Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
NateDaTater
04-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Who is Maynard trying to reach with this song? Do you think it will be successful?

My impression is that he is immediately condemning of those who are obsessed with their televisions as a source of stimulation. By being immediately condemning, he is discouraging us from identifying ourselves with such an individual, and thus discouraging any self-analysis. I believe that Lateralus is their most successful album because it encourages the listener to engage in introspection. I don't feel like this song encourages me to do so.

But hey, that's just "MO". What's yours?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Who is this song reaching?

Who is Maynard trying to reach with this song? Do you think it will be successful?

My impression is that he is immediately condemning of those who are obsessed with their televisions as a source of stimulation. By being immediately condemning, he is discouraging us from identifying ourselves with such an individual, and thus discouraging any self-analysis. I believe that Lateralus is their most successful album because it encourages the listener to engage in introspection. I don't feel like this song encourages me to do so.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
martyr_02's Avatar martyr_02
04-17-2006, 09:38 PM

I don't think he's condeming anyone. I think he's saying some to the like of "it's alright to watch tv, just like it's alright to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. It's when you watch tv for 40 hours a week, and forget that reading or going outside, doing wardwork, or sitting with friends, or doing good in your community, is much more beneficial. I also feel that maynard is pointing out a big flaw in everyone, even himself. Everyone gets interested by suffering, its in our nature. The problem is when people want to just sit back and watch and not help when people are in danger or hurt. I'm starting to ramble, and your name makes me want some tater tots, so i'm gonna go eat something.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 7297
Re: Who is this song reaching?

I don't think he's condeming anyone. I think he's saying some to the like of "it's alright to watch tv, just like it's alright to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. It's when you watch tv for 40 hours a week, and forget that reading or going outside, doing wardwork, or sitting with friends, or doing good in your community, is much more beneficial. I also feel that maynard is pointing out a big flaw in everyone, even himself. Everyone gets interested by suffering, its in our nature. The problem is when people want to just sit back and watch and not help when people are in danger or hurt. I'm starting to ramble, and your name makes me want some tater tots, so i'm gonna go eat something.
04-17-2006, 10:29 PM

I think it can reach every demographic at a different level. Some feed off of oustide stimulation and other peoples drama...while some make choices and find enlightenment from within. Sadly enough its probably the older folks, who watch tv from wake to bed, that take television most seriously. The more people to stay glued to a television...the fewer extremist and original thinkers...tranquility at best.
“I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some bline, random disaster, or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of death from being a total surprise.”

-Chuck Palahniuk
Old 04-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I think it can reach every demographic at a different level. Some feed off of oustide stimulation and other peoples drama...while some make choices and find enlightenment from within. Sadly enough its probably the older folks, who watch tv from wake to bed, that take television most seriously. The more people to stay glued to a television...the fewer extremist and original thinkers...tranquility at best.
“I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some bline, random disaster, or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of death from being a total surprise.”

-Chuck Palahniuk
intoaneye's Avatar intoaneye
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM

I told my friend at work that tools single came out. And he is like I dont like Tool I dont understand them. So clearly he thinks they suppost have a clear cut message. So maybe this song will be easier for him to understand.

Im hoping people will see the message of this song is more different then whats out today. Because everything is so rehashed. Maybe just maybe radio will play this in its entirety for awhile. I think the music in the forefront will get these peoples blood flowing and maybe it will pull them into buy the album atleast.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 50

I told my friend at work that tools single came out. And he is like I dont like Tool I dont understand them. So clearly he thinks they suppost have a clear cut message. So maybe this song will be easier for him to understand.

Im hoping people will see the message of this song is more different then whats out today. Because everything is so rehashed. Maybe just maybe radio will play this in its entirety for awhile. I think the music in the forefront will get these peoples blood flowing and maybe it will pull them into buy the album atleast.
04-18-2006, 03:45 AM

hes not trying to reach anyone. He is just writing vicariously through the eyes of those who live vicariously through desensitized media.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 04-18-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

hes not trying to reach anyone. He is just writing vicariously through the eyes of those who live vicariously through desensitized media.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
BlindVisionary's Avatar BlindVisionary
04-18-2006, 03:50 AM

I reckon since it's more "commercial" then previous Tool songs, they're trying to reach more than Tool fans. I don't think they're worried about album sales but more about getting the message accross to the average person...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

I reckon since it's more "commercial" then previous Tool songs, they're trying to reach more than Tool fans. I don't think they're worried about album sales but more about getting the message accross to the average person...
04-18-2006, 03:53 AM

I think that the television is a metaphor for a much broader point about the downfall of civilization--but basically with you.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 10

I think that the television is a metaphor for a much broader point about the downfall of civilization--but basically with you.
njm's Avatar njm
04-18-2006, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguy
you're crazy
Old 04-18-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
njm

Quote:
you're crazy
chonus's Avatar chonus
04-18-2006, 04:03 AM

Me.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Me.
BlindVisionary's Avatar BlindVisionary
04-18-2006, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm
you're crazy
I know, thanx!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm
you're crazy
I know, thanx!
04-18-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:

We should help them get the message out. Let's get all the tool fans in the world to call in to TRL in the same day requesting the vicarious video, whenever it comes out! Ha just image all the little teeny boppers when they see that lindsay lohan isn't number 1, but instead some band called TOOL! I tell you man, it would be a revolution!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 7297

Quote:

We should help them get the message out. Let's get all the tool fans in the world to call in to TRL in the same day requesting the vicarious video, whenever it comes out! Ha just image all the little teeny boppers when they see that lindsay lohan isn't number 1, but instead some band called TOOL! I tell you man, it would be a revolution!
04-18-2006, 08:11 AM

i think maynard is looking down on himself just as much as everyone else in this song.. he can admit that he has enjoys tragedy.. "WHAT?@! You MONSTER!!!" we say.. but why can't we admit it too.. because we do enjoy it..
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 51

i think maynard is looking down on himself just as much as everyone else in this song.. he can admit that he has enjoys tragedy.. "WHAT?@! You MONSTER!!!" we say.. but why can't we admit it too.. because we do enjoy it..
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-18-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDaTater

I don't really think he's condeming any one person, but trying to say in truth as humans and as living beings we are more driven by animalistic urges than anything else. Just the line "the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been" says just that.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Quote:

I don't really think he's condeming any one person, but trying to say in truth as humans and as living beings we are more driven by animalistic urges than anything else. Just the line "the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been" says just that.
epinephrine_redux's Avatar epinephrine_redux
04-18-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75

exactly.

it does a great job of modernizing the conflict of morals/ethics vs. the "id".

it's more of a commentary on the human condition than "tv".

you could say the message is specific and universal.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75

exactly.

it does a great job of modernizing the conflict of morals/ethics vs. the "id".

it's more of a commentary on the human condition than "tv".

you could say the message is specific and universal.
04-18-2006, 09:33 AM

I don't think this song will reach anyone who doesn't want to hear it. They may "hear" it, but they won't accept it's theme. People live in denial. We're Tool fans and I'd say 90%+ believe that he's (Maynard's) right when he says these things. We're not deaf, dumb and blind and born to follow *nudge nudge* and we believed these things before this song came out. What Maynard might be doing is trying to reach those individuals who don't believe this is true. This song will reach the same people Ferenheit (sp?) 9/11 will reach. I'm not saying it's a failure, I'm saying these people have dence friggin' skulls and can't comprehend such a notion. Then again I could be wrong....
Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #15

Bincount™: 7

I don't think this song will reach anyone who doesn't want to hear it. They may "hear" it, but they won't accept it's theme. People live in denial. We're Tool fans and I'd say 90%+ believe that he's (Maynard's) right when he says these things. We're not deaf, dumb and blind and born to follow *nudge nudge* and we believed these things before this song came out. What Maynard might be doing is trying to reach those individuals who don't believe this is true. This song will reach the same people Ferenheit (sp?) 9/11 will reach. I'm not saying it's a failure, I'm saying these people have dence friggin' skulls and can't comprehend such a notion. Then again I could be wrong....
04-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEulogyOfMe
What Maynard might be doing is trying to reach those individuals who don't believe this is true. This song will reach the same people Ferenheit (sp?) 9/11 will reach. I'm not saying it's a failure, I'm saying these people have dence friggin' skulls and can't comprehend such a notion. Then again I could be wrong....

Exactly. He's preaching to the choir. Even if we do accept a certain amount of the animalistic desire for carnage in ourselves, I honestly believe that there is ANGER in this song, a desire for change, and I believe that ANGER is pointed at certain people, mostly outside of the TOOL fan base. Namely, neo-conservatives, apathetic individuals, political golems, etc.

My question, which still hasn't been touched on, is whether or not this ANGER will reach those people. Will it?

(By political golems, I mean those people that you get into a political argument with and their only response to anything is directly quoting someone off of FOX TV or some political speech given by Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc.)
Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEulogyOfMe
What Maynard might be doing is trying to reach those individuals who don't believe this is true. This song will reach the same people Ferenheit (sp?) 9/11 will reach. I'm not saying it's a failure, I'm saying these people have dence friggin' skulls and can't comprehend such a notion. Then again I could be wrong....

Exactly. He's preaching to the choir. Even if we do accept a certain amount of the animalistic desire for carnage in ourselves, I honestly believe that there is ANGER in this song, a desire for change, and I believe that ANGER is pointed at certain people, mostly outside of the TOOL fan base. Namely, neo-conservatives, apathetic individuals, political golems, etc.

My question, which still hasn't been touched on, is whether or not this ANGER will reach those people. Will it?

(By political golems, I mean those people that you get into a political argument with and their only response to anything is directly quoting someone off of FOX TV or some political speech given by Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc.)
TheEulogyOfMe's Avatar TheEulogyOfMe
04-18-2006, 10:44 AM

No. They're deaf to anything that doesn't fit their political/sociological mindscape.

Say you're driving and some douche cuts you off. You yell "Hey watch where your driving jackass!" He'll flip you off and speed away. Anger pisses him off because he doesn't care what you think, he's just there to please himself.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #17

No. They're deaf to anything that doesn't fit their political/sociological mindscape.

Say you're driving and some douche cuts you off. You yell "Hey watch where your driving jackass!" He'll flip you off and speed away. Anger pisses him off because he doesn't care what you think, he's just there to please himself.
04-18-2006, 10:45 AM

I've given up on these people (your cleverly named political golems).
Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #18

I've given up on these people (your cleverly named political golems).
04-18-2006, 10:51 AM

Perhaps this song is in response to mass media's force feeding of tragic news to, well, us, the wonderful, cable and satellite subscribing, viewing public. World Trade Centers and tsunamis and hurricanes, and of course the wars...
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Perhaps this song is in response to mass media's force feeding of tragic news to, well, us, the wonderful, cable and satellite subscribing, viewing public. World Trade Centers and tsunamis and hurricanes, and of course the wars...
04-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Not me.

I dont watch anything but sports on TV, or national geographic and history channel.

So therefore, I dont see any 'tragedy'

You failed 'Nard.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
Banned.

Bincount™: 3442

Not me.

I dont watch anything but sports on TV, or national geographic and history channel.

So therefore, I dont see any 'tragedy'

You failed 'Nard.
Rosetta Stoned
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM

ok

knowing how maynard writes lyrics...
from which perspective is he writing these lyrics?

i believe he's taking aim at a certain type of people.
in my mind, he's speaking from the perspective of our lovely president george w. bush.

remember? perspectives? everyone has a different perspective...correct?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

ok

knowing how maynard writes lyrics...
from which perspective is he writing these lyrics?

i believe he's taking aim at a certain type of people.
in my mind, he's speaking from the perspective of our lovely president george w. bush.

remember? perspectives? everyone has a different perspective...correct?
Xariable's Avatar Xariable
04-18-2006, 11:44 AM

remember, maynard justs translates the music. The song is telling us that we're pieces of shit for watching KABC Evening News.
lu avec le sarcasme.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #22

remember, maynard justs translates the music. The song is telling us that we're pieces of shit for watching KABC Evening News.
lu avec le sarcasme.
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM

I think this song is reaching into my pants and rubbing my penis 'cause it's giving me a boner.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

I think this song is reaching into my pants and rubbing my penis 'cause it's giving me a boner.
Happyfunball's Avatar Happyfunball
04-18-2006, 12:00 PM

As with everything, the lyrics can and do extend beyond their more simplistic nature. Just reading the comments posted here tells me that it is absolutely reaching different people to a different degree and from different directions.

This is a song that has the potential to cause people to think; to consider things they otherwise may not. I think it perhaps will be laying down the groundwork for the rest of the album which I'm now very interested in hearing. At first I felt this was the kind of busy song that was often placed at the end of a CD as opposed to the beginning, but I think now that the lyrics here may prove to be best served at the very outset of the whole experience. Perhaps this is merely setting up the pins. The bowling ball and subsiquent carnage is to come later.

Never underestimate the power of a thought-provoking idea or social commentary to have an impact on people. We are, all of us, continually evolving on a personal and emotional level. Even those who appear to be so far behind the bell curve. All it takes is the right thought to set any person on a new path towards a different -- hopefully better -- way of thinking. I have no doubt that for some people this song here (and perhaps the entire CD) will provide exactly that kind of motivation.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

As with everything, the lyrics can and do extend beyond their more simplistic nature. Just reading the comments posted here tells me that it is absolutely reaching different people to a different degree and from different directions.

This is a song that has the potential to cause people to think; to consider things they otherwise may not. I think it perhaps will be laying down the groundwork for the rest of the album which I'm now very interested in hearing. At first I felt this was the kind of busy song that was often placed at the end of a CD as opposed to the beginning, but I think now that the lyrics here may prove to be best served at the very outset of the whole experience. Perhaps this is merely setting up the pins. The bowling ball and subsiquent carnage is to come later.

Never underestimate the power of a thought-provoking idea or social commentary to have an impact on people. We are, all of us, continually evolving on a personal and emotional level. Even those who appear to be so far behind the bell curve. All it takes is the right thought to set any person on a new path towards a different -- hopefully better -- way of thinking. I have no doubt that for some people this song here (and perhaps the entire CD) will provide exactly that kind of motivation.
Dogma Slayer
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM

Maybe it is nothing more than, as previosly mentioned, social commentary, designed to make you think. You then can elect better politcians.

Sincerely,
A Registered Independent
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Maybe it is nothing more than, as previosly mentioned, social commentary, designed to make you think. You then can elect better politcians.

Sincerely,
A Registered Independent
Dogma Slayer
04-18-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:

And by the way, they reached me and I was already angry. He just reminded me how sad it is for humanity.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

And by the way, they reached me and I was already angry. He just reminded me how sad it is for humanity.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply