opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 03. The Patient
User Name
Password
Old 09-05-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Semi-unrequited love

Hey guys, this is my first post on these boards, just wanted to get out my interpretation.

The thing I love about Tool's lyrics is how easy it is for my own situations to click so nicely with the themes in their songs. So, even though this probably isn't the stance Maynard took when originally writing the lyrics, I take comfort with this song by assigning my own personal meaning.

I never really paid this song much attention, there being so many other worthy diversions on Lateralus... but ever since I took a closer listen/look at the lyrics, it's suddenly become one of my favorites.

There's a girl I work with who I have great rapport with... there's basically an inside joke running through the whole staff that we've got the hots for each other, and what a great match we are, blah blah blah. Anyway, the problem is that she's got a boyfriend. They're pretty much staying together out of habit, and I occasionally hear her on the phone on her breaks getting in little fights that he starts. It's obviously frustrating for me, seeing all this potential, yet being trapped behind this threshold that I'm powerless to break through.

And that's where I'm coming from with The Patient. The lyrics speak to me about waiting for this amazing opportunity of a woman to make her own choice to leave this douche bag for a much studlier Tool fan such as myself :)

Anyway, like I said... obviously not the lyrics' original intent, but if you re-read them from my perspective, you can see where my comfort comes from. This song is like a reassuring mantra for myself when I'm at work, watching the sparks fly, yet holding myself back.

Gonna wait it out...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Semi-unrequited love

Just find him and kill him.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: