opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 12-26-2002, 03:12 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 16
The Tool Movie- Why not?

Maybe I'm just bored and it's been way to long "celebrating" (ie, sitting in my flat broke) a holiday I never heard of until I got over here (Boxing Day?), but hear me out here. If there's one thing the members of this band have, it's a great sense of humor about themselves, the genre, the industry, and the world in general. Anyone that recognizes that, coupled with the band's uncompromising journey through music can totally appreciate what I'm about to propose- something like the Monkeys meets all that conspiracy shit and like in the news- letters on their official site. Just think, Tool on tour around the world, being chased by Masons and Assasins, trying to avert the creation of Arizona Bay, UFOs, and God knows what else. Just think of the possibilities, you could get Maynard's friend Gillian Anderson to make a cameo as some farce of Scully, you could end it with some with some knock-off satire of the End of "Srgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club" with some band doing doing a cover of a TOOL song, throw in some APC jokes, one could go on forever. And to top it off, hopefully they'll cut their own soundtrack and you'll get another Tool album in the process.

It's a silly thought I know, but keeping in mind the proper grain of thought it should be taken with, any feed-back would be great.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Yeah this would be kickass, but theres two problems:

1. let's face it, it would never happen
2. releasing a movie would just make them more mainstream than they already are, and then places like this would be filled with a bunch of punk teenagers that only listen to them because they thing they're cool.

Especially the alien thing though... they could really have fun with that.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:21 AM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Sad but true

YGOfvn,

Granted, it's not highly plausible, but you got to admit it'll be fun seeing the other ideas people could come up with and post here. Maynard did do a season of "Mr. Show" I've read, so there's always hope...

Your second comment though, I kind of have to disagree. It's like Maynard said, "If there's one thing I have faith in, it's that average Tool fan has above average intelligence than in general." I don't reckon all those little goobers in slip-knot t-shirts, listening to I-hate-mommy rock wouldn't have the attention span required to sit through 60 minutes or 90 that kind of mind-fuck circus the band-members would create. So I believe the hallowed halls of this venerable bastion would be secure.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #4
$2 + a potato = $2

Bincount™: 7267
I would hope Tool would never make a movie, and I know they wouldn't. They would get entirely too much publicty, and non Tool fans would say the movie sucked cause they thought Tool sucks. Too much publicity and too much of a problem. Keep Tool off the big screen, the director would screw it up anyway. Also, the angst-ridden teens with their ball 'n chain jewelry, overly baggy pants, pointy hair, Slipknot T-shirts, and whiny childhood music would be making their prencense in the audience and would have no idea what Tool were talking about. Don't put Tool in the movies please.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:49 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 962
Tool the movie, well that should lift them up to the great heights of the Spice Girls. Seriously though I'd love to see Adam Jones do a short film. With he's visual talents it would be sure to be a hit.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:45 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

How about releasing the live Tool video in IMAX theaters across the country! Ohhhh... how glorious that would be!! ::drools::
Old 12-29-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Tool may not release a film to cinema, but why not DVD?
I wouldn't be suprised if Tool made a DVD version of a forthcoming album. And i know i'd wait the extra time and pay the extra money for it

HaLo- LuNAtic riDe-BuY it noW

Old 12-29-2002, 07:00 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

It seams that a lot of the expected tool releases keep getting postponed more and more... i mean, what happened to that schism DVD single? or viynal Lateralus?... and i really hope that live DVD isn't a myth..

As for the movie, that actually would be pretty cool.. Maynard and Danny could write it and Adam could produce and direct.... involve... sacred geometry.. and... aliens... and... make maybe a few new songs for the soundtrack..

one thing i've realized is that it would be really hard to pile all the aspects of tool into one movie. all of it ranges from maynard thoughts on selling out... to... aliens attacking, to the state of the modern world, to.. sacred geometry :-o

hm.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:41 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

You guys apparently forget the box office bomb that was Pink Floyd: The Wall.

It stunk. People hated it. It turned off major Pink Floyd fans.

But you know what?

*I* like it.

Everyone is a film and/or music critic. You'll never please all of the people all of the time, particularly Tool fans, as these boards are proof of.

I say let it happen, if it happens.

Even the people that MADE The Wall hated it (Alan Parker called it the most expensive student film ever made), but Pink Floyd is still one of the Top Ten selling artists of all time, AND they still made damn good music.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:44 PM   #10
$2 + a potato = $2

Bincount™: 7267
After some consideration, I would rather Adam to direct it. A full length motion picture, his awesome visulals and beautiful artwork. Put a storyline along with it and very small appearences by the members and i bet it'd come out awesome. Also, maybe have Alex Grey direct some of the movie, he's an awesome artist and does incredable work.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:13 PM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Now we're cooking!

Alex Ross would make some wild shots as a Director of photography. But I think the more grass-roots and home-spun the movie was the better. I like the thought of it going straight to DVD. Because it is definitely be "cult" (hehe, unforseen pun) move.

I mean, (and I shudder to and am almost ashamed to draw this as an example) Master P's film first film sold a fair quarter million or so on the direct market at the height of his stardom (you know, kind of like wormwood meets a baloon over-blown with helium) That said, the film would in all probability sell easily 3 times that number with little or no advertising.

Since the band members is leery of smearing their mugs on anything having to do with their music, an animated movie might be another medium for them to explore. And plus, animation of some kind would give them creative license to take the piss out of things like they couldn't otherwise in film.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 79
IMAX iit, or DVD it.

Fuck the theaters, and fuck the po-po!
You never meant a word. Not a fucking word of it. I am so sick of goodbyes. So sick of committing suicide. I am so sick of the in between, now and then. So sick of swinging the hammer. So sick of my suicide, of burying every hero that I had.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30
They'll most likely just release it on DVD if they do decide to make a movie, and play it at their concerts; that's what The Flaming Lips are doing with their movie. But I'm not sure I want to see a Tool movie as it'd more than likely be terrible. Psychadelic art music works well as music and perhaps with some strange colorfull videos that work as only music videos, not really as a movie. A movie just doesn't seem fitting for tool. All I'd want for a tool movie would be some pretty colors and strange pictures, like thier concert videos.

I didn't really like The Wall movie; it was too pretentious. But it would've been nice if they just released a 70 minute music video that was just stuff like Goodbye Blue Sky. I'm not a fan of pretentious films, but I think bands can make great movies. For example The Beatles' Yellow Submarine, or the upcomming movie by the Flaming Lips entitled Christmas On Mars.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:41 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Id love to see the members of Tool in a movie.
Possible Plots:

- The band own a kwik-e-mart and spend all day beating up masked robbers. Each having their own skill and special weapon (sort of ala Pokemon..)

- A "Jackass" sort of movie where the members of Tool do stupid stuff hurting themselves (although hopefully not too badly) such as seeing how many copies of Lateralus they can stick between their bumcheeks without causing permanant damage.

- A sweet romantic flick where Danny and Maynard meet in the south of France and escape to a deserted island to live long happy lives together playing the tabla all day.

These are just a few ideas Ive been working on for the past couple of days. I can definately see it happening...
Old 01-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the reverend
Possible Plots:

- The band own a kwik-e-mart and spend all day beating up masked robbers. Each having their own skill and special weapon (sort of ala Pokemon..)

- A "Jackass" sort of movie where the members of Tool do stupid stuff hurting themselves (although hopefully not too badly) such as seeing how many copies of Lateralus they can stick between their bumcheeks without causing permanant damage.

- A sweet romantic flick where Danny and Maynard meet in the south of France and escape to a deserted island to live long happy lives together playing the tabla all day.

These are just a few ideas Ive been working on for the past couple of days. I can definately see it happening...
[/QUOTE

.......nope.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:11 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Choler
Quote:
Originally posted by the reverend
Possible Plots:

[/QUOTE

.......nope.
Ahhh Choler....////

When will you develop a sense of humour??
Or maybe your just trying to catch up to me in your number of posts by replying with one word answers to lots of different threads??!!??
Old 01-11-2003, 09:11 PM   #17
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
Just because it's Tool doesn't at all mean it has to be what you guys are expecting, if they were to make a movie, and I hope they won't, they could just use Adam Jones previous experience from Terminator and such to help out, and Maynard, and the team could write an interesting plot, and script, and then they could cast actors, and not necessarily have to place themselves in it. Maynard has acting experience, and has had an interest in it.

Picture an artsy movie like the Fight Club. Something with a lot of the band's views you've noticed on their cds. I would hope they write a book before attempting a crack at a movie. Not a biography either. Maynard's lyrics are just amazing, I think he could write some good books, because he's a very visual writer. Heh, they could even release a casette release of the book being narrated, and with background music from the Tool team.

Hey, Hulk Hogan has a book, and he has a cassette with him narrating.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:32 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

They could make a movie where they're superhero rock stars. All day they're working hard at normal hard rockin jobs, but at night they rock harder and blow shit up.
Scene 1: They're hangin out with this hot chick and then they pull out their guitars and rock hard, causing the chick to have sex with all of them, and then come back with more hot chicks and they have a huge orgy
Scene 2: They're wailin even harder on their guitars when all of a sudden aliens come down, causing them to pull out their rocket launchers and blow up the aliens, and the stadium because the stadium is big and would allow for a big explosion. Then all these hot alien chicks start having sex with the band
Scene 3: These totally lame Emo-Goths start playing at a concert causing lameness to ensue at the concert. In the background we hear really rockin guitars, but the Emo-Goth band is still dominating. Then the guitars get really really loud and we see that the source of these hard rockin guitars is Tool, and the've got all these babes around them and they're smokin bluntz. The Emo-Goths procede to make out with other guys because they're stupid homos. Then it turns out the lame Emo Goths are actually an army of aliens and then there's a totally badass fight and with really big explosions and random orgies and a more rockin than in any movie. The dust clears and only tool, their bluntz, and their sluts remain.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:09 AM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
... Aaaaaaaahahahaha, Y ES.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by J1516
They could make a movie where they're superhero rock stars. All day they're working hard at normal hard rockin jobs, but at night they rock harder and blow shit up.
Scene 1: They're hangin out with this hot chick and then they pull out their guitars and rock hard, causing the chick to have sex with all of them, and then come back with more hot chicks and they have a huge orgy
Scene 2: They're wailin even harder on their guitars when all of a sudden aliens come down, causing them to pull out their rocket launchers and blow up the aliens, and the stadium because the stadium is big and would allow for a big explosion. Then all these hot alien chicks start having sex with the band
Scene 3: These totally lame Emo-Goths start playing at a concert causing lameness to ensue at the concert. In the background we hear really rockin guitars, but the Emo-Goth band is still dominating. Then the guitars get really really loud and we see that the source of these hard rockin guitars is Tool, and the've got all these babes around them and they're smokin bluntz. The Emo-Goths procede to make out with other guys because they're stupid homos. Then it turns out the lame Emo Goths are actually an army of aliens and then there's a totally badass fight and with really big explosions and random orgies and a more rockin than in any movie. The dust clears and only tool, their bluntz, and their sluts remain.
These ideas are great keep em coming.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:05 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
I like the idea of a Tool movie. But I think instead of dialogue and the such that the story should be told using the music of Tool... in muhc the same way the that The Wall uses music as the main narrative force.

A more likely situation would be a Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same thing. With footage of the band live, fantasy sequences accompanying songs and back stage behind the scenes footages of the band hanging, and interveiws and that sorta thing.

I don't really like the idea of a Bad Taste sorta farce with random aliens running around and the band making dicks of themselves. Alhthough it would be quite funny.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:49 PM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally posted by J1516
Eh, no, that wouldn't work, too "United States of Whatever"-ish...
Old 01-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Possible Plots:

Maybe there's some nuance of inflection lost in the post, but that wouldn't happen to be a note of sarcasm I'm detecting, would it?
Old 01-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #24

It was meant to be a joke.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

well mine wasn't. Tool rockin, bluntz, sluts, explosions, possible appearances by Cex. What could be a better movie?
Old 01-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Possible Plots:

My feelings were a little hurt when I first read this. But then you got me wondering, "Who'd be the bitch and who'd be the butch?" Danny's a big guy, but Maynard knows that Grace Ju-Jitsu shit.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: