opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #561
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157
Re: Tool Headlining the Big Day Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by theescapedslave View Post
Any chance that it was Jon Cambell doing the interview....any new on arena dates scheduled as Im gonna be back in NZ all of February??
Don't know if it is John Campbell - but I don't think so (it would ge good with him though). I think the interview will screen on Nightline. And also it didn't look like John Campbell went anywhere in the last few days. Either way the interview is with Maynard and Danny if memory serves me. No mention of arena dates. My guess is that they will just do BDO in Auckland for now and then come around for Auck/Welly/CHCH later in the year - but maybe I am way off and you might just come back in time for another gig.

I can't tape the interview, but I will post any pertinent info that I remember on here.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #562
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Is there a possibility that they will change their setlist before they come back to Europe in November?

In October they have about a month break in their tour schedule, will it be used to practice some other songs or is it all just vacation?

I have seen them twice this summer, the only change being that once they played "The Pot" and the other time "Right in two".

I mean they were great concerts, but if they are going to play the same songs once again, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, if they however are going to play an entirely different setlist I will kick myself in the head for not buying tickets, so does somebody have an inside scoop about this topic?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #563
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post
Don't know if it is John Campbell - but I don't think so (it would ge good with him though). I think the interview will screen on Nightline. And also it didn't look like John Campbell went anywhere in the last few days. Either way the interview is with Maynard and Danny if memory serves me. No mention of arena dates. My guess is that they will just do BDO in Auckland for now and then come around for Auck/Welly/CHCH later in the year - but maybe I am way off and you might just come back in time for another gig.

I can't tape the interview, but I will post any pertinent info that I remember on here.
Cheers. Already catching them in London - but always good to get another one in.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #564
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 7425

tbh the BDO is a big festival, an i wanna do it one day :)
Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #565
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

New setlist/visual show will probably start from the first mainland US show...hold your breath:)

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #566
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129
Kiwi's

Anyone in NZ should watch TV3's Nightline on wednesday for an interview with DC & AJ in Hawaii. Nightline last night said Tool have been confirmed for the BDO and that they would have the interview with them wednesday (23/08/06)
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #567
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261
Re: Kiwi's

the band seems to show alot of love for their nz and aussie fans...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #568
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Luther View Post
the band seems to show alot of love for their nz and aussie fans...
Per capita we here in NZ buy the most Tool Albums of any one. I just hope they play more shows than the Big Day Out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #569
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Per capita we here in NZ buy the most Tool Albums of any one. .

that put a funny mental image in my head of going to a NZ hotel, opening the drawer and finding the liner notes to aenema insted of the bible.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #570
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
that put a funny mental image in my head of going to a NZ hotel, opening the drawer and finding the liner notes to aenema insted of the bible.
now thats how you form a society....and i guess if you were to treat the liner notes as gospel you'd have to crank out the ketamine on sundays
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #571
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingred View Post
tbh the BDO is a big festival, an i wanna do it one day :)
Yeah, well if Tool aren't coming to Wellington around the same time then I will be heading up to Auckland for my first Big Day Out experience. The only BDO I am really gutted about missing is the one with Soundgarden about 6 years ago.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #572
Banned.

Quote:
Per capita we here in NZ buy the most Tool Albums of any one. I just hope they play more shows than the Big Day Out.
Ditto.

Have to mission up to horrible old Auckland otherwise...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #573
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
A Tool hotel. Thats a fckn great idea. We could serve Tetanus For Breakfast with Iced Pee. Two Weiners for Daddy as lunch, and Crapsteaks Smothered in Dictators followed by 3 Fat Brown Fingers for dinner. The evening show would star Mungey the Clown and his Spring Boner singing songs from The Christmas Album
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #574
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

i'd better start saving my coin - those ticket prices are gonna hurt. Tool playing to 40,000 people is sure to kick ass.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #575
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotica View Post
Tool playing to 40,000 people is sure to kick ass.
Absolutely. Still means traveling to shitty auckland and probably only getting a 1 hr set. At least, they should put on a show of their own. The BDO just wouldnt do them justice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #576
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

Prediction: Tool will return to New Zealand and Australia in late 2007 for their own full tour, similar to their 2001/2002 visits down under.

Playing only the Big Day Out in Auckland for this new album's tour does not make sense given the popularity of the band in NZ and Tool's prior tours to your lovely country...

I'm tipping that they'll come back and do 2 or 3 shows in NZ (Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch) as well as shows in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth later in 2007 (maybe throw Canberra or Newcastle in there too).

They are too big to only play a handful of Big Day Out shows down here and nothing much else.

Call it wishful thinking but if their Lateralus touring plans are anything to go by then the future looks bright for Tool fans in NZ and Australia.

By the way, well done on winning both the Tri Nations and Bledisloe - the 2007 Rugby World Cup can't come quickly enough...
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #577
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw View Post
By the way, well done on winning both the Tri Nations and Bledisloe - the 2007 Rugby World Cup can't come quickly enough...
Thanks, but I am probably the only person in NZ who cant stand rugby.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #578
Banned.

Quote:
Prediction: Tool will return to New Zealand and Australia in late 2007 for their own full tour, similar to their 2001/2002 visits down under.

Playing only the Big Day Out in Auckland for this new album's tour does not make sense given the popularity of the band in NZ and Tool's prior tours to your lovely country...

I'm tipping that they'll come back and do 2 or 3 shows in NZ (Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch) as well as shows in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth later in 2007 (maybe throw Canberra or Newcastle in there too).

They are too big to only play a handful of Big Day Out shows down here and nothing much else.

Call it wishful thinking but if their Lateralus touring plans are anything to go by then the future looks bright for Tool fans in NZ and Australia.

Yeah - when they did the Lateralus tours the first time was just Auckland and CHCH then Auck/CHCH/Wellies for the second time around. So, I second your prediction (but hope they come to Wellington twice - not just BDO and then Wellington later... oh wishful thinking...)
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #579
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1669

fucking lame news imo.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #580
Banned.

Quote:
Thanks, but I am probably the only person in NZ who cant stand rugby.
Oh, I know plenty of musicians in this country who are like that. I used to be too, but then I just gave up after I realised it was just a pretentious stance based on jealousy. I still don't watch many games, but I enjoy a cool looking play every now and then.

I enjoy it when we win (mainly so I can show off to Aussies on forums like this) - but I get really pissed off with your average rugby-head asshole who just wants to go into town on a Saturday night, get boozed, piss on the street (10 metres from a public toilet) and pick fights with people.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #581
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17
Light Rig

Do you think Tool is going to use their seven-point star light rig from the lateralus tour on this upcoming area tour? I thought it looked amazing. I think they should do it again.

If you go to one of the full shows, comfirm wether or not they use it, please.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #582
Banned.

Sucks to be in CHCH
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #583
Level 11 - Clamorous

yeah, i'm not going unless some other awesome bands are going.

but seriously, it's like tool are purposely trying to piss me off.

why would they do the BDO? they are one of the most popular bands in New Zealand, they could sell out 3 shows here in the biggest venues easy with no opening band.

if they did that, they would get more money, they would play longer, they would get all their visuals etc.

in fact, i wouldn''t be surprised if they quit out, APC were going ot BDO but pulled out because they didn't like the other bands, i bet tool get all bitchy and overpowered and decide to do their own tour.
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #584
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
Re: Light Rig

I'll be at the SLC show so I'll let you know then.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #585
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I'm a kiwi living in Hawaii, so it feels strange somehow that they're recording an interview here that they're gonna show in NZ.

The concert on Saturday night was fucking extraordinary! I absolutely must see them again.

I don't care for rugby either.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #586
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
yeah, i'm not going unless some other awesome bands are going.

but seriously, it's like tool are purposely trying to piss me off.

why would they do the BDO? they are one of the most popular bands in New Zealand, they could sell out 3 shows here in the biggest venues easy with no opening band.

if they did that, they would get more money, they would play longer, they would get all their visuals etc.

in fact, i wouldn''t be surprised if they quit out, APC were going ot BDO but pulled out because they didn't like the other bands, i bet tool get all bitchy and overpowered and decide to do their own tour.
Yeah, but they have been doing lots of festivals overseas too. I think they have relaxed a bit on that kind of thing. But I agree that I don't think they should. Tool are huge here, they don't need BDO and all of the idiots who are going to crowd the moshpit because "Tools that real fucking metal band right?!?!?!!" - the idiots that wouldn't bother with a proper Tool show are going to be right dicks, I can imagine.

However, I have a theory that the "Arena" setlist is going to be very different from the shorter ones that have been played so far. Not just that it will be longer and include Wings/10,000 Days, but also the mood will be more centred around this great epic. For that reason, I think Tool have deliberately made the warm-up shows a much louder, in your face, quickie, experience so that the next time around you might be ready for the quiet that the new shows will be based on.

And so, I think that they reasoned they should do the same for NZ. BDO to do the warm-up festival length setlist. Then later for the complete experience - from the great highs of Lateralus to the great lows of Wings and back up to the huge release of Right in Two.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:03 PM   #587
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Fraser View Post
Well that was a let down, confirmation for Big Day Out headline. Interview on Wednesday nights show.
FUCK.

TOOL.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #588
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Yeah, well if Tool aren't coming to Wellington around the same time then I will be heading up to Auckland for my first Big Day Out experience. The only BDO I am really gutted about missing is the one with Soundgarden about 6 years ago.
the best thing about their set was looking up about halfway thru it and seeing a plane flying overhead with an illuminated message scrolling across the underside of the wings saying "TOOL ARE COMING"
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #589

Fuck bdo, they need to do more normal shows, for no other reason than to increase my chances of getting a ticket.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #590
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Yeah, but they have been doing lots of festivals overseas too. I think they have relaxed a bit on that kind of thing. But I agree that I don't think they should. Tool are huge here, they don't need BDO and all of the idiots who are going to crowd the moshpit because "Tools that real fucking metal band right?!?!?!!" - the idiots that wouldn't bother with a proper Tool show are going to be right dicks, I can imagine.

However, I have a theory that the "Arena" setlist is going to be very different from the shorter ones that have been played so far. Not just that it will be longer and include Wings/10,000 Days, but also the mood will be more centred around this great epic. For that reason, I think Tool have deliberately made the warm-up shows a much louder, in your face, quickie, experience so that the next time around you might be ready for the quiet that the new shows will be based on.

And so, I think that they reasoned they should do the same for NZ. BDO to do the warm-up festival length setlist. Then later for the complete experience - from the great highs of Lateralus to the great lows of Wings and back up to the huge release of Right in Two.

I hope you're right.... I heard a rumour that Peeping Tom will be coming to BDO as well. God, that would be an amazing day.

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #591
Level 11 - Clamorous

if peeping tom go too i might have to go. cos i'm sure other good people will go.
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #592
Level 11 - Clamorous

i bet they will pull out, it's tool you guys.
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #593

Quote:
I hope you're roght.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #594
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubb. View Post
I hope you're roght.
nah, they will just do a full tour in jan/feb, no BDO.
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #595
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:
of course there it would be even funnier because the aenima liner notes would have those hilarious parody album covers.

spring boner... lol
Old 08-22-2006, 01:23 AM   #596
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_anchovy View Post
I hope you're right.... I heard a rumour that Peeping Tom will be coming to BDO as well. God, that would be an amazing day.
Really, hmmm.... sounds good

I will be able to get a ride up with my friend because I told him Muse will be there. He loves Muse (and Tool).
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-22-2006, 02:01 AM   #597
suitably pretentious

Bincount™: 1455

big day out!

finally, a reason to go!

Wellington peoples, you should go see jakob friday night 10pm san fran bathouse (indigo) if you like post rock and shit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #598
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla ice tea View Post
Wellington peoples, you should go see jakob friday night 10pm san fran bathouse (indigo) if you like post rock and shit.
Yeah bro, I'm there. My mate Joe is playing the drums in Spider Plain who are also on that night. Whats with the new name though? San Fransisco Bath House? Fucking stupid IMO.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-22-2006, 03:38 AM   #599
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

I only caught the end of Nightline tonight, so maybe i missed any mention of BDO being confirmed, but im curious where you got the info?

They also showed a few seconds of the interview tonight and it's with Adam, not the others. Have to watch tomorrow, as they're not allowed to re-broadcast the interview on their site.

As for the comment on them being "one of the most popular bands in New Zealand, and being able to sell out 3 shows here in the biggest venues easy with no opening band." I dunno, maybe these days they could. They've sure picked up in popularity over the past few years, but in the past I've had no problem getting tickets to both of the Auckland gigs i attended. And well, North Shore Events Centre is a pokey lil place and didn't seem to be that packed the second time i was there for them. That just made it all the better, really.

I agree though, i wouldn't really like to see them at BDO and would rather see them at their own gig. At least there'd be no issues with taking photos if they were at the BDO though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #600
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Good luck sneaking in drugs though.

Fucking sniffer dogs.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply