opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 05. Crawl Away
User Name
Password
Old 06-21-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
good song, my thoughts.

I think this is probably one of the more profound songs on this album. i think many of us have been connected to someone or something, and have had to watch them move on regardless of how much we love that person or thing. Followed by the inevitable equivocation that occurs between love and hate when its over. I think the song is mostly about how powerless we are at times to control the things we love from leaving, no matter how much we plea that they stay. I guess there are personal experiences, but blah.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 19
Re: good song, my thoughts.

drums on this song=awesome
yea, good song
Old 03-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

TOOL Drums = Awesome.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJoe
I think this is probably one of the more profound songs on this album. i think many of us have been connected to someone or something, and have had to watch them move on regardless of how much we love that person or thing. Followed by the inevitable equivocation that occurs between love and hate when its over. I think the song is mostly about how powerless we are at times to control the things we love from leaving, no matter how much we plea that they stay. I guess there are personal experiences, but blah.
I tried to crawl away from a situation such as the one you mentioned, but then my arms and legs atrophied damn it, oh well. teehee, she came back to me anyway. It turned out for the best.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:00 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 51

Quote:
Yeah I know that feeling, fucked up shit...

Danny Carey = awe-inspiring to me
Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Galapogos
I tried to crawl away from a situation such as the one you mentioned, but then my arms and legs atrophied damn it, oh well. teehee, she came back to me anyway. It turned out for the best.

Sometimes "her" coming back, isn't always the best. You may think it is because that's what you wanted so badly...but deep down, you could be dying.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
Sometimes "her" coming back, isn't always the best. You may think it is because that's what you wanted so badly...but deep down, you could be dying.
Yes, I agree that that is true sometimes. But it has nearly been a year since, and someone (if not me) would have noticed that it was not for the best by now. I think things are good. But that could be what I get for thinking. We'll see in the long run.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

That's not exactly accurate...it took me 2 years.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
That's not exactly accurate...it took me 2 years.
I believe that a popular quote around here is "live for the moment." I will continue to do that, perhaps she will cast me into the gutter and back onto my knees. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but if it does, hopefully I won't atrophy again.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

"Hopefully."
Old 03-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
"Hopefully."
What is there without hope?

"If nothing else kills you, breathing will."
Old 03-19-2004, 02:46 AM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

HA...l'll tell you about hopes and dreams...

Without hopes you can have dreams...things that you know will never happen but for some odd reason you usually think them anyways, and after that...you will have pain, the painful realization of life itself, knowing nothing is perfect and wondering how in fact you could have thought of the dream, or hope, in the first place...then comes forgotten...when everything between you and that one, special person is forgotten, someone will become mad, or upset for some reason, and they will part, and then...they will die with a memory of each other in the back of their minds to faint to even stir up emotion...that’s just the inevitable of life, yours, and mine, and everyone else’s...life itself is pain, we cant help that, we just HOPE and DREAM, that the pain will go away...we wish the pain could go away
Old 03-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Without hopes you can have dreams...things that you know will never happen but for some odd reason you usually think them anyways, and after that...you will have pain, the painful realization of life itself, knowing nothing is perfect and wondering how in fact you could have thought of the dream, or hope, in the first place...then comes forgotten...when everything between you and that one, special person is forgotten, someone will become mad, or upset for some reason, and they will part, and then...they will die with a memory of each other in the back of their minds to faint to even stir up emotion...that’s just the inevitable of life, yours, and mine, and everyone else’s...life itself is pain, we cant help that, we just HOPE and DREAM, that the pain will go away...we wish the pain could go away
If we didn't have that hope though, we would've killed ourselves by now though.
"When all of your wishes are granted, all of your dreams, will be destroyed." -Marilyn Manson
I know what you mean, trust me. But hope can sometimes lead us to great things. And if they don't, what have you lost, certainly not your life.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3996

Quote:

i can thoroughly relate to this.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 529

I love the Undertow album, and this is one of my more favorite songs on it.

The whole damn album has amazing drumming, and you notice that especially when trying to play along with the album blasting on loud speakers.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My interpretation of this song it that the person was once loved and loved that person but was stippped and had the feeling ripped right out of their heart by none other than the person they loved and now they are dead inside.....
Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

There is a lot of hate and anger in this song. Maybe it is about someone who has turned their back on you and you are angry "stick a knife in it"If they wouldn't have left you turned their back you couldn't. I even feel a little bit of denial in it. "...Crawl away from me..." Maybe in hopes the person has a hard time leaving. Maybe it isn't about a person at all, maybe it's your mind, and sanity slipping away.

If I don't see you before Easter go ahead and hide the eggs...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #18
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 22

yes, i love this song. and of course the whole cd. i would rather tool play their older stuff rather than new if i ever get to see them live. i dunno, i just love the energy
Old 05-19-2006, 06:25 AM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

I tend to think this song is more being sang from the perpective of someone who is trying to control someone else , and as that person slowly realises that they need to get away from this person the harder the person makes it for them........

Fantastic Tune
Old 07-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

that is just brilliant, and true
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i think this song ( in my opinion) is about someone "seeing god" or "opening thier 3rd eye" and cant reach "god". Then the person tries too hard (instead of letting go) to reach "god" and he says to "god" - "i can see your back is turnin if i could i'd stick a knife in" responce from god- "this is love, this is my love for you" because the person couldnt "let go" of him/herself to reach "god" in the first place so how could he/she possible be ready to recieve enlightenment.

The "dont mean fuck to me" part to me is "god" telling that person he isnt ready.... if he where ready, he would realize what he wants/needs is irrelevant.
Thr 1st and most important thing to remember people is that (and maynard says it time and time again) "free yourself from yourself" , "lets defy ego, before its far too late", "let go let go let go". i can quote tons of what i call "self detatchment phrases" but until you truly "drop" (and i dont mean kill yourself or die) your body.... you wont acsend to the "next level".
Old 07-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

I see it as a really co-dependant sociopathic person being really upset over the fact that a person they used to have control over has decided to leave them. There's a lot of violence and hatred implied which is why I brand the protagonist as a sociopath.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:54 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersnipe View Post
I see it as a really co-dependant sociopathic person being really upset over the fact that a person they used to have control over has decided to leave them. There's a lot of violence and hatred implied which is why I brand the protagonist as a sociopath.
agreed :)

I'm currently going through something like this at the moment ....
Old 10-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Moments View Post
Danny Carey = awe-inspiring to me
Danny Carey = best drummer of the 90s
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972

i interpret this as about being the object of someone's obsession/he's singing from the other person's perspective rather than his own.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkajdcjc View Post
Danny Carey = best drummer of the 90s and 00s
That's more like it.

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #27
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkajdcjc View Post
Danny Carey = best drummer of forever
Old 11-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously I Live View Post
That's more like it.
Yeah, you are right.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance. View Post
Close, but Neil Peart, John Bonham, Bill Bruford, and Terry Bozzio have him beat barely IMO.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJoe View Post
I think you're absolutely right.

This is one of Tool's easiest songs to decipher because it's so obvious what it means. It speaks for itself.
That's one of many things I like about this song.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I'm expierencing something like this as of now, and this song seems to be my personal anthem. I love it.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: