Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
Towely's Avatar Towely
07-25-2011, 12:16 AM

I have a new respect for this song now that I know that it was inspired by Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" in the Entertainment, Media, and the Pain Body section in Chapter 6: Breaking Free. I am not going to type it out and I can't copy and paste. This book was released a year before 10,000 Days. Maynard HAD to have read it. It's worded very similarly to Vicarious, talks about the same thing, and even has the word "vicariously" in the most significant paragraph of the section. Personally, no offense to Maynard or other songwriters, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote Vicarious directly from this book, paraphrasing it and rewording it slightly. Obviously, he adds an artistic touch and elaborates on this section in the book. If you read Eckhart Tolle, it's amazing how much Tool's lyrics correlate to his books. Either Maynard has read them, or this is PROOF of the collective unconscious. I say both. Yes, Tolle's ideas aren't 100% original, but his wording syncs up so naturally with a lot of Tool songs, starting with Lateralus. This is just the most blatant example.
We are eternal... without judgement...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 402
Inspired by Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth"

I have a new respect for this song now that I know that it was inspired by Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" in the Entertainment, Media, and the Pain Body section in Chapter 6: Breaking Free. I am not going to type it out and I can't copy and paste. This book was released a year before 10,000 Days. Maynard HAD to have read it. It's worded very similarly to Vicarious, talks about the same thing, and even has the word "vicariously" in the most significant paragraph of the section. Personally, no offense to Maynard or other songwriters, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote Vicarious directly from this book, paraphrasing it and rewording it slightly. Obviously, he adds an artistic touch and elaborates on this section in the book. If you read Eckhart Tolle, it's amazing how much Tool's lyrics correlate to his books. Either Maynard has read them, or this is PROOF of the collective unconscious. I say both. Yes, Tolle's ideas aren't 100% original, but his wording syncs up so naturally with a lot of Tool songs, starting with Lateralus. This is just the most blatant example.
We are eternal... without judgement...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tuck's Avatar tuck
10-01-2011, 08:46 PM

I'm bumping an older thread because I'm in the middle of reading the Power of Now and I had the exact same reaction. Maybe they just have a similar philosophy or maybe Maynard has read his work. Whatever the case, the connection is unmistakable. Parabol/Parabola could be the theme song for the Power of Now.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 133
Re: Inspired by Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth"

I'm bumping an older thread because I'm in the middle of reading the Power of Now and I had the exact same reaction. Maybe they just have a similar philosophy or maybe Maynard has read his work. Whatever the case, the connection is unmistakable. Parabol/Parabola could be the theme song for the Power of Now.
Lateralareallofus's Avatar Lateralareallofus
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM

How did you like that book? I'm wondering if its worth reading. It sounds like a pretty interesting read.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

How did you like that book? I'm wondering if its worth reading. It sounds like a pretty interesting read.
tuck's Avatar tuck
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
I've finished Power of Now and highly recommend it. I'm reading A New Earth currently and it is right in line with the Power of Now. I think Tolle gets it right and I also believe Maynard at least practices some of the teachings from Tolle (well, not really Tolle's teachings, these teachings have been around for a while, he just does an excellent job of presenting it in a fresh way).

It's all about ego deflation. The thinking mind is the ego and is the central problem with humans. We identify with that thinking mind as being the real "I" when it is not. That is a delusion the mind tricks all humans into believing to keep itself relevant. The REAL you is the observer or "watcher" of that mind. The thing that just exists, observes, feels wonder, etc. Become that watcher and you will find the real "I".

Parabol/Parabola, Lateralus, and Reflection are so in line with what Tolle teaches that it would be somewhat surprising to learn that Maynard had not read his work. I actually listen to these songs after I listen to Tolle to reinforce the teachings.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
I've finished Power of Now and highly recommend it. I'm reading A New Earth currently and it is right in line with the Power of Now. I think Tolle gets it right and I also believe Maynard at least practices some of the teachings from Tolle (well, not really Tolle's teachings, these teachings have been around for a while, he just does an excellent job of presenting it in a fresh way).

It's all about ego deflation. The thinking mind is the ego and is the central problem with humans. We identify with that thinking mind as being the real "I" when it is not. That is a delusion the mind tricks all humans into believing to keep itself relevant. The REAL you is the observer or "watcher" of that mind. The thing that just exists, observes, feels wonder, etc. Become that watcher and you will find the real "I".

Parabol/Parabola, Lateralus, and Reflection are so in line with what Tolle teaches that it would be somewhat surprising to learn that Maynard had not read his work. I actually listen to these songs after I listen to Tolle to reinforce the teachings.
chaosmosis
11-05-2011, 08:25 AM

i disagree. vicarious does not seem to show us more about the death of the ego than any other text in this vain and its narrative (the song) is intrinsically linked to our current obsession with the media and our drives towards violence as mimicked on TV.

vicarious seems to be a recourse to "The Gulf War Did Not Take Place", a book by Jean Baudrillard. this book looks at the virtuality of the violent event in the media as a rupture from reality and a mesmerising end of history. each individual is placed before an ever expanding simulacrum and ever decreasing reality, where the self can be shut down in response to this duality. virtual war and a satisfaction of the image "war" forces the collapse of agency. it is not real to us any more. desensitised we are satisfied by the TV drip feed telling us always - violence is out there! be afarid. we are in power and we will protect you!

to watch things die from a safe distance is then the ability to separate our self from this Virtiuality with vicarious clarity, clarity of the oligarchs tool- TV.

yes with the separation of self from ego this process is easier and the song uses that. but i think Tool have gone beyond questions of standing back from the ego, and the lyrics are intended to be a description of the faltered and imprisoned masses who are beguiled into needing this fix' on TV.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

i disagree. vicarious does not seem to show us more about the death of the ego than any other text in this vain and its narrative (the song) is intrinsically linked to our current obsession with the media and our drives towards violence as mimicked on TV.

vicarious seems to be a recourse to "The Gulf War Did Not Take Place", a book by Jean Baudrillard. this book looks at the virtuality of the violent event in the media as a rupture from reality and a mesmerising end of history. each individual is placed before an ever expanding simulacrum and ever decreasing reality, where the self can be shut down in response to this duality. virtual war and a satisfaction of the image "war" forces the collapse of agency. it is not real to us any more. desensitised we are satisfied by the TV drip feed telling us always - violence is out there! be afarid. we are in power and we will protect you!

to watch things die from a safe distance is then the ability to separate our self from this Virtiuality with vicarious clarity, clarity of the oligarchs tool- TV.

yes with the separation of self from ego this process is easier and the song uses that. but i think Tool have gone beyond questions of standing back from the ego, and the lyrics are intended to be a description of the faltered and imprisoned masses who are beguiled into needing this fix' on TV.
chaosmosis
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM

correction of previous post...

sorry i was thinking of baudrillards "The Intelligence of Evil or the Lucidity Pact" though both books are relevent.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

correction of previous post...

sorry i was thinking of baudrillards "The Intelligence of Evil or the Lucidity Pact" though both books are relevent.
11-05-2011, 11:05 AM

I like that. I always thought of them portraying vicarious in a negative light as in we are vicariously living our lives throught the tv. But now I see how it is meant both ways. Vicariously detaching oneself from the bullshit/propaganda gives a better view of reality. Separation is a major theme throughout this album and to watch something die from a good safe distance requires one to be detached and unemtionally hinged on that thing which is dying.
i also agree that Tool is talking less about serparating the ego, but more accepting the ego will always be a part of us and now it is time to separate from negativity and bad choices consciously. Bring the ego along because there is no more point in fighting him.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #7

I like that. I always thought of them portraying vicarious in a negative light as in we are vicariously living our lives throught the tv. But now I see how it is meant both ways. Vicariously detaching oneself from the bullshit/propaganda gives a better view of reality. Separation is a major theme throughout this album and to watch something die from a good safe distance requires one to be detached and unemtionally hinged on that thing which is dying.
i also agree that Tool is talking less about serparating the ego, but more accepting the ego will always be a part of us and now it is time to separate from negativity and bad choices consciously. Bring the ego along because there is no more point in fighting him.
chaosmosis
11-06-2011, 04:19 AM

i kind of agree. i think i need a healthy ego, for good decision making and self esteme. i wonder sometimes if the idea we have of the ego really fits with the eastern one?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

i kind of agree. i think i need a healthy ego, for good decision making and self esteme. i wonder sometimes if the idea we have of the ego really fits with the eastern one?
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
12-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

12-05-2011, 10:39 PM

far out.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #10

far out.
thegabrielconstruct
03-26-2013, 05:57 AM

Tolle's works definitely share an affinity with Tool, but I think there are plenty of other sources that one could draw these ideas from.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
Banned.

Tolle's works definitely share an affinity with Tool, but I think there are plenty of other sources that one could draw these ideas from.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply