Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
jack_flash's Avatar jack_flash
05-08-2006, 07:57 PM

Could Vicarious possibly be about the rest of the album, and what you are about to witness/experience when listening to it. I mean, the songs basically about how we get our enjoyment out of human suffering, out of other people's pain. Yet the overall meaning of the album, or the main crux of the subject matter is maynard's relationship with his mother who suffered for the 10 000 days before she finally died. So Vicarious is kinda like Maynard's little preamble to the actual album, him saying 'go ahead and listen, but make sure you realise what you are listening to and double check your reasons for enjoying it'. It's like every copy of this album sold is just another person 'feeding on tragedy'. Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
red right hand (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 414
vicarious meaning

Could Vicarious possibly be about the rest of the album, and what you are about to witness/experience when listening to it. I mean, the songs basically about how we get our enjoyment out of human suffering, out of other people's pain. Yet the overall meaning of the album, or the main crux of the subject matter is maynard's relationship with his mother who suffered for the 10 000 days before she finally died. So Vicarious is kinda like Maynard's little preamble to the actual album, him saying 'go ahead and listen, but make sure you realise what you are listening to and double check your reasons for enjoying it'. It's like every copy of this album sold is just another person 'feeding on tragedy'. Just a thought.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mulhollanddriven
05-08-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_flash

Very interesting...hadn't even really considered that..
Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: vicarious meaning

Quote:

Very interesting...hadn't even really considered that..
SPQR anTMan's Avatar SPQR anTMan
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM

yeah really interesting good post
Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

yeah really interesting good post
Doubt's Avatar Doubt
05-08-2006, 11:21 PM

I think that's a good possibility. I never really thought of it that way.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think that's a good possibility. I never really thought of it that way.
05-08-2006, 11:31 PM

or could we just be considered curious observers albeit aware of possible underlying motivations?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

or could we just be considered curious observers albeit aware of possible underlying motivations?
jack_flash's Avatar jack_flash
05-09-2006, 03:53 AM

Well yeah it also might explain why Vicarious sounds kinda seperate from the rest of the album as well. I know some people are puttin it down to the fact that it was released before the rest of the album came out but i dunno, it's still got its own feel, both musically and lyrically. Though neuropathy might also have a point as well haha
Old 05-09-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
red right hand (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 414

Well yeah it also might explain why Vicarious sounds kinda seperate from the rest of the album as well. I know some people are puttin it down to the fact that it was released before the rest of the album came out but i dunno, it's still got its own feel, both musically and lyrically. Though neuropathy might also have a point as well haha
05-09-2006, 02:42 PM

Nice post, i never really thought of that
Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Nice post, i never really thought of that
SynapticSatisfaction
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Hmmm....

Perhaps it could just simply be the concept of watching someone(s) suffer and feeling helpless.

On the larger scale, we're pretty helpless as to what the U.S. government is doing for its own individual and corporate gains. For those of us that do feel helpless, we're pretty fucking angry too. There's a range of emotions that go along with the situation. Helpless, angry, empathetic, apathetic, anxious, etc. We're having decisions made for us and there's nothing we can do to stop it. We're just bystanders, but are tied by a rope to this raging car that is heading towards a ravine at full speed.

I suppose very similar to a more personal situation...Like watching someone you care about go through a stroke and the aftermath of it. You can't detach yourself from the situation entirely, although I'm sure most would try their best.

I don't know. Shooting in the dark here. Just a thought.

I'm of the belief that everything is or can be related. You can zoom in to the most minute detail or you can zoom out...... like those posters where there's one of yoda and the big yoda is made up of little snapshots of scenes in Star Wars. Sometimes when you step back and zoom out, you can see the little events and situations that make up an entire picture....then you can zoom out more and see how that picture is just a scene in another larger picture.....

Blah, anything can be related if you use the right words and way of thinking. It's fun.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Hmmm....

Perhaps it could just simply be the concept of watching someone(s) suffer and feeling helpless.

On the larger scale, we're pretty helpless as to what the U.S. government is doing for its own individual and corporate gains. For those of us that do feel helpless, we're pretty fucking angry too. There's a range of emotions that go along with the situation. Helpless, angry, empathetic, apathetic, anxious, etc. We're having decisions made for us and there's nothing we can do to stop it. We're just bystanders, but are tied by a rope to this raging car that is heading towards a ravine at full speed.

I suppose very similar to a more personal situation...Like watching someone you care about go through a stroke and the aftermath of it. You can't detach yourself from the situation entirely, although I'm sure most would try their best.

I don't know. Shooting in the dark here. Just a thought.

I'm of the belief that everything is or can be related. You can zoom in to the most minute detail or you can zoom out...... like those posters where there's one of yoda and the big yoda is made up of little snapshots of scenes in Star Wars. Sometimes when you step back and zoom out, you can see the little events and situations that make up an entire picture....then you can zoom out more and see how that picture is just a scene in another larger picture.....

Blah, anything can be related if you use the right words and way of thinking. It's fun.
Marshalclick
05-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Opening your mind to accept the rest of the album. Crack the skull and pour it in...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Opening your mind to accept the rest of the album. Crack the skull and pour it in...
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:

You know what i had that same thort just yesterday as i was listening to the album and it just occured to me, right on brother!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Quote:

You know what i had that same thort just yesterday as i was listening to the album and it just occured to me, right on brother!
05-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Hell yeah...

Great idea, and something I'll keep in mind while listening to the rest of the album.

Thanks.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 05-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Hell yeah...

Great idea, and something I'll keep in mind while listening to the rest of the album.

Thanks.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
MisterMudd's Avatar MisterMudd
05-23-2006, 10:53 PM

Even if this is not the original motive for the writing of the lyrics, I definitely see that this could be why this track ended up as the first track on the album.

I like the hypothesis. It makes sense.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Just Some Dude (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1330

Even if this is not the original motive for the writing of the lyrics, I definitely see that this could be why this track ended up as the first track on the album.

I like the hypothesis. It makes sense.
win's Avatar win
05-28-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
no

almost the entire album is about analyzing human suffering. I don't think talking or emoting about a certain subject is the same as glorifying it.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
no

almost the entire album is about analyzing human suffering. I don't think talking or emoting about a certain subject is the same as glorifying it.
Lie Cheat And Steal
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM

I don't believe in your opinion... for i have my own... but I do have to say I'm glad to see you analyzing the songs and deciphering your own opinion out of it. For this is what Tool means... It is about opening up your eyes and getting your own opinion out of their music...
Old 05-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

I don't believe in your opinion... for i have my own... but I do have to say I'm glad to see you analyzing the songs and deciphering your own opinion out of it. For this is what Tool means... It is about opening up your eyes and getting your own opinion out of their music...
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
05-30-2006, 12:00 AM

Fair enough idea. Though i disagree. Every song on the album is about suffering, or about how we deal with it or cause it, but i dont think any but wings pt I & II are about judith. I think the messages and metaphors in vicarious can be taken at face value.
I can really see tool spending time with song that explains other songs, because they usually have too much to say to fit on an album, and this'd be a bit of a waste imo
Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Fair enough idea. Though i disagree. Every song on the album is about suffering, or about how we deal with it or cause it, but i dont think any but wings pt I & II are about judith. I think the messages and metaphors in vicarious can be taken at face value.
I can really see tool spending time with song that explains other songs, because they usually have too much to say to fit on an album, and this'd be a bit of a waste imo
Shinji's Avatar Shinji
09-29-2007, 12:48 AM

About a general theme of the album, I have a feeling of mourning.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

About a general theme of the album, I have a feeling of mourning.
09-29-2007, 02:05 AM

If we're all "feeding on tragedy", then what do you call the person serving it up?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 23

If we're all "feeding on tragedy", then what do you call the person serving it up?
09-29-2007, 09:41 AM

A dealer.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

A dealer.
02-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post
Every song on the album is about suffering, or about how we deal with it or cause it imo
How do you explain Rosetta Stoned? The Pot? Those aren't about suffering. And you said that you don't think that any song except Wings for Marie pt 1 and 2 are about Judith, but what about Jambi?

Last edited by GiselleLFreude; 02-04-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Old 02-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosdasa View Post
Every song on the album is about suffering, or about how we deal with it or cause it imo
How do you explain Rosetta Stoned? The Pot? Those aren't about suffering. And you said that you don't think that any song except Wings for Marie pt 1 and 2 are about Judith, but what about Jambi?

Last edited by GiselleLFreude; 02-04-2015 at 11:56 PM..
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
02-05-2015, 01:16 AM

you're challenging a thought from 05-30-2006, 04:00 AM...
Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 AM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

you're challenging a thought from 05-30-2006, 04:00 AM...
02-05-2015, 01:19 AM

it is now 02-05-2015, 04:20 AM
Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 AM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

it is now 02-05-2015, 04:20 AM
02-05-2015, 05:26 AM

I can't wait to go back in time and prove all of you wrong! muahahahaha
Old 02-05-2015, 05:26 AM   #22
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

I can't wait to go back in time and prove all of you wrong! muahahahaha
AmyArtist's Avatar AmyArtist
02-14-2015, 06:22 AM

I just interperet "vicarious" literally... as in, dual. We are vicariously experiencing what its like to create beautiful music about what it's like to vicariously watch people who live vicariously... it's an endless f*cking cycle.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

I just interperet "vicarious" literally... as in, dual. We are vicariously experiencing what its like to create beautiful music about what it's like to vicariously watch people who live vicariously... it's an endless f*cking cycle.
antidote's Avatar antidote
02-22-2015, 12:42 AM

Like when you put a mirror in front of a mirror: endless reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections...
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

Like when you put a mirror in front of a mirror: endless reflections of reflections of reflections of reflections...
03-08-2015, 12:11 PM

The album jumps around too much for vicarious to be so deeply related to the rest of it. It's just the opener and flows into Jambi really well. Lyrics are separate from the music. Meaning is subjective. It's not a concept album, but a concepts album.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #25
Banned.

The album jumps around too much for vicarious to be so deeply related to the rest of it. It's just the opener and flows into Jambi really well. Lyrics are separate from the music. Meaning is subjective. It's not a concept album, but a concepts album.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply