opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #81

Bincount™: 391
Re: Parabola and Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Then you must be clinically insane
i was just wondering what is the difference being clinically insane and non-clinically?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumny View Post
looks like it might, i can't watch it now.

it is on google books:
http://www.google.com/books?id=7rJ5gI1LbXoC&printsec=frontcover
ah cool, actually i found the torrent :)
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #83
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.618 View Post
i was just wondering what is the difference being clinically insane and non-clinically?
My guess would be clinically insane means you've actually been diagnosed by PhD as insane
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #84
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

a MEDICAL PhD.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #85
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
a MEDICAL PhD.
Umm, yeahhh....thank you Captain Obvious
Old 06-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #86
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

uhm, insanity depends on how many people think a particular person is insane. well, what if all the doctors are fucking nuts? who judges the judgees @ the clinic?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bozzio View Post
uhm, insanity depends on how many people think a particular person is insane. well, what if all the doctors are fucking nuts? who judges the judgees @ the clinic?
McMurphy: I'm here to cooperate with you a hundred percent. A hundred percent. I'll be just right down the line with ya'. You watch.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #88
On Probation

Haha, boz's been watching Watchmen!

They look over us, we look over them
Old 06-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #89
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

exactly what i was thinking ^ one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #90
On Probation

Fuck praying, if you know what you want, then you'll know how to get it.
It may take illegal action, it may take several years to accomplish, but anything is within reach if you try hard enough.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #91
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
What you're describing sounds awfully like all that "The Secret" garbage.

Yeah, sorry if I don't believe that by praying to myself every night I'll get everything I'm praying for. Thought alone is never enough to accomplish anything. without action, thought is worthless.
I totally agree. Although, I think the whole point behind "The Secret" was more or less your mindset, not letting anything bring you down and always think positive and strive for your goals.

Thought alone will accomplish nothing. As I said earlier, if that were true I'd be sitting in the fucking Bahamas filthy rich right now.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #92
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I've seen the tapes. You are incorrect.

It is about wishing and hoping and praying to yourself and just watching the rewards roll in. They call it "the Law of Attraction".
I saw them too. I may be wrong but that's what I gathered from them anyway, I wasn't paying too much attention because they were really boring.

I still felt like their main point was that basically good things will come to you if you live with a positive mindset. Well...at least that theory makes a little more sense.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #93
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
What you're describing sounds awfully like all that "The Secret" garbage.

Yeah, sorry if I don't believe that by praying to myself every night I'll get everything I'm praying for. Thought alone is never enough to accomplish anything. without action, thought is worthless.
how thoughtful. you'll get it one day. or you wont. no big.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #94
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

it's gone right over your head. "something for nothing" is not the premise. apparently, that's what the premise appears to be to someone who hasn't actually done any research on the matter--but may or may not have read bits and pieces--and wants to sound like they know what they're talking about.

nice try, though.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #95
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
There is no way to get things accomplished without action on someone's part. Claims to the contrary are pure bunk.
apparently, you believe the laws of the universe dictate otherwise. that is false. obviously ignorant people will think "oh if i just think good thoughts it'll all work out"; which you have proven true by stating that i think, or am claiming "if i/you just think good thoughts it'll all work out".
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #96
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
apparently, you believe the laws of the universe dictate otherwise. that is false. obviously ignorant people will think "oh if i just think good thoughts it'll all work out"; which you have proven true by stating that i think, or am claiming "if i/you just think good thoughts it'll all work out".
Was that an oxymoron?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #97

Quote:
I dont really get this, could you elaborate?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #98
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
What? No, I don't. I just stated what I believe; moreover, that's not really a belief so much as pure obvious commonsense-verified FACT: Things don't happen without action to make them happen. Causality, idiot.

Your comprehension of this very basic conversation is so feeble that I must assume anything and everything you claim to understand is probably something you don't have the first clue about.
you've got a long way to go, buddy. good luck.

Quote:
I dont really get this, could you elaborate?
sure. light a candle and watch it. track your thoughts. just to establish an initial thought, think about the word "tab" while you watch the candle. think only of the word "tab". if i am correct, you will "create" thoughts out of no where. more directly, you will start paying attention to other things more noticeably. you may constantly have to restate "tab" to yourself because your mind is consistently being bombarded with other thoughts.

i bet that you can not watch the candle and count to 10 without another thought entering your mind. try it. you'll probably get to 2, or 3, before you have another thought (whatever it may be: ie the color of the wall behind the candle, the surface the candle is on, the wax bead that just fell, that chick you saw the other night, etc...) by "create", and what the wattles quote refers to, is the consistent "creation" the subconcious mind manifests.

you might be able to get to 10 without a single other thought after lots of practice. that's will.

rivek is right on one matter only: if i "think about" a flying penguin, obviously that is not going to "create it" in the physical, real world as we know it. that's why i'm letting him know, that it's going way over his head. further, what use in the material world would a flying penguin be to me?

now, money, on the other hand, sure that's useful. the same principal is in effect. if i simply "think about" $10 million, i'm not going to "create it" for myself to use. however, i can form and commence with efficient courses of action that will lead me to a path that will end with my obtainment of $10 million. so long as i act in a certain way, and don't assume that others' will can't also be imposed on me, which will effect the out come.

"I will induce others to serve me, because of my willingness to serve others." - Napolean Hill

Last edited by calumny; 06-23-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #99

Quote:

sure. light a candle and watch it. track your thoughts. just to establish an initial thought, think about the word "tab" while you watch the candle. think only of the word "tab". if i am correct, you will "create" thoughts out of no where. more directly, you will start paying attention to other things more noticeably. you may constantly have to restate "tab" to yourself because your mind is consistently being bombarded with other thoughts.

i bet that you can not watch the candle and count to 10 without another thought entering your mind. try it. you'll probably get to 2, or 3, before you have another thought (whatever it may be: ie the color of the wall behind the candle, the surface the candle is on, the wax bead that just fell, that chick you saw the other night, etc...) by "create", and what the wattles quote refers to, is the consistent "creation" the subconcious mind manifests.

you might be able to get to 10 without a single other thought after lots of practice. that's will.
Its pretty hard, dont know the benefit of this will though?

Quote:
rivek is right on one matter only: if i "think about" a flying penguin, obviously that is not going to "create it" in the physical, real world as we know it. that's why i'm letting him know, that it's going way over his head. further, what use in the material world would a flying penguin be to me?

now, money, on the other hand, sure that's useful. the same principal is in effect. if i simply "think about" $10 million, i'm not going to "create it" for myself to use. however, i can form and commence with efficient courses of action that will lead me to a path that will end with my obtainment of $10 million. so long as i act in a certain way, and don't assume that others' will can't also be imposed on me, which will effect the out come.

"I will induce others to serve me, because of my willingness to serve others." - Napolean Hill
Well that makes sense, but i dont quite see how it is related to the first thing of concentration?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #100
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Its pretty hard, dont know the benefit of this will though?
don't know the benefit? true peace. ultimate control over self. "nirvana" as known to the buddhists.

Quote:
Well that makes sense, but i dont quite see how it is related to the first thing of concentration?
why not?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #101
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

You're a YES man aren't you?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #102
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
You're a YES man aren't you?
lol, that movie was hilarious. it exemplifies the process very well. and as the point of the movie was, you can be a yes man without saying yes to everything.

oh, and yes is my favorite band. "fragile" is the best record ever made (in my opinion).
Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #103
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
So, you basically admit that you have no idea what the quote you originally posted meant at all, given that you're talking about and describing a process in a way that completely contradicts the original quote?

Good lord, I had hoped you weren't so dumb that you actually misunderstood your own posts, but again I am shown that optimism is rarely rewarded.
how about you read the book?

a free copy of the book, “the science of getting rich” in pdf format:

http://saltlakesgrclub.com/files/The...ta_Version.pdf

i accept your misinformed slander. out of context, it sounds a little wild, yep! i figured it would be understood, given the OP and on topic posts in the thread.

so what have you got to lose?

Last edited by calumny; 06-23-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #104
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Yeah, I'm totally going to waste my time reading a book made of lies.

Here's a hint: the secret to getting rich is in no way intrinsically linked with idiotic meditation exercises.

How about you actually read the post I made earlier on this page where I point out that you're full of shit?

Oh wait, you dodged that because it points out that you're full of shit, and responding to it would be admitting defeat.
i admit that you are full of shit. as aforementioned, you believe the laws of the universe, and the science of getting rich dictate that happy thoughts alone will suffice. that is false. obviously ignorant people will think "oh if i just think good thoughts it'll all work out"; which you have proven true by stating that i think, or am claiming "if i/you just think good thoughts it'll all work out". worse, you won't even read the book under the conviction it is stupid and full of lies, based on no evaluation of your own. you take the quote i provided out of context--or as some moron christians do, "literally"-- and proceed to shit on me and a book you've never read.

thanks for visiting my own personal zoo. i am perplexed at your creature display. look at what that one is doing! why is it doing that!?

keep on keepin on, buddy. you're obviously not angry.

Last edited by calumny; 06-23-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #105
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
You need to brush up on your english or something, because I've been saying the exact opposite. I've merely been pointing out that the "all you have to do is think hard enough and it'll happen" mindset is put forth by your quote which you entered this thread with, and thus is something that you believe and support, unless you just didn't understand your own posted quote.

As it turns out, you just didn't understand the quote that you posted. I don't know why I didn't see that coming, being that you barely even seem to understand my posts -- you believe that I hold a position that I am actually staunchly against.

You're wrong, get over it.
i know exactly what you're saying. so quit taking the quote of context. as i mentioned in a later edit ( you may have missed it), the quote out of context is a little wild, yep! i figured it would be understood, given the OP and on topic posts in the thread. i assumed you had the same qualifications as i. tool helped get me there, so i figured you might be there, too. apparently not.

doesn't matter to me. you're the one closing your ears and saying "lalalalalalala!". if i believe that you hold a position that you are actually staunchly against, why are you telling me that the book i linked you to is a lie, based on the assumption that "all you have to do is think hard enough and it'll happen" is what it will tell you?

Last edited by calumny; 06-23-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #106
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

there it goes right over your head again. i guess that's what happens when you close your ears and yell "lalalalalalala!" as loud as you can as a rebutte.

if not, answer my question.

if i believe that you hold a position that you are actually staunchly against, why are you telling me that the book i linked you to is a lie, based on the assumption that "all you have to do is think hard enough and it'll happen" is what it will tell you?

could it be because you believe it will tell you "all you have to do is think hard enough and it'll happen"? if the answer is "no", then why won't you read the book? do you have something to lose?

your ego, for one. what a piece of work you are! you remind me of me!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #107
On Probation

This sounds vaguely like the Conversation i had with one of the door knocking Mormons once.

I lasted 5 minutes before i turned to get the shotgun.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #108
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

except in this case, (if you're referring to me as the missionary), he asked me--more or less--by claiming my post was invalid. all i did was share my piece. it matters not to me if he or anyone "understands" or not. i didn't knock on his door. he went on with incorrect claims about something he obviously does not understand. do you think i'd go to bat with him if i didn't know?

he sure went through a lot of trouble to try and outwit me. we'll see how he answers my question. his last "response" was a straw man. he conveniently chose the least sound text of my spiel and ignored the meat and potatoes.

not like it matters.

edit:

just to settle this, here is where you claimed to know what the book "the science of getting rich" is about:

Quote:
I've merely been pointing out that the "all you have to do is think hard enough and it'll happen" mindset is put forth by [...]you
and

Quote:
Yeah, I'm totally going to waste my time reading a book made of lies [when i know that] the secret to getting rich is in no way intrinsically linked with idiotic meditation exercises.
so as you can see, you clearly believe that is what you will read. and yes, i used your exact verbiage "just to settle this" pejoratively. so there!

Last edited by calumny; 06-23-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #109
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
You basically just asked a question with about as much sense as "If the sky is blue, where are all the manatees going?" The two concepts you put forth are completely and totally unrelated.
just as your avatar indicates, you are good at wiggling out of situations. nice work, strawman.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #110
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
This sounds vaguely like the Conversation i had with one of the door knocking Mormons once.

I lasted 5 minutes before i turned to get the shotgun.
Just boobytrap the door next time.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #111
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Just boobytrap the door next time.
I hope one comes by while im cutting up lamb for my dogs. Then I can walk up to them covered in meat scraps and carrying a bloody cleaver. That'll get rid of em quick
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #112
Level 12 - Scurrilous

No shit, next try to scare away a Jehovah's witness...those fuckers never give up
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #113
On Probation

Maybe if i foam at the mouth a little? and get a female in the house to scream?

Meh, failing that, i'll steal their car, advantages of living in the country haha
Old 06-24-2009, 05:59 AM   #114
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Do you have any actual content to put forth, or are you just going to continue to be a troll?
you're joking, right? i offer some of the most valuable information i've come to find in my life (for free, no less!), pwn you in a battle you started, and i'm trolling?

silly rivek. get a grip. it's not my problem you believe the book i've offered to you is nothing but religious drivel. it's also not my problem that you won't check to see for yourself. nor is it my problem that the answer you've given me this whole time is plugged ears and loud "lalalalala's".

i understand it's a big deal to read a book. especially compared to how important whatever you're doing is. oogie boogie.

Last edited by calumny; 06-24-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #115
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Because as we all know, Buddhist principles and meditation exercises (which actually are a waste of time for a motivated and busy person with concrete and achievable goals) are insanely valuable and not at all available for free perusal in many easily-accessible avenues, and we must worship the ground that those who provide them to us walk upon.
haha.

Quote:
You have nothing special or new to offer. I read the book you linked; it's the same pseudomystical shit The Secret tries to tell people, in slightly different language, just as I suspected.
i do not believe that you read it. it's a book of philosophy. you telling me this, is like me telling you that this quote is void of value:

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure. The way you think about a fact may defeat you before you ever do anything about it. You are overcome by the fact because you think you are." - Norman Vincent Peale

meaningless words? insipid like you've implied? to an idiot, yea. i don't think you're an idiot. it's obvious to me that you're very smart, so why are you lying just to save face? if you had read the book, you'd have a helluva lot better rebutte than "slightly different language". don't tell me it's vacuous until you can at least provide a sound argument against it.

Quote:
You would do well to learn that what you seem to think of as people stuffing their fingers in their ears and refusing to listen is actually people seeing through the bullshit you present and refusing to swallow the lie.
here, let me stroke your ego for you.

Last edited by calumny; 06-24-2009 at 08:19 AM..
Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #116
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I'm out.
hopefully you caught my edit (it wasn't in the quote).

see you!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #117
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Also, lol @ your edit where you added a good bit of meaningless ad hominem and asked me to provide a sound argument, which I already have, and which you still have not.
you're proud of your ignorance. that's awesome!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #118
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Also, lol @ your edit where you added a good bit of meaningless ad hominem and asked me to provide a sound argument, which I already have, and which you still have not.
your rebutte is: "you believe wishing and praying and thinking and hoping will be sufficient to obtain what you need in life. the verbiage in the science of getting rich by wallace wattles is nothing but slightly different language."

if you refuse to budge, you're a joke! that is not a sound rebutte, at all.

Quote:
This is in no way connected to what was just being discussed...
yes it is. philosophy is philosophy. if you can find some other philosophy that "out philosophizes" what the science of getting rich presents, offer it. it's not my problem that you can't make that simple connection.

Last edited by calumny; 06-24-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #119
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the fact that you still think the SGR is a "wish and do not else" is proof you havn't read the book.

"It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it hath it not." - Jeremy Taylor

i wish you well. cheers!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: