opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 01-07-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
is this song exceptionally bad ass?

i get so wrapped up in this song it's just insane. from the beginning guitar riff...to the 987 part...to the insane 5/4 drum part on the "verse"....to the part that's like "i embrace my desire to feel the rhythm...to feel connected". the drums on that part are so insane i can't even figure out what the hell danny's doing!...then the ending climax about spiraling out! shit...i get goosebumps talking about it but more importantly when i hear the word TOOL i think of this song. i personally think it's the defining song in their entire collection...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 79
I'd have to agree with you.

The song isn't THAT hard to perform on guitar (my beloved instrument. *hugs*). But the sounds are just amazing.

I don't know...

I haven't memorized the solo's yet... but...

Plus at the end when Maynard is kind of chanting the lyrics

"With my feet upon the ground....We'll ride the spiral to the end we may just go where no one's been. Spiral out. Keep going, going"

Just you can feel the passion in the music and lyrics.

Maybe I'm just an obsessive fuck...
You never meant a word. Not a fucking word of it. I am so sick of goodbyes. So sick of committing suicide. I am so sick of the in between, now and then. So sick of swinging the hammer. So sick of my suicide, of burying every hero that I had.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:09 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Lateralus is definately one of the greatest of all Tool's songs (in my opinion). It's also one of their more positive sounding song's and it inspires me so much. I've even written the entire lyrics to the song on the cover of one of my schoolbooks (haha yah, im weird). But thank you, Tool, for the inspiration...

spiral out...
Old 01-08-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 79
I had some of Jerk-Off on my math book.

That day in the "detective's" office, I got bitched at for 5 minutes. Teehee!
You never meant a word. Not a fucking word of it. I am so sick of goodbyes. So sick of committing suicide. I am so sick of the in between, now and then. So sick of swinging the hammer. So sick of my suicide, of burying every hero that I had.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Yes, this song is, in fact, badass. It is one of Tool's most thought-out and great songs, and is one of my all-time favorite prog songs.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

To me, the part beginning with the solo after "swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human" until the very end of the song is the greatest section of music ever recorded. The entire song just comes to an incredible climax and once they kick in with "and following our will and wind..." I just get chills until the very last note.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Some people, like myself, think that Lateralus is the song that defines Tool, to date. It is beyond amazing. My personal favorite.

What's funny is that when Lateralus came out I didn't think it was that great. I wasn't ready for it yet.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

the rythym of lateralus

In the song lateralus, the break with the what sounds liek exeptionally hard drum beat, seems to be sumthing that not many drummers can play-now someone here might reply and say they can play it but i would highly doubt it. i do know that there are some out there that can play the beat- i was just wondering if any drummers on this site have tried the beat or can get close to it- i agree with some of the posts on how this song is one of the defining songs that showcases teh musical talent of the band-another one that i feel does the same is the grudge thanx for ur time.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:31 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

no, not really. and in fact, it's rather boring and nothing i've never heard before!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

hells yeah

I saw Tool on Nov. 25 in Amherst. Lateralus was amazing. From start to finish, I was in awe. The combination of the light and sound was amazing for this song

For "black and white are all I see..." black and white checkerboard style lights covered the floor seats, then for "red and yellow then..." the lights changed to red and yellow and started moving.
~~I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone i will turn the Inner Eye to its path. Only I will remain~~
Old 01-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Hell yes

Most definitely.

It is probably my favourite Tool song, if you put a gun to my head and said choose. Its awesome.

It is also totally wicked live, which makes an even better song. :D
Old 02-03-2003, 06:56 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: the rythym of lateralus

Quote:
Originally posted by grudge-nothing
In the song lateralus, the break with the what sounds liek exeptionally hard drum beat, seems to be sumthing that not many drummers can play-now someone here might reply and say they can play it but i would highly doubt it. i do know that there are some out there that can play the beat- i was just wondering if any drummers on this site have tried the beat or can get close to it- i agree with some of the posts on how this song is one of the defining songs that showcases teh musical talent of the band-another one that i feel does the same is the grudge thanx for ur time.
Grudge,
After spending about 2 months on it, I am able to play all of lateralus (as well as several other songs on the album). When you say the break, I'm confused with what you mean. I assume you mean the break is when the instruments stop and its the bass rhythm. That whole section is in 5/8 time. It starts with a repetitive hi hat beat, and then breaks into a difficult sounding beat that is actually not very difficult. It goes:
H |X-X-xX-X-x|
S |--------o-|
B |oooo------|
|1+2+3+4+5+|

Sorry about how messy that looks, just cut and paste it into word with Courier New as your font and it'll work....anyway.....the hi hat is just playing the same rhythm over and over again with the pickup on the and of beat five, then the open hats on beats 1 and 2, etc. Its a big exercise in independence. To learn it, I suggest doing what I did, which would be getting the hi hat pattern down pat and then adding in the bass and snare.
If you think that the break is the part where maynard says "Reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me", that part isn't difficult at all except for being in 12/8 time. I hope i've answered your question.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

not quite it

This song is one of the many that define tool. I don't know, it's hard to think of just one song defining the different aspects that Tool takes. I'd say this song is second to Third Eye in terms of representation. 3rd eye still has to be the all time poster song for the band, sums up a lot of what they are about.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 23
D00d, this song is BAD ASS. OMG!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:34 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
I actually had prison sex on my school book and a teacher of mine freaked while reading it, almost suspending me for no reason, but I agree. Lateralus is a great track, and I think I lost some of my man juice after hearing it for the first time...
Old 03-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yes

Yes this song is great....it is one of the few songs that incorperates great lyrics with fasinating intermentals. as for writing the lyrics around school, the lyrics to "stinkfist" carved into ones desk may cause a few after school detentions. and a brief visit to the counsler.

i think im gunna start a thread on this....
Old 03-08-2003, 08:42 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

The 5/8 drum beat following the break isn't all that difficult. What makes it sound complex is the context in which it is played in (a 4 meter), which in turn makes the accents cycle/syncopate creating an illusion of complexity. Good stuff :)
Old 03-09-2003, 01:46 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

i think the awesomest part of this song is towards the middle, when he says "reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come" it's so hardcore it just revs me up so bad i wanna go punch someone in the face!

and by the way i know i'm retarded for asking, but is there a way to reply without using the "reply w/ quote" button on all the posts?
Old 03-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoky Mac Daddy
and by the way i know i'm retarded for asking, but is there a way to reply without using the "reply w/ quote" button on all the posts?
try "post followup" ;)
Old 03-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by halo99

no, not really. and in fact, it's rather boring and nothing i've never heard before!
WHAT??!! this is THE most idiotic thing I have ever *ever* read in my entire life...go ahead...read it again...stupid, no? let's reexamine this-first-boring, I will concede boring-if you don't long songs, as anyone who is familar with Halo99's "opinions" will know, he doesn't. Second "Nothing I've never heard before!" one word: WHERE???!!! I have never heard anything like this song anywhere else on the planet; and I have heard a LOT of music, and someone, in the name of "god" smack this guy a good one.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:14 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7
halo99 thought this was a limp bizcit website what an imbecile

I hope halo99 gets an enema for being so impetuous and rude and worthless

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: