Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
07-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Three Deviations. I am sick of your closet-Ptolemiacism. You think the world is black and white and that people can't have spiritual expereinces on drugs. There is a big difference between a drug expereince and a spiritual experience. A drug experience is when you do drugs to get fucked up and dissociate with your surroundings for a while. A spiritual expereince is when you actually expereince a one-ness with nature and your surroundings, feel your body die and become reborn, truly love everything, journey through the path of human evolution, transcend time and space, meet extraterrestrial spirits who give you secrets of the universe only to forget them later. If you don't think drugs can be spiritual, how come so many people claim them to be? How come the shamans and indians used to take them for sacred rituals? How come Tim Leary got so big? I cannot take place arguing with someone so dense as to think songs and lyrics can only have one meaning any longer. You can go on living in your black and white little universe where the Earth is nice and center and everything revolves around it, and you. I'll be over here questioning my own beleifs and the beleifs of those around me, thinking of the possibilities to every situation and not tying myself down to any beleif system.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #281
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Three Deviations. I am sick of your closet-Ptolemiacism. You think the world is black and white and that people can't have spiritual expereinces on drugs. There is a big difference between a drug expereince and a spiritual experience. A drug experience is when you do drugs to get fucked up and dissociate with your surroundings for a while. A spiritual expereince is when you actually expereince a one-ness with nature and your surroundings, feel your body die and become reborn, truly love everything, journey through the path of human evolution, transcend time and space, meet extraterrestrial spirits who give you secrets of the universe only to forget them later. If you don't think drugs can be spiritual, how come so many people claim them to be? How come the shamans and indians used to take them for sacred rituals? How come Tim Leary got so big? I cannot take place arguing with someone so dense as to think songs and lyrics can only have one meaning any longer. You can go on living in your black and white little universe where the Earth is nice and center and everything revolves around it, and you. I'll be over here questioning my own beleifs and the beleifs of those around me, thinking of the possibilities to every situation and not tying myself down to any beleif system.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
07-22-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
I think 3d is a high strung, judgemental, douchebag. I also think you are all (myself included now) are only feeding the delusions. I think you are probably one of those kids I used to kick in the ass in the hallways at school, or slap the books out of your hands. I think that's probably why you are a teacher now....to finally be on the 'authority' side of the school system. You are a joke......so why don't you just shutup for a minute and let people have their say without being subject to you barrage of offensive chatter. Most of us have come here to share there thoughts and feelings about TOOL. Not about if drug users are idiots or not. And on that note, who the fuck are you to decide wether 'the guy that smokes pot TWICE a month' is an idiot or not>? Maybe he's the idiot for missing out on the other 28 or 29 (or 27) days he could have enjoyed himself, without all the fucking brainwash your governments have sold you--you are such a fool to buy into all their shit.
But you can go on about your merry way, throwing mud at all those whom disagree. That won't clean you. You are still the person you are whom you obviously are not completely satisfied with....silly monkey....go fuck yourself....
and on your "if they want to be wrong and be happy so be it" comment...once again, who the fuck do you think you are>? Who sent you>?! Maybe you should write this shit down: "It doesn't matter what's right...." ....you probably forgot your pen....
I know I'm right about alot of things about TOOL/APC/Maynard and all of this...but that doesn't mean someone else is wrong...who fucking cares what they think...not me, not Maynard, not TOOL....

lastly...this is all I have to say about 3d....

I think you were trying to imply I am not happy with myself because I tell people how it is?! Suggesting it's because I am insecure or.. well, whatever negative characteristics ya get from getting kicked in the ass in the hallway.

That's funny coming from the smoking loser who used to knock the books out of the hands of weaker kids.. kick them in the ass? Nice.

and trust me, son.. you wouldn't have ever considered touching a book of mine. you wouldn't have even had the balls to make eye contact.

offensive chatter? ha, it's all you junkie fucks who are offended... I'm just having fun, telling the truth, kickin back and having a blast watching all of you fall all over yourselves.

yeah, it's the government! that's all.

"It doesn't matter what's right?" That's your answer? Sad. Maybe you could've continued the sentence... "it's only wrong if you get caught."

He's talking about how- ya know what, nevermind. You think "it doesn't matter what's right" is referring to interpretation of lyrics or just some general statement that can be applied toward anything ya want? funny

try again, struggle boy
Old 07-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #282
On Probation

Quote:
I think 3d is a high strung, judgemental, douchebag. I also think you are all (myself included now) are only feeding the delusions. I think you are probably one of those kids I used to kick in the ass in the hallways at school, or slap the books out of your hands. I think that's probably why you are a teacher now....to finally be on the 'authority' side of the school system. You are a joke......so why don't you just shutup for a minute and let people have their say without being subject to you barrage of offensive chatter. Most of us have come here to share there thoughts and feelings about TOOL. Not about if drug users are idiots or not. And on that note, who the fuck are you to decide wether 'the guy that smokes pot TWICE a month' is an idiot or not>? Maybe he's the idiot for missing out on the other 28 or 29 (or 27) days he could have enjoyed himself, without all the fucking brainwash your governments have sold you--you are such a fool to buy into all their shit.
But you can go on about your merry way, throwing mud at all those whom disagree. That won't clean you. You are still the person you are whom you obviously are not completely satisfied with....silly monkey....go fuck yourself....
and on your "if they want to be wrong and be happy so be it" comment...once again, who the fuck do you think you are>? Who sent you>?! Maybe you should write this shit down: "It doesn't matter what's right...." ....you probably forgot your pen....
I know I'm right about alot of things about TOOL/APC/Maynard and all of this...but that doesn't mean someone else is wrong...who fucking cares what they think...not me, not Maynard, not TOOL....

lastly...this is all I have to say about 3d....

I think you were trying to imply I am not happy with myself because I tell people how it is?! Suggesting it's because I am insecure or.. well, whatever negative characteristics ya get from getting kicked in the ass in the hallway.

That's funny coming from the smoking loser who used to knock the books out of the hands of weaker kids.. kick them in the ass? Nice.

and trust me, son.. you wouldn't have ever considered touching a book of mine. you wouldn't have even had the balls to make eye contact.

offensive chatter? ha, it's all you junkie fucks who are offended... I'm just having fun, telling the truth, kickin back and having a blast watching all of you fall all over yourselves.

"It doesn't matter what's right?" That's your answer? Sad. Maybe you could've continued the sentence... "it's only wrong if you get caught."

He's talking about how- ya know what, nevermind. You think "it doesn't matter what's right" is referring to interpretation of lyrics or just some general statement that can be applied toward anything ya want? funny

try again, struggle boy
07-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
Why did Tim Leary get so big? Twinkies? Religion is pretty big too.

Drug experience vs Spiritual... ahhh..

drug experience - Why would I want to "dissociate" with my surroundings?

spiritual experience- you silly euphemist!!

I'll translate your euphemisms for you..

one with nature and surroundings... = Kinda tried to fuck your Lazy Boy. Friend pisses on your lighter. Satan.

You're getting bored again.....

feel your body die and become reborn? = You pass out and wake up the following morning in some guy's room. A name plate on the door reads "TYRONE'S PAD" in big, black lettering. Your whitey tighties are nowhere to be found. But you do find the elastic band wrapped around your forehead, with the name RAMBO spelled out across the top.

You're getting bored again......

"Truly love everything" = Temporarily escape from the horrible reality that is you.

Journey through the path of human evolution = Put your finger into your ass as far as you can, where you happen to feel your coccyx. You then spend the next two hours wiping your finger on the wet dew and asking yourself, "dude, you think I really had a fuckin tail?"

You're getting bored again....

Transend time and space = See what you can top out the speedometer at in your mom's populated neighborhood. October 31.

Meet extraterrestrial "spirits" who give you secrets of the universe only to forget them later. = you're a fucking idiot.

You're getting bored again.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #283
On Probation

Quote:

one with nature and surroundings... = Kinda tried to fuck your Lazy Boy. Friend pisses on your lighter. Satan.

feel your body die and become reborn? = You pass out and wake up the following morning in some guy's room. A name plate on the door reads "TYRONE'S PAD" in big, black lettering. Your whitey tighties are nowhere to be found. But you do find the elastic band wrapped around your forehead, with the name RAMBO spelled out across the top.

"Truly love everything" = Temporarily escape from the horrible reality that is you.

Journey through the path of human evolution = Put your finger into your ass as far as you can, where you happen to feel your coccyx. You then spend the next two hours wiping your finger on the wet dew and asking yourself, "dude, you think I really had a fuckin tail?"

Transend time and space = See what you can top out the speedometer at in your mom's populated neighborhood. October 31.

Meet extraterrestrial "spirits" who give you secrets of the universe only to forget them later. = you're a fucking idiot.

joshrd
07-22-2006, 01:34 PM

i was reading an interview posted on fourtheye.net, and adam jones said that rosetta stoned was about how ppl try to find an enlightening just by doing drugs.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #284
Level 3 - Talker

i was reading an interview posted on fourtheye.net, and adam jones said that rosetta stoned was about how ppl try to find an enlightening just by doing drugs.
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-22-2006, 03:06 PM

oooooooooooook.....

Last edited by Caduceus11; 07-22-2006 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: remove 3D-like aggression
Old 07-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #285
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

oooooooooooook.....

Last edited by Caduceus11; 07-22-2006 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: remove 3D-like aggression
ragextool
07-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf25
Given all the "one meaning" talk coming from ThreeDeviations in this thread, I feel a need to let you know that you're 100% wrong.

"Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen."

So it's our alien-abducted protagonist who's "writing it down for all the world to see", yet it's his followers who are in need of a pen? If that's Maynard's "one intended meaning" that we're all idiots for not getting, he sure did try to make it pretty fucking hard for us to decipher; kind of like God putting fossils here to test our faith. Are we all making copies of these revelations by hand? Presumably all of these followers aren't also tripping out of their minds (or however else the song might be interpreted), so couldn't they just remember it and write it down later? Why would the man whose lyrics are scrutinized and obsessed over probably more than anyone else's in the world devote an 11 minute song to how he's not taken seriously enough? Why would he be such an arrogant prick to compare himself in complete seriousness to a messianic prophet, especially with all the "think for yourself, question authority" themes in much of their earlier music? And most of all, why the fuck would he change who's speaking for a single line during the song's climax without giving any real lyrical or musical indication of that intention, when the entire rest of the song is the same protagonist speaking?

I agree that Tool songs generally do have one specific intended meaning. Rosetta Stoned seems more abstract than most, in that on the surface it's simply a story about aliens and drugs. I've read several interesting interpretations, but at this point one of the few things I can say with certainty about this song is that ThreeDeviations' interpretation is completely wrong.

Oh and I also think that Maynard probably doesn't sit around thinking about how the world would be an Eden-like paradise if only people would take him more seriously.

i think it's bring rather than read, why would he be reading if he's writing?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #286
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Maynard's patience wearing thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf25
Given all the "one meaning" talk coming from ThreeDeviations in this thread, I feel a need to let you know that you're 100% wrong.

"Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen."

So it's our alien-abducted protagonist who's "writing it down for all the world to see", yet it's his followers who are in need of a pen? If that's Maynard's "one intended meaning" that we're all idiots for not getting, he sure did try to make it pretty fucking hard for us to decipher; kind of like God putting fossils here to test our faith. Are we all making copies of these revelations by hand? Presumably all of these followers aren't also tripping out of their minds (or however else the song might be interpreted), so couldn't they just remember it and write it down later? Why would the man whose lyrics are scrutinized and obsessed over probably more than anyone else's in the world devote an 11 minute song to how he's not taken seriously enough? Why would he be such an arrogant prick to compare himself in complete seriousness to a messianic prophet, especially with all the "think for yourself, question authority" themes in much of their earlier music? And most of all, why the fuck would he change who's speaking for a single line during the song's climax without giving any real lyrical or musical indication of that intention, when the entire rest of the song is the same protagonist speaking?

I agree that Tool songs generally do have one specific intended meaning. Rosetta Stoned seems more abstract than most, in that on the surface it's simply a story about aliens and drugs. I've read several interesting interpretations, but at this point one of the few things I can say with certainty about this song is that ThreeDeviations' interpretation is completely wrong.

Oh and I also think that Maynard probably doesn't sit around thinking about how the world would be an Eden-like paradise if only people would take him more seriously.

07-22-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations

try again, struggle boy

Read into it what you want, its not me that everyone is laughing at.
And you. the ALMIGHTY supreme point your finger at me because of something I chose to do at my own leisure>? That makes me a loser>? Ha, that's so funny...have you ever noticed the people that run around calling people losers are....well, not winners.

I don't know or care why you have such issues as these insecurities you display. Maybe its just because you weren't considered cool by the "cool" kids. I don't really know, or care....the fact is, you come here screaming "I am RIGHT, YOU are WRONG! AGREE WITH ME OR I'LL CALL YOU NAMES." Does that not demonstrate at least some kind of disfunction in your opinion<>? It certainly makes you seem to be one of those that while ACTING like you don't need acceptance, seek it so passionately; never seeming to realize how repulsive you are.

So you tell people how it is, eh>? You tell people how your DELUSION is. Try not to omit the most important word of the statement.

Nice>? who said I was trying to be nice>? Who said it was the weaker kids whose books were knocked and asses kicked....I'm an equal opportunity asshole, and that shit includes EVERYONE.

You don't offend me....you amuze me....

I wouldn't have the balls to look you in the eye>?....yea, I think I would. You have no idea who the fuck I am. But maybe not; I bet you are just as intimidating as you are absolute in your dogma. Oh you scare me so....what will I ever do now>? How will I ever sleep at night>? I'm just shitting all over the place over here....3deviations is so scary and tought that I'd fear to look at him.
The only reason I'd not want to look you in the eye is probably because you are just as hideous to behold with the eyes as you words are to read....

Maybe it wasn't the governments propaganda thats got you so confused, but whatever it was, I wonder why you go so willingly with it.

The "matter what's right" comment I made, somehow, you being so supreme in your intelligence, missed the point.

SO, everyone else here....lets all just read what the great master 3deviations has to say....he's the only person in the world that has any idea whats' going on and we should all just shut the hell up and let our great dictator decide for us what is and isn't.....hush now....shhh.....let us all take heed and hear him well.....

....you make me laugh......
Old 07-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #287
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

try again, struggle boy

Read into it what you want, its not me that everyone is laughing at.
And you. the ALMIGHTY supreme point your finger at me because of something I chose to do at my own leisure>? That makes me a loser>? Ha, that's so funny...have you ever noticed the people that run around calling people losers are....well, not winners.

I don't know or care why you have such issues as these insecurities you display. Maybe its just because you weren't considered cool by the "cool" kids. I don't really know, or care....the fact is, you come here screaming "I am RIGHT, YOU are WRONG! AGREE WITH ME OR I'LL CALL YOU NAMES." Does that not demonstrate at least some kind of disfunction in your opinion<>? It certainly makes you seem to be one of those that while ACTING like you don't need acceptance, seek it so passionately; never seeming to realize how repulsive you are.

So you tell people how it is, eh>? You tell people how your DELUSION is. Try not to omit the most important word of the statement.

Nice>? who said I was trying to be nice>? Who said it was the weaker kids whose books were knocked and asses kicked....I'm an equal opportunity asshole, and that shit includes EVERYONE.

You don't offend me....you amuze me....

I wouldn't have the balls to look you in the eye>?....yea, I think I would. You have no idea who the fuck I am. But maybe not; I bet you are just as intimidating as you are absolute in your dogma. Oh you scare me so....what will I ever do now>? How will I ever sleep at night>? I'm just shitting all over the place over here....3deviations is so scary and tought that I'd fear to look at him.
The only reason I'd not want to look you in the eye is probably because you are just as hideous to behold with the eyes as you words are to read....

Maybe it wasn't the governments propaganda thats got you so confused, but whatever it was, I wonder why you go so willingly with it.

The "matter what's right" comment I made, somehow, you being so supreme in your intelligence, missed the point.

SO, everyone else here....lets all just read what the great master 3deviations has to say....he's the only person in the world that has any idea whats' going on and we should all just shut the hell up and let our great dictator decide for us what is and isn't.....hush now....shhh.....let us all take heed and hear him well.....

....you make me laugh......
07-22-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragextool

makes sense...could be...

have you asked 3abbreviations what that the true one and only set of lyrics are>?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #288
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Maynard's patience wearing thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragextool

makes sense...could be...

have you asked 3abbreviations what that the true one and only set of lyrics are>?
07-22-2006, 10:15 PM

wow, very insightful caduceus.

equal opportunity asshole... cute

you don't do drugs at your own leisure.

see post 283

next..
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #289
On Probation

see post 283

next..
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
07-23-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:

That's a very concise, kind of analytical view of it. Had I never been exposed directly to the culture of it I'd hold a very similar view, perhaps. Those things very well could be done/happen depending on the user. I myself have never gone driving while on drugs. That's as ignorant as driving while drunk.

The point is drugs are like any other tool. You can use them, you can misuse them, and you can abuse them. Also don't be so quick to relagate all drugs into one catagory: "DRUGS". I don't do meth, I don't do coke, frankly, I don't do much of anything anymore. But when I did, the drugs I took had very different behavioral norms that occurred than with the aforementioned drugs.

If you've never experienced a psychedelic trip, one of those 'journies into the infinite' you'd realize there are moments in it, albeit intoxicated, when you have great moments of lucidity and understanding. I've had thoughts and ideas while in that state that I brought back with me and applied to 'normal' life.

And to wrap this all up I think that's in a lot of ways what Rosetta Stoned is about. People that seek enlightment solely through chemical means are going to be sorely disappointed when the chemicals are gone. You have to follow up.

So in a way way I agree with 3D; anyone that does drugs and doesn't apply what they've learned to their 'regular' life is abusing a powerful tool. And when it's abuse, be it from overuse or simply from squandering the experience for a few hours of kicks, then you're a junkie.

(By the way, in most contexts above when I use the term 'drugs' I'm referring to psychedelics, not narcotics.)

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-23-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Old 07-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #290
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

That's a very concise, kind of analytical view of it. Had I never been exposed directly to the culture of it I'd hold a very similar view, perhaps. Those things very well could be done/happen depending on the user. I myself have never gone driving while on drugs. That's as ignorant as driving while drunk.

The point is drugs are like any other tool. You can use them, you can misuse them, and you can abuse them. Also don't be so quick to relagate all drugs into one catagory: "DRUGS". I don't do meth, I don't do coke, frankly, I don't do much of anything anymore. But when I did, the drugs I took had very different behavioral norms that occurred than with the aforementioned drugs.

If you've never experienced a psychedelic trip, one of those 'journies into the infinite' you'd realize there are moments in it, albeit intoxicated, when you have great moments of lucidity and understanding. I've had thoughts and ideas while in that state that I brought back with me and applied to 'normal' life.

And to wrap this all up I think that's in a lot of ways what Rosetta Stoned is about. People that seek enlightment solely through chemical means are going to be sorely disappointed when the chemicals are gone. You have to follow up.

So in a way way I agree with 3D; anyone that does drugs and doesn't apply what they've learned to their 'regular' life is abusing a powerful tool. And when it's abuse, be it from overuse or simply from squandering the experience for a few hours of kicks, then you're a junkie.

(By the way, in most contexts above when I use the term 'drugs' I'm referring to psychedelics, not narcotics.)

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-23-2006 at 08:57 AM..
07-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:

see post 283

next..

Oh thank you great one. I am so glad you have cleared everything up for me. Who needs psychedelics when we have 3d here to show us everything>?

So when exactly DO I do "drugs">? Please clarify, as you seem to have me under surveillance.

You're getting BORING again....
Old 07-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #291
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

see post 283

next..

Oh thank you great one. I am so glad you have cleared everything up for me. Who needs psychedelics when we have 3d here to show us everything>?

So when exactly DO I do "drugs">? Please clarify, as you seem to have me under surveillance.

You're getting BORING again....
07-23-2006, 09:48 AM

The fact of the matter is, your personal "drug" use is whatever you choose for it to be. I generally do my "drugs" as an aid in meditation, relaxation. Sure, any one mind can acheive ANY effect you recieve from taking ANY drug if only you learn how. Any of this use of "drugs" that people do is just a lazy or uneducated means to reach certain mindstates. But if you don't believe drugs have done some good things for us....well, I think you know the rest....

"next...."
Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #292
Level 7 - Loquacious

The fact of the matter is, your personal "drug" use is whatever you choose for it to be. I generally do my "drugs" as an aid in meditation, relaxation. Sure, any one mind can acheive ANY effect you recieve from taking ANY drug if only you learn how. Any of this use of "drugs" that people do is just a lazy or uneducated means to reach certain mindstates. But if you don't believe drugs have done some good things for us....well, I think you know the rest....

"next...."
07-23-2006, 10:09 AM

There is one reason why the sky changes color when the sun sets.

One logical and definite answer to why it does and has done it.

But do you think that answer has changed the way humanity as admired and stood in awe of something as simple as a sunset?

No.

***ThreeDeviations
For all I know, you could of hit the nail on the head and are only momments away from MJK finding you and praising you on your ability to percive his message in the only correct way possible. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

I don't know why you have to be right in this. Becuase you will never know. You didn't write the words, you will never experince that momment that MJK did. All you will experince is the reaction you have. The song is an influenceal element that will invoke all the feelings and ideas make your existance personal.

That is what art is. I could sit and logicly and analyticly tell you how I feel sad. But all I would be doing is telling how I feel. You would not be sad. You may be sympathetic if you were anything. But one person cannot convey their feelings directly to another. Artists use ways to create something outside themselves that will invoke feeling and introspection. That music is meant to be taken and absorb and refelcted upon. Not picked and poked until it bleeds an answer.

I promise you... You will never get the one right answer...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #293
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There is one reason why the sky changes color when the sun sets.

One logical and definite answer to why it does and has done it.

But do you think that answer has changed the way humanity as admired and stood in awe of something as simple as a sunset?

No.

***ThreeDeviations
For all I know, you could of hit the nail on the head and are only momments away from MJK finding you and praising you on your ability to percive his message in the only correct way possible. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

I don't know why you have to be right in this. Becuase you will never know. You didn't write the words, you will never experince that momment that MJK did. All you will experince is the reaction you have. The song is an influenceal element that will invoke all the feelings and ideas make your existance personal.

That is what art is. I could sit and logicly and analyticly tell you how I feel sad. But all I would be doing is telling how I feel. You would not be sad. You may be sympathetic if you were anything. But one person cannot convey their feelings directly to another. Artists use ways to create something outside themselves that will invoke feeling and introspection. That music is meant to be taken and absorb and refelcted upon. Not picked and poked until it bleeds an answer.

I promise you... You will never get the one right answer...
07-23-2006, 10:16 AM

Well, and even if you *do* get the single, intended idea that the writer was writing when he/she wrote it it's a moot point. You'll never be able to confirm it so you'll never know if you're right or not.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #294
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, and even if you *do* get the single, intended idea that the writer was writing when he/she wrote it it's a moot point. You'll never be able to confirm it so you'll never know if you're right or not.

07-23-2006, 02:12 PM

I think most of us get the main idea of the song. The way I look at it is in levels:
the literal : taking the words at face value should give you the basic idea. No, its not at all what the song is REALLY about or what you should take from it.
the metaphorical: here you start to see where Maynard's sarcasm (in alot of cases) and song-writing come toghether. There are so many metaphors in TOOL lyrix.
Once you see how the song develops from the literal to the metaphorical, then you should start to be able to form a relation that will help you see what's really being told.

But there are so many things being (not) said in these songs, that you should, with your third eye OPEN, start to gain some understanding of the meaning of the song.

There is generally a set meaning for each song, but that's not to say that someone else may relate it differently or gain more or less from it than others. Yes, you can generally tell what TOOL is getting at when you really sit and try to understand what its really about. But that's not to say there's ONE and only ONE meaning to the song. There's not ONE single line that you could say to sum up ANY of the songs. Sure there's a theme, but it can grow into something that applies to each individual. The meaning of ART is how its percieved by those whom are exposed to it. I can tell you a painting makes me feel sick, but it makes you feel happy, and it makes the artist sad. If you want the ONE TRUE meaning of what the artist was trying to accomplish in their work, the only way to get the answer is to go to the creator. Maynard's not going to tell us...so come to your conclusions, discuss them here with the group and 'both move on together' or just shut down and insult everyone for their reaction to the music....naa, don't do that....
Old 07-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #295
Level 7 - Loquacious

I think most of us get the main idea of the song. The way I look at it is in levels:
the literal : taking the words at face value should give you the basic idea. No, its not at all what the song is REALLY about or what you should take from it.
the metaphorical: here you start to see where Maynard's sarcasm (in alot of cases) and song-writing come toghether. There are so many metaphors in TOOL lyrix.
Once you see how the song develops from the literal to the metaphorical, then you should start to be able to form a relation that will help you see what's really being told.

But there are so many things being (not) said in these songs, that you should, with your third eye OPEN, start to gain some understanding of the meaning of the song.

There is generally a set meaning for each song, but that's not to say that someone else may relate it differently or gain more or less from it than others. Yes, you can generally tell what TOOL is getting at when you really sit and try to understand what its really about. But that's not to say there's ONE and only ONE meaning to the song. There's not ONE single line that you could say to sum up ANY of the songs. Sure there's a theme, but it can grow into something that applies to each individual. The meaning of ART is how its percieved by those whom are exposed to it. I can tell you a painting makes me feel sick, but it makes you feel happy, and it makes the artist sad. If you want the ONE TRUE meaning of what the artist was trying to accomplish in their work, the only way to get the answer is to go to the creator. Maynard's not going to tell us...so come to your conclusions, discuss them here with the group and 'both move on together' or just shut down and insult everyone for their reaction to the music....naa, don't do that....
07-23-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:

That's really all I write about is the bigger picture.
What motivated the man to write these words down....

That's why I don't give a shit when someone says, "oh, well it means this to me... so fuck you." Yeah? Good. Good for you. I personalize the song in my head too based off the original intent. Not how it makes me feel initially. My mold doesn't harden instantly... it's just a foundation.
I like to get into the mind of the creator and sense and feel where they're coming from.. and then let it go where it may based off actual intent and emotion.

Your reply, "yeah, but you don't know what the original intent was dude!" oh really? I think i do.

So just because the song DOES HAVE ONE ORIGINAL MEANING ... I'm not saying you can't personalize it. Just don't miss it by a mile. anyhow,

this next part is from a previous post of mine on this thread since people don't bother readin the whole thing... then suggest I don't see the bigger picture, while still respecting any peripheral "messages" along the way.

"Rosetta Stoned, Blame "Dr." Hoffman... it doesn't mean the actual meaning of the song is about drugs or LSD.

Stinkfist is not about sexual fisting.. but it's written through that metaphor.
4 degrees isn't about anal sex... but it's written through that perspective.
Prison Sex isn't about having sex in prison.

The song is written to shed some light on a few different things... area 51, alien abduction, its ramifications on people afterward.. side effects.. how others perceive people who say they've been abducted... etc.

Obviously there are drug references too... so when you say "I don't believe the message is that psychedelics are entirely a bad thing, just that dependance on them and them alone for enlightenment is futile" that sounds about right.

Just like the alien abduction though, it's NOT what the real meaning is about.

The climax of the song is when he sings..

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see"

It's no coincidence those are the words that are being sung during the climax.
All the other lyrics and references are entirely secondary to this part...
you can hear and feel it when you listen to the song..

This song's climax and actual message are very similar to Stinkfist... "something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything... what became of subtlety."

Both messages are clear and to the point.. no tricky wording.. no metaphors.. no bullshit."
Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #296
On Probation

Quote:

That's really all I write about is the bigger picture.
What motivated the man to write these words down....

That's why I don't give a shit when someone says, "oh, well it means this to me... so fuck you." Yeah? Good. Good for you. I personalize the song in my head too based off the original intent. Not how it makes me feel initially. My mold doesn't harden instantly... it's just a foundation.
I like to get into the mind of the creator and sense and feel where they're coming from.. and then let it go where it may based off actual intent and emotion.

Your reply, "yeah, but you don't know what the original intent was dude!" oh really? I think i do.

So just because the song DOES HAVE ONE ORIGINAL MEANING ... I'm not saying you can't personalize it. Just don't miss it by a mile. anyhow,

this next part is from a previous post of mine on this thread since people don't bother readin the whole thing... then suggest I don't see the bigger picture, while still respecting any peripheral "messages" along the way.

"Rosetta Stoned, Blame "Dr." Hoffman... it doesn't mean the actual meaning of the song is about drugs or LSD.

Stinkfist is not about sexual fisting.. but it's written through that metaphor.
4 degrees isn't about anal sex... but it's written through that perspective.
Prison Sex isn't about having sex in prison.

The song is written to shed some light on a few different things... area 51, alien abduction, its ramifications on people afterward.. side effects.. how others perceive people who say they've been abducted... etc.

Obviously there are drug references too... so when you say "I don't believe the message is that psychedelics are entirely a bad thing, just that dependance on them and them alone for enlightenment is futile" that sounds about right.

Just like the alien abduction though, it's NOT what the real meaning is about.

The climax of the song is when he sings..

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see"

It's no coincidence those are the words that are being sung during the climax.
All the other lyrics and references are entirely secondary to this part...
you can hear and feel it when you listen to the song..

This song's climax and actual message are very similar to Stinkfist... "something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything... what became of subtlety."

Both messages are clear and to the point.. no tricky wording.. no metaphors.. no bullshit."
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
07-23-2006, 06:52 PM

As much as I think 3D's an asshole (and have reminded her of such on various occasions) she IS right.

I mean, to have a whole song that just so happens to be the crux of the album be EXCLUSIVELY about some fucked up guy and his bad trip (in order to remind all those druggies that you can't be enlightened through drugs) is slightly close-minded. If none of you have read paraflux's "Fluxterpation" (it's stickied at the bottom of the forum) then you proabably should.

10,000 Days is about death and (as all the band members have described it) is their "blues" album. To stick something that's purely about the side effects of being retarded, wagging their fingers at "those darn potheads" is not quite "death" or "blues-y" enough for me. It makes infinite more sense if this is a post-modern exposition of Maynard/TOOL's current feelings about the state of the nation/world --- we just don't listen, and when we do, we forget it immediately.

No, Maynard is not a "prophet", but the insight that comes from TOOL's lyrics can be seen as "the details of our ending".

It might help to look at ALL the different interpretations that are out there and notice that MOST of them seem to combine in some form with the presiding notion being Maynard's critique of the modern world --- we don't listen and he (albeit humorously) "forgets his pen".

It's a bunch of complex metaphors --- look into it further, especially all of you who are stuck on the "LSD/DXM" (though DXM is an absurd drug to be referenced with this song) kick. That's PART of it. There's more.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 07-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #297
Level 7 - Loquacious

As much as I think 3D's an asshole (and have reminded her of such on various occasions) she IS right.

I mean, to have a whole song that just so happens to be the crux of the album be EXCLUSIVELY about some fucked up guy and his bad trip (in order to remind all those druggies that you can't be enlightened through drugs) is slightly close-minded. If none of you have read paraflux's "Fluxterpation" (it's stickied at the bottom of the forum) then you proabably should.

10,000 Days is about death and (as all the band members have described it) is their "blues" album. To stick something that's purely about the side effects of being retarded, wagging their fingers at "those darn potheads" is not quite "death" or "blues-y" enough for me. It makes infinite more sense if this is a post-modern exposition of Maynard/TOOL's current feelings about the state of the nation/world --- we just don't listen, and when we do, we forget it immediately.

No, Maynard is not a "prophet", but the insight that comes from TOOL's lyrics can be seen as "the details of our ending".

It might help to look at ALL the different interpretations that are out there and notice that MOST of them seem to combine in some form with the presiding notion being Maynard's critique of the modern world --- we don't listen and he (albeit humorously) "forgets his pen".

It's a bunch of complex metaphors --- look into it further, especially all of you who are stuck on the "LSD/DXM" (though DXM is an absurd drug to be referenced with this song) kick. That's PART of it. There's more.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
07-24-2006, 09:02 AM

I don't suggest 3D doesn't see the whole picture...I suggest she see HER whole picture...she is not maynard so I don't believe she is the authority...
Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #298
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't suggest 3D doesn't see the whole picture...I suggest she see HER whole picture...she is not maynard so I don't believe she is the authority...
07-24-2006, 01:27 PM

hahaha, jesus....time for a new thread, hey 3D, why dont you start it again? hahahahaha
Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #299
Level 4 - Thinker

hahaha, jesus....time for a new thread, hey 3D, why dont you start it again? hahahahaha
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
"....the blotter got right on top of me, got me seeing, E mother-fucking T"
Old 07-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #300
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
07-24-2006, 05:15 PM

does anyone take into consideration of what the actual ROSETTA STONE is...wouldn't one consider the pun on the name of the song as a basis to begin your definition of the song<>? Initially I thought the name was just letting you know that it was going to be difficult to de-code or translate. However, after all this time, I believe there is much more to it than that. I believe the title of the song indicates that it is difficult to translate the experience...Rosetta StonED. So yea, he's "stoned" or tripping on LSD or whatever. Yet when he's back to normal, he cannot translate what he has seen, been told or whatever he gathered.....so another theme of the song is that while your trip may hold a great deal of enlightenment and self discovery or even the details of our ending....it doesn't really matter because you are stoned and you won't be able to tell anyone anyway...so is it just a waste>?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #301
Level 7 - Loquacious

does anyone take into consideration of what the actual ROSETTA STONE is...wouldn't one consider the pun on the name of the song as a basis to begin your definition of the song<>? Initially I thought the name was just letting you know that it was going to be difficult to de-code or translate. However, after all this time, I believe there is much more to it than that. I believe the title of the song indicates that it is difficult to translate the experience...Rosetta StonED. So yea, he's "stoned" or tripping on LSD or whatever. Yet when he's back to normal, he cannot translate what he has seen, been told or whatever he gathered.....so another theme of the song is that while your trip may hold a great deal of enlightenment and self discovery or even the details of our ending....it doesn't really matter because you are stoned and you won't be able to tell anyone anyway...so is it just a waste>?
07-24-2006, 05:31 PM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/sto...2A83027AF1010E

" there is no difference between drug-induced mystical experiences and the spontaneous religious ones that believers have reported for centuries. They are "descriptively identical". "
Old 07-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #302
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

" there is no difference between drug-induced mystical experiences and the spontaneous religious ones that believers have reported for centuries. They are "descriptively identical". "
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
07-24-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltgle
"... METAPHOR"

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #303
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltgle
"... METAPHOR"

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
slowmo
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Generalizing, stereotypes.. whatever you want to call it. What's your point? Do you have one?

I haven't become a cliche. It's people like yourself who have always been. Predictable and pathetic.

I'm entitled to things as a human being? Thanks SloMo.

Tool can have an individual meaning to everyone. I've already said that. If they want to be wrong and happy... then so be it. Try reading the entire thread.

and no, the cocky arrogance isn't why Maynard says his fans are way off.

He says they're way off, because they're way off, ya phuck. and you're standing in line.

Maybe you've haven't realized. Maynard is as cocky and as arrogant as anyone. It's from people like you who are WAY OFF.

Maynard is a caring man.. with a lot of passion about society and people.. but he's also very arrogant and becomes frustrated when he thinks about how ignorant people actually are.

So don't talk to me about arrogance, when your hero is as arrogant as anyone.

Crucify the ego..
feeding my narcissism..
Maybe I should play God... kick you, beat you, shoot you in your fucking head
Jesus Christ blind me with your light and your eyes. (his opinion that he backs up with such powerful words!! How dare he)
I've been far too sympathetic
What you want and what you need doesn't mean fuck to me
When you're a stupid, dumbass beligerant fucker.
Fuck all you junkies
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole
Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance

and last, but not least...

Fuck you, buddy.
Well I am thoroughly impressed with your ability (or inability) to miss my points. Bravo poindexter!

You are entitled to your own opinions obviously, but don't force them upon others.
If you want to live your life the way you feel Maynard wants you to, you are entitled to that as well... But please, be open to the possibility that your interpretation may be wrong. I am not saying you are, and I never said you were.

Maynard is not my hero, please don't assume things.

Ever heard the saying "All Indians no chiefs?" How are you to follow someone so blindly you have never met before? I don't live my life by Tool's music, I listen, appreciate, and relish the art created by the band.

If Maynard is your hero, and you want to be exactly like him; great. Maynard maybe a little cocky, a little arrogant, but I doubt he passes judgment like the super-being you portray yourself as.

Be humble my fellow human.

Last edited by slowmo; 07-24-2006 at 09:24 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #304
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Generalizing, stereotypes.. whatever you want to call it. What's your point? Do you have one?

I haven't become a cliche. It's people like yourself who have always been. Predictable and pathetic.

I'm entitled to things as a human being? Thanks SloMo.

Tool can have an individual meaning to everyone. I've already said that. If they want to be wrong and happy... then so be it. Try reading the entire thread.

and no, the cocky arrogance isn't why Maynard says his fans are way off.

He says they're way off, because they're way off, ya phuck. and you're standing in line.

Maybe you've haven't realized. Maynard is as cocky and as arrogant as anyone. It's from people like you who are WAY OFF.

Maynard is a caring man.. with a lot of passion about society and people.. but he's also very arrogant and becomes frustrated when he thinks about how ignorant people actually are.

So don't talk to me about arrogance, when your hero is as arrogant as anyone.

Crucify the ego..
feeding my narcissism..
Maybe I should play God... kick you, beat you, shoot you in your fucking head
Jesus Christ blind me with your light and your eyes. (his opinion that he backs up with such powerful words!! How dare he)
I've been far too sympathetic
What you want and what you need doesn't mean fuck to me
When you're a stupid, dumbass beligerant fucker.
Fuck all you junkies
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole
Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance

and last, but not least...

Fuck you, buddy.
Well I am thoroughly impressed with your ability (or inability) to miss my points. Bravo poindexter!

You are entitled to your own opinions obviously, but don't force them upon others.
If you want to live your life the way you feel Maynard wants you to, you are entitled to that as well... But please, be open to the possibility that your interpretation may be wrong. I am not saying you are, and I never said you were.

Maynard is not my hero, please don't assume things.

Ever heard the saying "All Indians no chiefs?" How are you to follow someone so blindly you have never met before? I don't live my life by Tool's music, I listen, appreciate, and relish the art created by the band.

If Maynard is your hero, and you want to be exactly like him; great. Maynard maybe a little cocky, a little arrogant, but I doubt he passes judgment like the super-being you portray yourself as.

Be humble my fellow human.

Last edited by slowmo; 07-24-2006 at 09:24 PM..
AMF
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM

You guys are a bunch of fucking weirdos hahahaha.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #305
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

You guys are a bunch of fucking weirdos hahahaha.
EmbraceTdOxOmL's Avatar EmbraceTdOxOmL
07-24-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
"You saying that we "dont get it." That is correct.
"Most of us are aware." That is incorrect.

this is a great quote... one question, if i am thinking for myself and questioning authority, but i am unaware that what im thinking is wrong and that really i dont get it, am i still good? because i think i get it, but i am not sure if i am aware of the fact that i really DONT get it. im so confused!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #306
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 136

Quote:
"You saying that we "dont get it." That is correct.
"Most of us are aware." That is incorrect.

this is a great quote... one question, if i am thinking for myself and questioning authority, but i am unaware that what im thinking is wrong and that really i dont get it, am i still good? because i think i get it, but i am not sure if i am aware of the fact that i really DONT get it. im so confused!
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM

It's about Maynard's son Jambi and the givinit rest.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #307
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

It's about Maynard's son Jambi and the givinit rest.
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I took the meaning of the title to be using 'Stoned' as a past tense verb. And stoned meaning the act of stoning someone to death. Pelting them with many large stones and so forth.

Well, the Rosetta Stone was a valuable tool/key to learning much of what we know of ancient civilization. So imagine being pelted with Rosetta Stones, teaching tools, figuratively. All those ideas, all those teachings, all that wisdom and it's bombarding every thought you hold. - also ties in with the title 'lost keys'. The teaching tools squandered. Being absolutely overwhelmed by so much wisdom that the thought of writing it down is not possible.

So even if Maynard is describing something deeper and metaphorically with the climax it still directly parallels a psychedelic-induced mystical experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuguolo

That.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #308
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I took the meaning of the title to be using 'Stoned' as a past tense verb. And stoned meaning the act of stoning someone to death. Pelting them with many large stones and so forth.

Well, the Rosetta Stone was a valuable tool/key to learning much of what we know of ancient civilization. So imagine being pelted with Rosetta Stones, teaching tools, figuratively. All those ideas, all those teachings, all that wisdom and it's bombarding every thought you hold. - also ties in with the title 'lost keys'. The teaching tools squandered. Being absolutely overwhelmed by so much wisdom that the thought of writing it down is not possible.

So even if Maynard is describing something deeper and metaphorically with the climax it still directly parallels a psychedelic-induced mystical experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuguolo

That.

slowmo
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect

Being absolutely overwhelmed by so much wisdom that the thought of writing it down is not possible.

I really agree with your thought about being overwhelmed by wisdom, and not being able to retain it (for some reason).

One part of the song that I am convinced is very important is; E mother fuckin T.(heh) The song has more references to ET and UFOs than any other part of the song. ET has to be in the song for a reason, not just some ambiguous clue.

Could possibly the overwhelming message/wisdom/data be from ET?

Could the song contain some sort of hidden message/puzzle about (or from) ET?

Could this be the explanation of Rosetta Stone(d)? A message about aliens, we need some sort of key to decode?

Last edited by slowmo; 07-24-2006 at 09:41 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #309
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Being absolutely overwhelmed by so much wisdom that the thought of writing it down is not possible.

I really agree with your thought about being overwhelmed by wisdom, and not being able to retain it (for some reason).

One part of the song that I am convinced is very important is; E mother fuckin T.(heh) The song has more references to ET and UFOs than any other part of the song. ET has to be in the song for a reason, not just some ambiguous clue.

Could possibly the overwhelming message/wisdom/data be from ET?

Could the song contain some sort of hidden message/puzzle about (or from) ET?

Could this be the explanation of Rosetta Stone(d)? A message about aliens, we need some sort of key to decode?

Last edited by slowmo; 07-24-2006 at 09:41 PM..
07-24-2006, 10:19 PM

there's always been a correlation between the ancient Egyptians and E-mother-fucking-T's
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #310
Level 7 - Loquacious

there's always been a correlation between the ancient Egyptians and E-mother-fucking-T's
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM

hell yeah, now we are back on track with this thread, i'm seeing some new good interpretations......i can agree with aspects from all of them...in varying degrees of course.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 AM   #311
Level 4 - Thinker

hell yeah, now we are back on track with this thread, i'm seeing some new good interpretations......i can agree with aspects from all of them...in varying degrees of course.
07-25-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Well, the Rosetta Stone was a valuable tool/key to learning much of what we know of ancient civilization.....

Yes, the Stoned could be that...but couldn't it be that AND being in the state of mind of being stoned>? I think its both....

There has always been those that consider that the ancients had connections with EmotherfuckingT's. So, knowing that, and the course of events of the song include alien abduction, and use of 'deadhead' chemistry' don't you think that's more reasonable than being pelted with the rosestta stone itself, which is not mentioned at all>?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #312
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Well, the Rosetta Stone was a valuable tool/key to learning much of what we know of ancient civilization.....

Yes, the Stoned could be that...but couldn't it be that AND being in the state of mind of being stoned>? I think its both....

There has always been those that consider that the ancients had connections with EmotherfuckingT's. So, knowing that, and the course of events of the song include alien abduction, and use of 'deadhead' chemistry' don't you think that's more reasonable than being pelted with the rosestta stone itself, which is not mentioned at all>?
07-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG-MAN
"I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

"I DIG MUSIC......I'M ON DRUGS!"

That is from that movie almost famous isnt it...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #313
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
"I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

"I DIG MUSIC......I'M ON DRUGS!"

07-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:

yup.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #314

Quote:

yup.
07-28-2006, 04:01 AM

You are asking yourself questions, and responding to them as well.

Do you have children?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 AM   #315
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

You are asking yourself questions, and responding to them as well.

Do you have children?
EGG-MAN's Avatar EGG-MAN
07-28-2006, 11:31 AM

i was trying to ease the tension of thread...people were getting way to into it so i thought ide lighten the mood a little. and no i do not have children.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #316

i was trying to ease the tension of thread...people were getting way to into it so i thought ide lighten the mood a little. and no i do not have children.
08-02-2006, 07:34 PM

in that interview with JJJ adam jones said that if people interpret their songs positively, even if they are wrong, then he is fine with it and says "cool, if thats what works for you"

now if a band member knows the meaning of the song
hears a wrong one
and still doesn't force feed the shit out of the listener then i think you can as well 3d

but at the same time i agree with you, especially when you made all those points by displayin some lyrics of maynard being an asshole

i think its unfair how people will accept maynard no matter what and even if he insults them they accept him yet if someone here does it he or she is an asshole when one member of the band can be an unbelievable dick at times even to his fans

so i disagreed with 3d and then i agreed with him and now im tellin all of you another point

i had this quote, which i cant remember right now exactly what was said or who it was said by, but it said that nowadays we have become so "open-minded" that we dont accept "close-minded" people, which isnt really being "open-minded" is it? its a little double standard and a bit hypocritical to be so liberally "open-minded" because ive noticed that all "open-minded" people have a tendency to lean towards liberals, which, whether you like it or not, other people are people too with opinions, and once again, whether you like it or not, they might differ from yours even if they are "unfair" or "just not cool" to you.

shit if someone hates arabs thats his opinion just as much as someone who doesnt care about culture, can it bother you? yeah! it bothers me!

to relate to our current situation:

if 3d wants to insult and not accept your opinions let 3d

you guys are being hypocrits telling 3dthat 3d has to accept other opinions when......you dont accept 3ds as unfair and illogical as it may seem to you.

okay, now i do wanna say sorry because it seems as if things have slightly died down and i dont want to stir it up again, but i read the thread and i got into it and i just wanted these things to be said.

last thing, where is that interview on that fourtheye site? i tried www.fourtheye.com and it didnt work, someone help!!!
^^^Ignore this

Last edited by Lackymacky; 08-02-2006 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: found it (www.fourtheye.NET)
Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #317
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

in that interview with JJJ adam jones said that if people interpret their songs positively, even if they are wrong, then he is fine with it and says "cool, if thats what works for you"

now if a band member knows the meaning of the song
hears a wrong one
and still doesn't force feed the shit out of the listener then i think you can as well 3d

but at the same time i agree with you, especially when you made all those points by displayin some lyrics of maynard being an asshole

i think its unfair how people will accept maynard no matter what and even if he insults them they accept him yet if someone here does it he or she is an asshole when one member of the band can be an unbelievable dick at times even to his fans

so i disagreed with 3d and then i agreed with him and now im tellin all of you another point

i had this quote, which i cant remember right now exactly what was said or who it was said by, but it said that nowadays we have become so "open-minded" that we dont accept "close-minded" people, which isnt really being "open-minded" is it? its a little double standard and a bit hypocritical to be so liberally "open-minded" because ive noticed that all "open-minded" people have a tendency to lean towards liberals, which, whether you like it or not, other people are people too with opinions, and once again, whether you like it or not, they might differ from yours even if they are "unfair" or "just not cool" to you.

shit if someone hates arabs thats his opinion just as much as someone who doesnt care about culture, can it bother you? yeah! it bothers me!

to relate to our current situation:

if 3d wants to insult and not accept your opinions let 3d

you guys are being hypocrits telling 3dthat 3d has to accept other opinions when......you dont accept 3ds as unfair and illogical as it may seem to you.

okay, now i do wanna say sorry because it seems as if things have slightly died down and i dont want to stir it up again, but i read the thread and i got into it and i just wanted these things to be said.

last thing, where is that interview on that fourtheye site? i tried www.fourtheye.com and it didnt work, someone help!!!
^^^Ignore this

Last edited by Lackymacky; 08-02-2006 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: found it (www.fourtheye.NET)
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 01:59 PM

None of those examples of "Maynard being an asshole" we're from Lateralus onward, except "I must crucify the ego" which isn't even close to an appropriate example though.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #318
Level 7 - Loquacious

None of those examples of "Maynard being an asshole" we're from Lateralus onward, except "I must crucify the ego" which isn't even close to an appropriate example though.
08-04-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:

"Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism."

probably the most telling of all the "examples"....

I thought that was on Lateralus.... it must've been on Opiate!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #319
On Probation

Quote:

"Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism."

probably the most telling of all the "examples"....

I thought that was on Lateralus.... it must've been on Opiate!
08-04-2006, 04:23 PM

Isn't "being an asshole" subject to one's interpretation. If you consider being intelligent and opionated as being such, then yea, the guy's an asshole. Intelligent people tend to be a little arrogant, and I think that's ok. Again, because its a relative term....but I do think Maynard has humbled himself....and as you get older and wiser, thats what happens.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #320
Level 7 - Loquacious

Isn't "being an asshole" subject to one's interpretation. If you consider being intelligent and opionated as being such, then yea, the guy's an asshole. Intelligent people tend to be a little arrogant, and I think that's ok. Again, because its a relative term....but I do think Maynard has humbled himself....and as you get older and wiser, thats what happens.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply