opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: upcoming record poll
by 2009? 6 13.95%
last record? 9 20.93%
10k days and forward to unknown unforeseeable new sound? 26 60.47%
back to raw aenima, undertow, edgy feel? 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
upcoming record poll

I read that mjk said tool will start work on new album immediately. do you guys think we will see this record by end of 2009? do you think this may be their last one before 'hanging up' their les pauls, wals, drum sticks, and megaphones for good? what direction do ya think they may go with this next one...expanding on 10k days with a kind of soundscape, painting with sounds feel or harken back to the lateralus, aenima bottril feel with epic hard edged songs? ( I fucked up poll option and forgot to make multiple choices available...please just answer questions in a post ( if you want to answer them at all...but I would appreciate your opinions)

Last edited by will see you auntie; 03-17-2008 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: poll needs multi choice option
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336
Re: upcoming record poll

It'd be nice to see something weird by 2009, but, deep in the heart, I want to see something a bit more raw and brutal, and maybe with slightly more epic guitar solos -- think Adam performing "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. II" somewhere in the middle of "Eulogy" or something.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Banned.

Whatever they come up with, as long as it's from the heart, I'll love it. 10k days was an album that was disliked a lot bc it shattered expectations. I remember listening to it thinking, "wtf is this, it's gotta be the b-sides or sumpin. then again, they do sound as if they're loosening up. and that's good." The pot and it's 4/4 time sig, 10k days and its poignant, personal lyrics; it just all felt like they said, "fuck it, let's jam." And that is (almost) never a bad thing. Not in this case.

Now that they have that experience of not taking themselves too seriously, and at the same time having the experience of taking themselves seriously (lat comes to mind here), im sure the next album will be fucking awesome. A surprise of sorts.

Also, MJK, I believe, has changed as a person. He's much more public now, and less of an asshole. That will show, too.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

I dont know, heard hes touring with Pusicfer. I would hope that Tool will release a new alubm within the next 2-3 years. Im still hooked on 10k days...but im praying for more. In the mean time ill just jam out to the classic albums and sip on some caduceus wine with my dad.
cheers
ps: they're music is always from the heart taxi and i agree with you that MJK is becoming more public...but i dont want my tool becoming tainted by these typical "metal head" wannabes.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

The new album will purposely have a direction or sound that we aren't supposed to be expecting. One of the top priorities for tool is to open minds to new things, and they will always look to disturb and/or confuse you with each album until you finally see the big picture they are trying so bad to paint. Not saying I like this formula, but this is DEFINITELY what they do.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

I don't really expect a new Tool album release before 2010 or maybe even 2011. Maynard seems to be too busy harvesting from both Merkin vineyards but also from his commercial vehicle called Puscifer right now. And the term "starting to work on a new album right now" is still a long way towards a new release anyway.

I also keep in mind this COULD actually be their final album. They've reached a certain level right now that i find hard to believe that they can maintain very long. From what i read about it, 10K recieved good critics but not as overwhelming as with Ænema or Lateralus. And i strongly believe they will not allow Tool to become a pathetic reflection of it's glorydays. So i think the'd rather pull the plug than go on and on until no-one really gives a damn about this band called Tool which was once known for making terrific music way back...

I'm not trying to be a pessimist. I really hope to enjoy Tool's great music for a long time. I'm just trying to be realistic. Tool is not eternal....
Old 04-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

I don't this is the end of Tool. Maynard doesn't seem to be one who gives a shit what critics say--he is in this for the love of music, and as long as his fans are happy (I am!) than I know that they will keep on pumping out albums... of course at a less than methodical pace.

Its funny that most people look disgracefully at 10,000 days, but out of alot of Tool fans that I've talked too, it was The Pot that caught their ear off the radio and then the rest of the album which dragged them into Maynard's bizarre creation. After that they bought the back catalogs and became avid Tool fans...

The Tool audience is growing rather than dwindling and any new album will probably grow their audience to a greater abundance regardless of what stuck up critics think about the music. And as for the topic question, we won't see a new Tool album till 2010 I think.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

i would like to hear an album full with songs like intention, disposition, reflection and things like that...but I guess that won`t happen...
Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimos View Post
ps: they're music is always from the heart taxi and i agree with you that MJK is becoming more public...but i dont want my tool becoming tainted by these typical "metal head" wannabes.
too late

I went yesterday to a music festival and I saw many morons with their tool tshirts all over the place. Tool is more pop now than madonna or justin
Old 04-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
Tool is more pop now than madonna or justin
Impossible.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
Banned.

Ok, Ok... I guess it's more like they're about the same.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Jedi Master

K, i'll buy that ;)
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Banned.

4° MIN
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

I hope it's not but i've got a feeling the next Tool album will be their last.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

I don't see why people assume that. Most people that do say it's because of their ages... well did you guys listen to Puscifer? It was an old man calling himself a "Wigger" and the album just contained nonsensical immaturity--which probably made the album. If he is doing that sort of music at his age, why would he not want to do the spiritual, reflective band that is Tool?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
I don't see why people assume that. Most people that do say it's because of their ages... well did you guys listen to Puscifer? It was an old man calling himself a "Wigger" and the album just contained nonsensical immaturity--which probably made the album. If he is doing that sort of music at his age, why would he not want to do the spiritual, reflective band that is Tool?
I don't think any of the wigger-stuff is serious.....

Maynard uses Puscifer to be totally irresponsible. Tool vs. Puscifer is his Yin & Yang.

Just as this. There's no puzzle in this ;)
Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
i would like to hear an album full with songs like intention, disposition, reflection and things like that...but I guess that won`t happen...
That would be nice...what if they just switched things up and decided to release a few EPs, each experimenting with a different direction?
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvak View Post
That would be nice...what if they just switched things up and decided to release a few EPs, each experimenting with a different direction?
:) great idea!!! but that will also probably not happen :/
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #19
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

in the revolver tribute mag, danny said that they have saved all shit load of analog tape for future projects in a air conditioned controlled vault. they wouldn't go to that much trouble if they weren't going to make more albums.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #20
Banned.

like I said, they're just getting started.

Hopefully they'll jump into the internet bandwagon as well... though i doobt it: MJK is a dumbass.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylleb View Post
in the revolver tribute mag, danny said that they have saved all shit load of analog tape for future projects in a air conditioned controlled vault. they wouldn't go to that much trouble if they weren't going to make more albums.
damn! I`d like to have those tapes....:) they should make a wild session-jam-freak-out-album (like the last "song" from the second mars volta-album), one album with songs like intention (as I already said) a metal album and one full of bullshit...("I smell pee"----> songs like harry manback and l.a.m.c .) :)
and I also think they`re just gettin started because lateralus and 10,000days were the first album under new label-conditions- now they may not have as much stress with other things and can wholly concentrate on the music O_O

Last edited by dancingflame; 05-09-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
:) great idea!!! but that will also probably not happen :/
Someone should do it though, or something similar. Trent Reznor had a great concept with Ghosts.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Trent recently released "The Slip" for internet download as well. It would be wonderful if more bands followed suit, especially Tool.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yeah, The Slip was a good idea too, and pretty much a necessity as it was free, but I was mainly referring to going beyond the concept of the traditional album, like Ghosts.
--Mitch Hedberg

-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylleb View Post
danny said that they have saved all shit load of analog tape for future projects in a air conditioned controlled vault.
A shit load of material doesn't necessarily mean it's any good, now does it?
Maybe loads of shit is more appropriate. Quantiy is not quality.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 42

I don't see any reason for them to stop anytime soon, all healthy and at the top of their game. MJK's definitely not showing signs of slowing. As far as material, the opiate thru Aenema days are probably not going to be repeated all over again. 10K days is probably closest to whats to come, with some subtle changes musically and most likely whole new direction lyrically.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #27
Jedi Master

Yeah, last thing i heard they're heavily influenced by Robbie Williams now
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Watch. It'll come out 12/21/2012. Hahaha.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

naw 11/11/2011 sounds more like it
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

10/10/2010 sounds better to me, haha!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_advokate View Post
10/10/2010 sounds better to me, haha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerom17 View Post
naw 11/11/2011 sounds more like it
You guys obviously didn't get my Mayan Calendar / End of the World reference. >_>
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #32
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

nah we did
Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #33
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasazonator View Post
You guys obviously didn't get my Mayan Calendar / End of the World reference. >_>
Why do you keep doing these? This isn't an anime forum.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
Why do you keep doing these? This isn't an anime forum.
I didn't know posting that was overused. I'm somewhat new to the Tool Opinion forums. And kind of new to the whole 2012 thing.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #35
Jedi Master

Hold on for three more years. Then it is definately over.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Please move past it quickly, the entire 2012 concept has gotten older than dirt, and then older than older than dirt, and everyone pretty much hates it here now.
Yes sir!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: