Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
ultrakow
05-10-2006, 03:18 AM

The meaning of lots keys appears initially deceiving.

The books recently mentioned on Toolband.com however, provide some clues and with a little research, profound insight. All these books relate to a language called Enochian. Many of them are what the nonchalantly refers to as Grimoires, that is books of ancient knowledge of which many were thought to (and in this in fact did) knowledge of magical lore and spiritual communication.

Enochian is an angelic language, with its own script. The beginnings of this language commence with Trithemius's "Steganographia" The script found therein does not resemble at all known Latin, Greek, or Hebrew orthographic system. The closest equivalents seem to be Ethiopian and Arabic for various and quite unrelated textual reasons.

The scholarship of this language, which would continue primarily with the work of John Dee ("THE COMPLETE ENOCHIAN DICTIONARY A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed By Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley, Donald C", "
True AND Faithful Relation of What Passed for Many Years Between Dr. John Dee AND Some Spirits (1659) Dee, John.") In more recent times, the tradition has been taken up by one Aleister Crowley ("Book of Lies, The
Crowley, Aleister" "The Equinox, Vol. III, No. 1 Crowley, Aleister", "The Book of Thoth: A Short Essay on the Tarot of the Egyptians Being the Equinx Volume III No. V Crowley, Aleister ").

The content of this strange language throughout its morphological and academic history becomes quite interesting in its treatment by John Dee and is best illuminated by wikipedia:

"Most of the vocabulary consists of names of angels derived from four acrostic tablets. Besides that, there are fewer than a thousand attested words, which appear in nineteen symbolic poems, called "keys"."

Obviously folks Maynard wasn't talking about a janitor’s ring or the black button thingy you used to get into your Honda. We observe the connection between both lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned musically, but it becomes clearer in its interconnection with this clue, as well as few others left in their recent 'bibliography' and their previous album.

Those astute fans will remember then entry in Kabir's FAQ about the last track of the album Faaip de Oiad:

"The title is Enochian for "Voice of God."

The talking is from a radio call-in show (Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell). It is one of the classic moments from that show, during which the caller claims to be a former Area 51 employee, and that the military was out to get him. Oddly enough, the satellite which carried that show suddenly died (losing the feed to some fifty stations) during the broadcast. The caller later admitted that the story was a hoax."

A search of another book on their list entitled THE AZOETIA yields only an only French edition which descriptions (according to abebooks.com) :
"histoire ou vie tirée des monumens anecdotes de l'ancienne Egypte. Traduite d'un manuscrit grec"

which translates :" story or life taken from anecdotal monuments of ancient Egypt. Translated from a Greek manuscript."

The Rosetta stone was the archaeological find which allowed for the translations of Egyptian hieroglyphs. It was veritable key for decipher a previous unknown language.

What the fuck does all this mean?

In Lateralus they associate the language of Angels (Enochian) with extraterrestrial encounters. The angels/aliens relation resonates through lots keys/Rosetta stoned, if not the whole album. The song seems to about someone has an alien encounter, but doesn't remember the transcendent and groundbreaking details, due to or simply while on acid. The keys, the 'Rosetta stone' of the Enochian language, were lost, not recorded or remembered, because of the effects of LSD. Therefore we blame Hoffman, the chemical synthesizer of LSD, for loss of the 'keys'. The title of Rosetta Stoned displays almost the same articulation. Rosetta Stoned as a song appearing as the source of translation between two things (in this case aliens/angels and humans, in the case of the real Rosetta Stone Greek and Egyptian) which then becomes obfuscated by intoxication. The song Rosetta Stoned serves as Rosetta stone in itself through its narrative. It solidifies, like Faaip de Oiad, Tools emphasis on the connection between Angels and Aliens. We can translate the ancient phenomenon into modern-day perspective, and vice-versa.

Tool attempts to associate ancient encounters and accounts of angels with extraterrestrials. We dare say that Tool even confuses the two in order to display their sameness. This fact sheds new light on the mention of angels in both Vicarious and Right in Two. The detached perspective of Right in Two had been determined from an Angelic perspective. Even the idea of his mother ascending to heaven and becoming an angel (by gaining her wings) connects, however in a way I am not yet certain. Per

Angels and Extraterrestrials? The real question is if they are just tooling around with us??? Or does this point to a higher meaning, above the esoteric intertextuality? A need within humanity for a metaphysically undisclosed exterior? Or simply something higher? Or… ?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Meaning of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned

The books recently mentioned on Toolband.com however, provide some clues and with a little research, profound insight. All these books relate to a language called Enochian. Many of them are what the nonchalantly refers to as Grimoires, that is books of ancient knowledge of which many were thought to (and in this in fact did) knowledge of magical lore and spiritual communication.

Enochian is an angelic language, with its own script. The beginnings of this language commence with Trithemius's "Steganographia" The script found therein does not resemble at all known Latin, Greek, or Hebrew orthographic system. The closest equivalents seem to be Ethiopian and Arabic for various and quite unrelated textual reasons.

The scholarship of this language, which would continue primarily with the work of John Dee ("THE COMPLETE ENOCHIAN DICTIONARY A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed By Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley, Donald C", "
True AND Faithful Relation of What Passed for Many Years Between Dr. John Dee AND Some Spirits (1659) Dee, John.") In more recent times, the tradition has been taken up by one Aleister Crowley ("Book of Lies, The
Crowley, Aleister" "The Equinox, Vol. III, No. 1 Crowley, Aleister", "The Book of Thoth: A Short Essay on the Tarot of the Egyptians Being the Equinx Volume III No. V Crowley, Aleister ").

The content of this strange language throughout its morphological and academic history becomes quite interesting in its treatment by John Dee and is best illuminated by wikipedia:

"Most of the vocabulary consists of names of angels derived from four acrostic tablets. Besides that, there are fewer than a thousand attested words, which appear in nineteen symbolic poems, called "keys"."

Obviously folks Maynard wasn't talking about a janitor’s ring or the black button thingy you used to get into your Honda. We observe the connection between both lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned musically, but it becomes clearer in its interconnection with this clue, as well as few others left in their recent 'bibliography' and their previous album.

Those astute fans will remember then entry in Kabir's FAQ about the last track of the album Faaip de Oiad:

The talking is from a radio call-in show (Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell). It is one of the classic moments from that show, during which the caller claims to be a former Area 51 employee, and that the military was out to get him. Oddly enough, the satellite which carried that show suddenly died (losing the feed to some fifty stations) during the broadcast. The caller later admitted that the story was a hoax."

A search of another book on their list entitled THE AZOETIA yields only an only French edition which descriptions (according to abebooks.com) :
"histoire ou vie tirée des monumens anecdotes de l'ancienne Egypte. Traduite d'un manuscrit grec"

which translates :" story or life taken from anecdotal monuments of ancient Egypt. Translated from a Greek manuscript."

The Rosetta stone was the archaeological find which allowed for the translations of Egyptian hieroglyphs. It was veritable key for decipher a previous unknown language.

In Lateralus they associate the language of Angels (Enochian) with extraterrestrial encounters. The angels/aliens relation resonates through lots keys/Rosetta stoned, if not the whole album. The song seems to about someone has an alien encounter, but doesn't remember the transcendent and groundbreaking details, due to or simply while on acid. The keys, the 'Rosetta stone' of the Enochian language, were lost, not recorded or remembered, because of the effects of LSD. Therefore we blame Hoffman, the chemical synthesizer of LSD, for loss of the 'keys'. The title of Rosetta Stoned displays almost the same articulation. Rosetta Stoned as a song appearing as the source of translation between two things (in this case aliens/angels and humans, in the case of the real Rosetta Stone Greek and Egyptian) which then becomes obfuscated by intoxication. The song Rosetta Stoned serves as Rosetta stone in itself through its narrative. It solidifies, like Faaip de Oiad, Tools emphasis on the connection between Angels and Aliens. We can translate the ancient phenomenon into modern-day perspective, and vice-versa.

Tool attempts to associate ancient encounters and accounts of angels with extraterrestrials. We dare say that Tool even confuses the two in order to display their sameness. This fact sheds new light on the mention of angels in both Vicarious and Right in Two. The detached perspective of Right in Two had been determined from an Angelic perspective. Even the idea of his mother ascending to heaven and becoming an angel (by gaining her wings) connects, however in a way I am not yet certain. Per

Angels and Extraterrestrials? The real question is if they are just tooling around with us??? Or does this point to a higher meaning, above the esoteric intertextuality? A need within humanity for a metaphysically undisclosed exterior? Or simply something higher? Or… ?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
<wood>
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM

WOW, I need a joint.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Meaning of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned

WOW, I need a joint.
05-10-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <wood>
WOW, I need a joint.
XD
Old 05-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by <wood>
WOW, I need a joint.
XD
Drunken
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM

Wow. That actually makes a lot of sense. But I don't know if you're over-anylizing or if that's exactly what the song's about. Tool have always said that their songs often get blown out of proportion, but what you said does fit. So, I don't know.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 974

Wow. That actually makes a lot of sense. But I don't know if you're over-anylizing or if that's exactly what the song's about. Tool have always said that their songs often get blown out of proportion, but what you said does fit. So, I don't know.
AMF
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Humans vs. Angels (extraterrestrials).....duality once again folks:D
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Humans vs. Angels (extraterrestrials).....duality once again folks:D
NoD
05-10-2006, 03:31 PM

So what have I done,
to be son to an alien
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239

So what have I done,
to be son to an alien
AMF
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD
So what have I done,
to be son to an alien
Hahaha. Yeah, the whole agenl/alien thing is taken out of context.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD
So what have I done,
to be son to an alien
Hahaha. Yeah, the whole agenl/alien thing is taken out of context.
Psilo
05-10-2006, 03:37 PM

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-10-2006, 04:01 PM

sometimes you peopple make me laugh so hard my head hurts :)
Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

05-10-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbynoe
It hurts my head from reading the first few paragraphs, it makes me laugh to that you actually read all of that.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbynoe
It hurts my head from reading the first few paragraphs, it makes me laugh to that you actually read all of that.
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
05-10-2006, 04:57 PM

meh, i'll go against the grain and state I thought that was an excellent post.. although nothing new for me (no offence), but none the less, you've pretty much nailed Rosetta stoned, now go back to previous tool cd's and follow the connections. :D

~see you on the other side~
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

meh, i'll go against the grain and state I thought that was an excellent post.. although nothing new for me (no offence), but none the less, you've pretty much nailed Rosetta stoned, now go back to previous tool cd's and follow the connections. :D

~see you on the other side~
05-10-2006, 05:11 PM

The original poster has hit the mark on a great deal of his post, and for those who think the theory is overreaching, that's the point of thier music and the whole reason to be an artist. To push the boundaries of our collective awareness, evolve through ideas.

I've been on and reading this forum since 02/03 {dif name} and i have read some brilliant posts. Some of them seem far fetched , but nothing is sacred in the land of theory , and the push of the envelope of ideas ..Guys like this and his post are what makes this place so great keep it up 'ultrakow'.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 41

The original poster has hit the mark on a great deal of his post, and for those who think the theory is overreaching, that's the point of thier music and the whole reason to be an artist. To push the boundaries of our collective awareness, evolve through ideas.

I've been on and reading this forum since 02/03 {dif name} and i have read some brilliant posts. Some of them seem far fetched , but nothing is sacred in the land of theory , and the push of the envelope of ideas ..Guys like this and his post are what makes this place so great keep it up 'ultrakow'.
Flooded
05-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakow

actually he took this part from the vanilla circus interpretation .PDF book

the exact words...
Old 05-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

actually he took this part from the vanilla circus interpretation .PDF book

the exact words...
Agent_Of_Chaos
05-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Your theory of the track titles and meanings of Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned do actually make sense...well written.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Your theory of the track titles and meanings of Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned do actually make sense...well written.
obwah's Avatar obwah
05-10-2006, 06:15 PM

Where do you people find the time to come up with this stuff???

Am I the only being living in a world with 24-hour days or what?

Even so, it's an interesting point, and most of it seems to fit. Not bad work at all...
Kindle our hope, and let our grief give way to joy.
31°58' 152°35' = Bliss
Old 05-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Practising Procrastination (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1298

Where do you people find the time to come up with this stuff???

Am I the only being living in a world with 24-hour days or what?

Even so, it's an interesting point, and most of it seems to fit. Not bad work at all...
Kindle our hope, and let our grief give way to joy.
31°58' 152°35' = Bliss
Setve's Avatar Setve
05-10-2006, 06:23 PM

nice, one thing though, when people die (maynard's mother), they don't become angels when they go to heaven. the angels were created by God to be his servants. when we die and go to heaven we become saints.
its a very common mistake and i just wanted to sound smart so there.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
Evtes

Bincount™: 4712

nice, one thing though, when people die (maynard's mother), they don't become angels when they go to heaven. the angels were created by God to be his servants. when we die and go to heaven we become saints.
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Wow Man I think You Finnally Opened Your Third Eye.....jks.....nice post though
Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Wow Man I think You Finnally Opened Your Third Eye.....jks.....nice post though
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkFunk
i did...but what made me laugh was

So what have I done,
to be son to an alien...

that..just did again :)
Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkFunk
i did...but what made me laugh was

So what have I done,
to be son to an alien...

that..just did again :)
05-10-2006, 06:44 PM

go to 1000-days.com, click on the lyrics part, then find the ones to rosetta stoned....they are quite accurate and depict a possible event of sorts
Old 05-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

go to 1000-days.com, click on the lyrics part, then find the ones to rosetta stoned....they are quite accurate and depict a possible event of sorts
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I really hate long threads like this one.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

I really hate long threads like this one.
05-10-2006, 06:49 PM

Also, perhaps it wasn't somebody's experience, but it was Maynard himself who had the experience
Old 05-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

Also, perhaps it wasn't somebody's experience, but it was Maynard himself who had the experience
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
05-10-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setve
Really? ..uhm, mind if I ask how you KNOW this?

if you know it to be fact, can you take a picture or mini movie of this happening..

hell, while you're at it can you take a picture of jesus, bigfoot, and the WMD's in Iraq?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #22
seeyouauntie

Quote:

if you know it to be fact, can you take a picture or mini movie of this happening..

hell, while you're at it can you take a picture of jesus, bigfoot, and the WMD's in Iraq?
05-10-2006, 10:12 PM

i dont know if its just me but the very first time i heard this song/album i was pissed off at how gay tool turned out(not surprising) but anyways i couldnt understand the words he was saying in the beggining about the story but i only heard the distorted vowels/consonants and such (dont really know how to describe it but his new gay singing has a tendancy to slurr words into each other and only actually pronounce/enunciate/articulate certain parts of each word. anyways what i heard him singing at the time turned out to be completly different then what the actual lyrics were. havent been able to hear it since; now that i know what is really being said. anyways in all dead seriousness maybe its just me but i swear to god that what i heard was his story of how he was bumfucked in highschool. i seriously think that this is the secret of rosetta stoned. maybe various uppers could have been slowly used to build up his accociation to homosexuality (being high/turned on only around guys) sometimes simplier things are the answer. haha anyways my (not so) crazy theory. the same thing as the seeing rossetta stoned in that other word (cant remember now too tired) would be that you only see it once the first time (lost keys).
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

i dont know if its just me but the very first time i heard this song/album i was pissed off at how gay tool turned out(not surprising) but anyways i couldnt understand the words he was saying in the beggining about the story but i only heard the distorted vowels/consonants and such (dont really know how to describe it but his new gay singing has a tendancy to slurr words into each other and only actually pronounce/enunciate/articulate certain parts of each word. anyways what i heard him singing at the time turned out to be completly different then what the actual lyrics were. havent been able to hear it since; now that i know what is really being said. anyways in all dead seriousness maybe its just me but i swear to god that what i heard was his story of how he was bumfucked in highschool. i seriously think that this is the secret of rosetta stoned. maybe various uppers could have been slowly used to build up his accociation to homosexuality (being high/turned on only around guys) sometimes simplier things are the answer. haha anyways my (not so) crazy theory. the same thing as the seeing rossetta stoned in that other word (cant remember now too tired) would be that you only see it once the first time (lost keys).
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
05-10-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Handles

i concur.
and to threadstarter - thanks for your thoughts, something to think about; a whole lot better than the standard "omg ive got it its about some dude on some sort of drug trip who shat himself" fare.
also people should, rather than post only to say they hate long threads, just not bother. there's plenty of short empty ideas floating around here for you to contribute to. at least this kinda thing gives me something to think about for a minute.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:

i concur.
and to threadstarter - thanks for your thoughts, something to think about; a whole lot better than the standard "omg ive got it its about some dude on some sort of drug trip who shat himself" fare.
also people should, rather than post only to say they hate long threads, just not bother. there's plenty of short empty ideas floating around here for you to contribute to. at least this kinda thing gives me something to think about for a minute.
05-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negpos
hahaha, this is awesome. go swallow some dick, seriously, you'll be a whole lot less stressed
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
hahaha, this is awesome. go swallow some dick, seriously, you'll be a whole lot less stressed
05-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erazorhead

too many werds.. cliff notes please?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #26
seeyouauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erazorhead

too many werds.. cliff notes please?
05-11-2006, 01:12 AM

I think the answer to Rosetta Stoned would be the song before it, or specifically BLAME HOFFMAN. I forgot my pen (Blame Hoffman) goddam shit the bed (Blame Hoffman) I can't remember what they said (Blame Hoffman). Basically its that motherfuckers fault everytime we think of something on psychedelic drugs like acid, I know I have, its his fault I've done half the shit I've done, but alot of it was good....hhmmmm.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

I think the answer to Rosetta Stoned would be the song before it, or specifically BLAME HOFFMAN. I forgot my pen (Blame Hoffman) goddam shit the bed (Blame Hoffman) I can't remember what they said (Blame Hoffman). Basically its that motherfuckers fault everytime we think of something on psychedelic drugs like acid, I know I have, its his fault I've done half the shit I've done, but alot of it was good....hhmmmm.
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Wow. You just lost your posting privlages... Are we talkin about the same band?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #28

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Wow. You just lost your posting privlages... Are we talkin about the same band?
Goodwin
05-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yep, thats true. Or what the bible states. We don't become angels and I think Maynard knew this too. But he was saying do to her great dedication and her strong faith she deserves to be an angel. For some reason the number strikes me as 101 angels. I don't think thats right. I'd have to look it up in which I'm to lazy to do right now.

GREAT POST BY THE WYA MAN. GOOD JOB. I'm lookin at this song in a whole new way.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #29

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Yep, thats true. Or what the bible states. We don't become angels and I think Maynard knew this too. But he was saying do to her great dedication and her strong faith she deserves to be an angel. For some reason the number strikes me as 101 angels. I don't think thats right. I'd have to look it up in which I'm to lazy to do right now.

GREAT POST BY THE WYA MAN. GOOD JOB. I'm lookin at this song in a whole new way.
teonanacatl's Avatar teonanacatl
05-12-2006, 05:54 PM

wow excellent post. i came here looking for others opinions on this particular song as i was starting to pick up on a few clues that were suggesting this song had a lot more to it than what appeared on the surface; glad i did! forgive me if any of this has been said and dismissed already

at first i thought it may have simply been a tribute to Hofmann, since it was his 100th birthday this year. but the more i listened to it the more i picked up on the themes that relate back to tool's previous works (aliens and angels included), and then started to sense this same kind of feeling with the music, almost like the styles were reverting back to "previous states" of the band's past.

that may have had something to do with the 'erb i was smoking, but the next thing i noticed when putting the disc in my computer was the track time, 11:11. i doubt it is just a coincidence, we all know how deliberate these guys are when they work. for those that haven't heard of the idea, 11:11 (or 11 or 1,111) is quite often refered to in numerology and sacred geometry, being seen as a numerical representation of reality, balance, the double helix, human encoding, etc. it is also believed that 11:11 is is a pre-encoded trigger placed into our cellular memory banks prior to our descent into matter, and that when one looks at this number it triggers the subconcious mind into activity.

these clues (to me, anyway) seem to fit very cohesively with the song titles and lyrics and also this alien/angel theme. so...how deep does this song go? perhaps it is only constrained by the same bounds as the psychedelic experience is ;) perhaps the song is about getting the cosmic joke, learning that your spiritual essence is all that is real and to laugh at reality. and perhaps tool are playing their very own 'cosmic joke' by alluding to some higher mystery needing to be decoded, when all that really matters in the music? either way, it's feel right to just BE part of the mystery...

anyway, thanks for the extra insight, hope more people have something to add.

Last edited by teonanacatl; 05-12-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

wow excellent post. i came here looking for others opinions on this particular song as i was starting to pick up on a few clues that were suggesting this song had a lot more to it than what appeared on the surface; glad i did! forgive me if any of this has been said and dismissed already

at first i thought it may have simply been a tribute to Hofmann, since it was his 100th birthday this year. but the more i listened to it the more i picked up on the themes that relate back to tool's previous works (aliens and angels included), and then started to sense this same kind of feeling with the music, almost like the styles were reverting back to "previous states" of the band's past.

that may have had something to do with the 'erb i was smoking, but the next thing i noticed when putting the disc in my computer was the track time, 11:11. i doubt it is just a coincidence, we all know how deliberate these guys are when they work. for those that haven't heard of the idea, 11:11 (or 11 or 1,111) is quite often refered to in numerology and sacred geometry, being seen as a numerical representation of reality, balance, the double helix, human encoding, etc. it is also believed that 11:11 is is a pre-encoded trigger placed into our cellular memory banks prior to our descent into matter, and that when one looks at this number it triggers the subconcious mind into activity.

these clues (to me, anyway) seem to fit very cohesively with the song titles and lyrics and also this alien/angel theme. so...how deep does this song go? perhaps it is only constrained by the same bounds as the psychedelic experience is ;) perhaps the song is about getting the cosmic joke, learning that your spiritual essence is all that is real and to laugh at reality. and perhaps tool are playing their very own 'cosmic joke' by alluding to some higher mystery needing to be decoded, when all that really matters in the music? either way, it's feel right to just BE part of the mystery...

anyway, thanks for the extra insight, hope more people have something to add.

Last edited by teonanacatl; 05-12-2006 at 07:08 PM..
MisterMudd's Avatar MisterMudd
05-12-2006, 07:03 PM

You guys should also google "THE BOOK OF ENOCH". The Book Of Enoch was one of the original manuscripts contained in "The Dead Sea Scrolls" which were later included in the "Holy Bible". However, the "Book of Enoch" was not included for some apparently unknown reason.

I only post this for etymology purposes, since "Enochian" stems from "Enoch".

Just a little food for thought.

Last edited by MisterMudd; 05-12-2006 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Incomplete
Old 05-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #31
Just Some Dude (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1330

You guys should also google "THE BOOK OF ENOCH". The Book Of Enoch was one of the original manuscripts contained in "The Dead Sea Scrolls" which were later included in the "Holy Bible". However, the "Book of Enoch" was not included for some apparently unknown reason.

I only post this for etymology purposes, since "Enochian" stems from "Enoch".

Just a little food for thought.

Last edited by MisterMudd; 05-12-2006 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Incomplete
Setve's Avatar Setve
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:

because i took a theology class and it was taught to me by a theology major.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #32
Evtes

Bincount™: 4712

Quote:

because i took a theology class and it was taught to me by a theology major.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply