Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
blafuckbla's Avatar blafuckbla
06-11-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k~nug
My bro has a vid on youtube of him playing "Eulogy".(minus the crazy electronics of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjoUMchv3M

technically he does it really well, although copying something almost exactly the way it is is not very original. it's way harder to add something original when covering a Tool song.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #161
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: Hardest Song to play on drums?

Quote:
My bro has a vid on youtube of him playing "Eulogy".(minus the crazy electronics of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjoUMchv3M

technically he does it really well, although copying something almost exactly the way it is is not very original. it's way harder to add something original when covering a Tool song.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 01:20 PM

He's probably aware of that, seems like this was an excercise in doing a loyal cover rather than being an new version. There are really only two ways to do any cover - do it completely loyally, or do a completely personal version of it. If you do half and half, it sounds badly done.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #162
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

He's probably aware of that, seems like this was an excercise in doing a loyal cover rather than being an new version. There are really only two ways to do any cover - do it completely loyally, or do a completely personal version of it. If you do half and half, it sounds badly done.
champion's Avatar champion
06-11-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
One of the most convoluted posts I've ever read. Of course drummers are influenced by others. Danny would not have picked up the instrument if he wasn't influenced by someone. To suggest that this renders him obsolete is ridiculous. By that argument, NO ONE could ever be considered original. Just because he's influenced by Bruford doesn't mean Danny just copies him. That's stupid. Who did Bruford grow up listening to? Does that make Bruford obsolete as well?

I'm getting tired of drummers on this board constantly magnifying themselves as God's of the instrument. If Jimmeny and Champion are good drummers then great. I don't really care. Danny is VERY original, no matter what you think. Jazz influence is all over his drumming style...which is not something commonly found in rock drummers. Your post is clearly not very remarkable, or enlightening whatsoever.
I'm not pitting myself as some incredible drummer. I'm on the other side here. Danny is probably my favorite drummer. He's one of the greatest drummers of all-time, for sure. But it hurts me to see people bring down their own abilities just because Danny is as good as he is. We all have what we have to offer.

And by the way, if you're claiming using jazz techniques within rock music is strikingly original, you need to listen to more fusion (the DEFINITION of rock/jazz interchangeability) and just straight-out more drummers.

I'm not debating Danny's incredible drumming. He's original, fluid, and creative. My only point is that we need to stop talking so much about musicians we admire and start thinking about ourselves and what we have to offer. I'm at the point now where I'd rather hear myself play than anyone else, and that's where any musician should be.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #163
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
One of the most convoluted posts I've ever read. Of course drummers are influenced by others. Danny would not have picked up the instrument if he wasn't influenced by someone. To suggest that this renders him obsolete is ridiculous. By that argument, NO ONE could ever be considered original. Just because he's influenced by Bruford doesn't mean Danny just copies him. That's stupid. Who did Bruford grow up listening to? Does that make Bruford obsolete as well?

I'm getting tired of drummers on this board constantly magnifying themselves as God's of the instrument. If Jimmeny and Champion are good drummers then great. I don't really care. Danny is VERY original, no matter what you think. Jazz influence is all over his drumming style...which is not something commonly found in rock drummers. Your post is clearly not very remarkable, or enlightening whatsoever.
I'm not pitting myself as some incredible drummer. I'm on the other side here. Danny is probably my favorite drummer. He's one of the greatest drummers of all-time, for sure. But it hurts me to see people bring down their own abilities just because Danny is as good as he is. We all have what we have to offer.

And by the way, if you're claiming using jazz techniques within rock music is strikingly original, you need to listen to more fusion (the DEFINITION of rock/jazz interchangeability) and just straight-out more drummers.

I'm not debating Danny's incredible drumming. He's original, fluid, and creative. My only point is that we need to stop talking so much about musicians we admire and start thinking about ourselves and what we have to offer. I'm at the point now where I'd rather hear myself play than anyone else, and that's where any musician should be.
Setve's Avatar Setve
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma
why waste such talent on a shitty song I'll never understand.
because he has a reserve tank of talent that will someday run out
Old 06-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #164
Evtes

Bincount™: 4712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma
why waste such talent on a shitty song I'll never understand.
because he has a reserve tank of talent that will someday run out
06-11-2006, 05:49 PM

You guys can listen to my drums here.

Videos for Lateralus and Vicarious, and possibly others (Ticks and Leeches, The Grudge, The Pot?) will be attempted this week.

I'll try to pull off Rosetta Stoned sometime soon.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #165
Banned.

Videos for Lateralus and Vicarious, and possibly others (Ticks and Leeches, The Grudge, The Pot?) will be attempted this week.

Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
06-12-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Wow man that groove in the jerkagram song... it's just...mind-blowing!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #166
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:

Wow man that groove in the jerkagram song... it's just...mind-blowing!
TOOL_Rules
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Paul
Ohhh shit! I forgot... the drum solo in 46 & 2, to me, seems harder to play than the Grudge's ending.
Not true by a long shot. Never understood why everyone thinks that 46&2 drum solo is so complex. It is cool, but technically as a drummer nowhere near as difficult to play as the end of The Grudge, or the independence he has going on at the end of Triad.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #167

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Paul
Ohhh shit! I forgot... the drum solo in 46 & 2, to me, seems harder to play than the Grudge's ending.
Not true by a long shot. Never understood why everyone thinks that 46&2 drum solo is so complex. It is cool, but technically as a drummer nowhere near as difficult to play as the end of The Grudge, or the independence he has going on at the end of Triad.
06-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Yeah, the end of 46 & 2 is one of those things that's not hard to do, but to come up with it is what's quite inspired.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #168
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Yeah, the end of 46 & 2 is one of those things that's not hard to do, but to come up with it is what's quite inspired.
06-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Yeah. I can play the entire 46 and 2 solo exactly how it sounds, and have been able to for a while. It's really cool, but he doesn't go off nearly as much as he does in other songs.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #169
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Yeah. I can play the entire 46 and 2 solo exactly how it sounds, and have been able to for a while. It's really cool, but he doesn't go off nearly as much as he does in other songs.
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Anyone saying that they can play any tool exactly...audio please...

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 06-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #170

Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-12-2006, 03:47 PM

I believe champion can do it, the 46 & 2 solo isn't technically that hard.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #171
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I believe champion can do it, the 46 & 2 solo isn't technically that hard.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:

If you're a serious drummer, then everything you just stated is absolutely true...and inspirational.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #172
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:

If you're a serious drummer, then everything you just stated is absolutely true...and inspirational.
06-13-2006, 02:43 AM

Quote:

There's a vid of someone playing the 46&2 solo on Youtube. Really cool.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:43 AM   #173
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

eulogist
06-13-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poirier
Also, no one has mentioned 'the beat' as we call, it in Eulogy. I don't remember the time, maybe around 6-7 minutes in. listen carefully, break it down, and try it. Makes for a frustrating night.

yeah i don't wanna brag but i got the euology beat down pretty well, its not all that hard once you figure out how the frasing on the hi hat matches up with your kick and snare-- the beat repeats itself every 3 bars

and for me the hardest would probably be ticks and leeches because i can barely even attempt that song. its so raw and requires so much endurance throught the whole song its amazing. For me also danny carey is not about making shit that's really hard and complicated just stuff that's unique and adds to the music while complementing it
Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #174
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poirier
Also, no one has mentioned 'the beat' as we call, it in Eulogy. I don't remember the time, maybe around 6-7 minutes in. listen carefully, break it down, and try it. Makes for a frustrating night.

yeah i don't wanna brag but i got the euology beat down pretty well, its not all that hard once you figure out how the frasing on the hi hat matches up with your kick and snare-- the beat repeats itself every 3 bars

and for me the hardest would probably be ticks and leeches because i can barely even attempt that song. its so raw and requires so much endurance throught the whole song its amazing. For me also danny carey is not about making shit that's really hard and complicated just stuff that's unique and adds to the music while complementing it
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-13-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajarigon
Here's a better one>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-w0SoPSs0

Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajarigon

inSin's Avatar inSin
06-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
nice vid. is that you?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #176
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
nice vid. is that you?
AlexTool's Avatar AlexTool
06-14-2006, 10:40 AM

Hummm this is hard, i play guitar, but for my point of view, the hardest song could be one of those : The Grudge, AENEMA, Thicks & Leeches, Rosetta Stoned... ahh Third Eye of course.. yeah i guess one of those

Peace
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #177
Level 4 - Thinker

Hummm this is hard, i play guitar, but for my point of view, the hardest song could be one of those : The Grudge, AENEMA, Thicks & Leeches, Rosetta Stoned... ahh Third Eye of course.. yeah i guess one of those

Peace
06-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTool

Peace
i agree on all of those except aenema. i can play most of that song.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #178
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTool

Peace
i agree on all of those except aenema. i can play most of that song.
06-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Wow that vid is awesome! Thx!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #179
Level 8 - Vociferous

Wow that vid is awesome! Thx!
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-14-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin
nice vid. is that you?
That's my brother, Matt. Awesome drummer.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #180

Quote:
nice vid. is that you?
That's my brother, Matt. Awesome drummer.

Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks
Took me some time to find it. I know there's a site out there titled 10,000 words that's a collection of tool related articles that links to these images...don't remember the url though.

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/6...dannyfc2te.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp18rq.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/9...dannyp21rp.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp35it.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1...dannyp41qe.jpg
Thanks, man. Great read. I always enjoy reading Danny's interviews in the Drum Magazines. He seems more interesting than Maynard and the rest, when he talks about music, not himself.

I'm not a drummer, but it helps to enjoy the record even more, with his commentary and thoughts about beats, percussion, atmosphere, and how the band interacts.

EDIT: Plus I find that the music magazines like Modern Drummer, Guitar, Bassplayer, etc. actually know how to interview a musician. It seems like the guys are much better subjects during these interviews than for the pop-culture mags.

Last edited by Garguantua; 06-15-2006 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks
Took me some time to find it. I know there's a site out there titled 10,000 words that's a collection of tool related articles that links to these images...don't remember the url though.

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/6...dannyfc2te.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp18rq.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/9...dannyp21rp.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp35it.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1...dannyp41qe.jpg
Thanks, man. Great read. I always enjoy reading Danny's interviews in the Drum Magazines. He seems more interesting than Maynard and the rest, when he talks about music, not himself.

I'm not a drummer, but it helps to enjoy the record even more, with his commentary and thoughts about beats, percussion, atmosphere, and how the band interacts.

EDIT: Plus I find that the music magazines like Modern Drummer, Guitar, Bassplayer, etc. actually know how to interview a musician. It seems like the guys are much better subjects during these interviews than for the pop-culture mags.

Last edited by Garguantua; 06-15-2006 at 01:06 PM..
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-15-2006, 03:46 PM

EDIT: Plus I find that the music magazines like Modern Drummer, Guitar, Bassplayer, etc. actually know how to interview a musician. It seems like the guys are much better subjects during these interviews than for the pop-culture mags.[/QUOTE]

That's because they are asking about the thing that matters, the music.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #182

EDIT: Plus I find that the music magazines like Modern Drummer, Guitar, Bassplayer, etc. actually know how to interview a musician. It seems like the guys are much better subjects during these interviews than for the pop-culture mags.[/QUOTE]

That's because they are asking about the thing that matters, the music.

Lateralias's Avatar Lateralias
06-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Sections of The Grudge are pretty confusing/hard IF you play them exactly how Danny does. It's also a very difficult song to decipher by ear (no tabs gentlemen).

Playing a Tool song and playing Tool note for note are two totally different worlds.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #183
Gettin' that big taste

Bincount™: 752

Sections of The Grudge are pretty confusing/hard IF you play them exactly how Danny does. It's also a very difficult song to decipher by ear (no tabs gentlemen).

Playing a Tool song and playing Tool note for note are two totally different worlds.
Absolute_Zero's Avatar Absolute_Zero
06-15-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralias

Finally.

This is especially true of the rythm section, and applicable to any piece of music ever.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #184
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 255

Quote:

Finally.

This is especially true of the rythm section, and applicable to any piece of music ever.
06-15-2006, 04:45 PM

right in two is nuts, as is rosetta.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #185
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

right in two is nuts, as is rosetta.
ALIvingGrudge's Avatar ALIvingGrudge
06-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

Is there any song on 10,000 Days that was more interesting or challenging to play than the others?

“If I was going to pick one, just from a drummer’s standpoint, ‘Rosetta Stoned’ is a good one. There’s that part where I’m playing four with my
left foot, five with my right foot, and six with my hands.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
ummm...i can play that part.... he made it sound ALOT harder than it really is
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #186
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

Is there any song on 10,000 Days that was more interesting or challenging to play than the others?

“If I was going to pick one, just from a drummer’s standpoint, ‘Rosetta Stoned’ is a good one. There’s that part where I’m playing four with my
left foot, five with my right foot, and six with my hands.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
ummm...i can play that part.... he made it sound ALOT harder than it really is
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
Quote:

Finally.

This is what's been annoying me about this thread. The question was asked 'What's the hardest song to play on the drums.' and part of the answer has been that a few of the songs have been doable by them, thus making them not as hard as another Tool song they can't play. And then we get comments like these, talking about how 'oh, you might be able to play it, but not like Danny plays it, and you can't improvise either, so that makes it totally different.'

There's alot of truth in what you said, but preceeding it with 'finally...' implies you've been reading this thread and thinking that. But it doesn't have a place here, people are simply debating what the FRICKING HARDEST TOOL SONG IS TO PLAY.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #187
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Quote:

Finally.

This is what's been annoying me about this thread. The question was asked 'What's the hardest song to play on the drums.' and part of the answer has been that a few of the songs have been doable by them, thus making them not as hard as another Tool song they can't play. And then we get comments like these, talking about how 'oh, you might be able to play it, but not like Danny plays it, and you can't improvise either, so that makes it totally different.'

There's alot of truth in what you said, but preceeding it with 'finally...' implies you've been reading this thread and thinking that. But it doesn't have a place here, people are simply debating what the FRICKING HARDEST TOOL SONG IS TO PLAY.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny

The "comments" are not that you may be able to play it, the "comments" are about how so many drummers seem to proclaim to fluently play TOOL with such ease...and maybe some of us have a light-bulb go off in our heads when these "comments" are made.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #188
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:

The "comments" are not that you may be able to play it, the "comments" are about how so many drummers seem to proclaim to fluently play TOOL with such ease...and maybe some of us have a light-bulb go off in our heads when these "comments" are made.
06-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah ... I have been reading this thread for a while. I've been playing drums for over 15 years now (and teaching drums for the past 3), so percussion-related threads are interesting to me--especially on a Tool forum. I love Danny's work. Its an inspiration to drummers everywhere.

That said, however, while reading this thread, I quickly realized that I have an entirely different theory regarding drumming than the vast majority of the posters here... I fall into the 'play it' school (and not in the 'copy it' school).

I play metal and rock mostly, but my roots are in jazz ... I believe in improvisation and the fluidity of music. I could--at this point in my life--give a flying fuck about sheet music or precise repetition.

That's not to say that I do whatever the hell I want when I jam Tool ... the grooves are important, as is the phrasing. As far as fills go, however, who gives a shit. Its called a fill for a reason.

So in summation, yeah: Finally.

PS: if you're so concerned with the threads following precisely from the thread title ('Hardest Song to play on drums?'), then why not bitch that everyone is only talking about the hardest Tool song to play?

What about Moby Dick?

Last edited by Absolute_Zero; 06-15-2006 at 08:14 PM..
Old 06-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #189
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Yeah ... I have been reading this thread for a while. I've been playing drums for over 15 years now (and teaching drums for the past 3), so percussion-related threads are interesting to me--especially on a Tool forum. I love Danny's work. Its an inspiration to drummers everywhere.

That said, however, while reading this thread, I quickly realized that I have an entirely different theory regarding drumming than the vast majority of the posters here... I fall into the 'play it' school (and not in the 'copy it' school).

I play metal and rock mostly, but my roots are in jazz ... I believe in improvisation and the fluidity of music. I could--at this point in my life--give a flying fuck about sheet music or precise repetition.

That's not to say that I do whatever the hell I want when I jam Tool ... the grooves are important, as is the phrasing. As far as fills go, however, who gives a shit. Its called a fill for a reason.

PS: if you're so concerned with the threads following precisely from the thread title ('Hardest Song to play on drums?'), then why not bitch that everyone is only talking about the hardest Tool song to play?

What about Moby Dick?

Last edited by Absolute_Zero; 06-15-2006 at 08:14 PM..
inSin's Avatar inSin
06-15-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:

god damn chill man its just a thread. im sorry that i love to play tool on drums.. and i know i dont get every note right all the time. im only 17 and still have alot to learn. just stop harping on us for not being 'perfect'
Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #190
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

god damn chill man its just a thread. im sorry that i love to play tool on drums.. and i know i dont get every note right all the time. im only 17 and still have alot to learn. just stop harping on us for not being 'perfect'
inSin's Avatar inSin
06-15-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:

PS: if you're so concerned with the threads following precisely from the thread title ('wshat the hardest song to play on drums?'), then why not bitch that everyone is only talking about the hardest Tool song to play?

What about Moby Dick?
haha moby dick is fun and hard to play and so is anything from john.. but the thread is about the hardest Tool songs
Old 06-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #191
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

PS: if you're so concerned with the threads following precisely from the thread title ('wshat the hardest song to play on drums?'), then why not bitch that everyone is only talking about the hardest Tool song to play?

What about Moby Dick?
haha moby dick is fun and hard to play and so is anything from john.. but the thread is about the hardest Tool songs
06-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
If you're not concerned with playing every single beat perfectly, stroke for stroke, drum for drum, then maybe you don't have that much to learn.
It usually takes drummers way too long to figure that one out.
(myself included).
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #192
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
If you're not concerned with playing every single beat perfectly, stroke for stroke, drum for drum, then maybe you don't have that much to learn.
It usually takes drummers way too long to figure that one out.
(myself included).
06-16-2006, 01:43 AM

Gah, I'm not saying you're wrong to be fluid in you're playing :( That's one of the most important things to learn in music. I'm just pointing out that it seems unfair to criticise people for saying they can play a particular section, when they're only answering the thread. I'm also not saying everyone should stick on topic, it just seems abit unfair to me to assume that the people who say they can play these sections are somehow dummys, copycats etc etc.

Insin, nowhere in any of my posts have I harped on about being perfect to anyone. I don't expect anyone to be perfect, I agree entirely in feeling over precision. I actually agree with everything Absolute Zero and 2&46 have said... I'm just pointing out the unfair assumptions people are making about fluidity. I guess I'm taking the question here as 'what the hardest bit that danny plays.', becuase it's a very open-ended question to ask 'what's the hardest Tool song to jam to'

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-16-2006 at 01:47 AM..
Old 06-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #193
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Gah, I'm not saying you're wrong to be fluid in you're playing :( That's one of the most important things to learn in music. I'm just pointing out that it seems unfair to criticise people for saying they can play a particular section, when they're only answering the thread. I'm also not saying everyone should stick on topic, it just seems abit unfair to me to assume that the people who say they can play these sections are somehow dummys, copycats etc etc.

Insin, nowhere in any of my posts have I harped on about being perfect to anyone. I don't expect anyone to be perfect, I agree entirely in feeling over precision. I actually agree with everything Absolute Zero and 2&46 have said... I'm just pointing out the unfair assumptions people are making about fluidity. I guess I'm taking the question here as 'what the hardest bit that danny plays.', becuase it's a very open-ended question to ask 'what's the hardest Tool song to jam to'

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-16-2006 at 01:47 AM..
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-16-2006, 02:33 AM

I'm thinking Rosetta Stoned. There are a lot of changes in there and some of the drum sequencess are fairly complex.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #194
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

I'm thinking Rosetta Stoned. There are a lot of changes in there and some of the drum sequencess are fairly complex.
06-16-2006, 06:43 AM

People need to take into consideration the advantages Danny has.

He has his drumset set in a way that perfectly fits him and the music he plays. He has tons of expensive equipment and has his kit sounding amazing.

We don't have the same setup, play different kinds of music, and don't have nearly as much equipment as he has. If I were to play a lot of Tool songs ON DANNY'S KIT, they'd sound eons better than on my kit, because not only do I lack the equipment Danny has, but my drums are not made to play prog rock. I tune them a certain way, and it doesn't sound as good with Tool's material.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #195
Banned.

People need to take into consideration the advantages Danny has.

He has his drumset set in a way that perfectly fits him and the music he plays. He has tons of expensive equipment and has his kit sounding amazing.

We don't have the same setup, play different kinds of music, and don't have nearly as much equipment as he has. If I were to play a lot of Tool songs ON DANNY'S KIT, they'd sound eons better than on my kit, because not only do I lack the equipment Danny has, but my drums are not made to play prog rock. I tune them a certain way, and it doesn't sound as good with Tool's material.
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-16-2006, 07:05 AM

I agree and disagree with champion. There's an old adage that says a musician is only as good as his instrument. However, if you gave Danny a piece of shit cb percussion kit with out of tune drums, he would still fucking rock.

One thing to note, is that Danny has one unique advantage most drummers don't have. He has a reverse hi-hat stand. When he depresses the pedal, his hat opens instead of closes. That's how he can do some of those unique hat patterns that seem really difficult to pull of an a regular kit.Think about how much easier it would be to play the Eulogy riff with that deeleo...

Old 06-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #196

I agree and disagree with champion. There's an old adage that says a musician is only as good as his instrument. However, if you gave Danny a piece of shit cb percussion kit with out of tune drums, he would still fucking rock.

One thing to note, is that Danny has one unique advantage most drummers don't have. He has a reverse hi-hat stand. When he depresses the pedal, his hat opens instead of closes. That's how he can do some of those unique hat patterns that seem really difficult to pull of an a regular kit.Think about how much easier it would be to play the Eulogy riff with that deeleo...

MacFoley's Avatar MacFoley
06-16-2006, 07:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unh7e...h=tool%20drums

check this kid out he is only 15! good though.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #197

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unh7e...h=tool%20drums

check this kid out he is only 15! good though.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-16-2006, 09:38 AM

That's really really impressive. Strange though, he plays the 5/8 kick in the song, but doesn't play it when he's describing it!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #198
Level 9 - Obstreperous

That's really really impressive. Strange though, he plays the 5/8 kick in the song, but doesn't play it when he's describing it!
Lateralias's Avatar Lateralias
06-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:

This is a great post and I highly agree with you. A smaller kit for Danny would basically just minimize his sounds, not his ability.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #199
Gettin' that big taste

Bincount™: 752

Quote:

This is a great post and I highly agree with you. A smaller kit for Danny would basically just minimize his sounds, not his ability.
06-16-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:

THATS why it looks so weird when hes playing... holy crap thats so weird...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #200

Quote:

THATS why it looks so weird when hes playing... holy crap thats so weird...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply