opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 11. Pushit
User Name
Password
Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30
A Song about Abortion

Pushit may indeed be a song about abortion. I will not step out and immediatly claim it is an anti-abortion song but here is my reasoning.

"Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?"

This is the mother contemplating the abortion; should she do it and end the life of a child which is a reflection of her? She also wonders is the abortion justified or should she give birth to the child.

"Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line."

This is the mother further contemplating the abortion; she can end the childs life with a simple procedure or let it live and she obsesses over it and it mentally tortures her.

"Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear. "

This is the mother thinking of what life may be like with the child; the burden of raising a child may cost her all of her money and they both will wither away into poverty and eventually, possibly death.

"Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well."

This is the mother knowing that the child is a gap that is needed to be filled in her life. She tries to push the abortion and the child off of her mind.

"If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,"

The child may live a sad lonely life in a orphanange if she chooses to have it. The mother is worried she will be unable to get around with a bulging stomach.

"Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again."

This is the mother thinking about the birth and the doctor staring down her vagina.

"Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way."

This is the mother making her final decision; to have the abortion. She tells her child she will always love it no matter how brutally she tears it out of her life and existence.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 117
Re: A Song about Abortion

like the dig, very resourceful. my prior knowledge had me believing it was about the separation of richard pryor from his crack pipe.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

This is an awesome interpretation. Really I don't think this is what it was written about, but I do think Maynard writes to leave other interpretations open.

He's known as saying this on November 23, 1996, "Have you ever loved someone so much you had to kill them? Or had someone love you so much you had to kill them? Me neither."

That's a pretty ambiguous reveal of the song's meaning. But yeah, like I said, this is an awesome interpretation and I don't think it should be labeled wrong since it lands inside that openness Maynard leaves for interpretation.

REALLY, this is an insanely cool perspective on the song. Just, because. It all fits. Nice job.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

well thought out
Old 06-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

The next song, "Cesaro Summability", also coincides with this idea because it opens with the sounds of an infant crying; the consequence of choosing not to have an abortion.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

While I'm at it, in more general terms, I think this song may be about the negative side of sexuality. It is not just beautiful because sometimes it may be "pushed upon you", or may result in the unwanted burden of an infant.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Further more I will add in a little theory of mine about abortion to elucidiate my ideas to you. I dont think it is a sin to have an abortion. I think the sin is the action you do not take. I think God may put the burden of pregnancy upon you to judge you; he learns more about you by the decision you make, whether to have the baby or not. This helps him learn more about you and get closer to you and develops your personality and beliefs. This idea should help muddle some confused thoughts when reading this thread.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Cumon people, give me some ideas!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
The next song, "Cesaro Summability", also coincides with this idea because it opens with the sounds of an infant crying; the consequence of choosing not to have an abortion.
How can you say the "consequence" of NOT having an abortion? Having a child is a very special thing, true it's a responsibility but it should never be a burden.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
How can you say the "consequence" of NOT having an abortion? Having a child is a very special thing, true it's a responsibility but it should never be a burden.
I know having a child is a very wonderful experience but my whole idea about this song is it is about the negative side of sexuality such as having an unwanted child, for example when you cannot afford to raise it.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

if you guys think maynard would write about a broke bitch in such a powerful song,i'm sorry but youre sadly mistaken
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjoe View Post
if you guys think maynard would write about a broke bitch in such a powerful song,i'm sorry but youre sadly mistaken
Dude, you totally don't understand what we mean by the negative side of sexuality.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
"Consequence" isn't defined as a negative, it's just a result of an action taken. So he never said a child could be a burden in his statement.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

i love this interpretation, it really changed how i viewed this song, especially the last part where you explain how the mother made the final decision to have the abortion even though she still loved the child. It coincides well with what Maynard said ""Have you ever loved someone so much you had to kill them?....Me neither" Its like he's saying that even though he's never been in this position he can kind of empathize how it must feel.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Thanks for the positive feedback you guys!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #16
On Probation

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
I dont think it is a sin to have an abortion. I think the sin is the action you do not take. I think God may put the burden of pregnancy upon you to judge you; he learns more about you by the decision you make, whether to have the baby or not. This helps him learn more about you and get closer to you and develops your personality and beliefs. This idea should help muddle some confused thoughts when reading this thread.
You do know that you get pregnant by having sex? I don't believe in God, but I'd be more inclined to think his test was to do with seeing if you could stop getting pregnant in the first place.

But I do like your thinking that "infant" actually refers to a child, or an archetype, and not some metaphor.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: