Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Padermeister
05-26-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00gar_ph00gar
cuz they need to do too many takes in the recording studio cuz maynard isn't going to allow a cd to be produced with his voice cracking and sounding like shit the way it does in concert.
Would you allow it?

And no it doesnt sound shit IMO.

And you also need to catch up on articles and interviews and the like to find out what goes on in those 5 years.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: why it takes tool 5 years these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00gar_ph00gar
cuz they need to do too many takes in the recording studio cuz maynard isn't going to allow a cd to be produced with his voice cracking and sounding like shit the way it does in concert.
Would you allow it?

And no it doesnt sound shit IMO.

And you also need to catch up on articles and interviews and the like to find out what goes on in those 5 years.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tomhet
05-26-2006, 10:18 PM

Maybe they would do well to produce more material. I mean it. They are great musicians and they should take advantage of that. About Maynard... well, if he was capable of recording an album as bad as Emotive, I can't trust his aesthetic judgement anymore. I get the feeling that he is a bad influence for the band.

They wrote the album in 5 months or so, but the lapse between the 2 (Lateralus and 10kdays) was of 5 years. Between Undertow and Aenima there is a 3 years lapse and the latter broke many boundaries. That proves to us that they don't need the obligatory 5 years for writing excellent material.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: This is the reason Tool take 5 years between albums

Maybe they would do well to produce more material. I mean it. They are great musicians and they should take advantage of that. About Maynard... well, if he was capable of recording an album as bad as Emotive, I can't trust his aesthetic judgement anymore. I get the feeling that he is a bad influence for the band.

They wrote the album in 5 months or so, but the lapse between the 2 (Lateralus and 10kdays) was of 5 years. Between Undertow and Aenima there is a 3 years lapse and the latter broke many boundaries. That proves to us that they don't need the obligatory 5 years for writing excellent material.
gerbil's Avatar gerbil
05-26-2006, 11:28 PM

Jesus Christ.

You people and your, "eMOTIVe was sooooo bad." Everyone who criticizes this album apparently misses the point by a long shot. Was it the most creative, hard-hitting, and inspiring album ever? Absolutely not. Did it change my life? No, not really. Is it a hastily-recorded collection of covers of influential political songs? Yeah, pretty much. It was an emotional statement.

If you understand where the album was coming from, you understand its place and can write off some of the poor quality (which, honestly, it is). But I think almost all the negativity on this forum stems from the political tone on the album.

Maynard is, as much as anyone, a product of his surroundings. If he's moved personally by the current political situation, then he'll write about it. To be honest, I'd rather he wrote a terrible song that actually expressed how he felt than put out an amazing track about metaphysics and spiritual ideals he's lost faith in. If you don't like how Maynard has done it, listen to something else for awhile. No one makes you listen to Tool. And, on the flip side, Tool doesn't owe you anything.

On a sidenote, I can't blame Maynard for being disillusioned with his fanbase more-or-less shrugging off the politics in America. Looking around this forum, I see people who don't care about the future they have to inhabit. Tool fans pride themselves on "being above the average" and being the cream of the crop. Don't tell me you don't take satisfaction in finding the highfalutin concepts behind Tool songs. We're supposed to think for ourselves, question authority, and all that jazz. It's been repeated so much that on this forum it's become a joke to say it.

Questioning authority and looking for your own answers isn't a joke. I don't blame Maynard for being disappointed when he looks at his fans and sees them roll over and play dead. We're fed information by a media that has a blatently visible conflict of interest (hint: look up who owns the news media, and who they contribute money to). We delude ourselves into thinking that we have two choices and buying the default line of, "The democrats and the republicans are the same, anyway, so it doesn't matter." I watch people in the Breaking News forum accept the line fed to them by the media on issues such as immigration, gun control, Islamic extremism, drugs, and war. There are alternatives beyond what's being suggested by the talking heads.

But, I digress.

Since Billy Howerdel had a fair amount of input on eMOTIVe, it's unfair to blame Maynard for its mediocrity.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #43
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 96

Jesus Christ.

You people and your, "eMOTIVe was sooooo bad." Everyone who criticizes this album apparently misses the point by a long shot. Was it the most creative, hard-hitting, and inspiring album ever? Absolutely not. Did it change my life? No, not really. Is it a hastily-recorded collection of covers of influential political songs? Yeah, pretty much. It was an emotional statement.

If you understand where the album was coming from, you understand its place and can write off some of the poor quality (which, honestly, it is). But I think almost all the negativity on this forum stems from the political tone on the album.

Maynard is, as much as anyone, a product of his surroundings. If he's moved personally by the current political situation, then he'll write about it. To be honest, I'd rather he wrote a terrible song that actually expressed how he felt than put out an amazing track about metaphysics and spiritual ideals he's lost faith in. If you don't like how Maynard has done it, listen to something else for awhile. No one makes you listen to Tool. And, on the flip side, Tool doesn't owe you anything.

On a sidenote, I can't blame Maynard for being disillusioned with his fanbase more-or-less shrugging off the politics in America. Looking around this forum, I see people who don't care about the future they have to inhabit. Tool fans pride themselves on "being above the average" and being the cream of the crop. Don't tell me you don't take satisfaction in finding the highfalutin concepts behind Tool songs. We're supposed to think for ourselves, question authority, and all that jazz. It's been repeated so much that on this forum it's become a joke to say it.

Questioning authority and looking for your own answers isn't a joke. I don't blame Maynard for being disappointed when he looks at his fans and sees them roll over and play dead. We're fed information by a media that has a blatently visible conflict of interest (hint: look up who owns the news media, and who they contribute money to). We delude ourselves into thinking that we have two choices and buying the default line of, "The democrats and the republicans are the same, anyway, so it doesn't matter." I watch people in the Breaking News forum accept the line fed to them by the media on issues such as immigration, gun control, Islamic extremism, drugs, and war. There are alternatives beyond what's being suggested by the talking heads.

But, I digress.

Since Billy Howerdel had a fair amount of input on eMOTIVe, it's unfair to blame Maynard for its mediocrity.
PoisonSkin's Avatar PoisonSkin
05-26-2006, 11:54 PM

lets start a war. we'll protest on election day
Old 05-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

lets start a war. we'll protest on election day
gerbil's Avatar gerbil
05-27-2006, 05:57 AM

It wasn't about George Bush, it was about society.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

It wasn't about George Bush, it was about society.
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
05-27-2006, 06:11 AM

Tool's whimpers of "it takes us 5 years to grow maaaan" are really just Public Relations speak for "we aren't creative enough write any more material". If it actually takes them 5 years to "grow" then they are a collection of 4 very stagnant and sad individuals.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #46
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716

Tool's whimpers of "it takes us 5 years to grow maaaan" are really just Public Relations speak for "we aren't creative enough write any more material". If it actually takes them 5 years to "grow" then they are a collection of 4 very stagnant and sad individuals.
MasterOfKtulu109
05-27-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope

but how many bands today have the ability to continuously make solid albums every 2 years? i can't think of a single one.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #47
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:

but how many bands today have the ability to continuously make solid albums every 2 years? i can't think of a single one.
PoisonSkin's Avatar PoisonSkin
05-27-2006, 09:00 AM

either way its a waste. get on it and quit wasting dannys time.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

either way its a waste. get on it and quit wasting dannys time.
Koan's Avatar Koan
05-27-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
No, 5 months for everything.

5 years off.

5 months of working on the new cd.

5 acceptable songs.
Shut up for once will you? We've heard your complaints. There are more than 5 acceptable songs, there are a whole album full of great songs. Don't like it? Don't listen. Easy as that. But quit annoying us to death with your moaning and complaining.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
No, 5 months for everything.

5 years off.

5 months of working on the new cd.

5 acceptable songs.
Shut up for once will you? We've heard your complaints. There are more than 5 acceptable songs, there are a whole album full of great songs. Don't like it? Don't listen. Easy as that. But quit annoying us to death with your moaning and complaining.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
theDEXorphan's Avatar theDEXorphan
05-27-2006, 09:55 AM

i like this thread. so much hate.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #50
lacks satan

Bincount™: 5222

i like this thread. so much hate.
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
05-27-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
INTENSION and LOST KEYS don't qualify being more instrumental without Danny or MJK, and ROSETTA STONED rambles on for 10 minutes before it gets good.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Strongly disagree with your take on Rosetta Stoned but hey, to each their own.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 05-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #51
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
INTENSION and LOST KEYS don't qualify being more instrumental without Danny or MJK, and ROSETTA STONED rambles on for 10 minutes before it gets good.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Strongly disagree with your take on Rosetta Stoned but hey, to each their own.

tomhet
05-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbil
No, the political tone could be right, because the global situation is just awful, but the album is mediocre. You said that yourself.

Quote:
To be honest, I'd rather he wrote a terrible song that actually expressed how he felt than put out an amazing track about metaphysics and spiritual ideals he's lost faith in.
So you're saying that it's valid to write an awful album just because the "feelings" are true? To know that the "feelings" are true won't make you enjoy the album, will it? Actually I was surprised that some pretentious motherfucker like Maynard took part of something so lame.

Quote:
And, on the flip side, Tool doesn't owe you anything.
No, they don't. I wonder who pays their bills, though? Those millions they have, they came out of the fucking blue, right?

Quote:
On a sidenote, I can't blame Maynard for being disillusioned with his fanbase more-or-less shrugging off the politics in America. Looking around this forum, I see people who don't care about the future they have to inhabit.
You Americans chose some shitty, schizo, dumbass president. That's your problem.

Quote:
What the fuck you mean? He participated, he's not a mindless person, is he? He IS to blame if he allows his name to appear in the CD.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #52

Quote:
No, the political tone could be right, because the global situation is just awful, but the album is mediocre. You said that yourself.

Quote:
To be honest, I'd rather he wrote a terrible song that actually expressed how he felt than put out an amazing track about metaphysics and spiritual ideals he's lost faith in.
So you're saying that it's valid to write an awful album just because the "feelings" are true? To know that the "feelings" are true won't make you enjoy the album, will it? Actually I was surprised that some pretentious motherfucker like Maynard took part of something so lame.

Quote:
And, on the flip side, Tool doesn't owe you anything.
No, they don't. I wonder who pays their bills, though? Those millions they have, they came out of the fucking blue, right?

Quote:
On a sidenote, I can't blame Maynard for being disillusioned with his fanbase more-or-less shrugging off the politics in America. Looking around this forum, I see people who don't care about the future they have to inhabit.
You Americans chose some shitty, schizo, dumbass president. That's your problem.

Quote:
What the fuck you mean? He participated, he's not a mindless person, is he? He IS to blame if he allows his name to appear in the CD.
vinegar_tom's Avatar vinegar_tom
05-27-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You are such a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfKtulu109
I like how M'ope didn't respond. I figure he would have blasted back with some reference to an obscure "band" that smashes air conditioners with hammers. Talk about sad and stagnant individuals. Not enough creativity to even make real music.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #53
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796

Quote:
You are such a moron.

Quote:
I like how M'ope didn't respond. I figure he would have blasted back with some reference to an obscure "band" that smashes air conditioners with hammers. Talk about sad and stagnant individuals. Not enough creativity to even make real music.
tDoXoMl
05-27-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmofo
How does what he sings about affect the musical aspect of the piece? Even if the lyrics were different (sung the same though), it would still be the same song to me.
Speech is composed of different notes, technically i guess it is music.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmofo
How does what he sings about affect the musical aspect of the piece? Even if the lyrics were different (sung the same though), it would still be the same song to me.
Speech is composed of different notes, technically i guess it is music.
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
05-27-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Acid Mothers Temple, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Animal Collective, Boredoms, Boris, Dalek, Faust, Growing, anything John Zorn is involved with, Lightning Bolt, Melvins, Napalm Death, Nasum, OOIOO, ROVO, Ruins, Sonic Youth, Sunn O))), Ween, etc

That's just off the top of my head and I did not include solo artists, who are usually much quicker to release material.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #55
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716

Quote:
Acid Mothers Temple, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Animal Collective, Boredoms, Boris, Dalek, Faust, Growing, anything John Zorn is involved with, Lightning Bolt, Melvins, Napalm Death, Nasum, OOIOO, ROVO, Ruins, Sonic Youth, Sunn O))), Ween, etc

That's just off the top of my head and I did not include solo artists, who are usually much quicker to release material.
gerbil's Avatar gerbil
05-27-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet
Right...

Quote:
Absolutely. Especially since Tool has always sold themselves as being above the bullshit and being in it for the pure art of it all. For them to start writing songs that were insincere would go against the grain.

I can forgive eMOTIVe as it was a group effort between Maynard James Keenan, Billy Howerdel, and Danny Lohner. It was as much a cathartic release as it was a statement on society. I won't get into the redeeming qualities I find in eMOTIVe. But I can let it go as a case of too little time and too many chefs in the kitchen.

Quote:
No, it came from a strongly loyal fanbase. Same as A Perfect Circle. eMOTIVe was certified gold by the RIAA. That's at least 500,000 units sold. A Perfect Circle fans will speak with their wallets. Tool fans can do the same. If you really think 10,000 Days is garbage, stop buying Tool merchandise. I honestly don't think that Tool would stop making music or change their methods, even if their sales figures droop.

Tool has always said that they're making art to make art. I believe them. I don't know why. I think a lot of the people here have faith in that, too.

Quote:
Right. Doesn't mean that the rest of the world isn't going to suffer, for one thing. For another, it doesn't mean that anyone should resign themselves to the world around them. Nor should they turn a blind eye toward those problems.

Quote:
My fault. I should have said that Maynard wasn't the sole participant. Therefore it's unfair to ake him shoulder all the blame.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Right...

Quote:
Absolutely. Especially since Tool has always sold themselves as being above the bullshit and being in it for the pure art of it all. For them to start writing songs that were insincere would go against the grain.

I can forgive eMOTIVe as it was a group effort between Maynard James Keenan, Billy Howerdel, and Danny Lohner. It was as much a cathartic release as it was a statement on society. I won't get into the redeeming qualities I find in eMOTIVe. But I can let it go as a case of too little time and too many chefs in the kitchen.

Quote:
No, it came from a strongly loyal fanbase. Same as A Perfect Circle. eMOTIVe was certified gold by the RIAA. That's at least 500,000 units sold. A Perfect Circle fans will speak with their wallets. Tool fans can do the same. If you really think 10,000 Days is garbage, stop buying Tool merchandise. I honestly don't think that Tool would stop making music or change their methods, even if their sales figures droop.

Tool has always said that they're making art to make art. I believe them. I don't know why. I think a lot of the people here have faith in that, too.

Quote:
Right. Doesn't mean that the rest of the world isn't going to suffer, for one thing. For another, it doesn't mean that anyone should resign themselves to the world around them. Nor should they turn a blind eye toward those problems.

Quote:
My fault. I should have said that Maynard wasn't the sole participant. Therefore it's unfair to ake him shoulder all the blame.
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
05-27-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraology
I think alot of people on here get sick of your regurgitated posts. Its the same shit every fuckin time. Why do you even bother getting on this forum if you never have anything positive to say about the album?
Because he's a pathetic little cocksucker who craves attention and doesn't care whether it's positive or negative, just as long as somebody notices him.

It's quite pitiful.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraology
I think alot of people on here get sick of your regurgitated posts. Its the same shit every fuckin time. Why do you even bother getting on this forum if you never have anything positive to say about the album?
Because he's a pathetic little cocksucker who craves attention and doesn't care whether it's positive or negative, just as long as somebody notices him.

It's quite pitiful.
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
05-27-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Questioning authority and looking for your own answers isn't a joke. I don't blame Maynard for being disappointed when he looks at his fans and sees them roll over and play dead. We're fed information by a media that has a blatently visible conflict of interest (hint: look up who owns the news media, and who they contribute money to). .
Well said. It's high (pardon the pun) time Americans (I say this because everybody outside the U.S already knows it) started to look at your Government and realise just what a greedy, evil, ruthless fucking machine it is. Bush will go down in history as a war criminal and the worst President ever.

Everything the U.S Govt does is in the best interests of a few rich fuckers who pull the strings. They get richer, Bush and his family get richer, Rumsfeld gets richer, etc. Meanwhile Americans die in foreign countries trying to bring democracy to a country that can NEVER be democratic.

Wake the fuck up. America is becoming a joke. You have no integrity, you are not going to be a superpower for much longer (take a look at China). Blame your Govt. And then do something about it.

On subject, the album is awesome.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #58
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:

Questioning authority and looking for your own answers isn't a joke. I don't blame Maynard for being disappointed when he looks at his fans and sees them roll over and play dead. We're fed information by a media that has a blatently visible conflict of interest (hint: look up who owns the news media, and who they contribute money to). .
Well said. It's high (pardon the pun) time Americans (I say this because everybody outside the U.S already knows it) started to look at your Government and realise just what a greedy, evil, ruthless fucking machine it is. Bush will go down in history as a war criminal and the worst President ever.

Everything the U.S Govt does is in the best interests of a few rich fuckers who pull the strings. They get richer, Bush and his family get richer, Rumsfeld gets richer, etc. Meanwhile Americans die in foreign countries trying to bring democracy to a country that can NEVER be democratic.

Wake the fuck up. America is becoming a joke. You have no integrity, you are not going to be a superpower for much longer (take a look at China). Blame your Govt. And then do something about it.

On subject, the album is awesome.
tomhet
05-28-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Sadly, that's very true. You just have to look at all the dead people in Iraq. All for nothing. It's fucking depressing.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #59

Quote:
Sadly, that's very true. You just have to look at all the dead people in Iraq. All for nothing. It's fucking depressing.
Fulcanelli's Avatar Fulcanelli
05-28-2006, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov_22
I agree. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at MJK's newfound tolerance of other viewpoints. Prejudice is unbecoming of intellect.
Funny how people take the exact opposite view when it comes to the Bible :) :) :) If Jesus were a rock star then he would have had a bigger impact for sure... haha.

I'm not talking about this post specifically, just the whole "people grow thing" and the "hypocracy" thing. Really hilarious. I, for one, completely agree that people grow and their viewpoints sometimes can change. It's an important part of mentally maturing, IMO.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov_22
I agree. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at MJK's newfound tolerance of other viewpoints. Prejudice is unbecoming of intellect.
Funny how people take the exact opposite view when it comes to the Bible :) :) :) If Jesus were a rock star then he would have had a bigger impact for sure... haha.

I'm not talking about this post specifically, just the whole "people grow thing" and the "hypocracy" thing. Really hilarious. I, for one, completely agree that people grow and their viewpoints sometimes can change. It's an important part of mentally maturing, IMO.
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
05-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
fuck off and die in a series of demon rapes. ahhahahahaha
Old 05-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #61
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
lol, I don't know but that seems painful.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #62
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
lol, I don't know but that seems painful.
Towelie's Avatar Towelie
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkelman
While I agree that prejudice is indeed unbecoming of intellect, we what we may be observing (and labeling as prejudice) could be a symptom of underlying disease: the anger stage of what has come to be known as Kubler-Ross grieving (see either http://www.cancersurvivors.org/Copin...erm/stages.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_of_dying for a brief overview of the grieving associated with tragedy).

Wings for Marie Pts. 1 & 2 give (me) the impression that MJK has progressed into acceptance of her seemingly tortured existence, which we now construe as tolerance. It's possible (if not probable) that the transition from anger to acceptance was facilitated by her death. While 10,000 days may seem like an overly extended period of grieving, there is no set timetable for progressing through the five stages: despite years of (ongoing) therapy and countless "medicated peaceful moments", I am still a very angry individual.

"I don't want to feel this overwhelming hostility". But I do, and it's clear that he did as well. It's my sincere hope that he no longer does.

-todd
Wow. Thank you for that post. It means a lot to me.

1. Denial and isolation: "This is not happening to me."
2. Anger: "How dare you do this to me?!" (either referring to a god, the late person, or themselves)
3. Bargaining: "Just let me live to see my son graduate."
4. Depression: "I can't bear to face going through this, putting my family through this."
5. Acceptance: "I'm ready, I don't want to struggle anymore."

My father passed away about four years ago. We didn't have the best of relationships. I continually pointed out what would help him and he continually ignored me. He was a stubborn bastard. When he died, I became numb. The numbness lasted for years.

Recently, I started dealing with it piece-meal. I would allow brief periods of reflection, sorrow and depression. When I listened to 10,000 days, I could not hold back my sorrow any longer. It came on full force. Seriously, it's been a catalyst for me getting to acceptance. I can't say I'm there yet but, I've come a long way in the past month.

Grieving for a parent whom you had a tumultuous relationship with is one of the hardest things I've encountered in my life. But, I'm beginning to see the light.

I love you Dad and I'm sorry.

Thanks for your thoughts Todd. It's my sincere hope that all get to acceptance and learn to live again. We are all in this together.

Last edited by Towelie; 05-28-2006 at 04:19 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #63
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkelman
While I agree that prejudice is indeed unbecoming of intellect, we what we may be observing (and labeling as prejudice) could be a symptom of underlying disease: the anger stage of what has come to be known as Kubler-Ross grieving (see either http://www.cancersurvivors.org/Copin...erm/stages.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_of_dying for a brief overview of the grieving associated with tragedy).

Wings for Marie Pts. 1 & 2 give (me) the impression that MJK has progressed into acceptance of her seemingly tortured existence, which we now construe as tolerance. It's possible (if not probable) that the transition from anger to acceptance was facilitated by her death. While 10,000 days may seem like an overly extended period of grieving, there is no set timetable for progressing through the five stages: despite years of (ongoing) therapy and countless "medicated peaceful moments", I am still a very angry individual.

"I don't want to feel this overwhelming hostility". But I do, and it's clear that he did as well. It's my sincere hope that he no longer does.

-todd
Wow. Thank you for that post. It means a lot to me.

1. Denial and isolation: "This is not happening to me."
2. Anger: "How dare you do this to me?!" (either referring to a god, the late person, or themselves)
3. Bargaining: "Just let me live to see my son graduate."
4. Depression: "I can't bear to face going through this, putting my family through this."
5. Acceptance: "I'm ready, I don't want to struggle anymore."

My father passed away about four years ago. We didn't have the best of relationships. I continually pointed out what would help him and he continually ignored me. He was a stubborn bastard. When he died, I became numb. The numbness lasted for years.

Recently, I started dealing with it piece-meal. I would allow brief periods of reflection, sorrow and depression. When I listened to 10,000 days, I could not hold back my sorrow any longer. It came on full force. Seriously, it's been a catalyst for me getting to acceptance. I can't say I'm there yet but, I've come a long way in the past month.

Grieving for a parent whom you had a tumultuous relationship with is one of the hardest things I've encountered in my life. But, I'm beginning to see the light.

I love you Dad and I'm sorry.

Thanks for your thoughts Todd. It's my sincere hope that all get to acceptance and learn to live again. We are all in this together.

Last edited by Towelie; 05-28-2006 at 04:19 PM..
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-30-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
You Americans chose some shitty, schizo, dumbass president.
Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

:)

Quote:
Or just lazy fatcats.

Quote:
You also think that your avatar is the real way the band wanted their name spelled. "TooL." .
You are as confused about that as you are about TooL and their music.

It is not the way band wanted it.

It is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbynoe
something about MJK and what he
can do .
Its called "singing"
Old 05-30-2006, 06:18 AM   #64
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
You Americans chose some shitty, schizo, dumbass president.

Quote:
Or just lazy fatcats.

Quote:
You also think that your avatar is the real way the band wanted their name spelled. "TooL." .
You are as confused about that as you are about TooL and their music.

It is not the way band wanted it.

It is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbynoe
something about MJK and what he
can do .
Its called "singing"
tomhet
05-30-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Are you saying that I'm intimidated? Not at all. It's not even hatred what made me say that. I mean, if I had a president who could have prevented a massive terrorist attack but didn't, I'd call him a shitty president. Anyway if you can't realize how ignorant he is, you probably are an ignorant yourself :)
Old 05-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #65

Quote:

Are you saying that I'm intimidated? Not at all. It's not even hatred what made me say that. I mean, if I had a president who could have prevented a massive terrorist attack but didn't, I'd call him a shitty president. Anyway if you can't realize how ignorant he is, you probably are an ignorant yourself :)
ifrigginghatethis
05-30-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
All the band members, when asked why the ling breaks between records, always answer that people need time to grow and learn from life experiences, otherwise it gets stagnant. Without this time Maynard had to reflect we would not have this masterpiece, we would be getting the sam regurigtated message regarding religon they've always had. Peole who think Maynard is a hypocrite or whatever just don't get it. People live and grow and don't stay the same forever. Tool's artistry allows them the freedom to convey that message of evolution, change, and progress, and that's what this song helps represent in a nutshell. I hope you guys at least can all recognize the beauty in that, even if you don't like the song.
dude, did you attend grammar school?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #66

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
All the band members, when asked why the ling breaks between records, always answer that people need time to grow and learn from life experiences, otherwise it gets stagnant. Without this time Maynard had to reflect we would not have this masterpiece, we would be getting the sam regurigtated message regarding religon they've always had. Peole who think Maynard is a hypocrite or whatever just don't get it. People live and grow and don't stay the same forever. Tool's artistry allows them the freedom to convey that message of evolution, change, and progress, and that's what this song helps represent in a nutshell. I hope you guys at least can all recognize the beauty in that, even if you don't like the song.
dude, did you attend grammar school?
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that I'm intimidated?
An intimidated coward. You hate America the way Americans hate the NY Yankees. Because we are the best :)
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #67
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
Are you saying that I'm intimidated?
An intimidated coward. You hate America the way Americans hate the NY Yankees. Because we are the best :)
barometric_tool's Avatar barometric_tool
05-30-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Until India and China come out with their little compact cars for like $3000
Old 05-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #68
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 55

Quote:
Until India and China come out with their little compact cars for like $3000
05-30-2006, 07:09 PM

This is neither here nor there but until there's enough fresh water to go around, China and India will never see true greatness. It's the main thing that holds back their civilization. You think the Three Gorges dam was actually for hydro-electric power? It was so China could have massive control over the fresh water there without the envirnmentalists throwing a fit.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #69
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

This is neither here nor there but until there's enough fresh water to go around, China and India will never see true greatness. It's the main thing that holds back their civilization. You think the Three Gorges dam was actually for hydro-electric power? It was so China could have massive control over the fresh water there without the envirnmentalists throwing a fit.

tomhet
05-31-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Man, you are hilarious, I imagine you voted for that idiot Bush... and not only that, you did it TWICE. Thanks to your president this world is definitely a shittier world to live in. Thank you, keep up the good work. Yes, I know, your army is the world's finest, killing civilians and all that. Man, you just couldn't get enough off Vietnam, could you? How could you, if you are the guardians of democracy? And Saddam had nuclear devices, didn't he? Tons of 'em.

Anyway, just for the record, I'm not anti-American, you moron, I've known a lot of cool people in the past few years.

Jesus, how I wish I could block your idiotic posts from appearing in my browser every time I come to this forum, you just talk the same shit over and over. Well, I just realize that it just got worse, you are a stupid person with a political opinion :)

Oh, riiiight, you're the kid who likes Staind and Chevelle, aren't you? OK, I forgive you, don't worry. I'll try to be more understanding next time.

Last edited by tomhet; 05-31-2006 at 11:48 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #70

Quote:
Man, you are hilarious, I imagine you voted for that idiot Bush... and not only that, you did it TWICE. Thanks to your president this world is definitely a shittier world to live in. Thank you, keep up the good work. Yes, I know, your army is the world's finest, killing civilians and all that. Man, you just couldn't get enough off Vietnam, could you? How could you, if you are the guardians of democracy? And Saddam had nuclear devices, didn't he? Tons of 'em.

Anyway, just for the record, I'm not anti-American, you moron, I've known a lot of cool people in the past few years.

Jesus, how I wish I could block your idiotic posts from appearing in my browser every time I come to this forum, you just talk the same shit over and over. Well, I just realize that it just got worse, you are a stupid person with a political opinion :)

Oh, riiiight, you're the kid who likes Staind and Chevelle, aren't you? OK, I forgive you, don't worry. I'll try to be more understanding next time.

Last edited by tomhet; 05-31-2006 at 11:48 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply