Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
chloë's Avatar chloë
10-10-2004, 06:00 AM

I just bought a new guitar. It´s a Univox Hi-Flier 1976 (a mosrite copy). It´s in pretty good shape except for the thing at the headstock where you put the strings (dont know what it´s called, look on the white thing on the picture)

http://www.univox.org/pics/guitars/h...tural_head.jpg

it´s in pretty bad shape so I´m gonna fix that, otherwise it´s in pretty good shape.

anyway, one of the Pickups (2 humbuckers) are a bit rusty. Is this something I should worry about? I sounds good and when I bought it I compared to a Jag-Stang with Duncan pickups. The Duncan pick-ups were a bit rusty aswell but they sounded awesome. My pickups sounded almost as good but not quite.
Anyway, should I just get new humbuckers (I like them so I might just change one of them) or is it nothing I should care about?
Old 10-10-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19
guitar stuff

I just bought a new guitar. It´s a Univox Hi-Flier 1976 (a mosrite copy). It´s in pretty good shape except for the thing at the headstock where you put the strings (dont know what it´s called, look on the white thing on the picture)

http://www.univox.org/pics/guitars/h...tural_head.jpg

it´s in pretty bad shape so I´m gonna fix that, otherwise it´s in pretty good shape.

anyway, one of the Pickups (2 humbuckers) are a bit rusty. Is this something I should worry about? I sounds good and when I bought it I compared to a Jag-Stang with Duncan pickups. The Duncan pick-ups were a bit rusty aswell but they sounded awesome. My pickups sounded almost as good but not quite.
Anyway, should I just get new humbuckers (I like them so I might just change one of them) or is it nothing I should care about?
10-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Damn, I've never gotten full blown into guit repairs...although I feel that I should. The white thing is the "nut". I don't know about the rusted pickup. I don't imagine that the rust would have a deterimental effect on the magnets.

hold on... " Rusted steel, corroded copper, or a combination of both, are the most common causes of dead pickups, or pickups which die a slow death"

That's just from a random google: http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/...s26fralin.html

A usenet post suggested steel wool to the rusted poles. When in doubt take it into a local music shop and get their opinion.

Have fun walking the wood.

Wait...that almost sounds like I said, "Have fun pullin the pud"...you get the idea.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
Re: guitar stuff

Damn, I've never gotten full blown into guit repairs...although I feel that I should. The white thing is the "nut". I don't know about the rusted pickup. I don't imagine that the rust would have a deterimental effect on the magnets.

hold on... " Rusted steel, corroded copper, or a combination of both, are the most common causes of dead pickups, or pickups which die a slow death"

That's just from a random google: http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/...s26fralin.html

A usenet post suggested steel wool to the rusted poles. When in doubt take it into a local music shop and get their opinion.

Have fun walking the wood.

Wait...that almost sounds like I said, "Have fun pullin the pud"...you get the idea.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply