
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no, they're not satanic.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

The first time I heard Tool, especially the Lost Keys, I got goosebumps. There was pressure in my ears and it felt like I got stuck in a black hole. I was alone at home. It was night and I was in front of our door. I closed my eyes when I listened to the song, afraid of seeing something ethereal (?) or weird at the other side of the door. Hahaha. I don't know if they are satanic, but I like the way they give that feeling like I'm on my way to somewhere. I was in the middle of the long high way crossing somewhere like the Grand Canyon, and I saw a static line between the ground and the sky, a lightning bolt. I was pulled towards the light and I could feel my eyes froze, my pupils turning white.

But here is what I think. First, ask them if they are satanists and who/what inspired their works. If they say no, ok, they're not satanic. Second, do not judge the Bible if you haven't read them.

Saying something against something/someone without even completely examining it is so stupid, so unintelligent.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

i believe there is no such thing as godless. No matter what one says, he can't deny he has a god.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #34
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

i don't have a god.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #35
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

SATAAAAANNNNnnnn!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #36
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
SATAAAAANNNNnnnn!!!!!
Hi Inner, it's been awhile.

Good post, btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
i don't have a god.
Try Wal-Mart

Last edited by Rolo; 03-29-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Hi Inner, it's been awhile.

Good post, btw

Try Wal-Mart
wonderful post btw
Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #38
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

more like "mock-satanic"
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: some people are dumbfounded dipshits

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingEye View Post
i dont understand why people think that tool is "satanic" .
i think that is just rediculous. people who say that oviously dont lesten to tool
agreed with FlamingEye
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

lets see Adam is Satan, Maynard is the Antichrist, Danny is the devil, and Justin is the prince of darkness.

And they are all here to take us to hell, where we are roasted like hot dogs over hot lava, have our skin pealed off like a banana, have our heads split open like coconuts, and our brains scooped out and turned into peanut-butter and brains jelly sandwiches.

Mmmmm kind of make me hungry ......
All assertions to a phenomenon are projected, and are the result of the mind stream projecting them. All phenomenon are of a relative nature, there for all phenomenon are subjective. All phenomenon Inherently contain their own contradiction, therefore All phenomenon are Empty and void of inherent assertions.

Last edited by Sleeper0013; 06-09-2011 at 01:38 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: