04-29-2006, 07:09 PM

ouch.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #81
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 54
Re: Dream Theater??

ouch.
04-29-2006, 07:12 PM

holy shit what is the matter with you people? This wasn't a fucking flaming thread.
It was about what elements are heard in both bands. Well, since it got hijacked:

When it comes to the arguements: there are so many pussy-ass fanboys here it's pathetic. Honestly, DT and Tool are tied for #1 as my favs. But damn, some of you are huge morons, you don't even know what the hell you are talking about. It really is a matter or apples and oranges. For the record playing damn near 8 instruments myself I'm going to call it like it is.

Maynard James Keenan > James Labrie

John Petrucci >>>>>>> Adam Jones (that's a given)

John Myung >>>>>>> x30 Justin (can Justin play a fucking chapman stick without looking??) No! lmao.

Mike == Danny They use different techniques but have a great deal of skill. To say one is better than the other is not possible, unless you're a fanboy that doesn't know ass like I've read here.

Lyrics: Tool > DT

Instrumental talent: Dream Theater > Tool

What does it all mean? They're great bands that make great music.

Tool rules, DT rules, and stfu about it if you can't support your bantering bullshit.

THIS guy has is 100% correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosis
On what basis are you comparing the individual musicians of the bands?

If the comparison is on the grounds of what you find more "musically" satisfying, then your opinion is subjective and you can shut the fuck up. Apples and oranges.

If the comparison is on the grounds of technical ability, than Dream Theater slaughter Tool, and most other bands in that regard.

Adam is an effects junky. He plays one-finger drop D power chords. There is NOTHING impressive about that. Most of the people who are saying "Dream Theater just wank" are saying that because they hear others saying it. How much Dream Theater have you heard? John Petrucci does not "just wank." Listen to their earlier stuff for some solid composition. They know their music inside and out, and it is certainly NOT meaningless masturbation, for the most part. Shredding does not necessarily equal bad either. "Voices" solo, anyone? End of "Octavarium"? Certainly technical playing, but very emotional. You fucking assholes are just bashing Dream Theater because you hear everybody else bashing them. Shut the fuck up.

Danny and Mike are two very different drummers. Mike certainly does not use as many polyrhythms as Danny does, although the changing time signatures are still there. He structures his parts differently. He grooves. Danny never grooves. Listen to his work with Transatlantic (another cheesy lame prog band zomg -_-) or Liquid Tension Experiment. His drumming is fabulous. So is Danny's. I would say that I enjoy their drumming equally in context. Portnoy is probably the technically superior drummer, but that doesn't really matter. There is no comparison here.

Again, John Myung would slaughter Justin in a chops-fest. But again, they play different roles in their bands. Justin's bass is just as important, if not more important, than Adam's guitar. Myung has some really, really great riffs, and so does Justin. The thing is, Justin is always blasting out his full potential, and Myung is really subdued. He plays a lot simpler than he can. Listen to Learning to Live and Trial of Tears for some great bass work. Again, Justin relies on effects to sound good, Myung doesn't need them (nor does it fit the music).

Maynard vs. Labrie is the same debate. Technically speaking, Labrie has a higher range, stronger voice, and is technically a better singer. Musically, even I contend that Maynard beats him. Then again, Labrie doesn't just whine in high pitched vocals. He has some marvellous vocals on many a DT piece, but overall, I can see why everyone would hate him. He pisses me off a lot, too.

However, on the other hand, they're both equally fucking retarded live. I'm sorry, but the way Maynard is always bending and squirming around like he's having a fucking seizure is as retarded as Labrie's on stage jumping and headbanging. They both look like fucking CLOWNS and it's embarassing to watch either of them sing.

Dream Theater lyrics are without a doubt some of the worst lyrics out there. Then again, Dream Theater more than makes up for that with their music.

For the record, Dream Theater IS my favourite band, but I'm not a fucking fanboy like most of the dickheads on this board are to Tool. I can recognize what's wrong with Dream Theater. I can recognize what's wrong with Tool. Maybe if you did the same, you wouldn't be spouting stupid shit like "zomg Adam is waaaaaaay bettre den Pretruci" and saying they "do nothing but wank" because the guy above your post said it. Anybody can play Tool on the guitar; many struggle to play Petrucci's more difficult riffs and solos. It is easier to sing Keenan's parts than Labrie's parts. People die drumming Portnoy OR Carey. DT's music is much more complex than Tool's. Does that mean it's better? No. It just is.

Now somebody flame me for having a differing opinion. It seems to be the most popular thing around here.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #82
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

holy shit what is the matter with you people? This wasn't a fucking flaming thread.
It was about what elements are heard in both bands. Well, since it got hijacked:

When it comes to the arguements: there are so many pussy-ass fanboys here it's pathetic. Honestly, DT and Tool are tied for #1 as my favs. But damn, some of you are huge morons, you don't even know what the hell you are talking about. It really is a matter or apples and oranges. For the record playing damn near 8 instruments myself I'm going to call it like it is.

John Myung >>>>>>> x30 Justin (can Justin play a fucking chapman stick without looking??) No! lmao.

Mike == Danny They use different techniques but have a great deal of skill. To say one is better than the other is not possible, unless you're a fanboy that doesn't know ass like I've read here.

What does it all mean? They're great bands that make great music.

Tool rules, DT rules, and stfu about it if you can't support your bantering bullshit.

THIS guy has is 100% correct:

Quote:
On what basis are you comparing the individual musicians of the bands?

If the comparison is on the grounds of what you find more "musically" satisfying, then your opinion is subjective and you can shut the fuck up. Apples and oranges.

If the comparison is on the grounds of technical ability, than Dream Theater slaughter Tool, and most other bands in that regard.

Adam is an effects junky. He plays one-finger drop D power chords. There is NOTHING impressive about that. Most of the people who are saying "Dream Theater just wank" are saying that because they hear others saying it. How much Dream Theater have you heard? John Petrucci does not "just wank." Listen to their earlier stuff for some solid composition. They know their music inside and out, and it is certainly NOT meaningless masturbation, for the most part. Shredding does not necessarily equal bad either. "Voices" solo, anyone? End of "Octavarium"? Certainly technical playing, but very emotional. You fucking assholes are just bashing Dream Theater because you hear everybody else bashing them. Shut the fuck up.

Danny and Mike are two very different drummers. Mike certainly does not use as many polyrhythms as Danny does, although the changing time signatures are still there. He structures his parts differently. He grooves. Danny never grooves. Listen to his work with Transatlantic (another cheesy lame prog band zomg -_-) or Liquid Tension Experiment. His drumming is fabulous. So is Danny's. I would say that I enjoy their drumming equally in context. Portnoy is probably the technically superior drummer, but that doesn't really matter. There is no comparison here.

Again, John Myung would slaughter Justin in a chops-fest. But again, they play different roles in their bands. Justin's bass is just as important, if not more important, than Adam's guitar. Myung has some really, really great riffs, and so does Justin. The thing is, Justin is always blasting out his full potential, and Myung is really subdued. He plays a lot simpler than he can. Listen to Learning to Live and Trial of Tears for some great bass work. Again, Justin relies on effects to sound good, Myung doesn't need them (nor does it fit the music).

Maynard vs. Labrie is the same debate. Technically speaking, Labrie has a higher range, stronger voice, and is technically a better singer. Musically, even I contend that Maynard beats him. Then again, Labrie doesn't just whine in high pitched vocals. He has some marvellous vocals on many a DT piece, but overall, I can see why everyone would hate him. He pisses me off a lot, too.

However, on the other hand, they're both equally fucking retarded live. I'm sorry, but the way Maynard is always bending and squirming around like he's having a fucking seizure is as retarded as Labrie's on stage jumping and headbanging. They both look like fucking CLOWNS and it's embarassing to watch either of them sing.

Dream Theater lyrics are without a doubt some of the worst lyrics out there. Then again, Dream Theater more than makes up for that with their music.

For the record, Dream Theater IS my favourite band, but I'm not a fucking fanboy like most of the dickheads on this board are to Tool. I can recognize what's wrong with Dream Theater. I can recognize what's wrong with Tool. Maybe if you did the same, you wouldn't be spouting stupid shit like "zomg Adam is waaaaaaay bettre den Pretruci" and saying they "do nothing but wank" because the guy above your post said it. Anybody can play Tool on the guitar; many struggle to play Petrucci's more difficult riffs and solos. It is easier to sing Keenan's parts than Labrie's parts. People die drumming Portnoy OR Carey. DT's music is much more complex than Tool's. Does that mean it's better? No. It just is.

Now somebody flame me for having a differing opinion. It seems to be the most popular thing around here.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
soulslot
04-29-2006, 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=SoM]I friend of mine (big time dream theater fan) who has (somehow) heard the new tool album said to me the other day that it sounds dream theater inspired. This is basically what he said:

HOLY CHRIST - that is the worst 10K days review ive read yet!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #83
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

[QUOTE=SoM]I friend of mine (big time dream theater fan) who has (somehow) heard the new tool album said to me the other day that it sounds dream theater inspired. This is basically what he said:

HOLY CHRIST - that is the worst 10K days review ive read yet!
04-29-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolee
Again you prove what an outstandingly enlightened, mature and intelligent person you are.

Keep wearing that grudge, hope it works out for you.

Is it a grudge to claim that a certain band is crap? If so, color me guilty!

Typical Dream Theater recording session:

Mike: "Hey John, what rhymes with 'worn'?"
John: "Torn"
Mike: "Nice, I'll go with it!"
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #84
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Again you prove what an outstandingly enlightened, mature and intelligent person you are.

Keep wearing that grudge, hope it works out for you.

Is it a grudge to claim that a certain band is crap? If so, color me guilty!

Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
04-29-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrymoIogy
James LeBrie's voice is like something from the seventh depth of hell. Danny Carey's drumming is far more CREATIVE than anything portnoy does. When i think of portnoy's drumming, I think of a constant solo, and tons of double stroke rolls, without any intricacy. All of which carey is capable of, be he doesn't need to bust a nut all over his kit for an entire song, to keep people interested in his bands music. Petrucci is a god among men though, I will give you that. I agree with everything else though.
I dunno, what other type of voice could suit cheesy operatic prog than a soaring, searing operatic squeal?

I don't like Danny and Portnoy are different in their levels of creativity, but if Danny was to be as flashy as he could be, he'd be humiliating Adam. Dream Theatre obviously like creating songs that become a playground for them, and they play. Tool like creating songs that take themselves more seriously and pieces of art, there's less room to play for them. I don't think Portnoy is any more flashy than Petrucci; infact, Petrucci bores me more than Portnoy does.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #85
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
James LeBrie's voice is like something from the seventh depth of hell. Danny Carey's drumming is far more CREATIVE than anything portnoy does. When i think of portnoy's drumming, I think of a constant solo, and tons of double stroke rolls, without any intricacy. All of which carey is capable of, be he doesn't need to bust a nut all over his kit for an entire song, to keep people interested in his bands music. Petrucci is a god among men though, I will give you that. I agree with everything else though.
I dunno, what other type of voice could suit cheesy operatic prog than a soaring, searing operatic squeal?

I don't like Danny and Portnoy are different in their levels of creativity, but if Danny was to be as flashy as he could be, he'd be humiliating Adam. Dream Theatre obviously like creating songs that become a playground for them, and they play. Tool like creating songs that take themselves more seriously and pieces of art, there's less room to play for them. I don't think Portnoy is any more flashy than Petrucci; infact, Petrucci bores me more than Portnoy does.
Parabolee
04-29-2006, 07:19 PM

No not liking a band is fine, as I said. But it is a grudge to be a jerk about not liking a band
Old 04-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #86
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

No not liking a band is fine, as I said. But it is a grudge to be a jerk about not liking a band
lachrymoIogy's Avatar lachrymoIogy
04-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny

I agree his voice SUITS the music, traditionally I suppose, I just can't stand that sort of style. I pretty much hate everything about the 80's sound. Everything DT does is like a huge solo; them showing off their musical capabilities (don't get me wrong, im not...disrespecting them for that, just merely making a point). All the MUSICIANS in DT are world class, top 10 all time easy. But really I think portnoy is the least impressive out of everyone. His name slips my mind right now, but I think the synth player is by far the best musician in the band, with petrucci behind him. When I think DT i think huge extravagant solos on end. When I think tool I think art. And I really wish the singer would die, or LTE would put out more stuff. Because that would be my favorite group of musicians.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny

I agree his voice SUITS the music, traditionally I suppose, I just can't stand that sort of style. I pretty much hate everything about the 80's sound. Everything DT does is like a huge solo; them showing off their musical capabilities (don't get me wrong, im not...disrespecting them for that, just merely making a point). All the MUSICIANS in DT are world class, top 10 all time easy. But really I think portnoy is the least impressive out of everyone. His name slips my mind right now, but I think the synth player is by far the best musician in the band, with petrucci behind him. When I think DT i think huge extravagant solos on end. When I think tool I think art. And I really wish the singer would die, or LTE would put out more stuff. Because that would be my favorite group of musicians.
04-29-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:

*Yawn* I'm actually really sleepy right now and I'm heading off to bed. I'll think and reflect upon all the advice given to me tonight. Thanks for everyone's input on how I can become a better human being through respect of all band's music.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #88
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

*Yawn* I'm actually really sleepy right now and I'm heading off to bed. I'll think and reflect upon all the advice given to me tonight. Thanks for everyone's input on how I can become a better human being through respect of all band's music.
Teratoma's Avatar Teratoma
04-29-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
But really I think portnoy is the least impressive out of everyone. His name slips my mind right now, but I think the synth player is by far the best musician in the band, with petrucci behind him.
Jordan Rudess

but I honestly cannot come to terms with him being better than Petrucci. But that's opinion for ya, heehh.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #89

Quote:
But really I think portnoy is the least impressive out of everyone. His name slips my mind right now, but I think the synth player is by far the best musician in the band, with petrucci behind him.
Jordan Rudess

but I honestly cannot come to terms with him being better than Petrucci. But that's opinion for ya, heehh.
HalfASandwidch
04-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I am totally with this guy. I don't think that an LTE3 will be happening though. But it would kick ass if it did.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
I am totally with this guy. I don't think that an LTE3 will be happening though. But it would kick ass if it did.
Mosis's Avatar Mosis
04-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Just because I've acknowledged the fact that Dream Theater sucks doesn't mean that I can't respect their music. You've yet to point out something about Dream Theater's music other than the fact that their lyrics are pretty bad. I don't listen to Dream Theater for the same reasons I listen to Tool. The two are incompatible for me. Dream Theater inspire me musically, creatively, and open up new avenues of composition and improvisation for me (I'm a pianist/keyboardist). Tool gives me an outlet for my frustration and offers an introspective platform. They can't hope to do what Dream Theater does, and Dream Theater can't hope to do what Tool does. By clinging to the fact that "lol dt lyicsk skuc", you aren't doing anything to strengthen your argument.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #91
Banned.

Bincount™: 269

Just because I've acknowledged the fact that Dream Theater sucks doesn't mean that I can't respect their music. You've yet to point out something about Dream Theater's music other than the fact that their lyrics are pretty bad. I don't listen to Dream Theater for the same reasons I listen to Tool. The two are incompatible for me. Dream Theater inspire me musically, creatively, and open up new avenues of composition and improvisation for me (I'm a pianist/keyboardist). Tool gives me an outlet for my frustration and offers an introspective platform. They can't hope to do what Dream Theater does, and Dream Theater can't hope to do what Tool does. By clinging to the fact that "lol dt lyicsk skuc", you aren't doing anything to strengthen your argument.
04-29-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma
Jordan Rudess

he technically players rhythem guitar, and piano/synth throughout all their music. He's twice as technically and BLAZING fast. don't get me wrong, petrucci is fucking amazing. Like I said, all these guys are 10 ten all time in their musical fields (minus the singer, seriously I hate that asshole and im pretty sure the band does too). DT is like the Allstar team of prog musicians, with portnoy being the highly overrated tim duncan.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Jordan Rudess

he technically players rhythem guitar, and piano/synth throughout all their music. He's twice as technically and BLAZING fast. don't get me wrong, petrucci is fucking amazing. Like I said, all these guys are 10 ten all time in their musical fields (minus the singer, seriously I hate that asshole and im pretty sure the band does too). DT is like the Allstar team of prog musicians, with portnoy being the highly overrated tim duncan.
04-29-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
"lol dt lyicsk skuc"
All i gotta say is....

Quote:
you aren't doing anything to strengthen your argument.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #93
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
"lol dt lyicsk skuc"
All i gotta say is....

Quote:
you aren't doing anything to strengthen your argument.
Mosis's Avatar Mosis
04-29-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
He may be the overrated Tim Duncan, but he's the driving force behind all their music. Without argument, he is the leader of the band, and Dream Theater will pack up when he decides to pack up.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #94
Banned.

Quote:
He may be the overrated Tim Duncan, but he's the driving force behind all their music. Without argument, he is the leader of the band, and Dream Theater will pack up when he decides to pack up.
04-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
He is a fantastic drummer, i agree. DT would cease to exist without him, I agree. I say he's overrated for the people who think that he is the best. Because in my opinion, I think his kit does more work than he does, and he is nothing but rudimentary technique.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #95
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
He is a fantastic drummer, i agree. DT would cease to exist without him, I agree. I say he's overrated for the people who think that he is the best. Because in my opinion, I think his kit does more work than he does, and he is nothing but rudimentary technique.
04-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
(minus the singer, seriously I hate that asshole and im pretty sure the band does too)
Yeah I think you're right on that haha. Given the style DT has, who would you think would be an awesome singer if not him for the band? It's kinda hard to stick in nu-metal lame growling shit.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #96

Quote:
(minus the singer, seriously I hate that asshole and im pretty sure the band does too)
Yeah I think you're right on that haha. Given the style DT has, who would you think would be an awesome singer if not him for the band? It's kinda hard to stick in nu-metal lame growling shit.
04-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I don't think any singer is necessary, actually.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #97
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
04-29-2006, 07:35 PM

I meen if you consider Dream Theater to be a group of the worlds greatest musicians (and I do), I think it would make sense to encorporate one of the worlds best vocalist/song writers. Not Sebastian Bach and Fabio's love child.I really couldn't imagine who would be a better singer for dream theater. When all else fails, jam with Patton. ::shrugs::
Old 04-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #98
Level 7 - Loquacious

I meen if you consider Dream Theater to be a group of the worlds greatest musicians (and I do), I think it would make sense to encorporate one of the worlds best vocalist/song writers. Not Sebastian Bach and Fabio's love child.I really couldn't imagine who would be a better singer for dream theater. When all else fails, jam with Patton. ::shrugs::
04-29-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
But then it'd default back to stuff like LTE. They have to be thinking "how can we get this opera asshole out of here?"

I forgot to add one thing for everyone in this flame war: take away both singers and

Dream Theater is "harder" than Tool as well when it comes down to it being intentional in a song. I've got 5 Tool albums and 8 DT one's to back that up very clearly :)
Old 04-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #99

Quote:
But then it'd default back to stuff like LTE. They have to be thinking "how can we get this opera asshole out of here?"

I forgot to add one thing for everyone in this flame war: take away both singers and

Dream Theater is "harder" than Tool as well when it comes down to it being intentional in a song. I've got 5 Tool albums and 8 DT one's to back that up very clearly :)
04-29-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah but Ticks and Leeches is harder than everything DT has done combined. :/
Old 04-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #100
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Yeah but Ticks and Leeches is harder than everything DT has done combined. :/
04-29-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:

if you compare like that, then compare wisely.

petrucci is surely great technical player. fast and versatile. no question he is a "better" one in technique than adam. i don't want to bash jp, cause i like him as guitar player, so i will not talk about subtile feeling or originality. i think adam, without that talents on technique, has to deliver more on these items. he is the best player tool could have for their really own sound. petrucci would ruin all climax with great-but-not-fitting-soli.

nearly the same with john myung and justin. but i think john myung has much more to deliver in case of "swinging in the mood of a song" than john petrucci. he is the only guy in DT doesn't like to wank with abilities. for that, he's still my hero in this band, i was a fan of with their first 3 or 4 albums. but he is never ever that more genious on his instrument than justin. playing without looking? wtf should that prove? in music, the ears decide if it's great or not. if the view on the musician is that important to you, we don't have to talk further. please go and have your fun with wankers.

and if it comes to music, we should have a word on songwriting.

in my opinion, dream theater have lost their soul as kevin moore left the band.

they were a great band, with great songs, with him. after that, wanking takes more and more control. maybe it's because kevin was the only guy who could write songs, songs with vibes and feelings, and a sense for well fitting climaxes in a classic progressive rock context. james la brie himself was (kind of) pleasant until kevin was in the band (or, to say it more directly: he wasn't able to ruin songs during that period). try to think if jlb is tool's singer and not mjk. try to think about him, coming "back to the boys" after they have written new material.. "uuhm.. eehmm.. where should i place a refrain? uuuhmm.. hey.. all those songs are just instrumentals! you can't place lyrics on that music!!!!". go fuck off james la brie. you're out.

[....]

have fun with what you like to hear. but don't try to set technical talents equal with feeling and original creativity.

ah. topic. jambis first riff.. hmmm.. have to take a look in my collection. ;)
Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #101
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

if you compare like that, then compare wisely.

petrucci is surely great technical player. fast and versatile. no question he is a "better" one in technique than adam. i don't want to bash jp, cause i like him as guitar player, so i will not talk about subtile feeling or originality. i think adam, without that talents on technique, has to deliver more on these items. he is the best player tool could have for their really own sound. petrucci would ruin all climax with great-but-not-fitting-soli.

nearly the same with john myung and justin. but i think john myung has much more to deliver in case of "swinging in the mood of a song" than john petrucci. he is the only guy in DT doesn't like to wank with abilities. for that, he's still my hero in this band, i was a fan of with their first 3 or 4 albums. but he is never ever that more genious on his instrument than justin. playing without looking? wtf should that prove? in music, the ears decide if it's great or not. if the view on the musician is that important to you, we don't have to talk further. please go and have your fun with wankers.

and if it comes to music, we should have a word on songwriting.

in my opinion, dream theater have lost their soul as kevin moore left the band.

they were a great band, with great songs, with him. after that, wanking takes more and more control. maybe it's because kevin was the only guy who could write songs, songs with vibes and feelings, and a sense for well fitting climaxes in a classic progressive rock context. james la brie himself was (kind of) pleasant until kevin was in the band (or, to say it more directly: he wasn't able to ruin songs during that period). try to think if jlb is tool's singer and not mjk. try to think about him, coming "back to the boys" after they have written new material.. "uuhm.. eehmm.. where should i place a refrain? uuuhmm.. hey.. all those songs are just instrumentals! you can't place lyrics on that music!!!!". go fuck off james la brie. you're out.

[....]

have fun with what you like to hear. but don't try to set technical talents equal with feeling and original creativity.

ah. topic. jambis first riff.. hmmm.. have to take a look in my collection. ;)
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-29-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I really couldn't imagine who would be a better singer for dream theater.

GEOFF

FUCKING

TATE

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #102
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:

GEOFF

FUCKING

TATE

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Metalhos
04-29-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
pj harvey. but she possibly would shit her bed before doing that.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #103
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
pj harvey. but she possibly would shit her bed before doing that.
Mosis's Avatar Mosis
04-29-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
GEOFF

FUCKING

TATE
Absolutely not. Geoff Tate is an asshole and the timbre of his voice makes me physically ill.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #104
Banned.

Quote:
GEOFF

FUCKING

TATE
Absolutely not. Geoff Tate is an asshole and the timbre of his voice makes me physically ill.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-29-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I feel the same about James Labrie

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #105
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
jerico v
04-29-2006, 09:26 PM

i would have to say dream theatre is... faster. in terms of technical aspects, if you break it down to numbers (speed, range, etc.), they would destroy tool, i am sure. but you can't force emotion into a song by skill alone. in terms of originality, feelings, and emotional attachment, i do think tool is much better. dream theater is an amazing band and i really do enjoy the music (especially for driving music), but i don't think they are better than tool. just different.

also, i don't like JLB's lyrics either, so i just treat his voice as another instrument and ignore the words.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #106
Level 3 - Talker

i would have to say dream theatre is... faster. in terms of technical aspects, if you break it down to numbers (speed, range, etc.), they would destroy tool, i am sure. but you can't force emotion into a song by skill alone. in terms of originality, feelings, and emotional attachment, i do think tool is much better. dream theater is an amazing band and i really do enjoy the music (especially for driving music), but i don't think they are better than tool. just different.

also, i don't like JLB's lyrics either, so i just treat his voice as another instrument and ignore the words.
Mosis's Avatar Mosis
04-29-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This made me laugh hard. I knew you were going to say that!

=D
Old 04-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #107
Banned.

Quote:

=D
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-29-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:

=D
=) yeah, i guess it comes down to opinion. I think QueensRyche has much better lyrics than DC, and much better vocals.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #108
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

=D
=) yeah, i guess it comes down to opinion. I think QueensRyche has much better lyrics than DC, and much better vocals.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
maxthruput's Avatar maxthruput
04-29-2006, 11:06 PM

Dream Theater > Tool

No question!

:)
Old 04-29-2006, 11:06 PM   #109
got poopy? (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 7

Dream Theater > Tool

No question!

kidgloves2
04-30-2006, 12:23 AM

Neither band is greater than the other. They are both amazing in their own way. Although I do lean a little more toward Tool. I do love both for totally different reasons.

Tool may not be better technically as musicians, but what does that really mean? As a matter of fact, If god came to me and said he would give me the gift to express myself musically and I had to choose to be like Adam Jones or Petrucci.....I would choose Adam Jones. That's how I would rather express myself because I think I feel the same way he does. I don't have talent like him, but I think I feel like him. If that makes any sense.

Screw flashy tequnique. Although Petrucci does it tastefully.

Whatever.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:23 AM   #110
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Neither band is greater than the other. They are both amazing in their own way. Although I do lean a little more toward Tool. I do love both for totally different reasons.

Tool may not be better technically as musicians, but what does that really mean? As a matter of fact, If god came to me and said he would give me the gift to express myself musically and I had to choose to be like Adam Jones or Petrucci.....I would choose Adam Jones. That's how I would rather express myself because I think I feel the same way he does. I don't have talent like him, but I think I feel like him. If that makes any sense.

Whatever.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-30-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgloves2

Whatever.
Oh man, have you ever seen dream theater live? Its embarassing, apparantly Portnoy spends too much time on his technique / writing music / playing music, because he hasn't worked on his stage tricks at all (which is fine... but if you can't do them dont try them1!!)

he, after EVERY song... threw a drum stick in the air, and dropped it or otherwise failed to catch it. it was pretty hilarious.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #111
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgloves2

Whatever.
Oh man, have you ever seen dream theater live? Its embarassing, apparantly Portnoy spends too much time on his technique / writing music / playing music, because he hasn't worked on his stage tricks at all (which is fine... but if you can't do them dont try them1!!)

he, after EVERY song... threw a drum stick in the air, and dropped it or otherwise failed to catch it. it was pretty hilarious.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:31 AM   #112
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Dream Theater brings misfortune.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
04-30-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus

I kind of lol'ed at that one...
Old 04-30-2006, 12:39 AM   #113
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus

I kind of lol'ed at that one...
04-30-2006, 12:51 AM

Dream Theater are the worst band I've ever heard. Yeah, opinions are opinions, but when a band is that incredibly inept at decent composition, I can't believe anyone would think that they're worth fuck-all.
I honestly see more merit in Linkin Park or whatever.

Oh, and, all this talk of technique makes me fucking weary. I don't think anyone here actually knows what Adam Jones is or isn't capable of, because even if he was able to play solos that rivalled Dream Theater's, he wouldn't. Because that's not Tool, and because it's just plain shit. I do doubt, though, that after all these years playing guitar, he isn't able to do more than what he does on record.
King Crimson are the only band I've ever heard that is technically excellent without being completely awful. And I'm pretty sure that King Crimson's members, past and present, rain piss upon Dream fucking Theater.
Odd thing is, if you listen to almost any King Crimson song, you wouldn't actually think they were that "talented" (examples: Red, Larks Tongues part 2, VROOOM VROOOM). Maybe because no-one in that band has a hilarious cock complex.

I remember an interview with Mark Kozelek once where he said that the Painters were all Rush fans, and could do amazing shit instrumentally, but the world will never know - they were too concerned with making good music to actually prove their "talent" to the world. Almost every Red House Painters song is an acoustic strum-pattern, the kind any guitar novice would be able to pick up within a second or two.

Final note: Technical talent isn't talent at all. Technique is a means to an end, that end being a solid composition. It's all very well making the world's biggest hammer, but unless you use it to build something, it's fucking useless. Why should I respect that? It's ridiculous. It makes me lose respect.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #114
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 360

Dream Theater are the worst band I've ever heard. Yeah, opinions are opinions, but when a band is that incredibly inept at decent composition, I can't believe anyone would think that they're worth fuck-all.

Oh, and, all this talk of technique makes me fucking weary. I don't think anyone here actually knows what Adam Jones is or isn't capable of, because even if he was able to play solos that rivalled Dream Theater's, he wouldn't. Because that's not Tool, and because it's just plain shit. I do doubt, though, that after all these years playing guitar, he isn't able to do more than what he does on record.
King Crimson are the only band I've ever heard that is technically excellent without being completely awful. And I'm pretty sure that King Crimson's members, past and present, rain piss upon Dream fucking Theater.
Odd thing is, if you listen to almost any King Crimson song, you wouldn't actually think they were that "talented" (examples: Red, Larks Tongues part 2, VROOOM VROOOM). Maybe because no-one in that band has a hilarious cock complex.

I remember an interview with Mark Kozelek once where he said that the Painters were all Rush fans, and could do amazing shit instrumentally, but the world will never know - they were too concerned with making good music to actually prove their "talent" to the world. Almost every Red House Painters song is an acoustic strum-pattern, the kind any guitar novice would be able to pick up within a second or two.

Final note: Technical talent isn't talent at all. Technique is a means to an end, that end being a solid composition. It's all very well making the world's biggest hammer, but unless you use it to build something, it's fucking useless. Why should I respect that? It's ridiculous. It makes me lose respect.
04-30-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:

You could say that I've seen them live. That's an understatement. ;)

Portnoy pulls off his drum parts pretty well. He really is amazing. And they do write awesome riffs. But I personally think Tool taps into something else that very few musicians can. It transends technique. Yet, Tool are very skilled on that level too. Danny is a technical monster.

This is a silly conversation though.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #115
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

You could say that I've seen them live. That's an understatement. ;)

Portnoy pulls off his drum parts pretty well. He really is amazing. And they do write awesome riffs. But I personally think Tool taps into something else that very few musicians can. It transends technique. Yet, Tool are very skilled on that level too. Danny is a technical monster.

This is a silly conversation though.
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
04-30-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoM
"[Jones] mixes fretted notes and palm mutes a lot. Tool never did that before. Listen to that riff in the first track..."

Everyone mixes fretted notes and palm mutes a lot. Not just dream theater, but pretty much anyone who uses distortion on their guitar, and tons of people who don't. And tool have done it plenty of times before. So either your friend is talking about something else, or he's just making things up to make you think he knows what he's talking about...

I've heard Dream Theater rip off tool a few times, but never the other way 'round...
Plus Dream Theater is just a bunch of technical wank, there's little musical value in it. I have a lot of respect for those guys, because they are all ridiculously skilled at their instruments, but they just tend towards making cheesy-as-hell music. And these days it's even worse cos they're trying to be Nu-Metal and Dream Theater at the same time = crappy cheese!

I saw them live, and it was cool to see them play that intensely for 3 hours, but there were not really any memorable emotional moments, just a lot of "wow, that was insane."

Tool is the opposite. Especially on this album, they relinquish needless technicality and use music to construct an emotional atmosphere that is engrossing and encompassing. I'd love to see Dream Theater do that, but I just don't think they have it in them...
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 04-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #116
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoM
"[Jones] mixes fretted notes and palm mutes a lot. Tool never did that before. Listen to that riff in the first track..."

Everyone mixes fretted notes and palm mutes a lot. Not just dream theater, but pretty much anyone who uses distortion on their guitar, and tons of people who don't. And tool have done it plenty of times before. So either your friend is talking about something else, or he's just making things up to make you think he knows what he's talking about...

I've heard Dream Theater rip off tool a few times, but never the other way 'round...
Plus Dream Theater is just a bunch of technical wank, there's little musical value in it. I have a lot of respect for those guys, because they are all ridiculously skilled at their instruments, but they just tend towards making cheesy-as-hell music. And these days it's even worse cos they're trying to be Nu-Metal and Dream Theater at the same time = crappy cheese!

I saw them live, and it was cool to see them play that intensely for 3 hours, but there were not really any memorable emotional moments, just a lot of "wow, that was insane."

Tool is the opposite. Especially on this album, they relinquish needless technicality and use music to construct an emotional atmosphere that is engrossing and encompassing. I'd love to see Dream Theater do that, but I just don't think they have it in them...
Help people, you lazy bum
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
04-30-2006, 01:05 AM

To actually get back on topic, I honostly don't hear any DT influences at all on this album...
Old 04-30-2006, 01:05 AM   #117
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

To actually get back on topic, I honostly don't hear any DT influences at all on this album...
04-30-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischordance

I like technical wanking! It makes me happy! The fact that Danny is beyond the rest of Tool technically is not lost on me...However, to say that a band doesnt wank because they dont want to is bs. Danny wanks on every damn Tool song! Justin tries his best to keep up on a couple of 'em..bless him, the poor bastard. But Adam is probably the worst guitar player Ive ever heard in a major band...besides MicK Mars of Motley Crue of course! The fact of the matter is that Adam would have to be like a John Petrucci to be able to "hang" with Danny Carey! Since he obviously can't he is relegated to making "atmospheric" guitar sounds and colors...So don't talk yourself into being a retard just because you like Tool ok?

Old 04-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #118
got poopy? (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 7

Quote:

I like technical wanking! It makes me happy! The fact that Danny is beyond the rest of Tool technically is not lost on me...However, to say that a band doesnt wank because they dont want to is bs. Danny wanks on every damn Tool song! Justin tries his best to keep up on a couple of 'em..bless him, the poor bastard. But Adam is probably the worst guitar player Ive ever heard in a major band...besides MicK Mars of Motley Crue of course! The fact of the matter is that Adam would have to be like a John Petrucci to be able to "hang" with Danny Carey! Since he obviously can't he is relegated to making "atmospheric" guitar sounds and colors...So don't talk yourself into being a retard just because you like Tool ok?

Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-30-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Dude, listen to Larks IV.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:07 AM   #119
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Dude, listen to Larks IV.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
cornerstone's Avatar cornerstone
04-30-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone here actually knows what Adam Jones is or isn't capable of, because even if he was able to play solos that rivalled Dream Theater's, he wouldn't. Because that's not Tool, and because it's just plain shit. I do doubt, though, that after all these years playing guitar, he isn't able to do more than what he does on record.
Agreed to the maximillian.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:26 AM   #120
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 14273

Quote:
I don't think anyone here actually knows what Adam Jones is or isn't capable of, because even if he was able to play solos that rivalled Dream Theater's, he wouldn't. Because that's not Tool, and because it's just plain shit. I do doubt, though, that after all these years playing guitar, he isn't able to do more than what he does on record.
Agreed to the maximillian.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply