opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #4721
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
There wasn't an April 20th post haha
I think it was a toolarmy "exclusive", or whatever. Still, hope it's not the Guitar Hero announcement. That would be extremely lame.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #4722
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I think it was a toolarmy "exclusive", or whatever. Still, hope it's not the Guitar Hero announcement. That would be extremely lame.
Maybe It's just wishful thinking but I really doubt it's going to be the Guitar Hero announcement since it's been announced online for months. I hope it isn't my wishful thinking. :[
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #4723
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Wow, the toolshed news page was actually updated. Kabir is still alive.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #4724
Level 4 - Thinker

My thoughts Blair's post... the band will resume work on a new album and tour after taking a well deserved break... thus the "tranquil Caribbean sunset and thatched shade palapa awaiting those relaxing souls" bit, and his reiteration of "just relax". In other words, we'll get news soon about it, but don't rush to conclusions.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #4725
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

F bein paitent, but i know our patience will be rewarded. On another note, saw RAGE today at the Convention in Denver. They were fucking awesome... and it was free!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #4726
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubbs View Post
F bein paitent, but i know our patience will be rewarded. On another note, saw RAGE today at the Convention in Denver. They were fucking awesome... and it was free!
Yeah, F being patient. I'm still checking every Tool site for news and updates everyday. I'm such a tool.
Kdubbs, I'm so jealous. I was way too busy with work to go to that show. Are you going to NIN? I'm debating whether to get tickets or not.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #4727
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

OH MY GOD RAGE was fucking AMAZING! kdubb did you march to the pepsi center after the show? shit was nuts.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #4728
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

No, me and my buddy decided we had enough 'political' banter etc. for one day to march. I was there for Rage.

Oceanminded - I would love to get NIN tix, my financial situation may prevent me from it however... but I'm still debating...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #4729
Level 3 - Talker

NIN tix are well worth the price. The light show they have going is beyond amazing. Even if you're not a NIN-Nut, the theatrics of the show are well worth the ticket price.. stunning show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #4730
Level 7 - Loquacious

i skipped NIN and got metallica tickets for january
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #4731
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
bad choice.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #4732
njm
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

JUNIOR!!!

What were you working on that was mentioned in the "notes from the crew" of toolarmy!?

Give us anything!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #4733
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
Boo, Metallica... Hooray, Nine Inch Nails light show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #4734
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
JUNIOR!!!

What were you working on that was mentioned in the "notes from the crew" of toolarmy!?

Give us anything!
Duran Duran.
There'll be more of that in November and December right after I finish my next touring extravaganza, which is scheduled for September and October.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #4735
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Boo, Metallica... Hooray, Nine Inch Nails light show!
That seems to be a great choice, but only if Metallica has agreed to play all pre-Black album material, which is often quite powerful and moving.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #4736
Level 7 - Loquacious

Rage should be interesting tomorrow...anyone going? Wear a gasmask if you do...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #4737
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #4738
njm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Duran Duran.
There'll be more of that in November and December right after I finish my next touring extravaganza, which is scheduled for September and October.
Thanks for the reply.
Thats a shame though. Why did the post have to be so cryptic!? Oh well..

So your back for Duran Duran i nov/dec?
Whats on in Sept/Oct? Sounds like fun!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #4739
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevasquez View Post
Damn. I'm disapointed. Cool idea, but I guess Zach did need to be jail free tonight for the later show, otherwise I'm guessing he would have said F#$K OFF...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #4740
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Thats a shame though. Why did the post have to be so cryptic!? Oh well..

So your back for Duran Duran i nov/dec?
Whats on in Sept/Oct? Sounds like fun!
Duran Duran has dates in South America throughout November, including the first week, which means I'll have to vote absentee. I've never done that. I hope they count it. I'll have to make sure I do it correctly.
DD are supposed to do some North American shows in December, then.

The summer European tour was, at times, less than stellar. I think Eric's description is part of his decompression process on his way to re-adjusting to life in Vermont. I know that after the spring US tour he went through an extensive detox session to get DD songs out of his head that involved some unconventional rituals and what some might consider "obsessive" lawn-care practices.

The September/October thing is a run of theatres with "America's Best Dance Crew: Live", which should be quite the something or another.
I don't think any of the performers have ever toured before, so that should be interesting.
At least some of the road crew are friends that I haven't toured with in awhile.
It's another situation like Duran Duran where I'm not the designer, just the operator.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #4741
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Glad to hear the DD tour is going well and best of luck with the Dance thingy.

Last edited by jwb; 09-05-2008 at 04:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #4742
njm

Quote:
The summer European tour was, at times, less than stellar. I think Eric's description is part of his decompression process on his way to re-adjusting to life in Vermont. I know that after the spring US tour he went through an extensive detox session to get DD songs out of his head that involved some unconventional rituals and what some might consider "obsessive" lawn-care practices.
Yeah, I imagine that would be one of the negatives of your kind of work, sometimes you have to listen to drivel night in night out.... But at least at times you got Tool night in night out!! Worth i'd say.

Do you go to Australia with tool when they come this way? I saw them at the Sydney ent. cent last year and it was very cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #4743
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Yeah, I imagine that would be one of the negatives of your kind of work, sometimes you have to listen to drivel night in night out.... But at least at times you got Tool night in night out!! Worth i'd say.

Do you go to Australia with tool when they come this way? I saw them at the Sydney ent. cent last year and it was very cool.
There's really nothing wrong with Duran's music, but some of their songs can get stuck in your head and refuse to leave. I suppose that's a side effect of well written pop songs: they're catchy.

I've been to Australia 4 times with Tool since 1997, and a few times with some other bands. It's one of my facvorite places to go, but I haven't been there since the 2007 BDO tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #4744

Bincount™: 4

Courtesy of BMB:

TOOL & GUITAR HERO

A few minutes ago I found out from the band's management that we're now cleared to announce TOOL's participation with GUITAR HERO. Here's part of the press release:

"Hugely popular alternative metal band Tool, known for their epic, intense musical arrangements and killer visual arts, will also soon be known for their contribution to the upcoming Guitar Hero® World Tour. Guitar Hero fans from all over the world will be able to rock out to "Parabola" and Grammy-award winning "Schism" from Tool's critically-acclaimed 2001 album Lateralus in addition to "Vicarious" from their 2006 Grammy-award winning album 10,000 Days. The game will also feature an all-new venue designed in collaboration with the band and highlighting the art style that has become a staple in their music videos, live shows and album artwork."
Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #4745

Quote:
......I've been to Australia 4 times with Tool since 1997, and a few times with some other bands. It's one of my favorite places to go, but I haven't been there since the 2007 BDO tour.
So what does one do (in the summer) in Australia, when visiting?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #4746
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
So what does one do (in the summer) in Australia, when visiting?
I seem to recall sweating being fairly high on the list.
Rather warm there in summer.
Visiting wineries and the Sydney aquarium are fun, as are beach-based activities.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #4747

Quote:
I seem to recall sweating being fairly high on the list.
Rather warm there in summer.
Visiting wineries and the Sydney aquarium are fun, as are beach-based activities.
Friend of mine just gave me an Aussie 2002 Barossa Valley Emigre.
It's excellent. Try and go to Barossa Valley next time you're over there.

Last edited by banned; 09-06-2008 at 08:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2008, 01:34 AM   #4748
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
Friend of mine just gave me an Aussie 2002 Barossa Valley Emigre.
It's excellent. Try and go to Barossa Valley next time you're over there.
It's near Adelaide, which is the home to one of my favorites: Penfolds. Their Magill Estate winery is a sort of "mecca" to a few people I know.
Some really good stuff comes from Barossa Valley.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #4749
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

A few minutes ago I found out from the band's management that we're now cleared to announce TOOL's participation with GUITAR HERO. Here's part of the press release:

"Hugely popular alternative metal band Tool, known for their epic, intense musical arrangements and killer visual arts, will also soon be known for their contribution to the upcoming Guitar Hero® World Tour. Guitar Hero fans from all over the world will be able to rock out to "Parabola" and Grammy-award winning "Schism" from Tool's critically-acclaimed 2001 album Lateralus in addition to "Vicarious" from their 2006 Grammy-award winning album 10,000 Days. The game will also feature an all-new venue designed in collaboration with the band and highlighting the art style that has become a staple in their music videos, live shows and album artwork."

--------------

With only a quick little blurb from Blair, I'm still hoping the "be patient" announcement is related to something bigger than the GH release.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #4750
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post

With only a quick little blurb from Blair, I'm still hoping the "be patient" announcement is related to something bigger than the GH release.
I hope so too. If I am being patient so I can play Tool in guitar hero, I'll be extremely disappointed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #4751
njm

Quote:
It's near Adelaide, which is the home to one of my favorites: Penfolds. Their Magill Estate winery is a sort of "mecca" to a few people I know.
Some really good stuff comes from Barossa Valley.
Oh yeah. Been there myself actually. Didn't get to crush the grapes of the next vintage of Penfolds Grange though.. Maybe I should release albums that sell millions of copies!

Did you guys have fun at the Big Day out? Its a pretty fun festival to be at, but Gold coast is better than Sydney for sure. What do you think of aussie music in general? Get to see any cool aussie bands?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #4752
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Oh yeah. Been there myself actually. Didn't get to crush the grapes of the next vintage of Penfolds Grange though.. Maybe I should release albums that sell millions of copies!

Did you guys have fun at the Big Day out? Its a pretty fun festival to be at, but Gold coast is better than Sydney for sure. What do you think of aussie music in general? Get to see any cool aussie bands?
Although the BDO schedule is pretty relaxed, I didn't get a lot of time to check out other bands.
Because of the amount of production we were trying to pull off, we would load in the night before the show and spend the dark hours getting the lights, video and lasers right. Because we were there so late we wouldn't arrive to the show grounds until about 5pm on show day, usually right during John Butler Trio's set. He has a number of fans on the Tool crew, and his music was actually a pretty good way to start the day. Some days we would go and see Peaches play at the Boiler Room stage.

Another down side was that there was a strain of the flu bouncing around among our camp. It hit me shortly after Gold Coast and didn't leave until the afternoon of the Tool side-show in Melbourne. I was feeling worse in Melbourne than I had the whole time, so I found an unused dressing room under the stage and took a 2-3 hour nap that afternoon. It's rare that I have that kind of time on a show day (the side show was more of a "normal" show day, meaning that we loaded in and set up all on the day of show), but I was lucky to have it since I was so dizzy I couldn't think straight. I woke up drenched in sweat, but completely clear-headed and no longer sick. It was like a switch got turned off and the past 2 weeks of sickness had just vanished. Gone, just like that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #4753
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Hey everyone. Long time no see. Been lurking. Hey, just got this from my wife in case in So Cal peeps want to meet Maynard

Tuesday, September 16th

Maynard James Keenan Bottle Signing
4:30-7:30 p.m.

Join Arizona Winemaker Eric Glomski and his business partner Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer and co-founder of international recording acts TOOL, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer, as they sign bottles from their local wineries, Caduceus Cellars, Merkin Vineyards and Arizona Stronghold. For this event you must be 21 years of age. No photography allowed. cameras and large bags are not allowed. Only wine bottles purchased during the event will be signed. 2 bottle maximum. No personal property will be signed. Loitering will not be permitted. No RSVP required.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #4754
njm

Quote:
Although the BDO schedule is pretty relaxed, I didn't get a lot of time to check out other bands.
Because of the amount of production we were trying to pull off, we would load in the night before the show and spend the dark hours getting the lights, video and lasers right. Because we were there so late we wouldn't arrive to the show grounds until about 5pm on show day, usually right during John Butler Trio's set. He has a number of fans on the Tool crew, and his music was actually a pretty good way to start the day. Some days we would go and see Peaches play at the Boiler Room stage.

Another down side was that there was a strain of the flu bouncing around among our camp. It hit me shortly after Gold Coast and didn't leave until the afternoon of the Tool side-show in Melbourne. I was feeling worse in Melbourne than I had the whole time, so I found an unused dressing room under the stage and took a 2-3 hour nap that afternoon. It's rare that I have that kind of time on a show day (the side show was more of a "normal" show day, meaning that we loaded in and set up all on the day of show), but I was lucky to have it since I was so dizzy I couldn't think straight. I woke up drenched in sweat, but completely clear-headed and no longer sick. It was like a switch got turned off and the past 2 weeks of sickness had just vanished. Gone, just like that.
JBT is good, and very good way to start the day indeed!. Surprisingly he says he used to play a lot of Tool before he got in to "roots" music, or whatever its called.

Hopefully you all make it back down here soon. Though I suppose it will not be before another album is released... which could be a while!

When you all travel so constantly, I suppose getting sick would just be the worst. No time to just crawl into bed and rest. I never thought of that. Maybe I should put off my career as an international musician!!

By the way, you still managed to pull off a good show in Sydney, even if you were sick!! There is a bootleg of that gig, which is rumored to be a soundboard recording (the first 4 songs are anyway). Do you know if something like that would be possible??
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #4755
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
There is a bootleg of that gig, which is rumored to be a soundboard recording (the first 4 songs are anyway). Do you know if something like that would be possible??
Nothing is impossible, but it's extremely unlikely.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #4756
njm

Quote:
Nothing is impossible, but it's extremely unlikely.
Have you ever heard of this happening? Of the band releasing it themselves?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #4757
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Have you ever heard of this happening? Of the band releasing it themselves?
no
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #4758
Level 4 - Thinker

Anyone catch the NIN show in L.A. this past weekend? I was fascinated the whole time by the projection curtain technology used on the stage, especially when transparent holes would open up and track the musicians through the video content. I can see some potential in using this tech for Tool's next tour....whenever that may be.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #4759
Level 7 - Loquacious

saw NIN at the forum as well. only "problem" was i was sitting so close to the stage i missed out on a few of the screen effects. we were next to the stage on JMJ (bass player) side

incredible concert, regardless.
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #4760

Bincount™: 4

I just read on brain-damage that Richard Wright from Pink Floyd died yesterday from a short battle with cancer. That sucks major ass man. I never got to see him perform with his magical keyboard fingers live and im real bummed about that. He will be missed.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: