opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #241
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

I got your download out of the reviews section for Lateralus Chris- thanks! Tom sounded pretty damn good. I am hoping that maybe Trent Reznor or Thurston Moore might come out with them when I see the Pukkelpop fest in Aug.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #242
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13

This post is in response to a user named roomservice, who posted in the review section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomservice View Post
the flaming lips were 10 times better than tool.

after seeing them 3 times in 2 months, tools show wears thin.

very scripted.

hats off to the FLips for stealing the show from the headliners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomservice View Post
tool is a really great band, and they encourage their fans to branch out and think for themselves and try to be original in every way...
yet, they play the same boring set, like bonnaroo is no big deal.

in no way was i impressed. the shortened set in san antonio, the sub par corpus christi set, then the bonnaroo set where they left 45 minutes early.....i mean..wtf?

tool probably didn't jam with jpj because they brought out morello. and they are friends...
they probably didn't stay long enough to meet jpj.

and yes, the police are overrated.
thats why i showed up 2 hours early to FLips.
wayne and stephen actually looked like they gave a fuck when they were playing.
as opposed to adam standing in the same spot for 1 hr and 45 min.
If you went to a Tool concert expecting to see a revamped setlist every night, you went to the wrong place. If you went to a Tool concert expecting to see band members hamming it up on stage, you went to the wrong place. It's unfortunate that it took you 3 concerts in 2 months to realize this. Next time don't go in with heightened expectations. It doesn't matter what you see, you'll be let down with that mindset. Go in with no expectations and surprise yourself.

Would I like Tool to change up the setlist more? Hell yeah. But, when it comes to the repeat listening value in their songs, the other bands that I have heard just don't compare.

I'll say this about the Flaming Lips. I've never seen them live, but I've seen enough on Youtube to get an impression. Great visual display, even if it is gimmicky. The front man and his band/entourage really make an effort to get the audience to like them. These are good things. There is just one thing about them that is lacking, and it's a really important thing.....THE MUSIC!!!

I can see why you enjoyed the Flaming Lips, but to be honest, basically everything I've heard from them sounds like an out-of-tune nursery rhyme.

Comparing the Flaming Lips to Tool is like comparing apples to oranges. If you want to see a concert that produces group fun with balloons and glowsticks, people jumping up and down while waving their arms in unison, then go see the Flaming Lips. If you want to see a concert that is more introspective, then go see Tool.

I did not go to Bonnaroo, but judging from the reviews, this show was probably as good as you will see from Tool in the year 2007. If you didn't like this show, then maybe you need a very long Tool concert hiatus to say the least.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #243
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 901

Yeah...I can't believe anyone would think the FLips stole the show. You are sadly, sadly mistaken. As the poster above said before, they are lacking the music. Their shows just cater to people on drugs - and even then, I don't know about you but if i'm tripping the LAST THING I want to hear is some douchebag on stage going on about the war. It's ok if he says one or two things, but a whole speech is a little much.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #244
A truant finds home
Suicide Booth ID: 6

Bincount™: 3436

You guys are ridiculous. The Flaming Lips are a lot better than Tool.
Sorry, I should clarify. I ment that either way their concerts are far too long for a terrible faux-prog metal nu-rock airhead shitwank boy-band, and that they should be banned from palying music altogether. - mope
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #245
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
You guys are ridiculous. The Flaming Lips are a lot better than Tool.

Mr. Truant, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #246
A truant finds home

sorry that I don't have Tool's collective dick in my mouth and I can properly rate bands for their entire output.
Sorry, I should clarify. I ment that either way their concerts are far too long for a terrible faux-prog metal nu-rock airhead shitwank boy-band, and that they should be banned from palying music altogether. - mope
Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #247
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
sorry that I don't have Tool's collective dick in my mouth and I can properly rate bands for their entire output.
you just reinforced novus' point.....your a moron
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #248
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Man, I hope you're not that dude that peddles half-ass cartoon caricatures in Wilmington.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #249
got poopy? (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 7

I have yet to see a tool show on any drug...with the exception of some rum & cokes in '02 before the Daytona show. I think they rock live...they are not a jamming hippy improv band, but they are clearly capable of playing a varied setlist from night to night...they choose not to for whatever reason. Iron Maiden does the same thing and it drives everyone fucking crazy... It is not worth seeing this band more than once on any given leg of their tours. I recommend going to see them on different legs if you want to see a different set list. Sure you might get lucky and see flood/pushit/right in two if you go see them 3 consecutive nights...or you might get Right in two for the 3 nights and be really pissed. I say fuck it...go see them when you can and enjoy it for what it is. This over obsessing about a band is stupid and pointless....If you get Pushit at your show then you are lucky....that is all. If you get Pushit/Flood/Aenima at your show then you are dreaming and need to wakeup.

:)
Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #250
A truant finds home

OMG that dude doesn't think tool is the best band ever. He must be an idiot!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #251
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Everyone has their own opinions...but I really can't fathom the thought that the Lips are better than Tool. It doesn't matter anyways, they are at completly different ends of the spectrum.

Anywheyssss....BONNAROO.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #252
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
OMG that dude doesn't think tool is the best band ever. He must be an idiot!
I'm from Connecticut and did not attend Bonnaroo, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but why the fuck are you even posting in a Tool forum if your avatar says "Tool sucks"

I'm not saying they have to be your favorite band, but you have to give credit where credit is due, even if you like really shitty bands that care more about their looks than thier music better than Tool.

You can't just say that they suck, though. Anyone who thinks that Tool sucks doesn't know music and should be shot.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #253
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi DMT View Post
I'm from Connecticut and did not attend Bonnaroo, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but why the fuck are you even posting in a Tool forum if your avatar says "Tool sucks"

He got his feelings hurt and this is how small-minded people react.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #254
A truant finds home

Yes, I got my feelings hurt over a bunch of people who think that Tool is better than the Flaming Lips. Have you ever heard of a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi DMT
I'm not saying they have to be your favorite band, but you have to give credit where credit is due, even if you like really shitty bands that care more about their looks than thier music better than Tool.
okay, I'll give Tool credit for watering down the sounds of the melvins and King Crimson and making them appeal to the masses. I'll give them credit for a lackluster live show that they try to cover up by having pretty lasers and videos. I'll give them credit for playing the same shitty songs over and over. Tool's alright, Aenima and Lateralus are good albums, but they are not the best band ever
Old 06-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #255
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

^ 1,836 posts on the official tool message board.

"well now i've got some advice for you little buddy..."
Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthruput View Post
I have yet to see a tool show on any drug...with the exception of some rum & cokes in '02 before the Daytona show. I think they rock live...they are not a jamming hippy improv band, but they are clearly capable of playing a varied setlist from night to night...they choose not to for whatever reason. Iron Maiden does the same thing and it drives everyone fucking crazy... It is not worth seeing this band more than once on any given leg of their tours. I recommend going to see them on different legs if you want to see a different set list. Sure you might get lucky and see flood/pushit/right in two if you go see them 3 consecutive nights...or you might get Right in two for the 3 nights and be really pissed. I say fuck it...go see them when you can and enjoy it for what it is. This over obsessing about a band is stupid and pointless....If you get Pushit at your show then you are lucky....that is all. If you get Pushit/Flood/Aenima at your show then you are dreaming and need to wakeup.

Great post!!!

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #257
A truant finds home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Inslee View Post
^ 1,836 posts on the official tool message board.

"well now i've got some advice for you little buddy..."
whats that advice? that I should be really lame and quote tool lyrics on a tool message board? That I should defend a band that I have nothing to do with besides owning their records? That I should just accept the shit they pull without realizing that the band doesn't give a shit about their fans?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #258

Bincount™: 13

Truant, are you okay? What's really bothering you?

Let's see, you have been a member here since 2003 and have almost 2000 posts. You own some Tool records, and recently you attended your first Tool concert. Now, you believe, in essence, that Tool sucks.

It seems you were once a fan, but now you have become a hater.

So, why did you become a hater? Was it because you spent some money and they didn't show you enough love in return? You feel betrayed, don't you? Don't be afraid, you can make it through this.

Find a postive outlet for your pent up aggression. There are other bands out there for you to fall in love with. Post positive things on their message boards instead of negative things here. Maybe Tool isn't for you, so please, stop treating them like your ex-lover who cheated on you.

Last edited by dice5199; 06-21-2007 at 04:44 PM..
Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #259
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

^ hahahhahahaha oh man i just pictured stewart scott saying that quote in your signature. i cringed a bit at the thought
Old 06-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Inslee View Post
^ hahahhahahaha oh man i just pictured stewart scott saying that quote in your signature. i cringed a bit at the thought
It was not Stu Scott that said that. It was John Buccigross
Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #261
Level 1 - Lurker

Gov't Mule was better than Flamming Lips in my opinion... i've tried liking the Flamming Lips, i've bought the albums, i have them on vinyl, but when i saw them at bonnaroo i realized how much i couldn't enjoy the music. Good show and all, but i retreated to Gov't Mule and had a wayyyyyyy better time. Bob Wier came out and so did John Paul Jones, SICK!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #262
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence04 View Post
Gov't Mule was better than Flamming Lips in my opinion... i've tried liking the Flamming Lips, i've bought the albums, i have them on vinyl, but when i saw them at bonnaroo i realized how much i couldn't enjoy the music. Good show and all, but i retreated to Gov't Mule and had a wayyyyyyy better time. Bob Wier came out and so did John Paul Jones, SICK!!!
I agree. I left the FLips show after a few songs and caught Gov't Mule. And it worked out righteously because I am a huge Zeppelin/Jefferson Airplane/Dead fan. Plus Gov't Mule get down a lot better than the Lips so I was grooving.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #263
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I just noticed when going back and listening to the show, Maynard said "... all the way back to 2006" -- and then they go into Flood? Or am I missing something...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #264
Level 4 - Thinker

to each his own.to each his own.to each his own.to each his own.to each his own.

great. you like gov't. he likes flips. everyone likes tool. woo hoo.

these are opinions on an opinion board.

LETS ALL ARGUE!

i feel like i posted an opinion and incited an internet jihad.

but all bullshit aside...

gov't mule, flips, tool...are all great bands.
who played the best that weekend? well thats a difficult question to answer...

so ill do what i shouldve done to begin with.

all those bands played great. as did black keys, kings of leon, tortoise, and the rx bandits....among others...

end.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #265
Level 2 - Poster

Hey I appologize if this has already been addressed, but has anyone noticed that there are no pics of Tool on the Bonnaroo website? I wonder why that is. They seem to have nice sets of everyone else there.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #266
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_BuckEye View Post
Hey I appologize if this has already been addressed, but has anyone noticed that there are no pics of Tool on the Bonnaroo website? I wonder why that is. They seem to have nice sets of everyone else there.

The website actually did have TOOL pictures up there for a few hours before removing them. They were pretty good, but nothing I haven't seen before. I was surprised the website had put them up there considering TOOL hadn't allowed professional photographers in the media pit during their set. I assume either the TOOL camp contacted Bonnaroo about taking them down, or the webmaster realized his/her mistake.

Interesting to note, during the show there was actually a group of people standing a few feet in front of me with professional cameras. I didn't ask them whom they were with. I wonder if they were the source for the photos?

To answer your question, TOOL hardly ever allows media to take pictures during their shows. I've only seen certain instances where they allowed pictures during maybe one or two songs. This seems especially true for festivals. No live webcasts, no inclusion on the live DVDs or CDs, and definitely no pictures.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #267
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

I still can't get over how much this show rocked. I'm this all's been covered by now, but, MJK quotes from that evening:
-When they hit the stage, immediately prior to rippin' up Jambi, "I smell patchouli!"
-Before Stinkfist (during ( - ) ions) "Had a shower earlier... it felt great, even used soap.. air conditioned trailer, jealous?"
-Before Rosetta Stoned, "I assume most of you are the uh, the marijuana, or the uh, the LSD.. [and] what not. You are all under arrest. Here's a song about y'all..."
-Before Flood, "You alright? ... We're gonna go back a couple years with one if you don't mind. Waay back in 2006. I'd like to dedicate this song to uh, deputy sheriff David Cross. Thank-you sir".
-During Lateralus, after "reaching out to embrace whatever may come" ... "ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, the Nightwatchman himself, the master of gaywad solo, Tom fucking Morello". Then after Morello's rediculous solo, Maynard said (???) "Tom Morello... think about 'im". But I could be wrong about that last part.
-After Lateralus, "thank-you very much very much find enduring our cynical attitudes. Police tomorrow.. [dang fine]" or damn fine, or he mumbled some random rubbish. Whatever he said at the end there sounded quite sarcastic.
-After Vicarious, "thank-you very much.. have a great weekend".

Anyway. So many engrossing, enriching, and exhilarating moments during this show. It's very hard to sort of paint a picture for somebody, what their shows are like, if that person has yet to experience it. Their so fucking masterful at what they do. I wish Justin could play bass in my band. They play every section or note with such awesome execution. Compared to the albums, the dynamics for one have an infinite range, which I suppose could be said for any good musician or band playing live. The sound is just so much more multi-dimensional. I like how during Jambi at the "the devil and his had me down" part Adam creeps back into into the riff with a sharp crescendo. Or the way the band subtly broke away in the Pot right before Maynard's, "liar, lawyer -mirror, for you...". Tough to explain, I suppose you had to be there.

Flood DID have a lotta energy, I must say. I'm actually glad they played it. I did not want to show (or the weekend for that matter) end. I truly hope this is not the final tour....

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: