Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
08-15-2006, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Fae Verte
High is the way, but our eyes are upon the ground

I only pray heaven knows when to urge you out
I'm not against the 1st one here (lives/eyes). Could be either IMO.

I will disagree with the 2nd one though (urge). I can definitely hear a final "-ft" for "lift", and I think it makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Ignorant, flippant in the congregation

This little light of mine, it gives your past unto me
"Flippant" has been suggested before, and criticised on the grounds that it is an adjective and not a noun. I can kinda hear an initial "fl-" sound too, but I'm prepared to put that down to distortion. "Flippant" here would be like saying "ignorant angry in the congregation" - just weird grammar.

Next, I agree that "it gives your past unto me" fits more or less equally well for sound, but I find this to be an awkward lyric, and infinitely less powerful than "the gift you passed on to me".
Old 08-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #481
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: 04 - 10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) lyrics

Quote:
High is the way, but our eyes are upon the ground

I only pray heaven knows when to urge you out
I'm not against the 1st one here (lives/eyes). Could be either IMO.

I will disagree with the 2nd one though (urge). I can definitely hear a final "-ft" for "lift", and I think it makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Ignorant, flippant in the congregation

This little light of mine, it gives your past unto me
"Flippant" has been suggested before, and criticised on the grounds that it is an adjective and not a noun. I can kinda hear an initial "fl-" sound too, but I'm prepared to put that down to distortion. "Flippant" here would be like saying "ignorant angry in the congregation" - just weird grammar.

Next, I agree that "it gives your past unto me" fits more or less equally well for sound, but I find this to be an awkward lyric, and infinitely less powerful than "the gift you passed on to me".
08-15-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Flippant means to be disrespectful or casual, or even talkative. Either of those would fit in my opinion.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #482
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Flippant means to be disrespectful or casual, or even talkative. Either of those would fit in my opinion.
08-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
^ OMG, in the post previous to this one (in another thread), I also mentioned the Matrix trilogy... spooky. I'd love to hear examples of the phenomenons...
...a few weeks later, I finally respond. I hope my following rant somehow addresses your request for me to elaborate on "the phenomenons" we originally brought up regarding the Matrix movies.. and perhaps it clarifies how I could possibly consider the "10,000 days" album as having mythological themes embedded within it.

Quote:
"If you take different mythologies from different cultures, the names may change and the story lines may vary but there is always something in common. "
-MJK

Well, as far as my understanding goes, these mythological "phenomenons" that are embedded within stories only take affect within the viewer/listener of the art (whether it's a movie or a song or a written narrative) if the viewer/listener is aware of their existence, if he is receiving the story with an awareness that there are common mythical themes purposefully at work within the story, or perhaps the song.

For instance, many people watch the Matrix movies and are completely unaffected by the series of events in the movies, they are completely oblivious to the fact that the Wichowskis have incorporated common mythical themes within the plot of the story for the purpose of emotionally affecting the viewer in some way. They do not notice any similarities between the plight of Neo and their own plight in life, or maybe between Neo and the supposed plight of Jesus. However, if you come to the Matrix movies with a pre-existing awareness that they are somehow related to mythology, and you are able to liken his plight to your own, then you are much more likely to receive the intended emotional affects (the catharsis, as some people say) from those literary/mythological themes. How much emotion you feel is of course relative to how closely you identify with the events in any particular movie/song.

One of the phenomenon's associated with the common affects of mythology on the receiver is that of identifying yourself with the hero figure. Certain things, if not many things, about the hero figure's life are similar to certain things about your own life, so you "introject" the events of the story within yourself and experience it all inwardly as if it were not separate from yourself, as if it were all happening within the world of your mind. It's thought that we are more able to have an emotional release while living vicariously off of a hero myth than we'd be able to if we actually went through the ordeal ourselves. This is because of our distance from real life intensity, from the real life need to actually respond in a life or death situation... the experience of the ordeal is tempered because we at some level know it is not really happening. Our guard becomes let down and we are able to go through the emotional experience at a much more controlled level because we are living vicariously than if we were the ones who were actually facing the hero's problems in our real lives. If we were experiencing the hero's ordeal in our real lives, and not vicariously through a narrative story, the situation would be too intense and we'd block out the flood of experiencing those intense emotions.

ANYWAY, way back in this thread I made the suggestion that the "10,000 days" album might be an attempt to affect such an emotional response from the listeners, or at least certain types of listeners; the ones who can identify in some way with the type of person who is characterized on tracks 7-8. These tracks very specifically characterize an anonymous individual who is trying to be a hero, but falling short. I used to believe also that tracks 3-4 were a masked attempt at getting the listener to identify with the "you" figure in those tracks as well (which at the end of #4 we become disillusioned and find out it is Judith Marie), but now I just think it's not worth the struggle to try and prove since it's very unlikely.

The general theme in tracks 3-4 is that an individual is a "passionate spirit...with a light in [their] eyes that could end all lies", and that they are the "only one who could hold [their] heads up high, to shake [their] fists at the gates". In other words, the "you" figure in tracks 3-4 is being implicated as a hero figure who needs to overcome their "10,000 days in the fire". This is typical for hero myths... that the hero must overcome some overbearing force.

I speculated that MJK might be working with casting a version of the hero myth within his lyrics for this album because other popular recording artists have apparently been doing it, each in their own ways. These other recording artists have casted the listener as a savior-type figure who needs to overcome their obstacles in life... and these artists have been carrying on this lyrical theme consistently throughout many of their albums.. so, I guess I began considering that MJK was incorporating this theme into his lyrics as well... just in a very original way.

I no longer really care to look much further into this possibility. It's far-fetched in the particular case of Tool. If anything, with this album they are CRITICIZING how certain other artists have taken on the role of sympathizers by incorporating this "you, the listener, are the hero" theme into their lyrics.

Quote:
Ignorant fibbers in the congregation, gathered around spewing sympathy. Spare me.
I considered here that he might be referring with "the congregation" to the surrounding trend of other popular culture artists, who offer such general sympathy in their lyrics. ex, "look how the stars shine for you" (Coldplay), "you be my angel, YOU" (Dave Matthews), "I'm handing it over. I'm saying that you're the only one" (Rufus Wainwright). All of these artists, and probably many more, continually offer sympathy in their lyrics that are meant to cast the listener of their music in the hero role within their own lives, which then is meant to have a positive emotional affect on that listener if they take the music to heart. :-\

MJK might be saying with the overall message of this album, "hey, if you think you're being cast as the 'chosen one' from this album, then you must be into some serious deadhead chemistry. I threw you a psychological curveball, mofo!".

-Godin

Last edited by Godin; 08-15-2006 at 05:32 PM..
Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #483
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
^ OMG, in the post previous to this one (in another thread), I also mentioned the Matrix trilogy... spooky. I'd love to hear examples of the phenomenons...
...a few weeks later, I finally respond. I hope my following rant somehow addresses your request for me to elaborate on "the phenomenons" we originally brought up regarding the Matrix movies.. and perhaps it clarifies how I could possibly consider the "10,000 days" album as having mythological themes embedded within it.

Quote:
"If you take different mythologies from different cultures, the names may change and the story lines may vary but there is always something in common. "
-MJK

Well, as far as my understanding goes, these mythological "phenomenons" that are embedded within stories only take affect within the viewer/listener of the art (whether it's a movie or a song or a written narrative) if the viewer/listener is aware of their existence, if he is receiving the story with an awareness that there are common mythical themes purposefully at work within the story, or perhaps the song.

For instance, many people watch the Matrix movies and are completely unaffected by the series of events in the movies, they are completely oblivious to the fact that the Wichowskis have incorporated common mythical themes within the plot of the story for the purpose of emotionally affecting the viewer in some way. They do not notice any similarities between the plight of Neo and their own plight in life, or maybe between Neo and the supposed plight of Jesus. However, if you come to the Matrix movies with a pre-existing awareness that they are somehow related to mythology, and you are able to liken his plight to your own, then you are much more likely to receive the intended emotional affects (the catharsis, as some people say) from those literary/mythological themes. How much emotion you feel is of course relative to how closely you identify with the events in any particular movie/song.

One of the phenomenon's associated with the common affects of mythology on the receiver is that of identifying yourself with the hero figure. Certain things, if not many things, about the hero figure's life are similar to certain things about your own life, so you "introject" the events of the story within yourself and experience it all inwardly as if it were not separate from yourself, as if it were all happening within the world of your mind. It's thought that we are more able to have an emotional release while living vicariously off of a hero myth than we'd be able to if we actually went through the ordeal ourselves. This is because of our distance from real life intensity, from the real life need to actually respond in a life or death situation... the experience of the ordeal is tempered because we at some level know it is not really happening. Our guard becomes let down and we are able to go through the emotional experience at a much more controlled level because we are living vicariously than if we were the ones who were actually facing the hero's problems in our real lives. If we were experiencing the hero's ordeal in our real lives, and not vicariously through a narrative story, the situation would be too intense and we'd block out the flood of experiencing those intense emotions.

ANYWAY, way back in this thread I made the suggestion that the "10,000 days" album might be an attempt to affect such an emotional response from the listeners, or at least certain types of listeners; the ones who can identify in some way with the type of person who is characterized on tracks 7-8. These tracks very specifically characterize an anonymous individual who is trying to be a hero, but falling short. I used to believe also that tracks 3-4 were a masked attempt at getting the listener to identify with the "you" figure in those tracks as well (which at the end of #4 we become disillusioned and find out it is Judith Marie), but now I just think it's not worth the struggle to try and prove since it's very unlikely.

The general theme in tracks 3-4 is that an individual is a "passionate spirit...with a light in [their] eyes that could end all lies", and that they are the "only one who could hold [their] heads up high, to shake [their] fists at the gates". In other words, the "you" figure in tracks 3-4 is being implicated as a hero figure who needs to overcome their "10,000 days in the fire". This is typical for hero myths... that the hero must overcome some overbearing force.

I speculated that MJK might be working with casting a version of the hero myth within his lyrics for this album because other popular recording artists have apparently been doing it, each in their own ways. These other recording artists have casted the listener as a savior-type figure who needs to overcome their obstacles in life... and these artists have been carrying on this lyrical theme consistently throughout many of their albums.. so, I guess I began considering that MJK was incorporating this theme into his lyrics as well... just in a very original way.

I no longer really care to look much further into this possibility. It's far-fetched in the particular case of Tool. If anything, with this album they are CRITICIZING how certain other artists have taken on the role of sympathizers by incorporating this "you, the listener, are the hero" theme into their lyrics.

Quote:
Ignorant fibbers in the congregation, gathered around spewing sympathy. Spare me.
I considered here that he might be referring with "the congregation" to the surrounding trend of other popular culture artists, who offer such general sympathy in their lyrics. ex, "look how the stars shine for you" (Coldplay), "you be my angel, YOU" (Dave Matthews), "I'm handing it over. I'm saying that you're the only one" (Rufus Wainwright). All of these artists, and probably many more, continually offer sympathy in their lyrics that are meant to cast the listener of their music in the hero role within their own lives, which then is meant to have a positive emotional affect on that listener if they take the music to heart. :-\

MJK might be saying with the overall message of this album, "hey, if you think you're being cast as the 'chosen one' from this album, then you must be into some serious deadhead chemistry. I threw you a psychological curveball, mofo!".

-Godin

Last edited by Godin; 08-15-2006 at 05:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
44&4
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM

"This little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me, I'm gonna let it shine and guide you safely on your way...."

"This little light" is the title of a christian Sunday-school song, which has already been covered in posts above, as are it's lyrics. Another connection is the line "You were the one who iluminated your little piece of the divine...." Your little piece of the divine referring of course to MJK as his mother's child (after all,what is more "divine" to a mother than their child?), and now he's giving that "light" back to her in the form of this song. "Illuminated" in its use here doesn't necessisarily mean light in the literal sense, but could refer to education, beliefs, shared wisdom, or most importantly, in this case, love.

Other connections to "light' show up in the song "jimmy" from Aenima, and I think refer to the same thing.....
Old 08-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #484
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"This little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me, I'm gonna let it shine and guide you safely on your way...."

"This little light" is the title of a christian Sunday-school song, which has already been covered in posts above, as are it's lyrics. Another connection is the line "You were the one who iluminated your little piece of the divine...." Your little piece of the divine referring of course to MJK as his mother's child (after all,what is more "divine" to a mother than their child?), and now he's giving that "light" back to her in the form of this song. "Illuminated" in its use here doesn't necessisarily mean light in the literal sense, but could refer to education, beliefs, shared wisdom, or most importantly, in this case, love.

Other connections to "light' show up in the song "jimmy" from Aenima, and I think refer to the same thing.....
OFFLINE |  
08-15-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I think you've missed my point. The problem isn't with the meaning of the word "flippant", but with the kind of word that it is.
It is an adjective or "describing word" just like "angry". Compare:

Adjectives: (Correct use)
There is an ignorant flippant person in the congregation
There is an ignorant angry person in the congregation

Nouns: (Incorrect use)
There is an ignorant flippant in the congregation
There is an ignorant angry in the congregation

An earlier post making the same point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flippant

flippant is an adjective. you don't call someone "a flippant".. you say they are "being flippant," or "making flippant remarks."

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 08-15-2006 at 05:11 PM..
Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #485
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I think you've missed my point. The problem isn't with the meaning of the word "flippant", but with the kind of word that it is.
It is an adjective or "describing word" just like "angry". Compare:

Adjectives: (Correct use)
There is an ignorant flippant person in the congregation
There is an ignorant angry person in the congregation

Nouns: (Incorrect use)
There is an ignorant flippant in the congregation
There is an ignorant angry in the congregation

An earlier post making the same point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flippant

flippant is an adjective. you don't call someone "a flippant".. you say they are "being flippant," or "making flippant remarks."

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 08-15-2006 at 05:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
08-17-2006, 05:34 AM

^ there are exceptions...
Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 AM   #486
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

OFFLINE |  
08-17-2006, 05:46 AM

Godin: I read your long post. Interesting. Although im pretty clear that xkd is an ode to his mother (exclusively), the hero myth for me is more present in tracks 7,8, not really in 3,4. and the ignorant fibbers/flippants in the congregation are, for me, the followers who attended church with Judith. simple as that. no need to look any further. the song is very straightforward.

the hero myth is FO SHO present in the matrix... ;)
Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 AM   #487
Banned.

Godin: I read your long post. Interesting. Although im pretty clear that xkd is an ode to his mother (exclusively), the hero myth for me is more present in tracks 7,8, not really in 3,4. and the ignorant fibbers/flippants in the congregation are, for me, the followers who attended church with Judith. simple as that. no need to look any further. the song is very straightforward.

the hero myth is FO SHO present in the matrix... ;)
OFFLINE |  
08-17-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Can you provide an example of such an exception?
I've never seen or heard "flippant" being used as a noun before. Nor have I ever seen it listed as a noun in any dictionary. To anyone like me who knew of the word and its use before coming across it here, it's suggested use in this lyric just sounds silly.

I love your sig. quotes though!!
My favorite cartoonist AND my favorite philosopher!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #488
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Can you provide an example of such an exception?
I've never seen or heard "flippant" being used as a noun before. Nor have I ever seen it listed as a noun in any dictionary. To anyone like me who knew of the word and its use before coming across it here, it's suggested use in this lyric just sounds silly.

I love your sig. quotes though!!
My favorite cartoonist AND my favorite philosopher!!
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM

^ I knew you were gonna ask for examples!

Ok, um, one that comes to mind (hardly the fittest) is "yellow coward". You know how people call others simply "yellow", or "yellah". So there. I know it's not the best, but there you go.

I guess if you were already familiar with the word "flippant", and now see it used unproperly, then you're probably right. But there's always room for exceptions.

WTF is a fibber, anyways?

C&H is beyond cool comic. BR is more a philosopher than a mathematician, but I like him as well!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #489
Banned.

Ok, um, one that comes to mind (hardly the fittest) is "yellow coward". You know how people call others simply "yellow", or "yellah". So there. I know it's not the best, but there you go.

I guess if you were already familiar with the word "flippant", and now see it used unproperly, then you're probably right. But there's always room for exceptions.

C&H is beyond cool comic. BR is more a philosopher than a mathematician, but I like him as well!
OFFLINE |  
08-17-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:

That use of "yellow/yellah" is still an adjective. You can describe someone as yellow/stupid/flippant, but you can't call them a yellow, a stupid, or a flippant.
If it is the lyric here then it wouldn't be an exception, it would just be a grammatical error by Maynard.

A "fibber" is someone who fibs, tells lies. (I'm not convinced it is "fibbers" in the song. Sounds like "flibbers" to me, but I know that's not a word!)

Yeah, C&H is the shit. Very philosophical too at times. BR wasn't a mathematician, though he was a logician and a philosopher of mathematics. His writings on religion are very interesting, and I would definitely recommend them to any Toolfan.

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 08-17-2006 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #490
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

That use of "yellow/yellah" is still an adjective. You can describe someone as yellow/stupid/flippant, but you can't call them a yellow, a stupid, or a flippant.
If it is the lyric here then it wouldn't be an exception, it would just be a grammatical error by Maynard.

A "fibber" is someone who fibs, tells lies. (I'm not convinced it is "fibbers" in the song. Sounds like "flibbers" to me, but I know that's not a word!)

Yeah, C&H is the shit. Very philosophical too at times. BR wasn't a mathematician, though he was a logician and a philosopher of mathematics. His writings on religion are very interesting, and I would definitely recommend them to any Toolfan.

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 08-17-2006 at 08:44 AM..
OFFLINE |  
08-17-2006, 08:40 AM

ive heard people call others a yellow, on the streets, of course. not on a dictionary. im sure there are better examples, but im too lazy right now to look for any...

I guess fibbers does make sense. so does flippants (if it were a noun, or an exception :P)

viva C&H!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #491
Banned.

ive heard people call others a yellow, on the streets, of course. not on a dictionary. im sure there are better examples, but im too lazy right now to look for any...

I guess fibbers does make sense. so does flippants (if it were a noun, or an exception :P)

viva C&H!
OFFLINE |  
toolmaul
08-30-2006, 07:56 PM

i'm sure it's not fibbers or flippant, its families, makes much more sense, and if you listen carefully it sounds like a quick families "ignorant families in the congregation"
Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #492
Level 4 - Thinker

i'm sure it's not fibbers or flippant, its families, makes much more sense, and if you listen carefully it sounds like a quick families "ignorant families in the congregation"
OFFLINE |  
Steedus
08-30-2006, 09:15 PM

"high is the way but our eyes are upon the ground"

she's going to heaven but everyones looking at the grave...

end of story.........
Old 08-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #493
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

end of story.........
OFFLINE |  
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
08-31-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaul View Post
nah it really isnt. theres a harder 'b' or 'p' sound. really deinately isnt families. also it doesnt make any more sense than fibbers... infact probably less. he want to be spared from those spewing false sympathy...

ta be honest i swear i here flippers... but thats so clearly not it, that i spose ill put my money behind fibbers. flippant could sound right... but yeh, so very wrong grama and sense wise.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 AM   #494
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaul View Post
nah it really isnt. theres a harder 'b' or 'p' sound. really deinately isnt families. also it doesnt make any more sense than fibbers... infact probably less. he want to be spared from those spewing false sympathy...

ta be honest i swear i here flippers... but thats so clearly not it, that i spose ill put my money behind fibbers. flippant could sound right... but yeh, so very wrong grama and sense wise.
OFFLINE |  
08-31-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedus

end of story.........

I know i used to say that it was lives, but i hear it now, its eyes. and your interpretation really does cut it for me...
Old 08-31-2006, 06:54 AM   #495
Banned.

Quote:

end of story.........

I know i used to say that it was lives, but i hear it now, its eyes. and your interpretation really does cut it for me...
OFFLINE |  
toolmaul
09-02-2006, 11:07 AM

im sure its families, more pronounced famlies with a very abbrieviated fam, almost fmlies
Old 09-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #496
Level 4 - Thinker

im sure its families, more pronounced famlies with a very abbrieviated fam, almost fmlies
OFFLINE |  
09-02-2006, 12:03 PM

I dont think so
Old 09-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #497
Banned.

I dont think so
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote: "she's going to heaven but everyones looking at the grave..."

Nice theory, my one is "high as a wave, but our eyes are upon the ground", refering to back when she lived, meaning that she was "higher" than everybody, but still they look at her from above, because she was weelchair-bound.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #498
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Nice theory, my one is "high as a wave, but our eyes are upon the ground", refering to back when she lived, meaning that she was "higher" than everybody, but still they look at her from above, because she was weelchair-bound.
OFFLINE |  
09-02-2006, 04:10 PM

i gotta ask: why wave, T21?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #499
Banned.

high as a wave...

i gotta ask: why wave, T21?
OFFLINE |  
Steedus
09-04-2006, 07:01 PM

i don't mean to be narky, but it's HIGH IS THE WAY BUT OUR EYES ARE UPON THE GROUND

once again, end of story... it sounds like nothing else, and nothing else makes as much sense, the whole time maynard is singing about how everyone seems to have it wrong, read all the previous lyrics in the song and he's clearly singing that point across. and this line 'high is the way' compounds that, everyone is still once again getting it wrong. i think it might even be a celebration of her release from the 10,000 days of fire. he's glad she's gone cause she's gone to buttload of a better place than this pisshole.

when the official lyrics come out i'll be collecting my winnings over this.

love you's all ya smelly bastards!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #500
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i don't mean to be narky, but it's HIGH IS THE WAY BUT OUR EYES ARE UPON THE GROUND

once again, end of story... it sounds like nothing else, and nothing else makes as much sense, the whole time maynard is singing about how everyone seems to have it wrong, read all the previous lyrics in the song and he's clearly singing that point across. and this line 'high is the way' compounds that, everyone is still once again getting it wrong. i think it might even be a celebration of her release from the 10,000 days of fire. he's glad she's gone cause she's gone to buttload of a better place than this pisshole.

OFFLINE |  
09-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:
hey!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #501
Banned.

Quote:

Quote:
hey!
OFFLINE |  
Steedus
09-05-2006, 03:47 PM

i'm just assuming you're bastards
Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #502
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i'm just assuming you're bastards
OFFLINE |  
Steedus
09-05-2006, 03:57 PM

when i said "everyone is still once again getting it wrong." i wasn't referring to anyone having the lyrics wrong, i was meaning that it was 'wrong' to be lamenting judith maries passing when they should instead be celebrating her 'ascendance'.

anyone care to talk to me with regards to this idea? i personally think i'm spot on but hey, these are maynards lyrics, i'm sure they mean more than one thing and we might still have no idea of any of the meanings in reality.

i do sincerely loves you all. and you are sincerely smelly bastards

Last edited by Steedus; 09-05-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Old 09-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #503
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

when i said "everyone is still once again getting it wrong." i wasn't referring to anyone having the lyrics wrong, i was meaning that it was 'wrong' to be lamenting judith maries passing when they should instead be celebrating her 'ascendance'.

anyone care to talk to me with regards to this idea? i personally think i'm spot on but hey, these are maynards lyrics, i'm sure they mean more than one thing and we might still have no idea of any of the meanings in reality.

i do sincerely loves you all. and you are sincerely smelly bastards

Last edited by Steedus; 09-05-2006 at 10:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
09-08-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post

Guys!? he just said "river overruns..." it's wave!

REFERring to a tidal wave, ie people starring at the beach as if hipnotised. Not realizing that the waters on it's way back, with grim consequence.

This song may obvously be about "Judith Marie..." but it's sung in a metaphoric sense of the end of times and second coming...yada yada.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #504
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post

Guys!? he just said "river overruns..." it's wave!

REFERring to a tidal wave, ie people starring at the beach as if hipnotised. Not realizing that the waters on it's way back, with grim consequence.

This song may obvously be about "Judith Marie..." but it's sung in a metaphoric sense of the end of times and second coming...yada yada.
09-08-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post

Ah ha! it is flippers!
I myself am from OH and when we wish to say fuckers or fuckin' and we don't want to be quite so rude, often we'll spit out "flippin" (maybe cause we're somwhere like a funeral) or if you happen to be opening a childs new toy, you may say aloud "Why are there so many flippin' staples in this box!"

Hence Maynard thingking to himself (about his family and loved ones)
"ignorant flippers in the congregation,
gather around spewing sympothy, spare me."

Note: the spewed sympathy is not nessasarily(SP) false, he just wishes to be spared the gestures that consolling people often wish to extend.

Last edited by benjamin; 09-08-2006 at 08:40 PM..
Old 09-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #505
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post

Ah ha! it is flippers!
I myself am from OH and when we wish to say fuckers or fuckin' and we don't want to be quite so rude, often we'll spit out "flippin" (maybe cause we're somwhere like a funeral) or if you happen to be opening a childs new toy, you may say aloud "Why are there so many flippin' staples in this box!"

Hence Maynard thingking to himself (about his family and loved ones)
"ignorant flippers in the congregation,
gather around spewing sympothy, spare me."

Note: the spewed sympathy is not nessasarily(SP) false, he just wishes to be spared the gestures that consolling people often wish to extend.

Last edited by benjamin; 09-08-2006 at 08:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Steedus
09-09-2006, 02:04 AM

A: it's fibbers/figures
B: it's high is the way - i do not care what anyone says, he does NOT say 'wave' listen closely for the V sound... not there is it? cause he doesn't say wave....

when did i ask where you were from? anyone can say flippers instread of fuckers, i don't remember it being legislated to people from ohio only...

spare me

Last edited by Steedus; 09-09-2006 at 02:12 AM..
Old 09-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #506
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

B: it's high is the way - i do not care what anyone says, he does NOT say 'wave' listen closely for the V sound... not there is it? cause he doesn't say wave....

when did i ask where you were from? anyone can say flippers instread of fuckers, i don't remember it being legislated to people from ohio only...

spare me

Last edited by Steedus; 09-09-2006 at 02:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-09-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedus View Post
You're not serious, are you?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #507
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
You're not serious, are you?
OFFLINE |  
Steedus
09-09-2006, 05:27 AM

totally serious
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 AM   #508
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

totally serious
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-09-2006, 06:04 AM

Sorry if this sounded like an asshole - I would be pissed off from that comment.

All I wanna say is that Maynard likes to swallow and add many letters, lol, some words on AEnima sound very strange and I don't think you need to hear a definate v sound to get the possibility of a "wave".
Old 09-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #509
Level 8 - Vociferous

Sorry if this sounded like an asshole - I would be pissed off from that comment.

All I wanna say is that Maynard likes to swallow and add many letters, lol, some words on AEnima sound very strange and I don't think you need to hear a definate v sound to get the possibility of a "wave".
OFFLINE |  
09-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:

spare me
Well since Maynard is also from OH, dork. I was relating to the slang used locally. You can also clearly hear FL at the begining of the word, listen to it, when your thinking fibbers, it sounds like a tiny glitch in there. If you think flippers, then it sounds right.
As for way or wave, there's clearly no V sound emphisized(sp) because he says: but are eyes r upon the ground so close to the word wave. If the V were vocalized he would run out of room. Why would it be way? There's too much assumption in "way", the way of what? Again he just mentioned the river, I don't see the confusion.

and we're working on the legislation currently.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #510
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

spare me
Well since Maynard is also from OH, dork. I was relating to the slang used locally. You can also clearly hear FL at the begining of the word, listen to it, when your thinking fibbers, it sounds like a tiny glitch in there. If you think flippers, then it sounds right.
As for way or wave, there's clearly no V sound emphisized(sp) because he says: but are eyes r upon the ground so close to the word wave. If the V were vocalized he would run out of room. Why would it be way? There's too much assumption in "way", the way of what? Again he just mentioned the river, I don't see the confusion.

and we're working on the legislation currently.
09-11-2006, 12:42 AM

don't call me a dork, i find it extremely hard to believe that the slang 'flippers' is an OH only term. and you're just trying to give credibility to your argument and trying to bring attention to yourself "oh i from ohio, so is maynard, i'm in the "in" club now, i'm cool and i know better cause i'm from the same state as MAYNARD, I KNOW what the lyrics REALLY are...." you say "slang used locally" like it couldn't possibly be used anywhere else. that pressure holds no sway.

spare me

as for your other comments you're purely rationalizing, like i said when the official lyrics are realeased i'll be collecting a big payout for being RIGHT. (run out of room? HAH!)
if by some ridiculous turn of events he does turn out to be saying WAVE i'll punch the little bald prick in the face myself. i suppose he also says "you are the light and the WAVE they'll only read about" ???

i just read your theory about flippers again... i realise it's not even worth talking about.
flippers is ridiculous. i'd be ashamed of maynard for stooping to such a linguistic low.

i'm tired of arguing a moot point anyhow, i think we should move on to meanings of the lyrics. we're at the end of the fucking "i think he says this" rope...

for the last time "high is the way but our eyes are upon the ground" Celebrate ascension, not lament descension.

no hard feelings or anything. but being from ohio doesn't put you in any kind of unique position. you're not better than us. your flippant boring innacurate interpretation of the *incorrect lyrics are testament to that.

Last edited by Steedus; 09-11-2006 at 12:51 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #511
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

don't call me a dork, i find it extremely hard to believe that the slang 'flippers' is an OH only term. and you're just trying to give credibility to your argument and trying to bring attention to yourself "oh i from ohio, so is maynard, i'm in the "in" club now, i'm cool and i know better cause i'm from the same state as MAYNARD, I KNOW what the lyrics REALLY are...." you say "slang used locally" like it couldn't possibly be used anywhere else. that pressure holds no sway.

spare me

as for your other comments you're purely rationalizing, like i said when the official lyrics are realeased i'll be collecting a big payout for being RIGHT. (run out of room? HAH!)
if by some ridiculous turn of events he does turn out to be saying WAVE i'll punch the little bald prick in the face myself. i suppose he also says "you are the light and the WAVE they'll only read about" ???

i just read your theory about flippers again... i realise it's not even worth talking about.
flippers is ridiculous. i'd be ashamed of maynard for stooping to such a linguistic low.

i'm tired of arguing a moot point anyhow, i think we should move on to meanings of the lyrics. we're at the end of the fucking "i think he says this" rope...

for the last time "high is the way but our eyes are upon the ground" Celebrate ascension, not lament descension.

no hard feelings or anything. but being from ohio doesn't put you in any kind of unique position. you're not better than us. your flippant boring innacurate interpretation of the *incorrect lyrics are testament to that.

Last edited by Steedus; 09-11-2006 at 12:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
09-11-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:

spare me

The fact that you are using Maynard's lyrics to "prove your point" make you look much less credible. Stop using "spare me" in every post you make. We know what the lyrics are and don't need you to continually stick them randomly into your posts.

Last edited by Thirdeye11; 09-11-2006 at 06:44 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #512
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

spare me

The fact that you are using Maynard's lyrics to "prove your point" make you look much less credible. Stop using "spare me" in every post you make. We know what the lyrics are and don't need you to continually stick them randomly into your posts.

Last edited by Thirdeye11; 09-11-2006 at 06:44 AM..
OFFLINE |  
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Steedus;1390887]don't call me a dork, i find it extremely hard to believe that the slang 'flippers' is an OH only term. and you're just trying to give credibility to your QuoteEND]

I don't care what you say or where you say it. I never implied this was some OH only saying, it was just a point.

It's pretty offensive to imply that someone is such a loser wannabe.

Last edited by benjamin; 09-11-2006 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #513
Level 8 - Vociferous

[QUOTE=Steedus;1390887]don't call me a dork, i find it extremely hard to believe that the slang 'flippers' is an OH only term. and you're just trying to give credibility to your QuoteEND]

I don't care what you say or where you say it. I never implied this was some OH only saying, it was just a point.

It's pretty offensive to imply that someone is such a loser wannabe.

Last edited by benjamin; 09-11-2006 at 12:01 PM..
OFFLINE |  
09-11-2006, 10:39 AM

So I suppose he just can't say fibbers clearly, is that what you contend? You still have not said much about the sounds of the words themselves. I think you'd rather just blast people than talk about the lyric
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #514
Level 8 - Vociferous

So I suppose he just can't say fibbers clearly, is that what you contend? You still have not said much about the sounds of the words themselves. I think you'd rather just blast people than talk about the lyric
09-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:

for the last time "high is the way but our eyes are upon the ground" Celebrate ascension, not lament descension..
In the whole song, he never says anything so literaly discribing as you contend that he does here.
Note, when he sings "ignorant fibbers/flippers in the congregation..." A congregation doesn't pertain to a WAKE or SHOWING.
In fact the whole line (that YOU contend) is totally out of context to the song.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #515
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

for the last time "high is the way but our eyes are upon the ground" Celebrate ascension, not lament descension..
In the whole song, he never says anything so literaly discribing as you contend that he does here.
Note, when he sings "ignorant fibbers/flippers in the congregation..." A congregation doesn't pertain to a WAKE or SHOWING.
In fact the whole line (that YOU contend) is totally out of context to the song.
09-11-2006, 02:57 PM

so, benji, whats your guess on that line again?

i happen to agree with steedus, and the line isnt out of context at all. its talking about ascension; judith deserving her wings... i dont think thats out of context!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #516
Banned.

i happen to agree with steedus, and the line isnt out of context at all. its talking about ascension; judith deserving her wings... i dont think thats out of context!
OFFLINE |  
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post

I think he purposely doesn't write so literally.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #517
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post

I think he purposely doesn't write so literally.
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM

Again, while this song is sertainly re. Judith, at least it is to Maynard. I also feel it's sung in a metaphoric theme of the end of days (or at least nearing them) which some feel is upon us. "It's time now" for a new chapter to be written, another savior to be amung us. Give Maynard HIS wings, for being a soulfull believer. Not in christianity but the next step, recognition of, and devotion to, one's own soul as god itself. For being a beacon of inspiration to all, and for all.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #518
Level 8 - Vociferous

Again, while this song is sertainly re. Judith, at least it is to Maynard. I also feel it's sung in a metaphoric theme of the end of days (or at least nearing them) which some feel is upon us. "It's time now" for a new chapter to be written, another savior to be amung us. Give Maynard HIS wings, for being a soulfull believer. Not in christianity but the next step, recognition of, and devotion to, one's own soul as god itself. For being a beacon of inspiration to all, and for all.
09-11-2006, 08:45 PM

I think there's a consensus up to here in the words, but then I think it's...

"but enough about the collective judas. Who could deny, you were the one who
illuminated a vital piece of the devine."

he's saying that he's heard enough about how Judas (and summarily all critics of the christian faith) are so evil and dispicable. MJK knows all too well that the lesson
of Judas is the final and perhaps most vital of all. That it was better for him to bare witness to his savior than to lie.

"'n this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me. I'll let it shine to guide you
safely on your way, your way home."

the "light" is the information, the lesson of Judas. Most (if not all) prominent figures in organized religion today denounce the actions of Judas even though Jesus explained them also. This is what seperates all of us, enlightenment.

"high is the wave but our eyes are upon the ground."

talking about all the dumb fucks looking at all the wrong things at all the wrong times. Such as people tend to do.
Ya know, he kinda explains, when in"rosetta stoned" he talks about how the next savior is in a mental hospital somewhere. He also is quoted ON THIS WEBSITE as saying "...hear my music and be inspired to do something great...I don't want to take anyones interopritation away from them..." I think he means, not just great but the greatest. Like hey guy you know if your out there, it's time man, get this thing (the evolution) started.

that's why it's 'wave' and not way.

Last edited by benjamin; 09-12-2006 at 07:54 PM..
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #519
Level 8 - Vociferous

I think there's a consensus up to here in the words, but then I think it's...

"but enough about the collective judas. Who could deny, you were the one who
illuminated a vital piece of the devine."

he's saying that he's heard enough about how Judas (and summarily all critics of the christian faith) are so evil and dispicable. MJK knows all too well that the lesson
of Judas is the final and perhaps most vital of all. That it was better for him to bare witness to his savior than to lie.

"'n this little light of mine, a gift you passed on to me. I'll let it shine to guide you
safely on your way, your way home."

the "light" is the information, the lesson of Judas. Most (if not all) prominent figures in organized religion today denounce the actions of Judas even though Jesus explained them also. This is what seperates all of us, enlightenment.

"high is the wave but our eyes are upon the ground."

talking about all the dumb fucks looking at all the wrong things at all the wrong times. Such as people tend to do.
Ya know, he kinda explains, when in"rosetta stoned" he talks about how the next savior is in a mental hospital somewhere. He also is quoted ON THIS WEBSITE as saying "...hear my music and be inspired to do something great...I don't want to take anyones interopritation away from them..." I think he means, not just great but the greatest. Like hey guy you know if your out there, it's time man, get this thing (the evolution) started.

that's why it's 'wave' and not way.

Last edited by benjamin; 09-12-2006 at 07:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
09-11-2006, 09:14 PM

well, while your interpretation is indeed elaborate, please allow me to say that from my point of view, youre reading too much into it.

i feel that finally, MJK has decided to write straightforward lyrics, about his FEELINGS, and especially those reserved for his mother. its pretty personal for him (i imagine), and he (or at least I) would want the message to be clear in intention and finality. so, while your explanation is sorta off (not totally), it does coincide with the whole issue of ascension, etc, and in the specific case of this song, its all about Judith and the life she led. let us not forget that Christians believe in Heaven, a higher form of living, a paradise. so, having that in mind, "high is the way, but all eyes (or 'our lives') are upon the ground" makes perfect sense. and thats just not reading too much into it. not abstracting as much.

cheers.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #520
Banned.

well, while your interpretation is indeed elaborate, please allow me to say that from my point of view, youre reading too much into it.

i feel that finally, MJK has decided to write straightforward lyrics, about his FEELINGS, and especially those reserved for his mother. its pretty personal for him (i imagine), and he (or at least I) would want the message to be clear in intention and finality. so, while your explanation is sorta off (not totally), it does coincide with the whole issue of ascension, etc, and in the specific case of this song, its all about Judith and the life she led. let us not forget that Christians believe in Heaven, a higher form of living, a paradise. so, having that in mind, "high is the way, but all eyes (or 'our lives') are upon the ground" makes perfect sense. and thats just not reading too much into it. not abstracting as much.

cheers.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply