opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 09. jimmy
User Name
Password
Old 11-25-2002, 03:19 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
11 significance . . .

ok, bear with me here, because im not even sure what im on about . . .

the numeral 11 to me has always been a recurring thing . . . everywhere i go, 11 is always referenced or something . . . number plates, phone numbers, ages, birthdates - all have an 11 in it . . .

so, what does this mean in "jimmy"? . . . could be an age thing - could be a lot of things, actually . . .

but, after being plagued by this recurring 11 thing for a while, i decided to hop on the trusty net and find out what its all about . . . after much searching (because think about it - someone has a "recurring nuimber" and wants to find out its "significance") i finally came across something . . .

the number 11 often means a great change, or that something is letting you know you are connected, and that you are on the right track . . . i see 11:11 on the clock all the time, and i found out it means an opportunity is available - i just have to stay on the right track and keep paying attention to the subtle hints dropped to me each day . . .

sound like a load of shit? maybe . . .

but in the song, maybe he (the narrator) realised he was connected and that it was time he started paying attention to what was going on around him . . .

Hold your light,
Eleven. Lead me through each gentle step by step
By inch by loaded memory
'till one and one are one, eleven,
So glow, child, glow.

"lead me through"? "one, [me] and one, [everything else - the cosmos, universe, god] are one [this isnt a bad thing to happen - akin to nirvana], eleven [hey thanks, i payed attention and you helped me through]" . . .

probably doesnt make sense, and its really reaching, i know . . . but i can only speak from experience . . . that, and maybe this might trigger off an idea or thought or inspiration . . . and if it has, it was probably worth it . . .

just before i go, have you got a recurring number, theme, colour (well, maybe not colour) . . . have you ever noticed? are you open to the idea, and to the rest of the world? . . .

thats something to think about . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
maynard is singing to himself. thats what makes this song so powerful. i love this idea.

he is singing to himself when he was 11. trying to regain the innocence that he has lost since then. though i hate using the word innocence. it's more like how blake and wordsworth say that a child is closest to god.

'til one (maynard) and one (jimmy) are one, 11

maynard is trying to reconnect with who he was

Under a dead ohio sky,
Eleven has been and will be waiting,
Defending his light,
And wondering...
Where the hell have I been?
Sleeping, lost, and numb.
So glad that I have found you.
I am wide awake and heading home.

after all this time maynard realizes the cure to being sleeping, lost, and numb is to reconnect with who he once was.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

I'm heading back home.

I want to tell what the forests
were like

I will have to speak
in a forgotten language

- W. S. Merwin
Old 11-26-2002, 01:08 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

I think that you may be on to something with this and dealing with numerolgy ( Danny Carrys a big fan of it ) . But the song , as with the rest of the album deal with an strong need for change and the willingness to "do what it takes to step through ".
I still see the song as dealing with the loss of childhood inocence and the need to reconncet with it . Pushits the next song and he's struggeling within himself " What is this but my reflection , who am I to judge or strike you down ." and " You better take enof to make me enter , if I do we both (the ego and the child ) may dissapper
Old 11-26-2002, 11:02 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah, cause thats the lyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Machine
" You better take enof to make me enter , if I do we both (the ego and the child ) may dissapper
If anyone's gonna over-analyze the lyrics, the least you can do is get the fucking lyrics right.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:17 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

yeah

Allright try not to be to hostile about it.
Jimmy has the same feeling to me. When I listen to Jimmy I get this very personal feeling. I thought that trying to assume an importance to 11 would be to presumptuous for me, but your assumption sound correct(to a point).
The use of a specific age would seem very appropriate for tool. I know that Maynard is from Akron, where my family is from.(actually columbus). These things seem to make me thing that, if he could, Maynard would have kept his innocence.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:12 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

jimmy is a nickname for james....just in case no one thought of that already
Old 11-28-2002, 03:04 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

On the points of "reflection" and 1 and 1, I've always seen them as Mr. Keenan and his wife. If you read the APC faq, Brena is a straight up love song to his wife, in which he calls her his reflection. If you ever want to disect a meaning tool has implanted into their work, you really have to look at the whole picture. As seemingly unrelated as it may be.

For One, and One, to be One, its essentially a marriage. Having recently married myself, I feel I can say with great authority that when you trully love someone, you find yourself, as well as love for yourself, again.

I also take 11 to have a rather Kabbalistic approach to it. The sephirots are numbered 1 - 10. 11 perhaps representing God itself, or the whole. Or maybe even Da'at. Not sure.

All in all, I would love to say that this song is essentially about mr. Keenan falling in love and reconnecting himself to his inner child, his innocence, or whatever it was that made him, him.

Oh... and to Crow011. I've been followed by crows everywhere I go for the last 4 years. They've become a very large part of my life, even though, to this day I have only a very vauge understanding of what they represent to me. They're such an enigma. In Native American society, they are understood to be the keepers of all the hidden knowledge in the world. Tricksters, Devils (of a sort) and very worshipped as a whole. Not only that, but from a current scientific understanding, one of the most intelligent creatures in nature. (The Black Vault www.blackvault.com had an article about crows knowing full well how to use tools in recent weeks). Whatever that holds for me, I've yet to fully comprehend.

Numbers... currently 222 and previously 720.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Wordsworthand British lit anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by okkoto
he is singing to himself when he was 11. trying to regain the innocence that he has lost since then. though i hate using the word innocence. it's more like how blake and wordsworth say that a child is closest to god.

'til one (maynard) and one (jimmy) are one, 11

maynard is trying to reconnect with who he was

Under a dead ohio sky,
Eleven has been and will be waiting,
Defending his light,
And wondering...
Where the hell have I been?
Sleeping, lost, and numb.
So glad that I have found you.
I am wide awake and heading home.

Anyone read any Wordsworth? He's all about connecting to your inner child. Quoting from my Norton Anthology of British Lit (damn English major...)

"Wordsworth is above all the poet of the rembrance of things past, or as he himself put it, of 'emotionally recollected in tranquility.' Some object or event in the present triggers a sudden renewal of feelings he had experienced in youth; the result is a poem exhibiting the sharp discrepancy between what Wordsworth called 'two consciousnesses': himself as he is now and himself as he once was."

The main difference betweeen Wordsworth as a poet and MJK as a poet is that Wordsworth's early experiences are positive, and therefore something to try to reconnect to when you feel down. MJK, at least in this song, seem to be haunted by early experiences and unable to escape their damaging effects years later.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:22 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

i think maynard realizes that 11 is when things changed for him. if he can reconnect with that point and sort of start over, there is hope

I want to tell what the forests
were like

I will have to speak
in a forgotten language

- W. S. Merwin
Old 12-17-2002, 12:47 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It has been said in Rolling Stone magazine, and other sources (http://toolshed.down.net/articles/te...ng.nov.96.html) that Maynard lost his mother at age 11. However, it doesn't take much searching to find a contradiction: http://toolshed.down.net/articles/te...s.nov.96.html.

The bottom line is, lead singer Maynard faced some sort of scarring event at 11, and even his words allude to a death.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

11 tie-in

I found kind of a weird tie-in to Crow's theory of 11 meaning change. I have been reading "A Prayer For Owen Meany," by John Irving. At age 11, the lead character loses his mother in a freak baseball accident. This accident bothers him the rest of his life, and he is constantly trying to reconnect with himself at age 11 to totally understand it. Kinda weird, isn't it? "11 is when she said goodbye" You should read the book, you will understand better then.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:51 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

11:11 significance

check out this link for a whole lot of info on the significance of 11:11.

http://www.crystalinks.com/11.11.html
To find I've known this all along...
Old 12-21-2002, 02:28 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

"Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye. Eleven is standing still, waiting for me to free him by coming home...Hold your light, eleven. Lead me through each gentle step by step by inch by loaded memory 'till one and one are one, eleven, so glow, child, glow." -Tool, "Jimmy" (1996)

Date Of The Attack: 9/11 - 9 + 1 + 1 = 11
September 11th is the 254 day of the year: 2 + 5 + 4 = 11
After September 11th, there are 111 days left until the end of the year
119 is the area code to Iraq: 1 + 1 + 9 = 11
Twin Towers, standing side by side, look like the number 11
The first plane to hit the tower was flight 11

The State of New York was the 11th State to enter the Union
New York City consists of 11 letters
Afghanistan consists of 11 letters
The Pentagon consists of 11 letters
Ramzi Yousef, who was convicted of the first WTC bombing, contains 11 letters

On Flight 11, there were 92 people on board: 9 + 2 = 11
On Flight 77, there were 65 people on board: 6 + 5 = 11

The letters in Osama Bin Laden's name add up to 11.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:07 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

bdog...

did you make all those connections yourself or did you read them somewhere?
Old 12-27-2002, 10:19 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Death is an arm length away

crow's are known to watch death and wait as they are the ones that take your spirit too the other side. Id watch your back buddy.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:55 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Uhhh....

Quote:
Originally posted by bdog
"The letters in Osama Bin Laden's name add up to 11.
The letters in Osama Bin Laden's name (minus the 's) adds up to 13.

Just an observation...
To find I've known this all along...
Old 01-07-2003, 02:24 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Of course Maynard is God. And Danny, and Justin, and Adam, and Trent Reznor...

cmon guys. We have the power of God for we were made in His Image. We are all God, not gods, like in the sense of a being who can throw thunderbolts and demands to be worshipped, but God. Life Energy. Those of us who can perceive it and let it flow through us freely without interruption have made it. Our energy is connected to all other energy. We decided the flow of creation from the beginning and are still deciding it. Kinda dangerous, dont you think, that beings who dont even know they are making decisions are helping direct the universe?
Old 01-09-2003, 01:59 AM   #18
tdn $upporter

Bincount™: 9
about the 9/11 crap.... did anyone mention that jimmy is the ninth song on Ænima?
Old 01-12-2003, 09:01 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Just a thought. Did maynard perhaps lose an Aunt at 11? because the lowercase see you auntie in the linear notes and the lowercase jimmy run together. It is obviously about a serparation when maynard was younger, regardless of death or being pulled away from his aunt. dont forget maynard lived with other relation in Ohio and moved around the time he would start junior high. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

cunt

see you auntie spells c.u.n.t., guys. honest. i really don't think they're really so serious about a lot of things, which i think is why they add dumb little things like that into their art.. so that people will have to second guess them all of the time. so i think maybe next time you think they mean something really deep (your own interpretation), just think, "or they're just bein' funny...", and you'd probably be right.. i'm just not so sure they'd be entirely pleased to see any of you with a calculator (except pity-driven amusement-style) and a graph tryin' to figure out one of their songs.. then again... what the fuck am i doing here...? tryin' to boost my hope for humanity and youth, i guess.. ah, hell.
and if you walk fast enough,
they can't tell what you're wearin'
said they can't tell you've only got so much
no need for composure
Old 01-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
"Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye. Eleven is standing still, waiting for me to free him by coming home...Hold your light, eleven. Lead me through each gentle step by step by inch by loaded memory 'till one and one are one, eleven, so glow, child, glow." -Tool, "Jimmy" (1996)

what is the point in making all those scary/ odd predictions?
All your conspiracy theories go to waste on those who dont see the value of making vague connections and links. Im sure maynard does not have any link/ or prior knowledge of the septmeber 11 events. He is a smart guy, but psychic????

Americans are way too oversensitive, and will look for anything to make themselves feel not so vulnerable. but dont prod around for it in tool lyrics... PLEASE!!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:40 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

but you got to admit that was pretty freaky
Old 01-20-2003, 11:18 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

11th track?

Well i was thinking of how jimmy is about a person who lost touch with his inner child and stuff and how pushit refers to kinda a paradox between two people and stuff...so i was thinking if eleven in jimmy could actually be refering to the 11th track i.e. push it...

think bt it...
Old 01-21-2003, 01:35 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

H Jimmy and third eye

I was thinking about h and jimmy and as we all know they are both parts of James H. Keenans name. Both of the songs refer to a conection of sorts between "things". Jimmy refers to things reuniting while h refers to being conected. They are kind of opposites since H refers to being too conected while jimmy refers to being seperated. As someone else said the 11 may be about 2 things that belong together rather than an age. Then jimmy could be related to H since the letter H looks like 2 conected 1s. This would make sense when Maynard said 11 is where it all began making H the first in a series of songs. Also if you take set of the 3 (1 and 1 and 1) mulitplyed by odd numbers the first 3 numbers would be 3, 9 and 15. H would be 3 (1*3=3) jimmy would be 9 (3*3=9) and third eye would be 15 (5*3=15) . Now third eye comes into play . third eye would be the 3rd 1 in the series of the 3 like maynard said in jimmy (1 and 1 and 1). The title Third eye makes sense since the letter I looks kind of like a 1. This could mean third 1 bringing us back to the 1 and 1 and 1 again. There are some of lyrical conections between jimmy and third eye. He mentions the child again in 3rd eye and also says "bright blue and shimmering" which is kind of like "glow child glow". Then there is the whole "so good to see you I missed you so" which could be refering to one of the three 1's. Then there is the prying open my 3rd eye thing which could mean bring out and find the third piece. So all in all h, jimmy, and third eye could be the 1 and 1 and 1 which is similar to the the trinity (god, jesus, holy spirit) which needs all parts to function. yeah I'm being over analytical.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:43 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

crow, i agree with you on the meaning of the song.,.. i also see 11 everywhere.. it gets annoying sometimes..
Old 02-11-2003, 05:41 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
Re: yeah, cause thats the lyric

Quote:
Originally posted by The Glitch
If anyone's gonna over-analyze the lyrics, the least you can do is get the fucking lyrics right.
if any one is going to criticize the least they can do is correct them too.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:05 PM   #27
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: H Jimmy and third eye

I originally wanted to disagree with your interpretation as to a connection between H jimmy and Third Eye but after finishing your post it makes a lot of sense. Its interesting how you pointed out the look-alike phenomena. I hadn't really thought about that before at least not seriously. Could it be the person you WERE the person you ARE and the person you WILL become? Or are you seeing it as H - Discusses the Denial of a problem that caused the "seperation" of self from self jimmy - the realization that he has himself tried to look at the problem again but its always beentoo painful yet he is ready now to guide himself back to himself Third Eye - finding himself by breaking through the denial and really seeing the whole self for the first time...prying open my third eye could be indicating prying open the third I or future/whole self. I'm still trying to process the ideas discussed so far but this should be a good starting point and I think a good point for further explanation.

This fits in very nicely to what Crow011 had said about the number 11 itself being a sign of change...11 is the tool to finding himself and overcoming this denial (whatever it may in fact turn out to be)...by the way Crow is that the reason you have 011 at the end of your name?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:11 PM   #28
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I knew I would have something else to say just as I hit post and sure enough

The middle part of 3rd Eye really fits this interpretation well...better then I had expected.

Black as holes within a memory = the denial...the lost memory?

Which I attempt to reassemble
To see just who I might have been. = understanding who he was and what he is

I do not recognize the vessel,
But the eyes seem so familiar. = He doesnt recognize because he doesnt remember being that way...as he denied it so

of course the rest of the lyrics when taken in this context seem to reinforce the idea further. Great job on this idea. Like I said its caused me to take another look at those songs in particular...something that hasn't happened in a while.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:14 PM   #29
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718
Re: 11 significance . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by crow011
the numeral 11 to me has always been a recurring thing . . . everywhere i go, 11 is always referenced or something . . . [/B]
I am an 11 (if you buy into numerology)
Aside from that...Do you not notice other reaccurances, coincidences?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #30
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
Re: Re: H Jimmy and third eye

Quote:
Originally posted by ShackledEidolon
...by the way Crow is that the reason you have 011 at the end of your name?
sure is . . .

and yes, grrrl, i do . . . a la "the alchemist" . . .

life is interesting . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 02-23-2003, 12:22 PM   #31
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
wow the h jimmy third eye connection.... thats crazy.... take a look at my thread in here for more 11 connectiosn including tracks on lateralus
Old 02-25-2003, 11:32 PM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1
The time 11:11

I remember when I was younger that when the clocked turned to 11:11 (pm or am) that you were suppose to make a wish. It was I guess a lucky time. Just a little bit of info that might get someone thinking.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Perhaps one and one is the right side of the mind and the left side of the mind... 11 being the combination.

For a long time I thought that this song was in reference to his mother, and losing her.
But, Maynard interchanges he and she throughout this song...
For those of you who have some insight on eastern philosophy, perhaps that will have some meaning to you.

Personally, I believe that the song has some relevanace to the mind of a child, and how a child loses the left side of the mind to reason, and identification of the world.
For the rest of his/her life, a child struggles to reunite their two halves... whether you want to call it 'mind and heart' or 'the left side and right side' or 'yin and yang'.... THAT is the path to some sort of eternal serenity.

'As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.'
Old 03-21-2003, 05:45 PM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

1 and 1 eleven

Relive 11 is the combination of two ones. though what struck me is when he sings "Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye." It sounds like a time like 11:00, I've also found the song to be writen under the perspective of her, and not him!!! When he say's 11 "Hold your light,
Eleven. Lead me through each gentle step by step
by inch by loaded memory." it sounds like the girl trying to make it home and not mynard, It's mynard writing about his true love from her perspective!!!

bye
Old 03-22-2003, 12:34 PM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

The things i posted above are kind of abstract and non conected, mayby someone else can rearange them!!!!1
Old 03-24-2003, 01:32 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Misoanthropos
[B]jimmy is a nickname for james....just in case no one thought of that already

Hehehe...amazing. I was just about to say the same thing...just not with so much hostility

Maybe Maynard went by James as a child, and he wants his childhood back...signigying the Jimmy...maybe...
Old 03-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Something even more freaky:

George Bush Sr. first introduced the term New World Order in a public address, saying "We are now moving into a New World Order." That day was September 11th 1990! Eleven years to the day prior to 9-11. Makes you wonder what the NWOs role was in the attacks.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:27 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
for some reason i always notice the number 444, every where. On clocks, room numbers, locker numbers.
Plus 4/4/4 is going to be my 18th birth day...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #39
Jip
Level 3 - Talker

Pi

Has anyone seen the movie pi? In the movie they discuss how the character, Max, believes that it isnt a coincedence that he keeps coming across a certain number. Another character, a teacher figure, points out that he finds it because he is fixated. Once he has thought of that number and given it signifigance he will find it everywhere. It really ties into this, i think that we are all finding 11 because we want to find 11.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: