opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 10. Disposition
User Name
Password
Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 158
whats happening in the world.

Sometimes when i sit down with a spliff giving this song a listen i get so fucking sad thinking about whats happening troughout the world lately and all the natural disasters happening. Then i start pondering about what the future holds for all of us and it nearly brings me to tears thinking what the next generation of corperate slaves are going to endure. Maynard has a way of making you think for yourself by using a few simple lines like "watch the weather change". and i love him for it but sometime's i cant listen to tool even tho they are my favourate band off all time cause it just gets way too much for the head. Does anyone else feel the same?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
the crybaby

Bincount™: 1562
Re: whats happening in the world.

Not really.

-OftenLost
Old 03-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 158

not really to what? All of it? Every one has there own opionans i suppose
Old 03-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

I for one hear ya DS. But I put it all aside and started focusing on what I could do for myself. If I do for myself what I can, I am therefore fulfilling my obligation to humanity.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

I think this interpretation is right on. I listened to this song during my first Salvia trip recently. I realized I was connected to 'mother earth' like some sort of root system. I felt her love but then I felt the darkness that is spreading throught the earth. It was crying out to me. At that moment I solved the moral conflict that I've had with pursuing poker as a career. I now had a purpose for doing so. That very night I won a qualifier for a World Series sattellite. In march I'll have to beat 19 others in order to win the free 10,000 dollar buy-in. I think that will be the hard part because the structure of the WSOP will allow me to do very well I believe. So wish me luck and maybe I'll find a creative way to make a big influence on the restoration of the earth.
the in-between is mine
i am mine" - Pearl Jam
Old 01-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I was talking to a friend of mine. They asked me what my favorite band was, obviously i said Tool because they are so deep with their lyrics, and they have more hidden meanings in their songs then ANY other bands out there. They said they liked My Chemical Romance because of that and they thought that their songs have a lot of hidden meanings. Wrong...its all stated there for you. Tool is the deepest band...best instrumentals, best everything...hands down its all right there. Everytime i listen to them it amazes me; every time. So glad i found them...they are the best ever...
Old 02-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by downward_spiral
Sometimes when i sit down with a spliff giving this song a listen i get so fucking sad thinking about whats happening troughout the world lately and all the natural disasters happening. Then i start pondering about what the future holds for all of us and it nearly brings me to tears thinking what the next generation of corperate slaves are going to endure. Maynard has a way of making you think for yourself by using a few simple lines like "watch the weather change". and i love him for it but sometime's i cant listen to tool even tho they are my favourate band off all time cause it just gets way too much for the head. Does anyone else feel the same?
I know how you feel but try to remember that the media perpetuates this type of fear. For example, it's a fact that global "catastrophes" are entirely natural and have been happening since the Earth came into being. The other things (man made) are concerning but even that has been going on for a real long time. As for money, well that's been governing the world since its inception.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This song really moves me and it makes me feel whole.....
Old 02-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2268

i absolutely love this song... but i kind of have a different take on it:

i think of the weather as my life.... some parts the weather will be clear and sunny, but then two weeks later, my mom gets cancer and in a split second, i watch the weather change from sunny to stormy.

i guess i compare life to weather mainly because it gives me some sort of hope. Storms never last for forever. They come and go, but even during a long storm, there is that first break in the clouds and you see the sun. Character forms from adversity, from storms... that's why i find them so fascinating. i absoultely am mezmorized by storms and rain i guess because i am partially scared of them, but i know that there will be clear weather in the future. this song emphasizes to me how fast your life can change.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 27

The lyric that I always notice is
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything
The way that Maynard says it is so.................. there are no words.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralyzed_vampire
The lyric that I always notice is
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything
The way that Maynard says it is so.................. there are no words.
I completely agree.... thanx for clearing it up for me.... that idea was in me somewhere, but I just couldn't simplify it or even put it into words.

I would have to say that it's (arguably) my favorite song of Tool's. Part of me somehow believes that this song is somehow connected to the order-in-choas of the universe.... wish I could explain it better.... kind of how mathematics is universal, the same goes for this song. And the lyrics being somewhat of a mantra or just vocalization, I think that it's emphasizing that the words aren't important, but the music instead.

I think this song will be playing after I die and pass on into the next consciousness.

Sorry about the inarticulate rant... I guess my feelings on this song are in my lower brain instead of the higher. =\ I'll add to this if I think of something.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
Level Φ - sXe

Bincount™: 16

[QUOTE=downward_spiral]Sometimes when i sit down with a spliff giving this song a listenQUOTE]
erm...thats...nice...

i'd like to know y people feel the need to take/do/use/abuse drugs in order to apreciate tool's work fully. i have taken/done/used/abused absolutely no drugs whilst listening to tool...nor have i ever. yes i may have a slight problem with people doing drugs, but what people do in their own time has nothing to do with me...but i don't like the fact that some people seem to have the association of tool with drugs
Old 04-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

[QUOTE=eonphi]
Quote:
Originally Posted by downward_spiral
Sometimes when i sit down with a spliff giving this song a listenQUOTE]
erm...thats...nice...

i'd like to know y people feel the need to take/do/use/abuse drugs in order to apreciate tool's work fully. i have taken/done/used/abused absolutely no drugs whilst listening to tool...nor have i ever. yes i may have a slight problem with people doing drugs, but what people do in their own time has nothing to do with me...but i don't like the fact that some people seem to have the association of tool with drugs
Well, the first time I did acid (which I didn't do that often and I haven't done it in years... nor do I ever plan to ever again) was the first time I listened to Tool. The only previous exposure I had to them was watching Beavis & Butt-Head, and only judging from their videos, I thought they were pretty twisted... and it was somewhat frightening.

So... fast forward to '97 and I recall seeing bits n pieces of good 'ole "Track #1" on MTV, and being hypnotised by Maynard's vocals (oddly enough, the parts that really reeled me in were the edited "finger, knuckle, elbow, shoulder" which I didn't know it was edited at the time... just thought that Maynard was saying something and distorting it himself). This was around the time I started smoking cigs/weed in 10th grade.

Sure enough, I get offered some acid one night at my friend's house and we tripped and that's where I heard Aenima for the first time. I've been fucking addicted ever since.

Another fond memory is sitting in my dad's van late at night, smoking pot, listening to "Pushit", and just gazed at the redwoods outside.

But, you don't need drugs to appreciate Tool. But I gotta say that it was damned interesting for me and I think back on those times very fondly.

/end rant.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i love the "breathing" and "stretching" sounds in the beginning and the end of the song. it makes me think of how if you breathe and take the time to forget everything around you then the worries of today seem to become so pointless. but existence continues, much like the breathing in the song does.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcanelli
I know how you feel but try to remember that the media perpetuates this type of fear. For example, it's a fact that global "catastrophes" are entirely natural and have been happening since the Earth came into being. The other things (man made) are concerning but even that has been going on for a real long time. As for money, well that's been governing the world since its inception.
that's a very refreshing view, i never looked at it that way, interesting.

as for "watch the weather change..." i think it shortness and simplicity of each line in the song is what makes it so profound. when i listen to it i feel that it's refering to the chaotic yet recurring nature of our world. If you think about the weather, every year is a predictable cycle of summer/autumn/winter/spring, yet we don't go "shit! it's all the same", we still percieve it as a capricious force, providing "forecasts" rather than determinations. In the same way, events within our civilisation progress in a cyclic manner. For example, WWI, WW2, Gulf war under old Bush, gulf war under new Bush. the Arms race during the cold war, the current arms race (i wonder how stocked up 1st world countries really are)

every battle our leaders(who are supposed to represent our ideals and wishes) decided to engage have lead to bloodshed, yet time and time again, we resort to violence for the sake of money. it's so fucking senseless. seniors, parents, children are all dying because the tiny fraction of the world's population are too fucking greedy to spare a thought for life rather than money.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

To me, this song couldn't be anymore perfect, it embodies so many things about life. How peaceful it is, how simple it is, how beautiful it can be. To take such a simple activity in life, like watching weather change, I see it as "Yes, you're going to have days in life that are rainy, snowy, windy, sunny. And when you have a rainy day, just watch, it will change, maybe to snow, maybe to sunshine, who knows?"

Life can be painful at times, life can be spectacular at times, but it's always going to be life. Without variety, without rain, the sunny days just get to be less exciting, and you find the annoyances in it (i.e. sunburns >.<).

In the end, it's going to be okay, everything will work out, just watch....
Old 05-13-2006, 01:42 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
........If I do for myself what I can, I am therefore fulfilling my obligation to humanity.
thats a great statement right there
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

This song is very ambient. Some things, like the weather, are eternal compared with the endless jostling for most things temporal that seems to sum up modern life. The song is quite re-assuring in that way to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
I for one hear ya DS. But I put it all aside and started focusing on what I could do for myself. If I do for myself what I can, I am therefore fulfilling my obligation to humanity.
Paris Hilton does for herself what she can.
We have an obligation to humanity to do what is good for ourselves? hmmm....so the current system tells us. But just as it rose, it will also pass away.

Last edited by sidereal; 06-07-2006 at 03:01 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

This song moves me everytime I hear it. I listened to it about 20 times in a row the last time I cried, when my grandfather died and I couldn't attend his funeral, because I was too far away. I felt removed from the place I was in and toghether with him. The song is amazing, moving and relaxing. To me it brings a hope of something ending and something new starting, regardless whether the new thing is good or bad. At least there is a change in something. The rhytm and MJK's voice are a perfect combination for us to ponder upon on what the hell this song really is about.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Personally, Dispostion makes me happy, no idea how or why though.
Be A Human

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: