Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Spring 2012
User Name
Password
scoop16
01-28-2012, 07:45 AM

I enjoyed the show immensely, could care less if Maynard sings from the back of the stage, or joins the band out front for the farewell. I was on the side, way in the back, and I thought the sound was fine, but then I don't expect a live show to sound just like the cd. Everybody I saw was throwing their hands in the air, bouncing, bobbing, and digging it. The negativity on this thread runs completely counter to my experience of the show. And, if you don't want to spend $50 on a t-shirt you don't have to...sheesh!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.24.2012 - Toledo, OH @ Huntington Centre

I enjoyed the show immensely, could care less if Maynard sings from the back of the stage, or joins the band out front for the farewell. I was on the side, way in the back, and I thought the sound was fine, but then I don't expect a live show to sound just like the cd. Everybody I saw was throwing their hands in the air, bouncing, bobbing, and digging it. The negativity on this thread runs completely counter to my experience of the show. And, if you don't want to spend $50 on a t-shirt you don't have to...sheesh!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
sirscroddy
01-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offskooring View Post
i don't think you can have tool without maynard, it would be like Zepellin without plant...that's not to say people are wrong about his attitude...that said, i'll take a lazy apathetic maynard anyday
Word.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offskooring View Post
i don't think you can have tool without maynard, it would be like Zepellin without plant...that's not to say people are wrong about his attitude...that said, i'll take a lazy apathetic maynard anyday
Word.
01-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthewood View Post
I am looking for one signed poster for this show, PLEASE pm me if you can help.
Hey, remember when you were trying to sell tickets to this show for $300? I do. I'll sell you my signed poster for $1500. E-mail me if this sounds like the deal of the century.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthewood View Post
I am looking for one signed poster for this show, PLEASE pm me if you can help.
Hey, remember when you were trying to sell tickets to this show for $300? I do. I'll sell you my signed poster for $1500. E-mail me if this sounds like the deal of the century.
coolpixer
01-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Keenan has often been known to be situated on a platform towards the rear of the stage, without a spotlight, facing the backdrop rather than the audience. Breckinridge Haggerty, the band's live video director, says that the dark spaces on stage "are mostly for Maynard". He explains, "a lot of the songs are a personal journey for him and he has a hard time with the glare of the lights when he’s trying to reproduce these emotions for the audience. He needs a bit of personal space, and he feels more comfortable in the shadows."
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Keenan has often been known to be situated on a platform towards the rear of the stage, without a spotlight, facing the backdrop rather than the audience. Breckinridge Haggerty, the band's live video director, says that the dark spaces on stage "are mostly for Maynard". He explains, "a lot of the songs are a personal journey for him and he has a hard time with the glare of the lights when he’s trying to reproduce these emotions for the audience. He needs a bit of personal space, and he feels more comfortable in the shadows."
the usual's Avatar the usual
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes.1265 View Post
I drove 3 hours as well, and due to 'Knife' from Detroit , obviously got screwed out of "The Pot"-(was hoping for Parabol/Parabola but either would of been better than none!)
Got ahold of Floor6 tickets in 7th row, sound wasn't terrible but clipped a couple times during Push-it( note: Maynard refrained from the 'staring down the hole again' verse), and the megaphone he uses was drowned out during Ticks & Leeches. Adam had guitar issues during the second verse of Push-it, not sure wether a string broke or what, but switched guitars and chatted with tech for a sec during volume swell part. When Maynard was audible he sounded fantastic, Intension blew me away! Good to see Hooker and Ticks; but absolute highlights was the new jam before Schism and the drum dueling in Lateralus, best Danny has ever fed off, as I've ever seen. Junior's new digi-screen is out of this world, tried to say hi and thanks while walking out but he just kept his head down and ignored....?
I give this show a B+ @ best... But I tend to gauge on my experience from their 09/14/2001 Columbus,Oh show.... Of which really can't be topped.
Btw, got the entire audio.
Oh yea, and the last 'F you buddy!', was 'F you Toledo!'...
I was at that 9/14/11 show....
The Patient was amazing that night.
That was my first Tool show ever!
I enjoyed the show in Toledo as well.....
Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes.1265 View Post
I drove 3 hours as well, and due to 'Knife' from Detroit , obviously got screwed out of "The Pot"-(was hoping for Parabol/Parabola but either would of been better than none!)
Got ahold of Floor6 tickets in 7th row, sound wasn't terrible but clipped a couple times during Push-it( note: Maynard refrained from the 'staring down the hole again' verse), and the megaphone he uses was drowned out during Ticks & Leeches. Adam had guitar issues during the second verse of Push-it, not sure wether a string broke or what, but switched guitars and chatted with tech for a sec during volume swell part. When Maynard was audible he sounded fantastic, Intension blew me away! Good to see Hooker and Ticks; but absolute highlights was the new jam before Schism and the drum dueling in Lateralus, best Danny has ever fed off, as I've ever seen. Junior's new digi-screen is out of this world, tried to say hi and thanks while walking out but he just kept his head down and ignored....?
I give this show a B+ @ best... But I tend to gauge on my experience from their 09/14/2001 Columbus,Oh show.... Of which really can't be topped.
Btw, got the entire audio.
Oh yea, and the last 'F you buddy!', was 'F you Toledo!'...
I was at that 9/14/11 show....
The Patient was amazing that night.
That was my first Tool show ever!
I enjoyed the show in Toledo as well.....
jaggermeister
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM

oh yeah.

my zillionth tool show.

i think they can finally record and release an HD DVD/BLURAY and be fully confident that the product will do them justice.

short set. awesome visuals. maynard hates us. tool rocks.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

oh yeah.

my zillionth tool show.

i think they can finally record and release an HD DVD/BLURAY and be fully confident that the product will do them justice.

short set. awesome visuals. maynard hates us. tool rocks.
02-10-2012, 11:42 PM

i am so glad i got to hear ticks and leeches at this show. they pretty much stopped playing it towards the end of the tour
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

i am so glad i got to hear ticks and leeches at this show. they pretty much stopped playing it towards the end of the tour

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply