opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #4521
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFF0RD6 View Post
just had a nice conversation with adam at the subway station after the lakers game. he confirmed the appearance at jello's birthday party next month, he'll be playing the whole show. total nice guy, even if he did claim the last vegas shows they were counting down the minutes to the end of tour ;) i was a little giddy from the game and sorta rambly but even managed to ask him about whether he's still sculpting anymore (he is) and wished him the best for the "time off". cool night
That's cool. Never met him, but did meet Danny and Justin on separate occasions last tour and they were both really nice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #4522
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG-MAN View Post
Newest Tool Rumor:

Danny Carey in the near future is looking to paint something. My buddy who works at a Sherman Williams (I believe) in LA just rang up Danny Carey who used his black AMEX card to buy some paint. When asked what color paint was purchased no reply was given.
He should have bought some BEHR paint from Home Depot over Memorial Day weekend. $5 off coupon for gallons, $20 for the big buckets. Could have saved him a bundle!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #4523
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Junior, will you be attending the Volto show on the 6th?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #4524
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Junior, will you be attending the Volto show on the 6th?
Kinda planning on it. JZ asked me to come down and man the cameras (they have a remote controlled multi-camera system in that joint) about a month ago. It's going to depend on how burned out I am when I get home from this Duran Duran leg in 2 days. I have to leave again on the 8th to go to Europe.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #4525
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFF0RD6 View Post
just had a nice conversation with adam at the subway station after the lakers game. he confirmed the appearance at jello's birthday party next month, he'll be playing the whole show. total nice guy, even if he did claim the last vegas shows they were counting down the minutes to the end of tour ;) i was a little giddy from the game and sorta rambly but even managed to ask him about whether he's still sculpting anymore (he is) and wished him the best for the "time off". cool night
Hell, if I was in Vegas, I'd be counting down the minutes too! I think there's 3 days of Jello-mania here in San Francisco, he drop that'd he be playing all of them? The Melvins are playing too! Layne Stayley back from the dead!

I've been on an AIC binge lately lol
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2008, 07:11 AM   #4526
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

from his response i'm guessing he'll be at both shows june 16 and 17
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #4527

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Kinda planning on it. JZ asked me to come down and man the cameras (they have a remote controlled multi-camera system in that joint) about a month ago. It's going to depend on how burned out I am when I get home from this Duran Duran leg in 2 days. I have to leave again on the 8th to go to Europe.
Well, when you figure out if you will be going let me know on this here. I will be in LA for 2 months visiting my dad, so if anyone else will be going to the show let me know and maybe we can meet up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM   #4528
Level 7 - Loquacious

In other unrelated news... My wife and I saw Ashes Divide the other night in Lancaster. Great show, but the second support act (innerpartysystem) had better lighting then AD. Met Billy after the show and got him to sign some stuff and a photo with him. Very nice guy and seemed very humble and UNrockstarish.

pics: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2479052

Last edited by sinfall; 05-31-2008 at 06:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #4529
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Well, when you figure out if you will be going let me know on this here. I will be in LA for 2 months visiting my dad, so if anyone else will be going to the show let me know and maybe we can meet up.
I'm about 90% sure I'll be going.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
In other unrelated news... My wife and I saw Ashes Divide the other night in Lancaster. Great show, but the second support act (innerpartysystem) had better lighting then AD. Met Billy after the show and got him to sign some stuff and a photo with him. Very nice guy and seemed very humble and UNrockstarish.
Agreed 100%. I also met him this past weekend. He rented a car at my office in NJ, and was super cool. I didnt bust his chops too bad.

And in other completley unrelated/sorta related news, apparently Scott Weiland took the stage an hour and 45 minutes late , COMPLETLEY wasted at the PNC Arts Center here in Jersey and proceeded to suck the joint up. Which must have been extremely painful considering Howerdel told me Ashes Divide was hitting at 7:00 on the button. Anyone attend this shitfest?

Someone really needs to put that dude out of his misery.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #4531
Level 3 - Talker

Random Question:

Has Tool ever played CBGB? Specifically, have they ever played a show there with Rollins Band, Corrosion of Conformity and The Melvins?

Thanks!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #4532
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle276 View Post
Random Question:

Has Tool ever played CBGB? Specifically, have they ever played a show there with Rollins Band, Corrosion of Conformity and The Melvins?

Thanks!
April 24 and 25, 1992.
Tool opened for the Rollins Band. Not sure about COC or the Melvins being there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #4533

MFFORD, are you going to Volto on Friday?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #4534
Level 7 - Loquacious

not now, did you read the news on toolband, danny's hand is in a cast
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #4535
Level 7 - Loquacious

You know whats awesome? Flying over LA from San Francisco to San Diego and blasting Aenima.

Hasn't Danny done a Volto show since those Hawaii pics were floating around? Or is that just me losing my mind slightly more so? That fucking SUCKS, the new pic looks nasty. Another reason I quit surfing: Bullshit Sea Urchents.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #4536
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well, Danny's injury just trashed my hopes that the band was secretly recording an album. Bummer dude.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #4537

Yes, I just checked those out yesterday. That sucks I was really looking forward to see Danny play in a small venue.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #4538
Level 7 - Loquacious

my buddy who is working on the set of crank 2 said maynard was there the other day (tuesday). no idea if he's in the movie or was just stopping in to say hello, he's not on the imdb cast list as of yet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #4539

there's a short interview with Maynard over at livedaily dot com.
Here's to a successful 2nd surgery. Get well soon Danny!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #4540
Level 7 - Loquacious

Just was watching a video of Aenima live from the last tour. I really hope they go back to playing that one because the raw power and light show is the most intense thing I've ever seen in music besides Testify live. Hell, the cameras recording it don't even register the last 30 seconds of the song correctly lol (again, Kudos to Mr. Junior) I didn't even know the song the first time I saw Tool and the other two shows they didn't play it :(

I can only guess time restraints or just a different message they want to put out now. Most of the song is sung in quiet headvoice, so I doubt it was Mayny Mayny. Fucking hell I'm bored.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #4541
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Kind of funny video of a really drunk guy harassing people outside a Hollywood club and Maynard walks by.
There's two videos, MJK is in the second one.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/16/ultima...uts-on-celebs/
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #4542
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Kind of funny video of a really drunk guy harassing people outside a Hollywood club and Maynard walks by.
There's two videos, MJK is in the second one.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/16/ultima...uts-on-celebs/

You know for a guy that supposedly hates Hollywood with every fiber of his being, Maynard looks a little too much at home in that clip...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #4543
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphorescent Button View Post
You know for a guy that supposedly hates Hollywood with every fiber of his being, Maynard looks a little too much at home in that clip...
I totally agree with you. Despite his professed desire for anonymity and disdain for the Hollywood system, I think that Maynard really wants to be a big, mainstream type star.

In addition to filling the void during the legal wrangling between Aenima and Lateralus, APC was a way for MJK to increase his exposure in the LA "scene" and increase his popularity among women and "the cool kids". Notice that while Tool has (to my knowlege) never played on TV, APC has been on Letterman, Leno and others.

We all know that he wants to break into the movies, having just missed out on playing Dwight Yoakam's part in Panic Room.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258000/trivia

Most recently, he has latched on to the latest trend of "lounge, cabaret type music" with his Puscifer project.

His paper thin commitment to Tool is troubling and while I will concede that he is an excellent lyricist and can sing very well when he actually puts his mind to it, his hypocrisy is becoming quite transparent.

One could argue: "he is a professional and has a right to pursue any projects that interest him". This is true, but then he shouldn't have built up his image and frankly, his brand, by pretending to hate the very system that he has so eagerly embraced. You just can't have it both ways. And I will state that obvious that without Tool and their fans, no one would even care in the first place.

Last edited by Turtle276; 06-11-2008 at 09:17 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #4544
Level 7 - Loquacious

He's just trying to make more money for his vineyards. Thats his real passion.

Quote:
I totally agree with you. Despite his professed desire for anonymity and disdain for the Hollywood system, I think that Maynard really wants to be a big, mainstream type star.

In addition to filling the void during the legal wrangling between Aenima and Lateralus, APC was a way for MJK to increase his exposure in the LA "scene" and increase his popularity among women and "the cool kids". Notice that while Tool has (to my knowlege) never played on TV, APC has been on Letterman, Leno and others.

We all know that he wants to break into the movies, having just missed out on playing Dwight Yoakam's part in Panic Room.

Most recently, he has latched on to the latest trend of "lounge, cabaret type music" with his Puscifer project.

His paper thin commitment to Tool is troubling and while I will concede that he is an excellent lyricist and can sing very well when he actually puts his mind to it, his hypocrisy is becoming quite transparent.

One could argue: "he is a professional and has a right to pursue any projects that interest him". This is true, but then he shouldn't have built up his image and frankly, his brand, by pretending to hate the very system that he has so eagerly embraced. You just can't have it both ways. And I will state that obvious that without Tool and their fans, no one would even care in the first place.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #4545
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Wow, that statement is way off. The opportunity to become a mainstream type star has always been there for MJK. Tool is a multi-platinum band, and MJK contunues to stay out of the public spotlight. You can only see his silhouette on the stage when he performs live, he never does interviews with mainstream magazines or tv programs, he never runs his mouth at concerts, and we haven't seen his face in a Tool music video since Hush.

I think the LA scene is good for Maynard. It keeps him pissed off and writing good music.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #4546
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanminded050 View Post
Wow, that statement is way off. The opportunity to become a mainstream type star has always been there for MJK. Tool is a multi-platinum band, and MJK contunues to stay out of the public spotlight. You can only see his silhouette on the stage when he performs live, he never does interviews with mainstream magazines or tv programs, he never runs his mouth at concerts, and we haven't seen his face in a Tool music video since Hush.

I think the LA scene is good for Maynard. It keeps him pissed off and writing good music.
Dude you need to go re-read Turtle's post. He was on Letterman and Leno. He just did an all Tool issue of Revolver magazine. There are plenty of clips on YouTube of him saying all sorts of crap. Did you just fall off a truck yesterday?

Turtle, excellent post my friend. For reasons you mentioned above, I have not nor will I ever support Maynard's new project. If he is not with Adam, Justin and Danny I'm not a paying customer.

Last edited by liecheatnsteal; 06-11-2008 at 02:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #4547
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by liecheatnsteal View Post
Dude you need to go re-read Turtle's post. He was on Letterman and Leno. He just did an all Tool issue of Revolver magazine. There are plenty of clips on YouTube of him saying all sorts of crap. Did you just fall off a truck yesterday?

Turtle, excellent post my friend. For reasons you mentioned above, I have not nor will I ever support Maynard's new project. If he is not with Adam, Justin and Danny I'm not a paying customer.
I don't consider Revolver a mainstream magazine, I had to go to 10 different newstands to find the damn thing. And he was on Leno and Letterman for APC, not Tool. APC was/is a completely different creature. And no, I did not fall off a truck yesterday. I follow the band as closely as anyone else in this forum.
I'm simply refuting the earlier statement that Maynard wants to be a pop rock icon. The music has always been more important than his ego. I'm just not ready to jump on the Maynard bashing band wagon.

I hope the next stuff he writes is with Tool. I'm dyin for the next album.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #4548
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Man, you're just plain overlooking the fact that the man has grown up. He isn't this young to mid 20 year old kid with just something to complain about. He's happy now, he's grown up. He has a kid to support. He always said he knew he wanted to be an artist of some sort, and hasn't he done that already? Hasn't he achieved so many of his goals already? Why not let the man enjoy his spoils that he's recieved. If you can't beat them, join them and hell, you only live life once. Really, I just think he's grown up some and I respect still what he's doing. He certainly isn't the same person from 10-15 years ago, so don't expect him to be. I'm positive you aren't either.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #4549
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by $avage View Post
Man, you're just plain overlooking the fact that the man has grown up. He isn't this young to mid 20 year old kid with just something to complain about. He's happy now, he's grown up. He has a kid to support. He always said he knew he wanted to be an artist of some sort, and hasn't he done that already? Hasn't he achieved so many of his goals already? Why not let the man enjoy his spoils that he's recieved. If you can't beat them, join them and hell, you only live life once. Really, I just think he's grown up some and I respect still what he's doing. He certainly isn't the same person from 10-15 years ago, so don't expect him to be. I'm positive you aren't either.
Nice post Savage. Couldn't agree more.
He's much older now, and he doesn't have as many reasons to be pissed off anymore. And what's wrong with enjoying a little fame, does that make him a hypocrite? Atleast he's not like Zach De La Roche, bitching about capitalism while driving a Ferrari.

Clearly, Maynard has artistic directions he would like to explore outside of Tool. A lot of his ideas do not fit in with Tool, and he realizes this. If Tool fans don't like it, he doesn't give a shit. He's reaching for a different audience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #4550
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Nice post Savage. Couldn't agree more.
He's much older now, and he doesn't have as many reasons to be pissed off anymore. And what's wrong with enjoying a little fame, does that make him a hypocrite? Atleast he's not like Zach De La Roche, bitching about capitalism while driving a Ferrari.

Clearly, Maynard has artistic directions he would like to explore outside of Tool. A lot of his ideas do not fit in with Tool, and he realizes this. If Tool fans don't like it, he doesn't give a shit. He's reaching for a different audience.
Precisely! He isn't attempting to please the fans, and to be honest it never has been about the fans with Tool. Tool always has had the attitude of making music from the heart, and then if people dig it and connect to it then it makes it just that much rewarding to them. I think Maynard's a pretty cool cat with a lot going for him right now, so why not explore some avenues while he can, even if it's just for shits and giggles. Not all products from creativity will be a life's work or a masterpiece.

*edit*

Also, you can only hide in the shadows for so long. It's a lot tougher to hide in the shadows than just live life the way it's presented to you.

Last edited by $avage; 06-13-2008 at 06:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 AM   #4551

Quote:

Hey. There's a song about this type of critisism that he wrote about 13 years ago. It's called "Hooker with a Penis". You should check it out.

Last edited by LateraL9eight7; 06-16-2008 at 06:38 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #4552
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateraL9eight7 View Post
Hey. There's a song about this type of critisism that he wrote about 13 years ago. It's called "Hooker with a Penis". You should check it out.
True statement.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #4553
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateraL9eight7 View Post
"All you know about me is what I sold ya."

Maybe we shouldn't pretend that we really know who Maynard is and what he wants. We don't have a clue. It's the music that matters. I just hope they start recording some new stuff soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #4554

The band has always made a mockery of people who take them too seriously. Look at their official website for 3 fucking seconds to figure this out.

The argument got rediculous when someone cited Maynard trying to get that part in Panic Room. Who the F wouldnt want a role in a major Hollywood motion picture? I mean, I'm sure your day job is real indie-rock and all.

Ooooo the mysterious Maynard James Keenan is more accessible than he was in 1996. Big friggin' deal.

Last edited by LateraL9eight7; 06-18-2008 at 12:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #4555
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard has changed quite a bit since '96. Just look at his onstage persona. He used to wear all kinds of crazy outfits, wigs, lots of body paint, etc. Now he is sporting jeans, a cowboy hat, and a mohawk. Not the same Maynard we used to know. He's getting a little too old for all that. It would probably be pretty hard to explain to your 10-12 year old son why you dressed up like a drag queen for 3 months while you were on tour.
One thing's for sure, he still puts on an awesome show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #4556
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Not the same Maynard we used to know. He's getting a little too old for all that. It would probably be pretty hard to explain to your 10-12 year old son why you dressed up like a drag queen for 3 months while you were on tour.
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I'm sure a 12 or 13 year old understands that what Daddy does on stage with costumes and such is acting.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #4557
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I'm sure a 12 or 13 year old understands that what Daddy does on stage with costumes and such is acting.
Stop being such a dick.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #4558
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Stop being such a dick.
lol!
I think I deserved that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #4559
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
lol!
I think I deserved that.
Actually, you're a level 7 poster. I'm only level 4. I was way out of line. You deserve more respect than that.

Has anyone seen the Melvins in concert? I'm considering buying some tickets for their show in Denver. Are they any good live or are they too old now?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #4560

Quote:
Actually, you're a level 7 poster. I'm only level 4. I was way out of line. You deserve more respect than that.

Has anyone seen the Melvins in concert? I'm considering buying some tickets for their show in Denver. Are they any good live or are they too old now?
I would definitely go. I've seen them twice and had a blast both times (most recently last October). I might actually like Big Business more these days (I know...blasphemous), and you'll get a double shot of those guys since they open for, and are also in, the Melvins.

Considering how crazy expensive tickets are nowadays this is about as good as you're going to do for $15-20.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: