Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2010
User Name
Password
VinDieselFiesta
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Holy. Fucking. Shit. What an amazing show, far superior in my opinion to the night before. chilling in row 9 this time on danny & justin's side, perfect angle for watching DC fucking destroy that kit. WAY louder than the first night, i felt the energy in the place was insanely more substantial as soon as the band came out and went in to third eye. third eye is a phenomenal opener and i would love to see it again. very very very epic, did i mention i caught danny and justin just grinning the biggest smiles at each other during this one, maynard talking to danny for a bit, danny just smiling back at him. jambi rocked as did the night before, even though they did that weird 3 or 4 second extended ending thing. stinkfist was great, they've got that song nailed to the fucking teeth it's pretty much perfect. vicarious kinda felt like we were just going through the motions like the previous night, nothing special except awesome visuals (thanks JR.) this was the moment where i knew if they were gonna change it up, it was gonna be now or never. and sure fucking enough INTENSION starts. i believe i was the only person anywhere near me that knew how epic this was that we were being witnesses of the first ever full performance of this song in it's entirety, vocals and all. i went absolutely apeshit for a moment and noone had any idea why i was so excited for what seemed to be just another ambience'ish segue-intro to another song. i quieted down and listened with all of my heart and tried to take in every second to it's fullest potential and let me tell you that song is AWESOME. very technically challenging for danny and justin and it was very cool watching them lay it down. danny again smiling the entire time at justin, seemed to be loving every second of it as much as i was myself. then of course in to right in two, which was my second time seeing it live. i think this is a great song and i'd love to see tool put it out there a little bit more than they do. everybody else seemed to really dig it, minus a few drunk jackasses screaming the entire show for sober. schism with the extended double time break down, was phenomenal as always, love watching danny beast out on this one. right as i was expecting 46&2 to start pumping out, justin thuds out the heavy ass intro notes to flood, FUCK YES. although i saw flood twice on the 2007 tour, i was super stoked that they decided to shake up the setlist this much from the night before, i honestly didn't even think we'd see a single song change up. the new lighting rig really contributes to making this song a very powerful companion to the set. and then again intermission into lateralus w/dalek guesting in the jam break down which i thought was very entertaining even though you could barely hear anything they contributed to the song, mainly just ambience noise. mainly the song was phenomenal to watch go down. danny shatters my head in half every time with that epic gong hit. aenema closer was perfect, compared to the night before where they fucking butchered the ending. crowd seemed to love it, the band seemed to love it, and i'd say this was probably my best/favorite tool show yet. i'm seriously considering trying to get to another show on this tour. i had 3 friends over the 2 nights that had never seen them live before and they basically felt like they had some sort of super intense religious experience at the shows, all 3 being absolutely speechless when asked what they thought of the show. thanks again Tool & Co for yet again proving me wrong when I ask how could your live shows ever possibly continue to get any more amazing.

BTW on a side note, was anyone else baffled by the amount of deadhead hippies were in attendance of both nights? jesus christ, when did tool become so attractive to all these brain fried jam band crunchy groove folk?

Last edited by VinDieselFiesta; 07-02-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: 06.29.2010 - Denver, CO @ Red Rocks

Holy. Fucking. Shit. What an amazing show, far superior in my opinion to the night before. chilling in row 9 this time on danny & justin's side, perfect angle for watching DC fucking destroy that kit. WAY louder than the first night, i felt the energy in the place was insanely more substantial as soon as the band came out and went in to third eye. third eye is a phenomenal opener and i would love to see it again. very very very epic, did i mention i caught danny and justin just grinning the biggest smiles at each other during this one, maynard talking to danny for a bit, danny just smiling back at him. jambi rocked as did the night before, even though they did that weird 3 or 4 second extended ending thing. stinkfist was great, they've got that song nailed to the fucking teeth it's pretty much perfect. vicarious kinda felt like we were just going through the motions like the previous night, nothing special except awesome visuals (thanks JR.) this was the moment where i knew if they were gonna change it up, it was gonna be now or never. and sure fucking enough INTENSION starts. i believe i was the only person anywhere near me that knew how epic this was that we were being witnesses of the first ever full performance of this song in it's entirety, vocals and all. i went absolutely apeshit for a moment and noone had any idea why i was so excited for what seemed to be just another ambience'ish segue-intro to another song. i quieted down and listened with all of my heart and tried to take in every second to it's fullest potential and let me tell you that song is AWESOME. very technically challenging for danny and justin and it was very cool watching them lay it down. danny again smiling the entire time at justin, seemed to be loving every second of it as much as i was myself. then of course in to right in two, which was my second time seeing it live. i think this is a great song and i'd love to see tool put it out there a little bit more than they do. everybody else seemed to really dig it, minus a few drunk jackasses screaming the entire show for sober. schism with the extended double time break down, was phenomenal as always, love watching danny beast out on this one. right as i was expecting 46&2 to start pumping out, justin thuds out the heavy ass intro notes to flood, FUCK YES. although i saw flood twice on the 2007 tour, i was super stoked that they decided to shake up the setlist this much from the night before, i honestly didn't even think we'd see a single song change up. the new lighting rig really contributes to making this song a very powerful companion to the set. and then again intermission into lateralus w/dalek guesting in the jam break down which i thought was very entertaining even though you could barely hear anything they contributed to the song, mainly just ambience noise. mainly the song was phenomenal to watch go down. danny shatters my head in half every time with that epic gong hit. aenema closer was perfect, compared to the night before where they fucking butchered the ending. crowd seemed to love it, the band seemed to love it, and i'd say this was probably my best/favorite tool show yet. i'm seriously considering trying to get to another show on this tour. i had 3 friends over the 2 nights that had never seen them live before and they basically felt like they had some sort of super intense religious experience at the shows, all 3 being absolutely speechless when asked what they thought of the show. thanks again Tool & Co for yet again proving me wrong when I ask how could your live shows ever possibly continue to get any more amazing.

BTW on a side note, was anyone else baffled by the amount of deadhead hippies were in attendance of both nights? jesus christ, when did tool become so attractive to all these brain fried jam band crunchy groove folk?

Last edited by VinDieselFiesta; 07-02-2010 at 01:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
BOXCAR
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

So would you concert goers say you got a full 7 minute Intension? (Just read above) but please confirm.

Last edited by BOXCAR; 07-02-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

So would you concert goers say you got a full 7 minute Intension? (Just read above) but please confirm.

Last edited by BOXCAR; 07-02-2010 at 01:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
VinDieselFiesta
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXCAR View Post
yes, in it's entirety for the first time. epic.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
yes, in it's entirety for the first time. epic.
07-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Guaranteed my friend. And they dominated it. Absolute brilliance..
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Guaranteed my friend. And they dominated it. Absolute brilliance..
OFFLINE |  
jvalentine's Avatar jvalentine
07-03-2010, 07:10 AM

I was at the opening show in New Orleans and it was amazing....but according to these reviews I missed an EPIC night :(

"BTW on a side note, was anyone else baffled by the amount of deadhead hippies were in attendance of both nights? jesus christ, when did tool become so attractive to all these brain fried jam band crunchy groove folk?"........i think tool is one of the few bands that anyone who loves music will like

Last edited by jvalentine; 07-03-2010 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: added
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

I was at the opening show in New Orleans and it was amazing....but according to these reviews I missed an EPIC night :(

"BTW on a side note, was anyone else baffled by the amount of deadhead hippies were in attendance of both nights? jesus christ, when did tool become so attractive to all these brain fried jam band crunchy groove folk?"........i think tool is one of the few bands that anyone who loves music will like

Last edited by jvalentine; 07-03-2010 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: added
OFFLINE |  
merkaboy
07-03-2010, 11:02 AM

drove almost 24 hours straight, from Portland, Or. my first time to the absolutely breathtaking red rocks amphitheater. my 20th tool show and hands down, the all time greatest!!!! and especially after last year, im surprised im saying that!

night one-

the entire red rocks park is amazing, my only complaint is you'd think they'd have developed a better way to get in and out of that place. we missed wovenhand cause we were waiting in line. and for the love of bob, GPS mark your car when you get there, cause afterwords in the dark, its much much harder to remember. we walked all over that mountain for at least an hour before we found the car! lol

we were in the 13th row, almost dead center, and guess who was passing the pipe (and then a joint lol) directly 2 rows right in front of me?? none other than Dt. Stabler himself, Christopher Meloni!! i knew he was a big tool fan and friends with the guys, but that was just cool as hell. then security came over and rushed him and his friends backstage.

the lights went down and timothy leary's face and voice materialized. i still dont really know what to say to accurately describe the feeling of finally letting the greatest song ever recorded, wash over me for the first time since '98. the next 15 minutes were probably the most completely overwhelming of my entire life, and im not afraid to say i cried a little lol
the other two highlights as you all know of course, the patient and intolerence, were absolutely spot on.
the lateralus jam with that wovenhand japanese(?) guy was pretty sweet. i like how his son who looked liked short round lol came out and watched and adam went up and high fived him.
maynard seemed soooo much more into it than he was last year. i know alot of it WAS because of red rocks, but that really was the most amazing thing ive ever seen!! the guys were sooooooooo tight. the visuals were mindblowing!!! the guys were having fun and the crowd seemed very appreciative.

now to start the seemingly endless quest to find my car.

*a note about monday night, that was the easiest security check ive ever seen! no metal detector, lazy pat down and thats it. no one was getting busted for pot or cameras. not so with the cameras on tuesday! the security guards were replaced with nazi look alikes who hated recording devices as if they were Aldo "the apache"!! i still got some shots but they were busting people for taking them AFTER the last song, as danny and justin were waving goodbye!! fucks!

night 2

ill keep this short, more of the same amazing awesomeness, with the exception of the inclusion of FLOOD!!! and INTENSION FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!! and RIGHT IN TWO!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missed delek cause of the entrance line again. the lateralus solo seemed like a really interesting idea IN THEORY, but i didn't really think they added a whole lot unfortunately. maynard passing them his bottle was cool though :)
I will never again miss a tool show at red rocks!!!!

almost forgot, christopher meloni pushed passed us in the 8th row, at the end of Aenema, on tuesday lol awesome!!!

if anyone has any great pics of these shows or red rocks park itself, id love to trade!!!!!

THANK YOU TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SEE YOU IN SEATTLE AND VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"this is the last song, so you all can put your clothes on...that means you chris." LOL

8/21/98 * 8/5/01 * 8/6/01 * 8/7/01 * 8/8/01 * 11/6/01 * 11/8/01 * 7/20/02 * 10/2/02 * 10/3/02 * 5/2/06 * 8/27/06 * 12/4/07 * 12/5/07 * 12/7/07 * 12/8/07 * 7/19/09 * 6/28/10 * 6/29/10 * 7/9/10 * 7/10/10 * 7/13/10
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

drove almost 24 hours straight, from Portland, Or. my first time to the absolutely breathtaking red rocks amphitheater. my 20th tool show and hands down, the all time greatest!!!! and especially after last year, im surprised im saying that!

night one-

the entire red rocks park is amazing, my only complaint is you'd think they'd have developed a better way to get in and out of that place. we missed wovenhand cause we were waiting in line. and for the love of bob, GPS mark your car when you get there, cause afterwords in the dark, its much much harder to remember. we walked all over that mountain for at least an hour before we found the car! lol

we were in the 13th row, almost dead center, and guess who was passing the pipe (and then a joint lol) directly 2 rows right in front of me?? none other than Dt. Stabler himself, Christopher Meloni!! i knew he was a big tool fan and friends with the guys, but that was just cool as hell. then security came over and rushed him and his friends backstage.

the lights went down and timothy leary's face and voice materialized. i still dont really know what to say to accurately describe the feeling of finally letting the greatest song ever recorded, wash over me for the first time since '98. the next 15 minutes were probably the most completely overwhelming of my entire life, and im not afraid to say i cried a little lol
the other two highlights as you all know of course, the patient and intolerence, were absolutely spot on.
the lateralus jam with that wovenhand japanese(?) guy was pretty sweet. i like how his son who looked liked short round lol came out and watched and adam went up and high fived him.
maynard seemed soooo much more into it than he was last year. i know alot of it WAS because of red rocks, but that really was the most amazing thing ive ever seen!! the guys were sooooooooo tight. the visuals were mindblowing!!! the guys were having fun and the crowd seemed very appreciative.

now to start the seemingly endless quest to find my car.

*a note about monday night, that was the easiest security check ive ever seen! no metal detector, lazy pat down and thats it. no one was getting busted for pot or cameras. not so with the cameras on tuesday! the security guards were replaced with nazi look alikes who hated recording devices as if they were Aldo "the apache"!! i still got some shots but they were busting people for taking them AFTER the last song, as danny and justin were waving goodbye!! fucks!

night 2

ill keep this short, more of the same amazing awesomeness, with the exception of the inclusion of FLOOD!!! and INTENSION FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!! and RIGHT IN TWO!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missed delek cause of the entrance line again. the lateralus solo seemed like a really interesting idea IN THEORY, but i didn't really think they added a whole lot unfortunately. maynard passing them his bottle was cool though :)
I will never again miss a tool show at red rocks!!!!

almost forgot, christopher meloni pushed passed us in the 8th row, at the end of Aenema, on tuesday lol awesome!!!

if anyone has any great pics of these shows or red rocks park itself, id love to trade!!!!!

THANK YOU TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SEE YOU IN SEATTLE AND VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"this is the last song, so you all can put your clothes on...that means you chris." LOL

8/21/98 * 8/5/01 * 8/6/01 * 8/7/01 * 8/8/01 * 11/6/01 * 11/8/01 * 7/20/02 * 10/2/02 * 10/3/02 * 5/2/06 * 8/27/06 * 12/4/07 * 12/5/07 * 12/7/07 * 12/8/07 * 7/19/09 * 6/28/10 * 6/29/10 * 7/9/10 * 7/10/10 * 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
ckritik
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Wow. This is a little late, but it's the thought that counts. First off, Red Rocks + Tool = win. I've never seen/felt/heard/everything that epic. Ever. It blew my mind then and I'm still dreaming about it now. This was, undoubtedly, the best Tool concert that my brother and I have been to so far. We were in row 13 almost dead center (only five seats away from the mixing station), which was (at least for us) the best. We were close enough to see everyone (my brother's a HUGE fan of Adam, as I am of Justin) but still far enough away to enjoy the visuals. And enjoy we did.
Starting out with Third Eye was amazing. Incredible. Brilliant. When Leary's voice/face popped up, the whole place went nuts, myself included. The rest of the set was just as awesome and I, like quite a few around me, was moved to tears on more than one occasion. Full Intension/Right in Two took it home, though. My brother and I literally had to sit down after the pair. As for the band itself, they rocked, like always. Danny's a fucking monster, no doubt. Maynard's vocals were amazing and he seemed to be enjoying himself (R2D2!!). Adam was incredible (my brother said it was "the best fucking playing" he'd seen) and Justin both rocked it and proved that he's unquestionably the best bassist out there. :) Thanks, guys, and we'll see you again soon.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow. This is a little late, but it's the thought that counts. First off, Red Rocks + Tool = win. I've never seen/felt/heard/everything that epic. Ever. It blew my mind then and I'm still dreaming about it now. This was, undoubtedly, the best Tool concert that my brother and I have been to so far. We were in row 13 almost dead center (only five seats away from the mixing station), which was (at least for us) the best. We were close enough to see everyone (my brother's a HUGE fan of Adam, as I am of Justin) but still far enough away to enjoy the visuals. And enjoy we did.
Starting out with Third Eye was amazing. Incredible. Brilliant. When Leary's voice/face popped up, the whole place went nuts, myself included. The rest of the set was just as awesome and I, like quite a few around me, was moved to tears on more than one occasion. Full Intension/Right in Two took it home, though. My brother and I literally had to sit down after the pair. As for the band itself, they rocked, like always. Danny's a fucking monster, no doubt. Maynard's vocals were amazing and he seemed to be enjoying himself (R2D2!!). Adam was incredible (my brother said it was "the best fucking playing" he'd seen) and Justin both rocked it and proved that he's unquestionably the best bassist out there. :) Thanks, guys, and we'll see you again soon.
OFFLINE |  
ladycommish's Avatar ladycommish
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM

I enjoyed all the pretty lights. flood made me feel like I was underwater, both deep and shallow.
what a treat it was to hear and see intension into right in two.

excellent. glad I went both nights.

Last edited by ladycommish; 07-03-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #48
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

I enjoyed all the pretty lights. flood made me feel like I was underwater, both deep and shallow.
what a treat it was to hear and see intension into right in two.

excellent. glad I went both nights.

Last edited by ladycommish; 07-03-2010 at 04:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
07-04-2010, 03:30 AM

Going to make this one short and once again really glad that i was able to make these 2 shows.

It was finally amazing to hear Intension in its entirety and to be followed by Right in Two was just perfect but that's not all folks... then GD FLOOD!!!

Awesome set and the lights were awesome Jr. Thank you and the entire crew that does what you do to make these shows happen. You guys are very much a huge part of this whole experience. The crowd as well just did it for me. No one was a real douche around me this time around which made for a better night. My seat was in Row 32 Seat 133 but you can read where i ended up in the review for the first night.

Hung out with great friends and met some new cool people and scored some posters. All in all a great and positive experience.

Thanks again to everyone and i'll see you in S.F., S.D., Vegas and the L.A. shows
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 07-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Going to make this one short and once again really glad that i was able to make these 2 shows.

It was finally amazing to hear Intension in its entirety and to be followed by Right in Two was just perfect but that's not all folks... then GD FLOOD!!!

Awesome set and the lights were awesome Jr. Thank you and the entire crew that does what you do to make these shows happen. You guys are very much a huge part of this whole experience. The crowd as well just did it for me. No one was a real douche around me this time around which made for a better night. My seat was in Row 32 Seat 133 but you can read where i ended up in the review for the first night.

Hung out with great friends and met some new cool people and scored some posters. All in all a great and positive experience.

Thanks again to everyone and i'll see you in S.F., S.D., Vegas and the L.A. shows
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
ultratang7
07-05-2010, 09:23 AM

The best show I've ever seen. Amplified by hallucinegens, it was absolutely breath-taking. It was as if the band was playing with the audience, like we were all puppets dangling on strings. I will never ever forget this one, or this venue. It truly was a special moment in time, like real Magic. I was in row 50, seat one, in the corner, so I had a good view of the whole crowd, and I loved the way the lights would light up the crowd, who really seemed to be "in the moment", every once in a while. The light show was bad-ass. Favorite song of the night- Laterulus(of course, lol) followed by RI2. I'm still in awe a week later. Probably one of the most amazing expiriences of my life. No, definately. P.S I really enjoyed the opening act, It was like nothing I've ever heard, like melodic(?) chaos. Maybe it was the "enhancers", but I was gettin' down on that shit!

Last edited by ultratang7; 07-05-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

The best show I've ever seen. Amplified by hallucinegens, it was absolutely breath-taking. It was as if the band was playing with the audience, like we were all puppets dangling on strings. I will never ever forget this one, or this venue. It truly was a special moment in time, like real Magic. I was in row 50, seat one, in the corner, so I had a good view of the whole crowd, and I loved the way the lights would light up the crowd, who really seemed to be "in the moment", every once in a while. The light show was bad-ass. Favorite song of the night- Laterulus(of course, lol) followed by RI2. I'm still in awe a week later. Probably one of the most amazing expiriences of my life. No, definately. P.S I really enjoyed the opening act, It was like nothing I've ever heard, like melodic(?) chaos. Maybe it was the "enhancers", but I was gettin' down on that shit!

Last edited by ultratang7; 07-05-2010 at 09:33 AM..
OFFLINE |  
misguided
07-06-2010, 06:41 AM

There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said here. I just had a brief observation. This is show # 12 & 13 for me and show # 5 & 6 outside of utah. I noticed AGAIN maynard puts a lot more in to a show when he is not in utah! Guess I will see if this proves true again in vegas!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said here. I just had a brief observation. This is show # 12 & 13 for me and show # 5 & 6 outside of utah. I noticed AGAIN maynard puts a lot more in to a show when he is not in utah! Guess I will see if this proves true again in vegas!
OFFLINE |  
LAWSONMILLIKEN
07-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentine View Post

I bet I heard a dozen different people talking about the Widespread Panic show the weekend before. They were all over for sure..
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalentine View Post

I bet I heard a dozen different people talking about the Widespread Panic show the weekend before. They were all over for sure..
OFFLINE |  
VinDieselFiesta
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM

did anybody acquire any decent pictures from the two nights or know of any floating around out there? i would kill for gorgeous pic of those lazers during lateralus shooting out over the crowd during lateralus...
Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

did anybody acquire any decent pictures from the two nights or know of any floating around out there? i would kill for gorgeous pic of those lazers during lateralus shooting out over the crowd during lateralus...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply