opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/10 - Paris, FRA - Le Zenith

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ćnema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/10 - Paris, FRA - Le Zenith

Stinkfist
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta stoned
Swamp song
---------------
Wings I & II
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Better than ever!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Here's the Setlist:

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ćnema

Maynard wore his gas-mask, he made a variant of his joke:"I have a good and a bad news" "the good news is there is no bad news!" lol

The show was just great, I found it much better than in june, with the lasers and the new visuals. The band seemed in a good mood, and I found that the crowd was amazing. And now I got the monster 10KDays poster which is pretty cool :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

I was 2nd row in front of Adam & yeah it was a *great* show : after AEnima the guys looked totally elated : big grin on their face, not wanting to leave the stage to keep that magic moment.... Well you get the idea. Imho the show was a slow-starter, the band looked kinda tired and the 1st 3 or 4 songs (slightly) lacked brillance. But once they got on the right trax, whew...
I saw 'em in 1997 (at the tiny Elysées-Montmartre) saw them again in June of this year & I can say tonite was the best. And we got TWO opening bands Mastodon & what I think I recognized as Seether (correct me if I'm wrong), so we got 3h30 of rock.
I dedicate this "review" to the 2 brainless bitches ("grosses connasses" en Français) who kept "dancing" on the 1st songs (like those were 4/4 songs) and who kept bumping into me. They disappeared with "Rosetta Stoned", hopefully they got stomped to death...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

second shox with tool this year. and that was so much better than in june. great visuals, great sound. the band was in a good mood. MJK was not talkative but he was groovy on stage!
swamp song amazed me because it's not one of my favorite's but a live performance makes the difference and it sounded powerful.
wings I & II were both incredible like the whole show.
a great night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

After a good night sleep I'd like to add this: this show was like seeing "someone" (in fact 4 people) slowly creating a painting. "Wings pt.1&2" were the apex of the creation. It was THAT beautiful. Too bad recording devices were banned cos I'd love to have a tape of this night.
Come back soon & I'll shell out another 35 € easily :-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

I totally forgot about June's concert, they were awesome, this night was awesome....I'll be there next summer for sure !
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

A word about the opening acts : Mastodon was hilarious. They have the complete package (big amps big guitars big beards big muscles big tattoos & 120 dBs) but you just cannot take them seriously since they are far too much Spinal Tap-ish (great drummer though). And the 1st opener was Senser of course (I had recognized Heitham Al-Sayed from the June show where he played "Opiate" with Maynard). Not an easy task for them (they played to a half-empty place on a tiny part of the stage) but they did pretty good. Now I know why Tool like their "mix-your-(post?)rock-with-oriental-flavors" music...
Still don't know why both Paris shows were spiced-up with extras but thank you Tool for that... and see you in 2007 (not in a festival setting though...)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

This was my first ever Tool gig.A moment me and my wife waited for 5 years.Finally it came and it was more than i could ever have expected.Bought the tickets 4 months ago and waited....

The concert was trully magical!They played for 2 hours straight and they looked they were enjoying their time on stage.I know we did!!!The setlist was solid, and the visual....the visuals....simply stunning!

Best part is that we get to see them again on Saturday in Athens!How great is that?
Two more hours with the greatest band in the world....
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

"Putain la claque" that would be the french expression remaining after this show. I saw Tool at the Rock Am Ring Festival this summer, but as i thought at that tilme, tool is made for concert halls and not open stages. Was i right? 3 words for the paris show: enormous, surrealistic and unforgettable. Perfect sound, perfect lightshow, perfect mood. What more? Ok, there were some assholes in the audience, especially a brainless guy crying stupind things during "wings for marie". Anyway, this show has just climbed in the top 5 in my personnal "pantheon" of great shows that i have attended. Songs like Stinkfist, Lateralus, Aenima and Wings for Marie are written in my mind until the day i die. The large stage allowed the band to use all their light and imagery stuff. Keenan standing in front of the large screens diffusing psychedelic and weird videos was like a moon in the universe, illuminated by the lightshow surrounded by a wonderful world what the human eye cannot understand. The kind of magical moment you won't attend a lot of times in your life. Hope you didn't miss that, because I got some bad news for you, this was a fucking piece of history!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Very good show, nice lights, good sound, a journey into bliss.
I had missed june's show in Paris, (sold out), but Tool fans say this one was better, I'm not sad anymore. I had seen them In 1997 too, what an evolution ! Keep on going like that guys.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

excellent show. Was 3-4 people back from the rail in front of justin, nicely done. Crowd was kinda tame from where I was. Usual set, usual show, Maynard pulled out of most trying vocal bits -understandable though seeing as its one of the last shows this tour. Could any body see danny in one of the interludes talking into a microphone>? I'm pretty sure it gets fed into the sounds he was triggering, cant remember between which songs though. Heaps of joking going on between Danny and Justin -Danny stole it though when he stopped mid way through a song(cant remember which) stood up checked his symbals, funny shit.
Then at the end of the show maynard looked pretty happy holding up a finger count of 3 -3 more shows this tour- , must be gettin tired.

Wembley was slightly better gotta say.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Bonjour, et voici le set list:

Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
SWAMP SONG!!!!!
---- intermission - out come the lighters! ---
Wings / 10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

Maynard avec le Gas Mask, mais sans la chemise orange.
(that's as far as my French goes - sorry!)

Tried to post review from our hotel in Paris last night, in an attempt to be the first, but by the time I'd figured out how the French keyboard worked my 4 Euros credit had run out - grrrrr!!! :-(

Anyway now back home after a wonderful weekend and the perfect finale to my Tool travels. Liked Le Zenith as a venue - nice size, non smoking (unlike most of Paris!) and I liked the unreserved seating / standing arrangement. Having done the "down the front" thing at previous gigs (and as I was nursing a slight cold) my other half and I opted for seats towards the front of the centre section and just to sit back and enjoy the whole spectacle ... good choice as we had a perfect view of the lasers, projections etc without being too far away from the band themselves.

We were treated to an extra support band, can't recall their name (sorry) but they were pretty good and rocking. Great comedy moment when the singer addressed the audience thus: "Bonjour! Ca va?...." *pause* ..."CA VA OR WHAT, F*CK*ERS???".
Mastodon were excellent again and the sound was a little better than in Nottingham, although at times it was hard to hear both guitars, which is a shame. I look forward to the chance to see them as headliners in their own right some time soon!

As for Tool, well what can I say, they played an amazing set as always and it was a great surprise to be treated to 46&2 AND Swamp Song! Making it a different set each time I've seen them now this year. "Wings / 10,000 Days" and "Lateralus" still the high points and it was the most emotional gig yet for me; in equal parts because it was the last time of the current leg (after Glasgow and Nottingham), and because it was the perfect ending to a perfect weekend in Paris with my bf - the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and Tool in one day, life just doesn't get much better than that! Even the weather was great for December. First time I've ever travelled abroad to see a band, but I suspect it won't be the last, if the "see you next summer!" promises come to fruition ;-)

All in all these last few Tool gigs have been visually and musicalythe most stunning I've ever experienced since seeing Pink Floyd doing The Wall (when I was a mere slip of a thing - showing me age now!!) and it was great to get the chance to see the whole thing from 3 different persepectives - RIGHT down the front in Glasgow; a bit further back in Nottingham, and sitting back and chilling in Paris.

Au Revoir till next time x
Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

i am asking myself how the F$@?K is it possible to remain seated during a tool show... i think even christopher reeve would have stand in front of the scene... may he rest in peace...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

I am in an anti-climax today here in the f**cking office, gggrrr and have trouble keeping from crying as this was my last TOOL show. It was a wonderful weekend for me too JAMBI'S MUM.
I sure will be there, where Maynard and guys are in the summer !
The Paris concert was the 2nd best, for me, Oberhausen was the ultimate. Maybe because I heard them performe that oh so beautiful and emotional Wings Pt. I-II for the very first time. But for the rest, it was again so unreal, fantastic, thrilling, out of this world. I just cant express my feelings in words.....
I wished I had enough money to go and see those talented artists in NZ and Down Under. ;-)
Thank you so much Maynard, Adam, Justin and Danny for the ultimate music experience you gave me xxx
(I also want to thank Todd and Armando, for being such a friendly but also professional team !)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemo View Post
And the 1st opener was Senser of course (I had recognized Heitham Al-Sayed from the June show where he played "Opiate" with Maynard).
Senser??? Plus Tool???
Man that would be one of my dreams of a mega Concert falling right into place.
Wow!!!! ;-)
Well only 24 hours more and i will go to Zürich!!!! ;-)

But you where lucky about Senser!!! ;-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Best TOOL show for this year ...

MJK was not ill at all ... full voice power ... gas mask ... big energy on stage ...
Same setlist as ever ... don't understant that ...

Why do they never play ... THIRD EYE ... best song of the band for me :)

Thanx and hope to see them as soon as possible .... probably next summer as MJK told us at the end of the show
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy57 View Post
I am in an anti-climax today here in the f**cking office, gggrrr and have trouble keeping from crying as this was my last TOOL show. It was a wonderful weekend for me too JAMBI'S MUM.
I know the feeling - plus the cold I've been keeping at bay for the last 3 days (probably by sheer adrenalin) has seriously kicked in so I've now lost my voice completely :-( Ach well have some amazing memories - just wish I could afford NZ / Oz / Japan...!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:45 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

I went to Paris with 11 other guys, most of them from Norway.

I was inside Le Zenith between 20.20-20.30 and i did not experience Senser. Did Senser played for 20 min????

Thanks to Maynard, Justin, Adam and Danny for an amazing show!

Hope to see you in Norway in the summer time, hopefully inside, not at a festival.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

4th show (93, 01, 06, 06). Saw them in July, but had to go again to experience "Wings for Marie"... Need to go again in 07 in order to get a chance to hear "Right in two", which imo is the best track on 10KD. Hope they they visit the outpost of Norway (one of the most "tool addicted" countries, compared to number of citizens) next time. Though a Tool concert is a nice excuse to go to Paris for a weekend... I reckon there was at least 30 norwegians in the audience.

Great to hear Swamp Song again. Wings was simply amazing. Had my wife with me, so we chose the seating area, almost at the back. This was not a good position. The distance to the band was visually too big. The sound was not optimal back there either. And sitting in general doesn't unite very well with attending a tool show. But the laser view was perfect! Here is a cell phone picture taken during Ćnima.

http://tool.kvalitet.no/images/Bilde051.jpg

Last edited by e.u.p.h.o.r.i.a; 12-13-2006 at 02:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:50 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

What a great experience. All you can call a night like that is an Experience.
I also saw Tool this summer at Rock am Ring, was a strong set then, but not as personal as the Paris Show. I sat about 10 rows behind the sound board center stage. This allowed me and my girlfriend to enjoy the whole stage from a great perspective, which is not possible at a festival.
It all started when we left our hotel at 6ish to take the metro to le Zenith. We then strolled through the St Germaine district for dinner. With beer and wine in hand, we made our way to le Zenith a tad bit early. It was cold once the sun had gone down so we didn’t waste much time outside the arena. After tight security and loud French announcements about No Smoking and flash photography, we entered the venue to hear more loud French nonsense from the beer vendors. Next we headed to the T-shirt and Merch stand. Not to my surprise, but nothing was less than 30 euros. Got shirts for the both of us then made our way to the seats that I described previously.
Mastodon, can you call that music, it was more like a heap of random styles and noise, which was extremely bass heavy. The other opening band was good, had a Sabbath sound. I enjoyed their small set. Then came the moment we all been waiting for. TOOL!!!!
The set list is correct and I couldn’t have asked for it any other way. The Pot, would have been the only request that I could have made. Was able to enjoy everything with my Nora, and still had time to take a few unwanted pictures. Sorry “guys” but I have short term memory loss so I need the pictures to remember what I did and saw. That is a good excuse right??
They played for a little less than 2 hours but it was just right. MJK seemed to be in good spirits and the rest of the band looked like they were having fun as well. He said about five or six lines during the whole set. The sound was great. There were some iffy spots during Rosetta. Overall though spot on. The good news bad news made me chuckle. The intermission was cool. Neat to see the band just chillen, and Justin with his lighters. What a moment. Wings and 10KDays were phenomenal. Can you say cum in your pants good? Yeah that sums it up well. I don’t know how they are going to top this show. I can’t wait to see them in the summer. Let me know as soon as you know dates and locations. I’m there, I’m addicted. Check out Flickr new shots for you short term memory loss.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter14 View Post
does anyone got some pics from the show?????
please give a link!!!!!
Check Out Flicker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53945372@N00/
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 05:31 AM   #23
Useful Idiot

7th show this year, and number 11 in total. Finally, FINALLY I got to hear Wings / 10.000 days! This show had the best sound quality, but overall the band was less tight than earlier this year.

I guess this year's order would be

11/10/06 Brussels
07/01/06 Roskilde festival (as good as Brussels )
12/10/06 Paris
06/04/06 Pinkpop festival
05/24/06 Luxemburg
06/27/06 Amsterdam
11/09/06 Rotterdam
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

It's been 2 nights since the end of the concert and I'm still in the mood of the show. This is very weird. I'm actually thinking that their music is definitly more spiritual that it might seems. I saw them for the first time at the Werchter festival and the experience was so unique that I decided to enter in the their world. Even Anthony Kiedis, told how TOOL was a great band when they came on stage later during the festival.
I definitly wanted to hear Wings for Marie I & II... I haven't been disapointed, it was the most intense moment of the show.

I actually managed to take some pictures during the show ( and some video clips ).
http://kostia.deldo.free.fr/pages/tool.htm
http://kostia.deldo.free.fr/videos/Tool/

I really liked when Maynard asked his drummer Danny if everything was ok... All the music just stopped, the mascarade was over for a few second and I had the feeling that this show, as sophisticated as it might seemed, was very human.

Last edited by enovox; 12-13-2006 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: mispells
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

I actually managed to take some pictures during the show ( and some video clips ).
http://kostia.deldo.free.fr/pages/tool.htm
http://kostia.deldo.free.fr/videos/Tool/

Great, great, great !!!
Oh my, oh my !!!
What shall we live in saturday!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 02:18 AM   #26
TDM
Level 1 - Lurker

i know maybe it's late to post a review, but i have to cause since sunday i'm still in the mood of the show, i still have sounds and sights of this tool show in my head...so i feel like i need to write something,

so it was my first too show, and it was simply the best show i never saw (i did a lot of) i still can't believe what i lived on sunday, it was incredible, amazing !!!!

i have to thank all the band for this performance....

i have no words to express what i feel...

(sorry for my english, i'm french lol)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

5th show opf the year for me, and sorry guys, but I have to say I found the guys rahter tired. Especially Adam who made more than a few mistakes... Maynard too wasn't in a great shape.
Some songs were played too slow (Rosetta stoned almost like in slow motion - what a difference with the Brussels show when Maynard was in an olympic mood, his legs in the air singing on his back... wonderful).
Except for that, good show once again (even if not memorable) and one truly magical moment : Wings for Marie ! My hair is still dressed up. Finally we got to hear it and these 15 minutes were all worth the ticket !
Visual even better now than last month.
Too bad the setlist is too rigid. Maybe I we shouldn't have seen them so many times...
I'm not sure I'm gonna look for them during the summer if they play at a festival. The band is much better in a closed place (by the way, the Zenith is really a great venue).

P.S. : once again the security guys are a real nuisance. STOP the flashlights, who cares if someone smokes or takes a picture (the guy wears a mask remember ?)
Apparently this comes from the band's wish ! C'mon guys, you've always tried not to be rockstars, don't act like one ! Anyway you're the best !
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: