opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 11-25-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Music Between Bands

I was just wondering if anyone knows the Artist or names of the songs being played between the opening band (Tomahawk, Meshuggah.) and Tool. All it is is a bassline no words or anything verbal. As far as I can remember it's just bass.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:28 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

im not quite sure about ALL the music played in-between bands. however, i know that MOST of it is an incredible band called S K I N N Y P U P P Y. the album being played is called T H E P R O C E S S. i cannot find an offical site (probably because the band has been de-funct since 95-96) but there is an incredible resource site at:
http://userpages.aug.com/sgraham/
they have been around a LONG time, so there is quite a large amount of information on this band and related artists. i personally own six of their albums and deffinetly recommend them to anyone who is curious.

just a quick side-note about S K I N N Y P U P P Y......according to "offical" sources Danny is going to contribute drum tracks for the NEW!! SP album. you see, shortly after SP broke up, Dwayne, the keyboardist passed away (heroin overdose, i THINK), the band released what they had left, thus "the process." ever since then there has been TALK of a "reunion" but nothing has come since then except a show in Dresden, Germany in 2000. but according to "official" sources, the band is in the studio working on a new record and a 2003 world tour. now that the TOOL tour is over im sure Danny will have have the time to work with them.

if you search and dig through the dissectional site you will come across a list of Danny's top 10 favoirte albums. SP is included in this short list.

deffinetly check them out.

-s p i r a l - o u t - k e e p - g o i n g-
Old 11-25-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

I listened to a couple of the songs off of the album you mentioned, and I don't think it was the same thing that Zerocool997 was talking about.

When I saw the Oct. 20 show in East Lansing I am positive that there were no words in the music before Meshuggah and between Meshuggah and Tool. It was more of a downtempo ambient beat.

If anybody else knows please let me know, because I would be interested in knowing who that was.

-rob
Old 11-27-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

the concert that i attended in the quad cities they played a song that metallica has on their s&m album, extacy of gold. its an instrumental piece with just the new york symphony orchrstra. in madison however i do believe they played some skinny puppy.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

i think i know what you're talking about.

i saw tool 3 times this year and they played the same piece of music right before the lights went down. it's a really tense, building electronic instrumental piece. as soon as they started playing at all 3 shows i went to the crowd got really excited, because it was played noticeably louder than all the skinny puppy stuff, almost at full volume, as though it was part of the show, but before the lights went out.

if thats what we're talking about here, i'd like to know too, because it's an incredible piece of music.

is it done by tool or another artist?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Quote:
Originally posted by Un Lapin
i think i know what you're talking about.

i saw tool 3 times this year and they played the same piece of music right before the lights went down. it's a really tense, building electronic instrumental piece. as soon as they started playing at all 3 shows i went to the crowd got really excited, because it was played noticeably louder than all the skinny puppy stuff, almost at full volume, as though it was part of the show, but before the lights went out.

if thats what we're talking about here, i'd like to know too, because it's an incredible piece of music.

is it done by tool or another artist?
That's a soundscape by King Crimson's Robert Fripp. I'm not sure of the exact title, but that should narrow it down considerably.

They played it just before the lights went out at every 2001 and 2002 show, excluding the first four US Pre-Seminal shows.

HTH.

Thanks.
Chris Brightwell // moderator
Old 11-27-2002, 05:03 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

indeed that does narrow it down! :)

now, does anyone have a title?
Old 11-28-2002, 07:10 PM   #8
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Un Lapin
indeed that does narrow it down! :)

now, does anyone have a title?

I would also like to know the name. I listend to a few samples of Fripp at cdnow but couldn't find it.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:24 PM   #9
ATG
Level 4 - Thinker

Other featured artists played before TOOL and the opening band are Dead Can Dance and Download. So i hear.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:41 PM   #10

Bincount™: 3
Fripp soundscape

I also have gone to cdnow and listened to a lot of the fripp soundscapes.... i couldnt find anything that sounded like the entry track...ive seen them 6 times in the past year and a half of touring, and id love to know what this track is. If anyone out there has the track name, i would really like to know, thanks Spiral out
Old 12-01-2002, 07:52 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

are we talking about the flute thing that they enter their first song to or the thing before that?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:07 PM   #12
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Saul T Bauls
are we talking about the flute thing that they enter their first song to or the thing before that?

The music before that.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:27 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally posted by Saul T Bauls
we are talking about the pre-show music.

after the crew plays the skinny puppy/industrial medley cd a few times and everything's set up, they switch to this piece of music that everyone here seems to love and that get the crowd really pumped. that's the mystery we're trying to solve
Old 12-02-2002, 05:48 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

that music in between...

now i'm not quite sure exactly the names of the bands (much less the song titles) of any of the tracks in between set changes BUT the general style of music is drum & bass. there are tons of the stuff around (it being my favorite type of electronic music) i'd suggest the following to get you started on an interested/curious tip: roni size/reprazent, plug, squarepusher and maybe the bowling green. i read somewhere that the tool guys liked a particular drum & bass artist -- now just to remember what it was...?? ;)
Old 12-02-2002, 09:37 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

The music on the Tours Revealed

Ont eh 2000 tour you hear the very "Lost Boys" style song called "2000" by Robert Fripp off of his album "1999" unfortunately the intro to this years concerts is not the song "2002" off of the same album. hope this helps

Ghost
Old 12-03-2002, 12:00 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

I Know The Intro Music!!!!!!

the intro music to this years concerts was Tuvan throat singing a style of singing native to TUVA a small small country, the actual song is :

shu-de - Styles of Throat singing

I hope you guys download this and get taken back to the times you saw the guys live and get that feeling all over again

Ghost
Old 12-03-2002, 07:55 AM   #17
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

You are right, that is the music that is played right before their first song. But we were looking for the drum and bass music that was played before the opening band and durring the set changes.

Thanks for the help, that is some interesting music. I had no idea what is was or where it was from.

-rob
Old 12-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

ahhh i see, well i guess its off to downloaing more music to find it all, haha. The Shu - de song is known by another name as well, if anyone wants this song its the first song off of this album :

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver.../ITEMID=369588

Ghost
Old 12-03-2002, 02:56 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is it! blueghost wins the golden calf. KUDOS!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:34 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Music between bands

Well they do play that song but it's not the one I'm looking for. That one is played when the lights go off I'm looking for the song while the lights are on when they are still srtting up the stage. I don't think it is something by Fripp since most the stuff I've heard of his sounds different. The song I'm looking for is more uptempo and has one prominent bassline.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:59 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

oh.....well that was the one i was looking for :)
Old 12-03-2002, 06:54 PM   #22
Paradigm Shifter (tdn $upporter)

i asked a guard at the oakland concert about this very piece of music, because the girl i went with, and i, were WAY into it.

he said that it is a custom piece of music created for tool and is not available anywhere..

now, of course, who knows if this guard is a reliable source, but from the previous responses in this thread, it doesnt sound too out of the quesiton.

but i would LOVE to find out if there IS a way to get it...

kabir, wanna pull some strings? heh
Old 12-03-2002, 08:33 PM   #23

Bincount™: 6
Now I don't want to be one to "ABUSE ANY LINKS" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but there is a certain website out there with lots of live tool, and this pre-show song was recorded by one of the good attendee's at the Boulder show...
Old 12-04-2002, 09:40 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

music between bands

so whats the site? I'm so anxious to find this song. I heard the song first @ the Radio City show in NYC then @ the NJ show then went I went to the Halloween show i was looking forward to hearing it again. It is a great piece of music and I'd love to be able to put it on a cd or even buy the cd.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:42 AM   #25
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet
Now I don't want to be one to "ABUSE ANY LINKS" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but there is a certain website out there with lots of live tool, and this pre-show song was recorded by one of the good attendee's at the Boulder show...
I know the one you are talking about and listened to it, but I still don't think that is the one. How can one song be so illusive?
Old 12-04-2002, 02:56 PM   #26

buildup song

I was listening to a live show i have, and the taper caught some of the song in question.... he just got the last minute or so of it before the lighs went out and the throat singing came on....Its so great to hear just minute of it, i really must get a "studio" version of it though because i coud listen to that all day long
Old 12-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #27
ATG
Level 4 - Thinker

that CDNOW link is giving me nothing.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:43 PM   #28

Bincount™: 6
I'm pretty sure the one I'm talking about is it. It's on www.deadohiosky.net for those wondering. I heard it both at little rock and at biloxi, so this has to be the one, else I'm at a loss...
Old 12-04-2002, 10:24 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
music before Tool shows

Yea, i too am interested in figuring out what the music is before Tool comes on stage. I saw them 5 times this tour, and there are a lot of similiarities. The last song (being attributed to Fripp) is one, but the entire canned-music set between bands is duplicated. you don't notice it all unless you see them again and again and again....

Also, we are fairly certain that the first song that plays after the lights come up after Tool is Maynard saying, "That's it. Go Home. get......the.....fuck.....out...." over and over again. anyone know for sure??
Old 12-05-2002, 10:44 AM   #30
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

Re: music before Tool shows

Quote:
Originally posted by kette

Also, we are fairly certain that the first song that plays after the lights come up after Tool is Maynard saying, "That's it. Go Home. get......the.....fuck.....out...." over and over again. anyone know for sure??

I remember that part too, but I wasn't exactly sure what they were saying. I thought it was something like, go home...get drunk...go home...get drunk. But I dunno.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:36 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Music Between Bands

Man this song is too hard to find. Everyone keeps thinking I'm talking about that Robert Fripp piece. The only way I can describe the song i that it is all bass atleast thats all I heard over the crowd. The bass has a sort of fretless Pink Floyd "Hey You" type sound. And it's just a bassline going all over the place. I dunno hopefully this song will be tracked down because I think it's an amazing piece.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:32 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

skinny puppy

i didn't read all of the second page, but to give you more information about skinny puppy:

the SP songs played between sets are "death" and "cellar heat" ... yes, download is also played (another cEvin key project) as well as one song by ohGr (ogre's new band) ... both puppy songs are from the album _the process_

the process was not simply what they had at the time ... when dwayne died, cEvin decided to finish mastering the album in his honor. it took him a few days. so the album was almost done anyway.

in 1996, they released a 2 disc set called brap... one disc was a lot of early recordings (unreleased studio and live) ... the other disc was later demo versions and live versions, and is pretty hard to listen to in my opinion (and i have all the skinny puppy cds that i am aware of)

beyond the process being on danny's shortlist of favorite albums, cEvin key is listed as one of his most respected percussionists (on toolarmy)

i recommend everyone check out skinny puppy. over the years their sound changed a lot, so odds are you'll fall in love with at least one of their albums. they're one of those bands that you can't really understand until you've heard everything they've done, from the beginning to the end.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:08 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Is it?

Maybe I am just a monkey, and maybe I smoke crack, but could it be possible that this super elusive mystery song that plays before Tool has never been realesed? Maybe thats part of the funny, someone mixes a super hot beat bash that everyone will love, but nobody tells you what it is or where to get it. However, because the hunt is so much fun, I will send a free noble fir carcass to whoever finds the song and hosts it for download...
good luck all
Old 12-07-2002, 10:21 AM   #34
FDO
Level 1 - Lurker

i read somewhere

that it was "timesteps" taken from the clockwork orange soundtrack.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:06 PM   #35

hmmm

Just downloaded Timesteps..... not the one im lookin for, though it is a pretty cool track.... this song is really elusive!
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

the songs

the songs are Squarepusher. some of them anyway. look for this on Kazaa of winmx or whatever

Squarepusher - Drum And Bass 2000

ill post a new htread also incase no one reads this one. so that make blueghost 2 , you guys 0. :) jk
Old 12-11-2002, 08:23 AM   #37
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

Re: the songs

Quote:
Originally posted by blueghost
the songs are Squarepusher. some of them anyway. look for this on Kazaa of winmx or whatever

ill post a new htread also incase no one reads this one. so that make blueghost 2 , you guys 0. :) jk

Holly *hit blueghost, that is it. You are my new hero. This song rocks. Thanks again, you the greatest.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:28 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: the songs

Quote:
Originally posted by blueghost

Hey, good call blueghost. That IS one of the preshow songs for Tool. It's not the one that several others and I are looking for though. The song you found comes on right before ours at the show. The one we're speaking of is reeeaally tense. It has some really slow, stretched out bass lines, and then a rather sudden high pitched "ding ding ding" ing sound. It gets a little faster, and louder and louder until the lights go out. Then you hear the low voices chanting. Does anyone know the song that's playing right before the lights go out??? It's driving me nuts!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

this is the song

Here is the link to the ambient song that builds tension just before the house lights drop:

http://www.deadohiosky.net/audio.php...11_02--Boulder

It's under "intro"

enjoy...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: