opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #4601
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan#1 View Post
I recently have heard semi-official news about Tool songs being featured in the popular video game Guitar Hero 4. For me I kind of felt disappointed in this news because I thought I remembered hearing in an interview with one of the members that they were totally against putting their music in Guitar Hero because it doesn't encourage kids to learn an actual instrument. Plus in one of Blair's postings he actually made fun of a fan for asking this question. Now I realize Blair's opinion may differ from the actual memebers but does anybody see this as kind of selling out just to get some extra money. (Please no Hooker With A Penis References. I am looking for honest thougts).
This could possibly be true, and personally I'd have no issue with it, but I think "exciting super secret" stuff is probably more than just this. I don't think the band would think this is a very big deal (being put on GH 4). They might condone it for more money, to help pay the bills for what is essentially something that requires no furutre effort on their part, but this I don't think would be "super secret" big kind of news for them. I just don't see it...

I mean if they are on GH4 or whatever, there is something more to this as well. Besides, any decent hack can put Tool songs into GH2 or 3 already anyways...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #4602
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew77 View Post
I actually hope the do a Tool only Guitar Hero or Rock Band game. the idea of selling out is totally absurd to me. Bands that make careers out of making music have the goal of making it big.
A Tool only guitar hero? That would be retarded, plus i don't think it'd market very well (well, besides to us) But i honestly can't see any Tool songs making it to any Guitar Hero/Rock Band game, seems to be to much across the grain for them. Not to lie, I'd love playing Vicarious on GH... but i prefer the real thing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #4603
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I recently have heard semi-official news about Tool songs being featured in the popular video game Guitar Hero 4. For me I kind of felt disappointed in this news because I thought I remembered hearing in an interview with one of the members that they were totally against putting their music in Guitar Hero because it doesn't encourage kids to learn an actual instrument. Plus in one of Blair's postings he actually made fun of a fan for asking this question. Now I realize Blair's opinion may differ from the actual memebers but does anybody see this as kind of selling out just to get some extra money. (Please no Hooker With A Penis References. I am looking for honest thougts).
There should be nothing bothersome about Tool songs in Guitar Hero. Yes, beating off on a plastic toy is pale in comparison to playing a real guitar. However, Guitar Hero reaches out to an entirely different audience, kids. There are so many songs in Guitar Hero that the younger generation has not been exposed to. So, maybe some kid jamming out on Guitar Hero will say "Hey, Tool rocks. I want to hear some more songs by them," and maybe little Billy will go out and buy a Tool album.

By the way, have you heard of a song called Hooker With a Penis?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #4604
Level 4 - Thinker

Well I guess I am the only person who feels that way. Oh well to every man his own.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #4605
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Well I guess I am the only person who feels that way. Oh well to every man his own.
I totally see where you're coming from. I probably won't buy the next Guitar Hero if there are Tool songs on there. I don't want to associate the songs with a video game. I want to associatie them with personal experiences and feelings. I just think that having the songs in Guitar Hero is a great way for Tool to be exposed to the younger crowd. The Tool fanbase is aging. Everytime I see them live, the age group there is getting older and older. Like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, I hope that Tool is appreciated for many years to come. Pink Floyd is way before my time, yet I am completely blown away by what they've done.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #4606
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubbs View Post
A Tool only guitar hero? That would be retarded, plus i don't think it'd market very well (well, besides to us) But i honestly can't see any Tool songs making it to any Guitar Hero/Rock Band game, seems to be to much across the grain for them. Not to lie, I'd love playing Vicarious on GH... but i prefer the real thing.
I think it would very marketable to have bands like Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Alice in Chains, etc. to have there own game so that way kids aren't stuck playing shitty songs they do not like.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #4607
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

If I'm not mistaken, it was Tool and mainly Evil Joe Baressi during the recording stages of 10,000 Days back in late 2005 that was raving about a little game called Guitar Hero. I remember correctly, there was a number of postings to the official site telling how there was always intense Guitar Hero going on in the studio lounge. In fact, that was the first I'd ever heard of the game.

Not that it means anything, but it would make one think that they would have already contributed something to the game if they ever were to going to at all, no?

The band isnt nearly big enough to have an ALL TOOL edition of the game, and the band is far too control-freakish to ever contribute a single-work to anything at all. Basically, I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by LateraL9eight7; 07-03-2008 at 10:53 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #4608
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by blp View Post
Thoughts on this Junior????

You know, we are all "hungry like the wolf" (for Tool anything)

gogogogogogo
I don't really know anything about it. I'm a bit out of touch over here in Europe. I spoke to Kevin Willis on the phone the other day. That's about the only contact I've had.
The posting seems to describe a standard LA visit by Al Jones. I think he goes out there about once a month.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #4609
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanminded050 View Post
I totally see where you're coming from. I probably won't buy the next Guitar Hero if there are Tool songs on there. I don't want to associate the songs with a video game. I want to associatie them with personal experiences and feelings. I just think that having the songs in Guitar Hero is a great way for Tool to be exposed to the younger crowd. The Tool fanbase is aging. Everytime I see them live, the age group there is getting older and older. Like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, I hope that Tool is appreciated for many years to come. Pink Floyd is way before my time, yet I am completely blown away by what they've done.
Yeah I agree that it will probably increase their fanbase but I am not sure if I really want to deal with a bunch of 12 year old kids moshing to wings for marie on Tool's next tour. Even though I am only 16 I much rather prefer the older crowd because the increased maturity makes a huge difference when you are trying to enjoy a Tool concert (which I have seen 5 of). I think it is disgraceful to see 12 people waiting in the center of the arena for the climax of 10,000 days so they can punch each other in the face.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #4610
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Hey Junior, I just saw Stone Temple Pilots at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado last night. Great show, wish you were working the lights though. It was a little too heavy on the strobe lighting if you ask me. Luckily Scott Weiland was sober enough to perform.
Were you approached to do the lighting for Stone Temple Pilots?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #4611
Level 4 - Thinker

Although I have no clue what will come from Tool, I do know one thing. They have one hell of a marketing department! They can go on break and keep all of us foaming at the mouth for more. However, I am not expecting anything that big.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #4612
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Yeah I agree that it will probably increase their fanbase but I am not sure if I really want to deal with a bunch of 12 year old kids moshing to wings for marie on Tool's next tour. Even though I am only 16 I much rather prefer the older crowd because the increased maturity makes a huge difference when you are trying to enjoy a Tool concert (which I have seen 5 of). I think it is disgraceful to see 12 people waiting in the center of the arena for the climax of 10,000 days so they can punch each other in the face.
That's great to hear that people your age are still listening to music from the grunge era.
As Tool fans, I think we're extremely lucky that nobody in the band hasn't overdosed or killed themselves by now (such is the fate of grunge bands).

In my experiences at Tool shows (I've seen 7), the mosh scene is very minimal. Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit fans don't exactly mesh with the Tool crowd. Personally, I don't know how many more chances I'll have to see Tool live. I'm sure as hell not going to waste that opportunity getting drunk and starting a mosh pit.

And wow, I don't know how or why someone would mosh during wings. I think it's unfortunate that those people are unable to fully appreciate the concert experience. It's like playing Gameboy while walking around an art museum.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #4613
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Hey Junior, I just saw Stone Temple Pilots at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado last night. Great show, wish you were working the lights though. It was a little too heavy on the strobe lighting if you ask me. Luckily Scott Weiland was sober enough to perform.
Were you approached to do the lighting for Stone Temple Pilots?
I was at one point contacted about it, but not sure how serious of an offer it was. I also wasn't sure how stable of a tour it would be, so I didn't actively pursue it. I had a pretty good offer from Duran Duran that was a sure thing, and with some people that I already know.
I'm not sure who ended up doing lights for STP. I saw the name, but it's not someone I know.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #4614
Level 4 - Thinker

Hey Oceanminded I love your Gameboy in an art museum reference. As far as the overdose thing goes I am not sure and in no way intend to speak for the members of Tool but, I don't think any of them are into the types of drugs that you "overdose" on such as Cobain was with Herion. From interviews that I have read I remember Danny saying at one point they were all doing Hallucinogens during the AEinema era. I think Maynard has pretty much stopped after he had a kid, but the rest may or may not still be doing them.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #4615
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
That's great to hear that people your age are still listening to music from the grunge era.
As Tool fans, I think we're extremely lucky that nobody in the band hasn't overdosed or killed themselves by now (such is the fate of grunge bands).

In my experiences at Tool shows (I've seen 7), the mosh scene is very minimal. Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit fans don't exactly mesh with the Tool crowd. Personally, I don't know how many more chances I'll have to see Tool live. I'm sure as hell not going to waste that opportunity getting drunk and starting a mosh pit.

And wow, I don't know how or why someone would mosh during wings. I think it's unfortunate that those people are unable to fully appreciate the concert experience. It's like playing Gameboy while walking around an art museum.
Which is exactly why 10,000 Days and Prison Sex won't be played live again ;)
As of now, I'm batting .500 on those songs, in baseball, I'd rape all!
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #4616
Level 4 - Thinker

preaching to the wrong choir. I believe you
Old 07-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #4617
On Probation

Quote:

This totally reminded me of this dude in this death metal band I know of who thought that playing a gig was selling out. Lol.

You know I kinda feel that unless you've spent the last 15 years working for free as a volunteer for a charity its kinda lame to say someones selling out because their making money from the work they do.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #4618
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Which is exactly why 10,000 Days and Prison Sex won't be played live again ;)
As of now, I'm batting .500 on those songs, in baseball, I'd rape all!
itll be a shame if they never play "wings and 10000 days"live again,those werent on setlist in van,but i was lucky enough to catch them in victoria on mini tour.after hearin about the gong shows in other venues,i was slightly concerned,but the crowd kicked back and took it all in.im still convinced half of the crowd had come over from vancouver.
i mean, we are like catapillars, contemplating pupation. no longer will i chew on the cabbage leaves, no longer will i spend my time moving on the underside of the foliage! life must be a preparation for the transition to another dimension...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #4619
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E2V0 View Post
itll be a shame if they never play "wings and 10000 days"live again,those werent on setlist in van,but i was lucky enough to catch them in victoria on mini tour.after hearin about the gong shows in other venues,i was slightly concerned,but the crowd kicked back and took it all in.im still convinced half of the crowd had come over from vancouver.
If you have read the Tool edition of Revolver Maynard states that he regrets writing Wings, 10,000 days and Prison Sex because he put himself out there too much. He also says that a Tool concert is not the best place to perform those songs because there are so many people who don't get it and there are a certain percentage who do. So I don't know, I hope they play wings and 10,000 day's again those songs are amazing live and are so hard to pull off
Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #4620
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

!0,000 days won't be played live again. ever. I saw it twice, the first being most memorable in CO Springs. I'll never forget it...

On another note, I found myself at Red Rocks last night for Blues Traveler and Collective Soul. The show was... eh... outdone by the view of the collective firework shows of the greater Denver metro area. Anyway, i was talking to one of my buddies who works at the venue and he claimed he had some inside info. First, that Rage Against the Machine has an unannounced date sometime late this summer for Red Rocks. Second, that there was a rumor circulating that Tool also had a date planned for Red Rocks late this summer. I basically told him there is NO WAY Tool would play a show this summer - has to be just a rumor... right? The thought of RATM seemed more plausible - either way it's a nice thought. Just thought i'd share....
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #4621
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
!0,000 days won't be played live again. ever. I saw it twice, the first being most memorable in CO Springs. I'll never forget it...

On another note, I found myself at Red Rocks last night for Blues Traveler and Collective Soul. The show was... eh... outdone by the view of the collective firework shows of the greater Denver metro area. Anyway, i was talking to one of my buddies who works at the venue and he claimed he had some inside info. First, that Rage Against the Machine has an unannounced date sometime late this summer for Red Rocks. Second, that there was a rumor circulating that Tool also had a date planned for Red Rocks late this summer. I basically told him there is NO WAY Tool would play a show this summer - has to be just a rumor... right? The thought of RATM seemed more plausible - either way it's a nice thought. Just thought i'd share....
If RATM is playing Red Rocks I'm just gonna go out and shoot a bitch (out of joy...)...yes...joy...

actually, I dunno if downtown San Francisco under the veil of a shitload of cops and 40,000 fans screaming in the streets and blocking traffic (we really should have rioted...) afterwards can be outdone. I'll take Tool at Red Rocks! lol

Last edited by musicmansf; 07-05-2008 at 11:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #4622
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I certainly hope the Guitar Hero rumour is not true. There are some many more original ways to earn some money with your art.

I hope Adam is not wasting time on these stupid things too, and instead working on his music with Fripp, Buzz/Bozzio... and tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #4623
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Hey KDubbs. I live in Boulder too! I was just at Red Rocks this past Wednesday for Stone Temple Pilots. That concert was awesome.
I saw Collective Soul at the Boulder Theatre on May 18. That concert was kinda 'meh' as well. The band sounded pretty good but the singer is such a douche.
You're right, I don't see how the Tool playing at Red Rocks rumor could possibly be true. I hope the RATM rumor is true though. Always wanted to see them live, never got the chance.

Last edited by oceanminded050; 07-06-2008 at 03:49 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #4624
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
! Anyway, i was talking to one of my buddies who works at the venue and he claimed he had some inside info. First, that Rage Against the Machine has an unannounced date sometime late this summer for Red Rocks.
Might be something to that rumor...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=99369

They play their final European Festival date on Aug. 23rd, Democratic convention is in Denver Aug. 25-28.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #4625
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post

They play their final European Festival date on Aug. 23rd, Democratic convention is in Denver Aug. 25-28.
If they play outside the DNC instead of RNC this year, that would be making the same mistake twice I believe? lol...I've always wanted to see a riot in Minnesota...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #4626
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

That shit gets me excited, no way I'm missing them if they play Red Rocks... or anywhere in CO for that matter. Denver is going to be a madhouse during the convention, adding Rage in to the mix would be sweet.

Oceanminded - Boulder is the shit. About where in BTown do you live?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #4627
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

there's a quote from adam in this LA weekly article about The Melvins

http://www.laweekly.com/music/music/...angeles/19226/

To their peers, the band is an influential, overlooked talent — especially live. “They’re brutal,” guitarist Adam Jones of Tool gushes to me later on his way downtown to rehearse with the Melvins. “Big holes of silence between orchestrated movements, they make your nose bleed but in a really good way. ... They go beyond their potential ... microwaving the crowd.”
---

Looking forward to their free set at Amoeba Hollywood on July 15th
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #4628
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

I'm bored and haven't been to a show since the Palms in December. And no one has posted anything in a couple days. So just for the hell of it I checked the Red Rocks schedule and it looks like there are two open dates.
Aug. 27 and Aug. 28

So KDubbs, any word from your friend working there?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #4629
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
That shit gets me excited, no way I'm missing them if they play Red Rocks... or anywhere in CO for that matter. Denver is going to be a madhouse during the convention, adding Rage in to the mix would be sweet.

Oceanminded - Boulder is the shit. About where in BTown do you live?
Hey KDubbs. Boulder is the shit. Been living here for 6 years. I live right next to the Boulder Public Library at Arapahoe and Lincoln.

I'm about to board a plane coming back from Las Vegas. I really wish a made the trip out here to see Tool play at the Pearl in the Palms Hotel in December. I bet that show was absurd.

Where do you live at Kdubbs?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #4630
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

No word from my connection at Red Rocks... actually he's just a beer vendor, but those guys have a lot of pull around that place if you can believe it or not. But from what he said before it sounded like the RATM date had already been filled, just not announced yet. Maybe Tool has the second open date? wishful thinking.....

I've been in Boulder two years now... currently junior status at the University. I live on the Hill right now, but I'm moving in a month to Canyon St. at about 20th. Thats all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #4631
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
No word from my connection at Red Rocks... actually he's just a beer vendor, but those guys have a lot of pull around that place if you can believe it or not. But from what he said before it sounded like the RATM date had already been filled, just not announced yet. Maybe Tool has the second open date? wishful thinking.....

I've been in Boulder two years now... currently junior status at the University. I live on the Hill right now, but I'm moving in a month to Canyon St. at about 20th. Thats all.
Hey Kdubbs, I hope those Red Rocks rumors are true.
That's cool you live on the hill, that's pretty close to me. I actually work for the University at the Alumni Association. Next time Tool is in town, let's meet up.

Last edited by oceanminded050; 07-11-2008 at 09:57 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #4632
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
That's cool you live on the hill, that's pretty close to me. I actually work for the University at the Alumni Association. Next time Tool is in town, let's meet up.
If anybody hears anything about it, please let me know.
Because I haven't heard a word.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #4633
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
If anybody hears anything about it, please let me know.
Because I haven't heard a word.
And Junior with the K.O.!
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #4634
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Let's definitely do that. I have some friends that work at the Alumni Association call center - maybe you know them. Anyway, i think Junior knows something and is keeping it from us... right Junior?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #4635
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Anyway, i think Junior knows something and is keeping it from us... right Junior?
I wish that were the case, but I really haven't heard anything.
I have been away from the US for nearly 2 months, so I'm a bit out of the loop right now.
I've been given shorter notice from them before, but they've been better about early warnings in the past couple of years.

In short: I have no idea.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #4636
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

With all the other rumors floating around what I'm waiting for is CK5 - J6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I wish that were the case, but I really haven't heard anything.
I have been away from the US for nearly 2 months, so I'm a bit out of the loop right now.
I've been given shorter notice from them before, but they've been better about early warnings in the past couple of years.

In short: I have no idea.
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #4637
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

As far as the Red Rocks rumor goes, I thought we were talking about RATM?

Anyway, not that it's really news or anything but over on Alan Jones' website he confirms Tool will be in Guitar Hero 4.
http://attorneyalanjones.com/
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #4638
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I wonder if we'd be lucky enough for them to be putting maybe an unreleased song into GH4?
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #4639
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

heard uncle nasty on 106.7 kbpi here in the colorado area spread more rumors that tool is supposed to be returning here soon... i'm calling 100% bull fucking shit on it, but it is wierd that these types of rumors are still spreading around.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #4640
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta View Post
heard uncle nasty on 106.7 kbpi here in the colorado area spread more rumors that tool is supposed to be returning here soon... i'm calling 100% bull fucking shit on it, but it is wierd that these types of rumors are still spreading around.
How can you not trust a guy named Uncle Nasty?
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: