Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
shifty50fs
01-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
to call the chorus 7/4 . . . that's just plain stupid

EDIT: Oh, wait. Are you the nut who suggested it was in sev -- you are? Oh, that's a shame. Still, you're cool. I guess.
Dude, my post contains a break down of all the complex meters in the song. The chorus is 28 beats. The phrasing does not suggest 4 or 7 or 5. At best it is several measures of 3 followed by a 4. To help people count the phrases in an accurate way I called it 12+7+9/8. So however you phrase it, fine, but I thought it would be easiest for the people who wanted to count the song out if I split it up in that way.

Sorry if that made me come across as a 'nut,' but if you count the song along with my explanation, you'll find it to be accurate and very natural feeling, unlike any attempts to simplify the song or even individual parts of the song into a single complex meter.

Last edited by shifty50fs; 01-17-2007 at 04:44 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: Time Signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
to call the chorus 7/4 . . . that's just plain stupid

EDIT: Oh, wait. Are you the nut who suggested it was in sev -- you are? Oh, that's a shame. Still, you're cool. I guess.
Dude, my post contains a break down of all the complex meters in the song. The chorus is 28 beats. The phrasing does not suggest 4 or 7 or 5. At best it is several measures of 3 followed by a 4. To help people count the phrases in an accurate way I called it 12+7+9/8. So however you phrase it, fine, but I thought it would be easiest for the people who wanted to count the song out if I split it up in that way.

Sorry if that made me come across as a 'nut,' but if you count the song along with my explanation, you'll find it to be accurate and very natural feeling, unlike any attempts to simplify the song or even individual parts of the song into a single complex meter.

Last edited by shifty50fs; 01-17-2007 at 04:44 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
shifty50fs
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
You'd think people so knowledgeable about music would recognize that meter is a fairly abstract concept which serves the sole purpose of helping multiple performers think about the phrasing in the same way and can thus be described in a number of different, but equally accurate ways. You can even make a very good argument that, in practice, you only have meters of 2 and 3.

In fact, it's obvious to me that this is why a math teacher would assign this type of problem for fun to begin with, and IMO the more sure you are about the meter of a song like this, the more you're kind of an idiot.
Totally agree. I just aimed to help everyone count along with the song by listing the ways I phrase it.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #42

Quote:
You'd think people so knowledgeable about music would recognize that meter is a fairly abstract concept which serves the sole purpose of helping multiple performers think about the phrasing in the same way and can thus be described in a number of different, but equally accurate ways. You can even make a very good argument that, in practice, you only have meters of 2 and 3.

In fact, it's obvious to me that this is why a math teacher would assign this type of problem for fun to begin with, and IMO the more sure you are about the meter of a song like this, the more you're kind of an idiot.
Totally agree. I just aimed to help everyone count along with the song by listing the ways I phrase it.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
01-18-2007, 08:37 PM

I'm sorry, but don't post an answer to this guys question if you can't count/don't understand time signiatures.

Okay .... just to keep the whole thing at a tempo of around 115 beats per minute and the quarter note at 1 beat... (basically keeping the demoninator at 4) ...

After the intro, the song could be noted to be in 5/4 for 18 measures

there are 2 measures of 6/4 during "That's my kind of story. It's no fun till someone dies."

then it goes back to 5/4 for 14 measures

then at "Hands to the sky cryin'" it is 6/4 for one measure

then 5/4 for one measure (Why oh why)

Chorus = 6/4 then 4/4 twice ... 6/4 then 4/4 twice again. Then 6/4 one last time "You all need it too don't...

Lie" - back to 5/4 for 11 measures

Chorus 6/4 with 2 measures of 4/4. 6/4 with 2 measures of 4/4 again. Then one measure of 6/4 (You all feel the same so..)

Back to 5/4 again for 32 measures (starting with "why can't we just admit it" and ending with the last "La la la la la la la lie")

I'll leave the rest up to you,.. or post it later.

Count along. This is correct.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #43
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

I'm sorry, but don't post an answer to this guys question if you can't count/don't understand time signiatures.

Okay .... just to keep the whole thing at a tempo of around 115 beats per minute and the quarter note at 1 beat... (basically keeping the demoninator at 4) ...

After the intro, the song could be noted to be in 5/4 for 18 measures

there are 2 measures of 6/4 during "That's my kind of story. It's no fun till someone dies."

then it goes back to 5/4 for 14 measures

then at "Hands to the sky cryin'" it is 6/4 for one measure

then 5/4 for one measure (Why oh why)

Chorus = 6/4 then 4/4 twice ... 6/4 then 4/4 twice again. Then 6/4 one last time "You all need it too don't...

Lie" - back to 5/4 for 11 measures

Chorus 6/4 with 2 measures of 4/4. 6/4 with 2 measures of 4/4 again. Then one measure of 6/4 (You all feel the same so..)

Back to 5/4 again for 32 measures (starting with "why can't we just admit it" and ending with the last "La la la la la la la lie")

I'll leave the rest up to you,.. or post it later.

Count along. This is correct.
01-20-2007, 12:38 AM

This is the biggest convention of music theory n00bery I have ever seen.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #44
On Probation

Bincount™: 1

BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
01-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSecondSun View Post
Well enlighten us instead of making useless comments.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 01-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSecondSun View Post
Well enlighten us instead of making useless comments.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Alex in Chains's Avatar Alex in Chains
01-28-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Agreed. There is a point, however, beyond which the phrasing becomes too confusing to be practical. Try counting this song in 7 or 9 or 43. That's a maddening experience. For practical purposes, I think people can agree on at least a vague time signature (for instance, to call the intro 5 with no denominator could mean 5/4, 5/8, 10/4, 10/8, etc.), and while it's a pretty subjective concept, there's reasonable and then there's unreasonable.

As for only having meters of 2 and 3, well, that's how I count pretty much everything (sometimes I'll use 4, too) as in 1-2-3 1-2-3 . . . or 1-2-3 2-2-3, etc. Almost everything can be phrased that way. But if you look at repetition, the song clearly begins in some form of 5 or 10. There's really no way around that.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 01-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #46
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Quote:
Agreed. There is a point, however, beyond which the phrasing becomes too confusing to be practical. Try counting this song in 7 or 9 or 43. That's a maddening experience. For practical purposes, I think people can agree on at least a vague time signature (for instance, to call the intro 5 with no denominator could mean 5/4, 5/8, 10/4, 10/8, etc.), and while it's a pretty subjective concept, there's reasonable and then there's unreasonable.

As for only having meters of 2 and 3, well, that's how I count pretty much everything (sometimes I'll use 4, too) as in 1-2-3 1-2-3 . . . or 1-2-3 2-2-3, etc. Almost everything can be phrased that way. But if you look at repetition, the song clearly begins in some form of 5 or 10. There's really no way around that.
<ru5ty> wat
๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkajdcjc View Post
Who gives a fuck what the time signatures are? Just listen to the song and repeat what happens, fuck time signatures.
Wow, this has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. Who gives a fuck? Maybe a musician trying to learn what the band did to create a certain groove? LoL

WATCH OUT: You're dead.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkajdcjc View Post
Who gives a fuck what the time signatures are? Just listen to the song and repeat what happens, fuck time signatures.
Wow, this has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. Who gives a fuck? Maybe a musician trying to learn what the band did to create a certain groove? LoL

WATCH OUT: You're dead.
62827's Avatar 62827
04-28-2011, 01:13 PM

The entire song is played in 5/4, sorry this is being posted 5 years after the fact but I can play this song on the bass and it is in 5/4 throughout the entire song... just count 5 beats per measure and you'll see that this is indeed valid.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #48

The entire song is played in 5/4, sorry this is being posted 5 years after the fact but I can play this song on the bass and it is in 5/4 throughout the entire song... just count 5 beats per measure and you'll see that this is indeed valid.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply