Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
bobrutus87
07-30-2009, 03:09 PM

I would have to say that Tool played very well. Folks, Maynard was Maynard. Of course he's not going to be the same as 7 years ago. Artists change and grow as time goes along. If this does not happen, then you can no longer be called an artist. Although it may not be what you wanted it to be, it was exactly what he wanted it to be. When a painter paints a picture, he or she doesn't paint according to what the viewers want, they paint according to what they see, what they want. As far as the setlist goes, I have no idea. I can see why people would be dissapointed with the exact same thing they have seen over and over again. I was also pissed about the Euology tease. My eyes got wide for just a second. And, i'm thinking maybe Mayanrd wanted us to look at the visuals instead of him; or maybe he was just pissed about the guy with the laser, who knows. As for the fans, I was in section 112 not far up at all...row L i think. I had a great view of the stage, and was pleased with the people surrounding me...no problems...good thing about having a seat i suppose. But, all in all i was pleased, especially with the light show which was exquisite. I will see them again.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.29.09 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangle's Coliseum

I would have to say that Tool played very well. Folks, Maynard was Maynard. Of course he's not going to be the same as 7 years ago. Artists change and grow as time goes along. If this does not happen, then you can no longer be called an artist. Although it may not be what you wanted it to be, it was exactly what he wanted it to be. When a painter paints a picture, he or she doesn't paint according to what the viewers want, they paint according to what they see, what they want. As far as the setlist goes, I have no idea. I can see why people would be dissapointed with the exact same thing they have seen over and over again. I was also pissed about the Euology tease. My eyes got wide for just a second. And, i'm thinking maybe Mayanrd wanted us to look at the visuals instead of him; or maybe he was just pissed about the guy with the laser, who knows. As for the fans, I was in section 112 not far up at all...row L i think. I had a great view of the stage, and was pleased with the people surrounding me...no problems...good thing about having a seat i suppose. But, all in all i was pleased, especially with the light show which was exquisite. I will see them again.
OFFLINE |  
jon46and2's Avatar jon46and2
07-30-2009, 03:22 PM

I have been a fan of Tool since 1994. This is my 3rd Tool show and my first since 2001. I'll try not to be redundant here. Overall, I was very pleased with the performance and had a great time. We had floor tickets and showed up fairly early. We drove in the back way and was glad that I did, because when we crossed the overpass I noticed that concert traffic was backed up about a mile up Independence Blvd. in the exit lane. Luckily we had no problems with the traffic, so I was able to get a spot close to the front. I ended up about 4 rows back from the rail in front of Adam.

At the previous shows that I attended in 2001, which were outdoor venues (Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Charlotte and Walnut Creek Amphitheater in Raleigh), I had lawn tickets and was fairly far away. Being up front was awesome, besides the fact that my ears are still ringing from being under the hanging tower speakers. It was very loud, but it's always cool to feel the bass thumping in your chest! The vocals seemed a little buried to me, but it may have just been my position under the speakers.

As far as the playlist, I read the reviews of the past shows on the tour and I knew what to expect. Sure there are songs I would have loved to hear, but it wasn't a disappointment. I thought it was a good mix of older and newer material. I agree there were a lot of jackasses at this show, but anytime you get that many people together in one place, it's to be expected. I realize that it's a rock concert, it's crowded, and people want to have fun, but when you start knocking into me and elbowing my girlfriend in the head, that's where I have to draw the line.

There were a lot of cool people there too though, there were some guys behind me that helped me keep the assholes shoved out of our area. At one point some guy came out of nowhere and crashed into the guys behind me and shoved his way to the front, it was ridiculous. I mean, if you want a spot up front, get there early like everybody else did. I was more than happy to help anyone that had to leave to get beer or go to the bathroom get back up front to their original spot, but not these line jumping assholes.

I saw the kid with the laser pointer getting busted and from where I was standing it looked like they tossed him over the rail on his head, a couple of the security guys grabbed him, dragged him by us and carried him out, I thought it was pretty funny. Also, one of the security guys kept running around throwing water on people with cameras when he saw them, I got hit a few times, because a girl in front of me kept taking pics.

Maynard was in the back as usual, which I don't have a problem with, let him stand wherever he wants to and stop reading so much into it already. Danny was amazing as always, a beast on the drums. I saw where someone mentioned that Danny threw some frisbees out after the show, just to clarify, those were actually drum heads. I had a good view of Adam and after the show he seemed very appreciative of the fans and that was cool. I thought the lights and visuals were well done too, different from the 2001 shows. Kudos to the crew.

After the show, I thought everyone was pretty courteous in the parking lot and we were able to get out of there in about 15 minutes, I was expecting at least an hour, so that was a pleasant surprise. The back entrance was definitely the best. Based on my experience at this show, I would definitely go see them for a fourth time. It's always great seeing them live!

BTW, I thought Tweak Bird did a pretty good job, I will definitely check them out. Cool to see a 2 piece band with a sound that big.

Last edited by jon46and2; 07-30-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

I have been a fan of Tool since 1994. This is my 3rd Tool show and my first since 2001. I'll try not to be redundant here. Overall, I was very pleased with the performance and had a great time. We had floor tickets and showed up fairly early. We drove in the back way and was glad that I did, because when we crossed the overpass I noticed that concert traffic was backed up about a mile up Independence Blvd. in the exit lane. Luckily we had no problems with the traffic, so I was able to get a spot close to the front. I ended up about 4 rows back from the rail in front of Adam.

At the previous shows that I attended in 2001, which were outdoor venues (Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Charlotte and Walnut Creek Amphitheater in Raleigh), I had lawn tickets and was fairly far away. Being up front was awesome, besides the fact that my ears are still ringing from being under the hanging tower speakers. It was very loud, but it's always cool to feel the bass thumping in your chest! The vocals seemed a little buried to me, but it may have just been my position under the speakers.

As far as the playlist, I read the reviews of the past shows on the tour and I knew what to expect. Sure there are songs I would have loved to hear, but it wasn't a disappointment. I thought it was a good mix of older and newer material. I agree there were a lot of jackasses at this show, but anytime you get that many people together in one place, it's to be expected. I realize that it's a rock concert, it's crowded, and people want to have fun, but when you start knocking into me and elbowing my girlfriend in the head, that's where I have to draw the line.

There were a lot of cool people there too though, there were some guys behind me that helped me keep the assholes shoved out of our area. At one point some guy came out of nowhere and crashed into the guys behind me and shoved his way to the front, it was ridiculous. I mean, if you want a spot up front, get there early like everybody else did. I was more than happy to help anyone that had to leave to get beer or go to the bathroom get back up front to their original spot, but not these line jumping assholes.

I saw the kid with the laser pointer getting busted and from where I was standing it looked like they tossed him over the rail on his head, a couple of the security guys grabbed him, dragged him by us and carried him out, I thought it was pretty funny. Also, one of the security guys kept running around throwing water on people with cameras when he saw them, I got hit a few times, because a girl in front of me kept taking pics.

Maynard was in the back as usual, which I don't have a problem with, let him stand wherever he wants to and stop reading so much into it already. Danny was amazing as always, a beast on the drums. I saw where someone mentioned that Danny threw some frisbees out after the show, just to clarify, those were actually drum heads. I had a good view of Adam and after the show he seemed very appreciative of the fans and that was cool. I thought the lights and visuals were well done too, different from the 2001 shows. Kudos to the crew.

After the show, I thought everyone was pretty courteous in the parking lot and we were able to get out of there in about 15 minutes, I was expecting at least an hour, so that was a pleasant surprise. The back entrance was definitely the best. Based on my experience at this show, I would definitely go see them for a fourth time. It's always great seeing them live!

BTW, I thought Tweak Bird did a pretty good job, I will definitely check them out. Cool to see a 2 piece band with a sound that big.

Last edited by jon46and2; 07-30-2009 at 03:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
l David l
07-30-2009, 03:43 PM

^^^ dude, break that up into paragraphs, or whatever. wayyy to hard to read.

also, the thunder you guys heard I believe is part of their intro to the flood. you get some thunder then sound of rain, then the flood. first time I heard the thunder on this tour was in duluth and i thought we were about to get a special treat of wings/10k days. although that song isnt the greatest live.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

^^^ dude, break that up into paragraphs, or whatever. wayyy to hard to read.

also, the thunder you guys heard I believe is part of their intro to the flood. you get some thunder then sound of rain, then the flood. first time I heard the thunder on this tour was in duluth and i thought we were about to get a special treat of wings/10k days. although that song isnt the greatest live.
OFFLINE |  
megatom5
07-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by third.beyond View Post
One more thing. I strained to listen to maynard's lyrics during aenema. They were changed up a bit. But it sounded to me at one point that he said "fret for your blogging" Lol. Did anyone else hear that?
Yeah I definitely heard some new lyrics on this song. I am almost certain he said "fret for your blog" and "fret for your slinky" yes I swear he said slinky. Anyone else think they heard some wierd stuff on this song.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
One more thing. I strained to listen to maynard's lyrics during aenema. They were changed up a bit. But it sounded to me at one point that he said "fret for your blogging" Lol. Did anyone else hear that?
Yeah I definitely heard some new lyrics on this song. I am almost certain he said "fret for your blog" and "fret for your slinky" yes I swear he said slinky. Anyone else think they heard some wierd stuff on this song.
OFFLINE |  
megatom5
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands View Post
I heard the eulogy tease (and about punched my friend in the face with glee). I also was almost positive wings/10k was coming after they started playing the thunder.

Second Tool show, saw them in Winston-Salem in 2007 and this show was a little better IMO. I dug the fuck out of Aenema which I've wanted to see live since I started listening to Tool in 2002 or so, and everything else was great. That venue was just as bad as Joel Coliseum though, total clusterfuck bodypress everywhere and tons of drunken meathead douches that should think about learning to swim. That having been said the people around me were pretty cool.

I think it was during the soundscape prelude to either Aenema or Vicarious that some dude in a section pretty close by was literally shrieking "PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE" over and over again, if I had been close to him I'd have high-fived for sure. He was literally yelling himself hoarse repeating it for like 3 or 4 minutes. I still hope someday I'll see that song live.
Yeah the seemed to be teasing a bunch of songs at this show. I heard the buzzing sound from pushit and either adam or justin did the guitar scratch from Prison Sex, both of these teases had me almost jumping for joy. But alas none of this comes to fruition. During the Prison Sex tease I thought I saw Adam and Danny look over to Maynard and he shook his head. FYI I was basically right beside Justin but not on the floor.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands View Post
I heard the eulogy tease (and about punched my friend in the face with glee). I also was almost positive wings/10k was coming after they started playing the thunder.

Second Tool show, saw them in Winston-Salem in 2007 and this show was a little better IMO. I dug the fuck out of Aenema which I've wanted to see live since I started listening to Tool in 2002 or so, and everything else was great. That venue was just as bad as Joel Coliseum though, total clusterfuck bodypress everywhere and tons of drunken meathead douches that should think about learning to swim. That having been said the people around me were pretty cool.

I think it was during the soundscape prelude to either Aenema or Vicarious that some dude in a section pretty close by was literally shrieking "PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE" over and over again, if I had been close to him I'd have high-fived for sure. He was literally yelling himself hoarse repeating it for like 3 or 4 minutes. I still hope someday I'll see that song live.
Yeah the seemed to be teasing a bunch of songs at this show. I heard the buzzing sound from pushit and either adam or justin did the guitar scratch from Prison Sex, both of these teases had me almost jumping for joy. But alas none of this comes to fruition. During the Prison Sex tease I thought I saw Adam and Danny look over to Maynard and he shook his head. FYI I was basically right beside Justin but not on the floor.
OFFLINE |  
megatom5
07-30-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R1 View Post
This was my third show. I saw them in Knoxville in '02 and in Greenville on the 10Kdays tour. Everyone is seems to focus their negativity on Maynard, but he seemed to be more animated then he was at the previous shows. The only thing I didn't care for with respect to Maynard was him singing Vicarious through the megaphone. The worst thing was is the fucking traffic. I left Columbia, SC at 6:00 and was within 2 miles of the arena by 7:20. I did not get to my seat until the beginning of 46+2! It was ridiculous! I was so pissed I missed Jambi because it is such a kick ass song to start the show. I will NEVER go to a show at that arena again. I'm really hoping this was not a farewell tour. My next goal is to see them in an outdoor venue. Sorry I am kind of rambling, but I am still recovering...
I had a read hard time with traffic too I guess you came up 77. The traffic on Independence Blv was rediculous and from what I could tell it wasn't even for the show as it turned off about a half mile before the arena. Note to anyone who goes to this venue again. I've been their several times, recently to see Slipknot in February and the best thing to do with is to park at the little hotel beside the arena they never tow, there are always people tailgating. I got out of their in about two minutes. And they have a surprisingly cool security staff.
Security Gaurd: "Did you put up that bottle of rum"
Me: "Uh... What bottle?"
SG: "Just make sure it's in your trunk, I don't think you want to get an open container."

Last edited by marcus; 07-30-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R1 View Post
This was my third show. I saw them in Knoxville in '02 and in Greenville on the 10Kdays tour. Everyone is seems to focus their negativity on Maynard, but he seemed to be more animated then he was at the previous shows. The only thing I didn't care for with respect to Maynard was him singing Vicarious through the megaphone. The worst thing was is the fucking traffic. I left Columbia, SC at 6:00 and was within 2 miles of the arena by 7:20. I did not get to my seat until the beginning of 46+2! It was ridiculous! I was so pissed I missed Jambi because it is such a kick ass song to start the show. I will NEVER go to a show at that arena again. I'm really hoping this was not a farewell tour. My next goal is to see them in an outdoor venue. Sorry I am kind of rambling, but I am still recovering...
I had a read hard time with traffic too I guess you came up 77. The traffic on Independence Blv was rediculous and from what I could tell it wasn't even for the show as it turned off about a half mile before the arena. Note to anyone who goes to this venue again. I've been their several times, recently to see Slipknot in February and the best thing to do with is to park at the little hotel beside the arena they never tow, there are always people tailgating. I got out of their in about two minutes. And they have a surprisingly cool security staff.
Security Gaurd: "Did you put up that bottle of rum"
Me: "Uh... What bottle?"
SG: "Just make sure it's in your trunk, I don't think you want to get an open container."

Last edited by marcus; 07-30-2009 at 10:45 PM..
OFFLINE |  
YUBitchin
07-30-2009, 05:30 PM

About 10 rows back of Adam on floor. Great show.

I heard MJK clear all night. What more do people want for a summer tour?
I think it was cool they were playing w/o an album to promote.

Also, if you want this band to play covers, please, someone, refund these people and help them back to the bus, the short bus.

I wish they would have played longer too but it was an incredible show.

People want to hear that one song. If they played that one song for everyone they'de still be playing. I saw one girl crying 'cause they didn't play Sober. Really. I think she's living it.

No venue that big can produce even a single acoustic. How can MJK keep in time when a wall of sound is bouncing back at him a third time. Still it sounded great.

The crowd. Not bad except for the dancers. I was there to see TOOL, others came to see Usher. Dancers? How pitiful. Anyone angry and ready to fight should be sent for the dancers.

Also, couldn't see the 4-man pose off for all the camera phones, silly.

Do you not feel a second of suspension when they take the stage? If you weren't into the hysteria when Stinkfist played then, please, stay at the 4 hour Metallica show. In fact, that's your punishment.

I would have paid 10 times that much to provide the euphoria of the show and the afterglow. Thanks guys, see you in the Queen City.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

About 10 rows back of Adam on floor. Great show.

I heard MJK clear all night. What more do people want for a summer tour?
I think it was cool they were playing w/o an album to promote.

Also, if you want this band to play covers, please, someone, refund these people and help them back to the bus, the short bus.

I wish they would have played longer too but it was an incredible show.

People want to hear that one song. If they played that one song for everyone they'de still be playing. I saw one girl crying 'cause they didn't play Sober. Really. I think she's living it.

No venue that big can produce even a single acoustic. How can MJK keep in time when a wall of sound is bouncing back at him a third time. Still it sounded great.

The crowd. Not bad except for the dancers. I was there to see TOOL, others came to see Usher. Dancers? How pitiful. Anyone angry and ready to fight should be sent for the dancers.

Also, couldn't see the 4-man pose off for all the camera phones, silly.

Do you not feel a second of suspension when they take the stage? If you weren't into the hysteria when Stinkfist played then, please, stay at the 4 hour Metallica show. In fact, that's your punishment.

I would have paid 10 times that much to provide the euphoria of the show and the afterglow. Thanks guys, see you in the Queen City.
OFFLINE |  
Toolchapel
07-30-2009, 06:48 PM

Ok so I have been a tool fan for 16 years! I have seen tool "back in the good days" so to speak like people are posting on here. To tell you the truth last night was a good show. The fans were god awful cant believe I live in a state with such ignorant assholes!! People fighting before the first song is even half way done?!?! Who the fuck goes to a Tool concert to fight! Then people being so drunk they pass the fuck out before tweak bird is even dont with their set?? I mean where do these butt nuggets come from and WHY are they tool fans cause they obviously dont get what Tool is all about. anyway back to show sorry lol

As far as everyone bitching about maynard and him being in the back and saying he cant sing... umm in Charlotte in 2001 as I recall he was also in the back and not in the front so since about 2000-2001 maynard has been flirting with this whole act. And honestly who really gives a fuck its Tool!!! Be glad that one day when we are all old fucks and these little punk ass kids say "man I wish I could have seen tool play live". WE CAN!! so get the fuck over it and quit bitching about maynard!!! The sound sucked ass in that closet of a arena good view but shitty ass sound. You could almost spit from one side of the arena to the other haha. If you honestly think maynard can no longer since if you get the chance before they are all done with tours GO TO A OUTDOOR EVENT! I have seen them outdoors and Indoors and indoors you never heard maynard well but outdoors sounds totally different.

I thought the guys were pretty fucking spot on last night and I mean ALL even maynard. As far as people bitching about the setlist..... ITS 16 FUCKING SHOWS!! lol what do you expect them to do spend 30million to make a couple million so you can hear THE SONG that you want to hear? Give me a break be fucking proud that they are stopping in your city on this short tour! I will see tool every chance I get untill they stop or I die whatever comes first haha There will never be another maynard, danny, adam, or justin!! so take it when you can get it and enjoy the show and stop all the bitching damn. ok im done spiral out
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok so I have been a tool fan for 16 years! I have seen tool "back in the good days" so to speak like people are posting on here. To tell you the truth last night was a good show. The fans were god awful cant believe I live in a state with such ignorant assholes!! People fighting before the first song is even half way done?!?! Who the fuck goes to a Tool concert to fight! Then people being so drunk they pass the fuck out before tweak bird is even dont with their set?? I mean where do these butt nuggets come from and WHY are they tool fans cause they obviously dont get what Tool is all about. anyway back to show sorry lol

As far as everyone bitching about maynard and him being in the back and saying he cant sing... umm in Charlotte in 2001 as I recall he was also in the back and not in the front so since about 2000-2001 maynard has been flirting with this whole act. And honestly who really gives a fuck its Tool!!! Be glad that one day when we are all old fucks and these little punk ass kids say "man I wish I could have seen tool play live". WE CAN!! so get the fuck over it and quit bitching about maynard!!! The sound sucked ass in that closet of a arena good view but shitty ass sound. You could almost spit from one side of the arena to the other haha. If you honestly think maynard can no longer since if you get the chance before they are all done with tours GO TO A OUTDOOR EVENT! I have seen them outdoors and Indoors and indoors you never heard maynard well but outdoors sounds totally different.

I thought the guys were pretty fucking spot on last night and I mean ALL even maynard. As far as people bitching about the setlist..... ITS 16 FUCKING SHOWS!! lol what do you expect them to do spend 30million to make a couple million so you can hear THE SONG that you want to hear? Give me a break be fucking proud that they are stopping in your city on this short tour! I will see tool every chance I get untill they stop or I die whatever comes first haha There will never be another maynard, danny, adam, or justin!! so take it when you can get it and enjoy the show and stop all the bitching damn. ok im done spiral out
OFFLINE |  
Lotus2thrdeye
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM

I never mentioned this earlier and I feel it neccessary to do so now. Tweak Bird was amazing. A lot of talent in that band.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

I never mentioned this earlier and I feel it neccessary to do so now. Tweak Bird was amazing. A lot of talent in that band.
OFFLINE |  
RoseofDark
07-31-2009, 06:45 PM

This was my second Tool show. I loved it. As always Maynard was amazing, as was the rest of the band. The light show was amazing. The negative, I had floor tickets. I was the first in line and didn't get in front, which was fine. When Tool started to play the people became stupid, pushing their way through the crowd. Should have gotten there earlier if they wanted good spots. When Maynard seen fights break out he turned his back, other than that, he faced sideways. But that is Maynard, he can do what he pleases! I moved to the back to get away from the idiots. Thanks Maynard for coming here. The coliseum is small and old but I would go anywhere to see Maynard. Just next time I will get seats
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second Tool show. I loved it. As always Maynard was amazing, as was the rest of the band. The light show was amazing. The negative, I had floor tickets. I was the first in line and didn't get in front, which was fine. When Tool started to play the people became stupid, pushing their way through the crowd. Should have gotten there earlier if they wanted good spots. When Maynard seen fights break out he turned his back, other than that, he faced sideways. But that is Maynard, he can do what he pleases! I moved to the back to get away from the idiots. Thanks Maynard for coming here. The coliseum is small and old but I would go anywhere to see Maynard. Just next time I will get seats
OFFLINE |  
dr funkmaster's Avatar dr funkmaster
07-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Nothing really unique to add to the conversation, but had a great time at show #9. Sound was great on the floor...though I had to take a receipt in my pocket, tear it up, and use that as ear plugs, hah. The reverb before Jambi was about to make my ear drums explode. Was hoping for something different from Atlanta, but I'm not complaining.

Lateralus was particular amazing this time and Danny, Justin, and even Adam were impressed and laughing at Tweak Birds drummer's performance. Maynard starting it off with "Let the drumsturbation begin!" was pretty hilarious as well.

I always love Flood live and Rosetta Stoned has been particularly crisp this tour.

Overall excellent show. My only regret was not getting one of the 2009 concert posters there since I didn't realize they were soldout online already. Oh well...I'll see if ebay prices come down in a few months.

If any of you were in the group of us throwing the frisbee around for an hour in the parking after the show, thanks for a great time. And if you were around while we were shrieking the guitar part to Parabola coming from some dude's car, I hope you were amused more than horrified, haha. Traffic forced us to skip dinner so I think the beers affected us a little more than usual, hah.

Last edited by dr funkmaster; 08-01-2009 at 07:58 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #51
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Nothing really unique to add to the conversation, but had a great time at show #9. Sound was great on the floor...though I had to take a receipt in my pocket, tear it up, and use that as ear plugs, hah. The reverb before Jambi was about to make my ear drums explode. Was hoping for something different from Atlanta, but I'm not complaining.

Lateralus was particular amazing this time and Danny, Justin, and even Adam were impressed and laughing at Tweak Birds drummer's performance. Maynard starting it off with "Let the drumsturbation begin!" was pretty hilarious as well.

I always love Flood live and Rosetta Stoned has been particularly crisp this tour.

Overall excellent show. My only regret was not getting one of the 2009 concert posters there since I didn't realize they were soldout online already. Oh well...I'll see if ebay prices come down in a few months.

If any of you were in the group of us throwing the frisbee around for an hour in the parking after the show, thanks for a great time. And if you were around while we were shrieking the guitar part to Parabola coming from some dude's car, I hope you were amused more than horrified, haha. Traffic forced us to skip dinner so I think the beers affected us a little more than usual, hah.

Last edited by dr funkmaster; 08-01-2009 at 07:58 AM..
OFFLINE |  
gigiallin
08-01-2009, 02:11 AM

love tool. saw them 15 years ago for the first time and several times since. glad i went however, if ever aenema made me feel better about my own misanthropy this was the time. the people next to my husband and myself were idiots. don't they realize they are the ones being described in the song as they sing along? i'll answer my own question...with a resounding, NO!! thusly their "idiot" status. i physically had to move one person from directly in front of my face. he hadn't previously been there, walked over to TALK to his friends and wanted to stand about 1/2" in front of my face to do so even though there was room all around us. then there were the dumb whores dancing like club kids to the music. i felt like vomiting in my own mouth.

the acoustics in the venue were horrid at best and the traffic to get to the parking area was atrocious. won't go to that venue again.

all this being said and as aforementioned, i do love tool and am glad i attended.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

love tool. saw them 15 years ago for the first time and several times since. glad i went however, if ever aenema made me feel better about my own misanthropy this was the time. the people next to my husband and myself were idiots. don't they realize they are the ones being described in the song as they sing along? i'll answer my own question...with a resounding, NO!! thusly their "idiot" status. i physically had to move one person from directly in front of my face. he hadn't previously been there, walked over to TALK to his friends and wanted to stand about 1/2" in front of my face to do so even though there was room all around us. then there were the dumb whores dancing like club kids to the music. i felt like vomiting in my own mouth.

the acoustics in the venue were horrid at best and the traffic to get to the parking area was atrocious. won't go to that venue again.

all this being said and as aforementioned, i do love tool and am glad i attended.
OFFLINE |  
Freshspence
08-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Question on the CLT venue-specific posters: For those that purchased one (either signed or not) would you mind sharing the total number in the bottom left corner? i got a signed and its ##/400ish. im mainly wondering if that is indicating there were 400ish signed ones or 400 total signed/not signed. im not asking for anything other than my own curiousity. i will not be selling on ebay. can PM me if dont want to reveal in the open forum. thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Question on the CLT venue-specific posters: For those that purchased one (either signed or not) would you mind sharing the total number in the bottom left corner? i got a signed and its ##/400ish. im mainly wondering if that is indicating there were 400ish signed ones or 400 total signed/not signed. im not asking for anything other than my own curiousity. i will not be selling on ebay. can PM me if dont want to reveal in the open forum. thanks in advance.
OFFLINE |  
CzarCDG's Avatar CzarCDG
08-03-2009, 09:46 AM

I thought the show was good as always. I agree with everyone else in wanting to see the setlist changed up a bit. It is a good selection of songs. I've just seen it many times. The band sounded great as Maynard lurked in the shadows. I respect him enough to accept any way he wants to perform. He just did not seem to feel well. The visuals were impressive. Especially the change in lighting with Alex Grey's backdrop. I bought my $100 autographed poster and went home happy after seeing my favorite band live. Does Adam do 450 signed/unsigned posters per show or 450 total. Tweak Bird is a great opener for Tool. Same Tool setlist live > any other band live...

Last edited by CzarCDG; 08-03-2009 at 10:00 AM..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought the show was good as always. I agree with everyone else in wanting to see the setlist changed up a bit. It is a good selection of songs. I've just seen it many times. The band sounded great as Maynard lurked in the shadows. I respect him enough to accept any way he wants to perform. He just did not seem to feel well. The visuals were impressive. Especially the change in lighting with Alex Grey's backdrop. I bought my $100 autographed poster and went home happy after seeing my favorite band live. Does Adam do 450 signed/unsigned posters per show or 450 total. Tweak Bird is a great opener for Tool. Same Tool setlist live > any other band live...

Last edited by CzarCDG; 08-03-2009 at 10:00 AM..
OFFLINE |  
shadowfromwithin
08-03-2009, 01:24 PM

This was my first Tool concert and I was completely blown away. Maynard was super in the fact that he let the rest of the band shine as well as the art. This was the most spectatular event I have ever witnessed. To me the set list catalouged their work greatly. There were a couple of personal favs I would have liked to hear, but other than that it was great. Danny of course was awesome. I don't think you will ever find a more talented group of artist. The light show and art were out of this world amazing. Thank you Tool for the awsome experience and I hope you come back to NC soon.

I did see one complete idiot in front of me dancing in the walk way obstructing the view. But the people beside my husband and I were really cool and were a pleasure to sit beside.

Parking was not bad and we were able to get out pretty quick. The staff was also very helpful and polite.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert and I was completely blown away. Maynard was super in the fact that he let the rest of the band shine as well as the art. This was the most spectatular event I have ever witnessed. To me the set list catalouged their work greatly. There were a couple of personal favs I would have liked to hear, but other than that it was great. Danny of course was awesome. I don't think you will ever find a more talented group of artist. The light show and art were out of this world amazing. Thank you Tool for the awsome experience and I hope you come back to NC soon.

I did see one complete idiot in front of me dancing in the walk way obstructing the view. But the people beside my husband and I were really cool and were a pleasure to sit beside.

Parking was not bad and we were able to get out pretty quick. The staff was also very helpful and polite.
OFFLINE |  
KarmaTheDog
08-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Tool is my favorite band but I must say I was let down a little. The screen visuals were not up to par. Seen better shit on the youtube posts. Same set as all the other shows so far. And kill the sound man. I couldn't hear maynard at all. The rest of the band was tight as usual. Tweak Bird is amazing. Must buy thier cd.
I flew out from Va to see them. This was my third show. I saw them in 97 and 01. Both of those shows were unreal. I'm feeling these guys (mostly Maynard) are getting bored with TOOL. TOOL was about shocking or making people think. I feel like thier last cd is something they just slapped together. I was hoping for less 10000day songs and more older stuff.. At least Pushit, the patient, opiate...but A bad TOOL show is better than a good show from papa roach(who was in town at the time and I drank w/ the drummer at Connells pub) or anyother crap band..
Out of 1-10 I give it a 7.5 The Va beach lateralus concert was an 10 as was seeing them in va beach lalapoloza.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool is my favorite band but I must say I was let down a little. The screen visuals were not up to par. Seen better shit on the youtube posts. Same set as all the other shows so far. And kill the sound man. I couldn't hear maynard at all. The rest of the band was tight as usual. Tweak Bird is amazing. Must buy thier cd.
I flew out from Va to see them. This was my third show. I saw them in 97 and 01. Both of those shows were unreal. I'm feeling these guys (mostly Maynard) are getting bored with TOOL. TOOL was about shocking or making people think. I feel like thier last cd is something they just slapped together. I was hoping for less 10000day songs and more older stuff.. At least Pushit, the patient, opiate...but A bad TOOL show is better than a good show from papa roach(who was in town at the time and I drank w/ the drummer at Connells pub) or anyother crap band..
Out of 1-10 I give it a 7.5 The Va beach lateralus concert was an 10 as was seeing them in va beach lalapoloza.
OFFLINE |  
Timshel
08-03-2009, 04:20 PM

It's not the sound guy's fault the venue is a sixty year old dump that wasn't designed for acoustics.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

It's not the sound guy's fault the venue is a sixty year old dump that wasn't designed for acoustics.
OFFLINE |  
SpiralOut67's Avatar SpiralOut67
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM

I don't know what everyone else was expecting from this tour but DAMMIT PLEASE leave Maynard the fuck alone! I don't know where everyone else was standing at, but from sec. 109, row F, seats 5 & 6,(halfway back,twenty rows up) the sound was fucking amazing and I thought everyone in the band had good energy and seemed to really enjoy themselves. Lateralus damn near sent my heart into spams!

Maynard had to start the show off dealing with the douchebag with the laser pointer but I think he sang well and put on a great show. Everyone who bitched about the voice-box on Stinkfist listen to the CD, that's how the song is supposed to be sung! We all know that Maynard has been removing himself from the spotlight for some time now. Why is his lack of "spotlight" time a surprise to anyone? I think he just wants the focus on the whole group and the total experience at a TOOL show and not so focused on him.

Why can't all of you who are on here bitching about the setlist just appreciate the fact that Maynard, Danny, Justin and Adam took time from their summer to come out on tour so that we could see the greatest fucking band of all time perform for our enjoyment? I mean come on, I'd pay to see TOOL play the fucking alphabet EVERY night if they would do it, wouldn't you? Then take a deep breath, quit bitching because they didn't play Sober or Prison Sex (If you knew anything about Maynard you would know that he has stated that he has moved past those things in his life and won't be singing about them any more, so get over it!), and just relish in the fact that you got to see TOOL play at least one last time!

I loved the show. I loved the sound. I loved everyone's effort and I would just like to take this time to say THANK YOU to TOOL for coming to my city and rocking out in the first place I ever saw a concert when I was a kid!!! It is a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life! You guys rock!!!

Last edited by SpiralOut67; 08-04-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

I don't know what everyone else was expecting from this tour but DAMMIT PLEASE leave Maynard the fuck alone! I don't know where everyone else was standing at, but from sec. 109, row F, seats 5 & 6,(halfway back,twenty rows up) the sound was fucking amazing and I thought everyone in the band had good energy and seemed to really enjoy themselves. Lateralus damn near sent my heart into spams!

Maynard had to start the show off dealing with the douchebag with the laser pointer but I think he sang well and put on a great show. Everyone who bitched about the voice-box on Stinkfist listen to the CD, that's how the song is supposed to be sung! We all know that Maynard has been removing himself from the spotlight for some time now. Why is his lack of "spotlight" time a surprise to anyone? I think he just wants the focus on the whole group and the total experience at a TOOL show and not so focused on him.

Why can't all of you who are on here bitching about the setlist just appreciate the fact that Maynard, Danny, Justin and Adam took time from their summer to come out on tour so that we could see the greatest fucking band of all time perform for our enjoyment? I mean come on, I'd pay to see TOOL play the fucking alphabet EVERY night if they would do it, wouldn't you? Then take a deep breath, quit bitching because they didn't play Sober or Prison Sex (If you knew anything about Maynard you would know that he has stated that he has moved past those things in his life and won't be singing about them any more, so get over it!), and just relish in the fact that you got to see TOOL play at least one last time!

I loved the show. I loved the sound. I loved everyone's effort and I would just like to take this time to say THANK YOU to TOOL for coming to my city and rocking out in the first place I ever saw a concert when I was a kid!!! It is a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life! You guys rock!!!

Last edited by SpiralOut67; 08-04-2009 at 12:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
mupetmower
08-05-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
I'm still not sure how I feel about this show. It was amazing, regardless... but I don't know if I left feeling the way that I expected to feel. I now believe that I left the show feeling the way that Tool wanted the audience to feel.

- The one time I used the restroom, there were three empty bottles of Delsym cough syrup and two empty containers of Zicam cough spray on the floor. X'D

Haha. Those were mine. 0.o
Thats really funny that someone commented on that.

Last edited by marcus; 08-05-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I'm still not sure how I feel about this show. It was amazing, regardless... but I don't know if I left feeling the way that I expected to feel. I now believe that I left the show feeling the way that Tool wanted the audience to feel.

- The one time I used the restroom, there were three empty bottles of Delsym cough syrup and two empty containers of Zicam cough spray on the floor. X'D

Haha. Those were mine. 0.o
Thats really funny that someone commented on that.

Last edited by marcus; 08-05-2009 at 08:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
organicdestroyer's Avatar organicdestroyer
08-05-2009, 07:37 AM

We stayed at the Marriott in Matthews about 10 miles outside Charlotte on 74. Coming in we saw the line of cars and couldn't believe the back up. I had VIP parking so it took us no time to park. We had to wait for a friend because we had his ticket and he was stuck in the traffic so we waited outside and listened to Tweak Bird and got prepared. Security was cool just a wave of a wand and your in.(They never look at whats in your hands!)

Section 109-Row G-Seat 21
I must say that this show had a different energy than any other show I have been to. I can't really explain it but it seemed more of just a jam session than a concert. I don't know if thats good or bad I had a good time so.....Maybe its my fault for reading reviews and knowing the set list but I do that before every tour so that is normal for me. I will say that I thought the sound was good in my section and all the guys seemed to be into it.
I am glad they got that mother with laser pointer I was so worried he was going to piss Maynard off and ruin the whole show. I'm 99% sure that is whay he had his back to us and didn't say much. What the hell is the fun in that anyway? Everyone im my section was cool smoking was no problem. Security didn't hassel anyone around me.
I thought my ears were going to expload during Lost Keys. Rosetta was great and Lateralus was insane. All the songs were preformed well I didn't hear any big mistakes. Most of the people around me didn't seem very into it. Some were sitting down, screwing with cell phones, going for more beer and I just stood in the same spot and soaked it all up. This should be a time to absorb as much as we can because it isn't going to last forever. I hope for a couple more shows I can go to but I'd say thats it. I hope I'm wrong and they release more material and tour forever but I don't see it happening. Sure I wish the set was a little different but I am happy with what I got and appreciate it.

Last edited by organicdestroyer; 08-05-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

We stayed at the Marriott in Matthews about 10 miles outside Charlotte on 74. Coming in we saw the line of cars and couldn't believe the back up. I had VIP parking so it took us no time to park. We had to wait for a friend because we had his ticket and he was stuck in the traffic so we waited outside and listened to Tweak Bird and got prepared. Security was cool just a wave of a wand and your in.(They never look at whats in your hands!)

Section 109-Row G-Seat 21
I must say that this show had a different energy than any other show I have been to. I can't really explain it but it seemed more of just a jam session than a concert. I don't know if thats good or bad I had a good time so.....Maybe its my fault for reading reviews and knowing the set list but I do that before every tour so that is normal for me. I will say that I thought the sound was good in my section and all the guys seemed to be into it.
I am glad they got that mother with laser pointer I was so worried he was going to piss Maynard off and ruin the whole show. I'm 99% sure that is whay he had his back to us and didn't say much. What the hell is the fun in that anyway? Everyone im my section was cool smoking was no problem. Security didn't hassel anyone around me.
I thought my ears were going to expload during Lost Keys. Rosetta was great and Lateralus was insane. All the songs were preformed well I didn't hear any big mistakes. Most of the people around me didn't seem very into it. Some were sitting down, screwing with cell phones, going for more beer and I just stood in the same spot and soaked it all up. This should be a time to absorb as much as we can because it isn't going to last forever. I hope for a couple more shows I can go to but I'd say thats it. I hope I'm wrong and they release more material and tour forever but I don't see it happening. Sure I wish the set was a little different but I am happy with what I got and appreciate it.

Last edited by organicdestroyer; 08-05-2009 at 12:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
JRHE
08-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Did anybody notice the Tree of Life on the roof? or for that fact any of the symbols from the lights and lasers? I have to admit that Maynard just walking off stage at the end of the show was a little upsetting, but you have to think that he has his vineyards and his side projects to keep up with plus he is a dad. Not the best show I've been to but the look on my friends face for his first Tool concert was priceless
Old 08-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anybody notice the Tree of Life on the roof? or for that fact any of the symbols from the lights and lasers? I have to admit that Maynard just walking off stage at the end of the show was a little upsetting, but you have to think that he has his vineyards and his side projects to keep up with plus he is a dad. Not the best show I've been to but the look on my friends face for his first Tool concert was priceless
OFFLINE |  
Imyourzero
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM

This was my first Tool show. Section 121, Row II, Seat 5. It was very much worth the $60, as seeing the boys perform live was certainly on my "to do" list after REALLY getting into them over the past few months. Since I hadn't previously read anything about the set list or how it is recycled, I didn't know what to expect (and as such, kept hoping to hear The Grudge and The Pot, as well as some of their older material) but I can't say I walked away disappointed.

I did, however, know to expect Maynard to be in the shadows beside of Danny and have done enough reading to know that that's just his thing now, and why he chose to perform that way. I don't have a problem with that at all; and although I enjoy watching tapings of their older shows where Maynard stood out front with that creepy stare, I also enjoy the way he chooses to perform now and respect his decision behind that. The older and newer shows are just different, with each having their unique qualities. The older shows seem more raw, and in some ways passionate, while the newer shows are more refined and are obviously geared to provide more of an overall "experience" which I was definitely glad to be a part of. The sound clips between songs, along with the video and lighting effects make for a package that's not soon forgotten (unless you've seen this same set list performed over and over ad nauseum).

I agree with an earlier poster about there being something very special about being in the upper sections. What we gave up by not being able to clearly see everyone's faces, we made up for by not having to put up with as many drunken idiots pushing us around and not having to worry about getting back to our place if we had to leave to piss or re-beer (I didn't do either). At one point there were a couple of spinning pink lights that absolutely bathed the floor with ovals of spinning pink luminosity...it was just breathtaking as they looked like a pair of alien eyes that were scanning the audience. Amazing. Not to mention the jaw-dropping laser show. It was definitely a sight to behold from up there.

At most other concerts I've been to, I have had no problem drinking a few brews to feed my excitement and get a little loosened up before/during the show. I did not want to drink at this particular show, as alcohol tends to have somewhat dulling effects on the senses and I wanted to experience the show with as much clarity as possible. I was surprised that my friend, who had recently introduced me to the world of portobello mushrooms, decided not to eat ANY before the show...of course he had to drive back to the hotel afterwards and that might have played a role in it but he was just floored by this show (it was his first also). I definitely don't think that you need to indulge in ANY substances to enjoy Tool, although some good bud doesn't exactly detract from the experience, either. But although I knew that people would be smoking at this concert, I refrained from doing so as I had no idea how lax the security would be and I was not about to risk getting booted from my first, and possibly only (who knows?) Tool show.

During the weeks preceeding the show, my buddy and I kept talking about how we were going to go crazy with a big dose of portobellos before the show and just get lost. In the few days prior though, we both realized that would be a bad idea as we wanted to be aware of everything that was going on. We took both of our cars to Charlotte due to the number of people going along, and both drove to the stadium. Yes, traffic was awful (took over an hour to traverse the final 1.5 miles or so) and the ticket lines were very long, which really worried me because we arrived well after 8:00 and of course I didn't want to miss a note of Tool. It kinda pissed me off that one of the ladies at the venue directed us to the other line, saying it was "shorter," when in fact it appeared to be longer, at least by the time we scrambled over there and found a place at the back of that clusterfuck. But it all worked out beautifully as we got inside, waited for our only female member of the group to hit the bathroom, and found our seats with only a short time left until Tool took the stage. We completely missed Tweak Bird, and although some of the comments here lead me to believe they might have been worth seeing, none of us were too upset about it.

I did end up eating a small amount of portobellos beforehand, and another in our group ate a-plenty and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the show (he was absolutely quiet the entire time, lol). I was sweating my balls off and when one member of our group departed and came back with some Sprite I just about hugged him. But I was still on Earth the whole time (thankfully) and, now that I know they recycle the set list I might have been inclined to go with a heartier portion if I had been able to catch them in Fairfax the following night. At the time though, I thought that if I ever get to see them again I won't do anything at all for as pure an experience as possible. We'll see.

Luckily I didn't see a lot of the drunk, belligerent a-holes that some of you saw there that evening. That never makes shows more enjoyable for me. I am a peace-lovin' guy and there I was, standing up there taking it all in (literally, as at several points I would find myself inhaling the aroma of some bomb-ass bud that was being fired up nearby). The only weird thing was some long-haired guy next to us kept turning around and staring at our group (especially the guy that ate the most mushies). I don't understand why, as we were absolutely keeping to ourselves and not yelling or causing any problems. I guess I'm only even mentioning this for the rare possibility that he reads this...if so, dude: WTF was your deal?

I found it interesting that, at most concerts I feel the need to rock out but at this particular show I was almost overwhelmed by the whole experience in that for most of the show all I could do was stand there with my arms crossed, letting the music and visuals take hold. I did manage to get in a headbang or foot stomp during key parts of some songs (it's hard to be still during Stinkfist or "the part" in Lateralus). Lost Keys was all over me...those notes were making my spine tingle in anticipation of what I knew would be coming next.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience despite their being more epic performances in the past. Although this might not have been the "best" venue and other people noted some imperfections, I am grateful to have seen them and it goes without saying that I am looking forward to another album and another tour. After doing much reading about Tool upon my return, I do have some concerns about the band in its current state, most having to do with MJK and his attitude toward the fans and Tool in general but this thread isn't the place to voice those. I will just say that I hope every one of them realizes, and appreciates, what impact they've had on their fans and continues to trudge on with innovative, fresh material that makes us think and carries us to those emotional places that only Tool songs have the unique ability to do. I am most concerned about Maynard after reading some of his comments, but still don't know how seriously to take him sometimes...
Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show. Section 121, Row II, Seat 5. It was very much worth the $60, as seeing the boys perform live was certainly on my "to do" list after REALLY getting into them over the past few months. Since I hadn't previously read anything about the set list or how it is recycled, I didn't know what to expect (and as such, kept hoping to hear The Grudge and The Pot, as well as some of their older material) but I can't say I walked away disappointed.

I did, however, know to expect Maynard to be in the shadows beside of Danny and have done enough reading to know that that's just his thing now, and why he chose to perform that way. I don't have a problem with that at all; and although I enjoy watching tapings of their older shows where Maynard stood out front with that creepy stare, I also enjoy the way he chooses to perform now and respect his decision behind that. The older and newer shows are just different, with each having their unique qualities. The older shows seem more raw, and in some ways passionate, while the newer shows are more refined and are obviously geared to provide more of an overall "experience" which I was definitely glad to be a part of. The sound clips between songs, along with the video and lighting effects make for a package that's not soon forgotten (unless you've seen this same set list performed over and over ad nauseum).

I agree with an earlier poster about there being something very special about being in the upper sections. What we gave up by not being able to clearly see everyone's faces, we made up for by not having to put up with as many drunken idiots pushing us around and not having to worry about getting back to our place if we had to leave to piss or re-beer (I didn't do either). At one point there were a couple of spinning pink lights that absolutely bathed the floor with ovals of spinning pink luminosity...it was just breathtaking as they looked like a pair of alien eyes that were scanning the audience. Amazing. Not to mention the jaw-dropping laser show. It was definitely a sight to behold from up there.

At most other concerts I've been to, I have had no problem drinking a few brews to feed my excitement and get a little loosened up before/during the show. I did not want to drink at this particular show, as alcohol tends to have somewhat dulling effects on the senses and I wanted to experience the show with as much clarity as possible. I was surprised that my friend, who had recently introduced me to the world of portobello mushrooms, decided not to eat ANY before the show...of course he had to drive back to the hotel afterwards and that might have played a role in it but he was just floored by this show (it was his first also). I definitely don't think that you need to indulge in ANY substances to enjoy Tool, although some good bud doesn't exactly detract from the experience, either. But although I knew that people would be smoking at this concert, I refrained from doing so as I had no idea how lax the security would be and I was not about to risk getting booted from my first, and possibly only (who knows?) Tool show.

During the weeks preceeding the show, my buddy and I kept talking about how we were going to go crazy with a big dose of portobellos before the show and just get lost. In the few days prior though, we both realized that would be a bad idea as we wanted to be aware of everything that was going on. We took both of our cars to Charlotte due to the number of people going along, and both drove to the stadium. Yes, traffic was awful (took over an hour to traverse the final 1.5 miles or so) and the ticket lines were very long, which really worried me because we arrived well after 8:00 and of course I didn't want to miss a note of Tool. It kinda pissed me off that one of the ladies at the venue directed us to the other line, saying it was "shorter," when in fact it appeared to be longer, at least by the time we scrambled over there and found a place at the back of that clusterfuck. But it all worked out beautifully as we got inside, waited for our only female member of the group to hit the bathroom, and found our seats with only a short time left until Tool took the stage. We completely missed Tweak Bird, and although some of the comments here lead me to believe they might have been worth seeing, none of us were too upset about it.

I did end up eating a small amount of portobellos beforehand, and another in our group ate a-plenty and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the show (he was absolutely quiet the entire time, lol). I was sweating my balls off and when one member of our group departed and came back with some Sprite I just about hugged him. But I was still on Earth the whole time (thankfully) and, now that I know they recycle the set list I might have been inclined to go with a heartier portion if I had been able to catch them in Fairfax the following night. At the time though, I thought that if I ever get to see them again I won't do anything at all for as pure an experience as possible. We'll see.

Luckily I didn't see a lot of the drunk, belligerent a-holes that some of you saw there that evening. That never makes shows more enjoyable for me. I am a peace-lovin' guy and there I was, standing up there taking it all in (literally, as at several points I would find myself inhaling the aroma of some bomb-ass bud that was being fired up nearby). The only weird thing was some long-haired guy next to us kept turning around and staring at our group (especially the guy that ate the most mushies). I don't understand why, as we were absolutely keeping to ourselves and not yelling or causing any problems. I guess I'm only even mentioning this for the rare possibility that he reads this...if so, dude: WTF was your deal?

I found it interesting that, at most concerts I feel the need to rock out but at this particular show I was almost overwhelmed by the whole experience in that for most of the show all I could do was stand there with my arms crossed, letting the music and visuals take hold. I did manage to get in a headbang or foot stomp during key parts of some songs (it's hard to be still during Stinkfist or "the part" in Lateralus). Lost Keys was all over me...those notes were making my spine tingle in anticipation of what I knew would be coming next.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience despite their being more epic performances in the past. Although this might not have been the "best" venue and other people noted some imperfections, I am grateful to have seen them and it goes without saying that I am looking forward to another album and another tour. After doing much reading about Tool upon my return, I do have some concerns about the band in its current state, most having to do with MJK and his attitude toward the fans and Tool in general but this thread isn't the place to voice those. I will just say that I hope every one of them realizes, and appreciates, what impact they've had on their fans and continues to trudge on with innovative, fresh material that makes us think and carries us to those emotional places that only Tool songs have the unique ability to do. I am most concerned about Maynard after reading some of his comments, but still don't know how seriously to take him sometimes...
OFFLINE |  
Lotus2thrdeye
08-12-2009, 04:30 PM

I don't know if anyone else noticed this. During the show I noticed in the sound booth cage there some studio mics at the corners of the cage. I also notice a video camera. Idk if it was for Tweak Bird or TOOL, but some body was recording the show. Possible live footage? Could also be for Maynard's documentary that is set to be released sometime next year.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

I don't know if anyone else noticed this. During the show I noticed in the sound booth cage there some studio mics at the corners of the cage. I also notice a video camera. Idk if it was for Tweak Bird or TOOL, but some body was recording the show. Possible live footage? Could also be for Maynard's documentary that is set to be released sometime next year.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply