Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
couldbe
07-22-2006, 11:30 AM

I haven't seen this thought, but maybe it's both. As in.. during a drug induced haze is when/how these aliens decide to present themselves. I have had a similar experience to this whilst only on weed mind you (it being laced is still a possibility but I still am not sure to this day, with a sidenote that i've done much harder drugs and never felt the way i did that time only on weed). I still question the entire experience as possibly being real, much like the song interperates. Quite hard talking about it still to this day and no doubt the possible flaming won't help anything but oh well.

Has anyone else experienced such things drug induced or not?

Also a couple of random thoughts that I haven't seen anywhere else

I also see a Messianic complex in this song which is described in wikipedia as "Messianic complex is a psychological state in which the individual believes him/herself to be, or is destined to become, the saviour of the world."

which, someone may have to correct me, is very common in drug use and/or psychological disorders.

And lastly to the contradicition I see in the beginning of the lyrics...

He says he is at his post at "area 51" correct? Then why would he "never expect to see it in a place like this" that being a ufo... doesn't make sense
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Maybe it's not aliens OR a trip..

I haven't seen this thought, but maybe it's both. As in.. during a drug induced haze is when/how these aliens decide to present themselves. I have had a similar experience to this whilst only on weed mind you (it being laced is still a possibility but I still am not sure to this day, with a sidenote that i've done much harder drugs and never felt the way i did that time only on weed). I still question the entire experience as possibly being real, much like the song interperates. Quite hard talking about it still to this day and no doubt the possible flaming won't help anything but oh well.

Has anyone else experienced such things drug induced or not?

Also a couple of random thoughts that I haven't seen anywhere else

I also see a Messianic complex in this song which is described in wikipedia as "Messianic complex is a psychological state in which the individual believes him/herself to be, or is destined to become, the saviour of the world."

which, someone may have to correct me, is very common in drug use and/or psychological disorders.

He says he is at his post at "area 51" correct? Then why would he "never expect to see it in a place like this" that being a ufo... doesn't make sense
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
07-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldbe

First...

YES, Messianic complex... agreed. Think that Maynard could be "the one"?

Second...

it's a FLAMING STEALTH BANANA (who expects to see THAT?) and if you look at another interpretation of the lyrics (that work a little better), he's not saying "split the sky like wide open; never expect to see in a place like this" he's saying something along the lines of "split the sky like one would hope, but never expect, to see in a place like this". So it's not really a condtradiction.

BUT, if it where, I'm sure we can forgive the poor guy, he's kind of fucked up on some "Deadhead chemistry".
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Maybe it's not aliens OR a trip..

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldbe

First...

YES, Messianic complex... agreed. Think that Maynard could be "the one"?

Second...

it's a FLAMING STEALTH BANANA (who expects to see THAT?) and if you look at another interpretation of the lyrics (that work a little better), he's not saying "split the sky like wide open; never expect to see in a place like this" he's saying something along the lines of "split the sky like one would hope, but never expect, to see in a place like this". So it's not really a condtradiction.

BUT, if it where, I'm sure we can forgive the poor guy, he's kind of fucked up on some "Deadhead chemistry".
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
07-23-2006, 07:38 PM

i think "place like this" didn't mean area 51 itself, it means him, sitting at his need-to-know post. like, you aren't supposed to see aliens and crazy shit when you're a security guard.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

i think "place like this" didn't mean area 51 itself, it means him, sitting at his need-to-know post. like, you aren't supposed to see aliens and crazy shit when you're a security guard.
07-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy

This guy could be on to something... the last track in Lateralus has a crazy character raving about being medically discharged from area 51... wouldn't it be safe to assume that this is the same character, only 5 years more enlightened?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 791

Quote:

This guy could be on to something... the last track in Lateralus has a crazy character raving about being medically discharged from area 51... wouldn't it be safe to assume that this is the same character, only 5 years more enlightened?
07-23-2006, 11:50 PM

Well, the clip from the end of Lateralus was just a prank call to a radio show.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

But I definately agree with the trip + alien idea.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

But I definately agree with the trip + alien idea.
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
07-24-2006, 01:34 AM

Well, considering Adam said in an interview that it's about a trip, i'm going with the trip theory.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #6
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

Well, considering Adam said in an interview that it's about a trip, i'm going with the trip theory.
07-24-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman

No, your right. Also, the satelite carrying the feed during the call cut out half way through.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman

No, your right. Also, the satelite carrying the feed during the call cut out half way through.
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
07-24-2006, 02:14 PM

sounds like a feasible trip to me, i mean the whole song is surrounded by giving a message of warning to the people of earth. but for anyone who has done good acid, knows concentrating on one idea alone is pretty much the hardest thing ever. even the most important message could be forgotten.

the irony is "but i forgot my pen" prolly is something one of the band members could be quoted for saying during a psychedelic escapade.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

sounds like a feasible trip to me, i mean the whole song is surrounded by giving a message of warning to the people of earth. but for anyone who has done good acid, knows concentrating on one idea alone is pretty much the hardest thing ever. even the most important message could be forgotten.

the irony is "but i forgot my pen" prolly is something one of the band members could be quoted for saying during a psychedelic escapade.
LetGoLetgoLetGo's Avatar LetGoLetgoLetGo
07-25-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Yeah. It all sounds a little fishy to me. Some guy calls Art Bell's show and tells a story about Area 51. Radio feed gets "lost". Guy calls back to say that it was a joke.

To me, that equates to: A dude called and told about an experience. Someone with an "eye" on the caller hears this call. Has the station shut off temporarily. Caller's life threatened if he doesnt call back to "admit" hoax to dismiss "conspiracy theorists". Etc, etc, etc.....................

The whole shit is whacky. A little frightening.

Check this: http://www.metatech.org/Art_Bell_Area_51_aliens_audio_tape.html

About 2/3 the way down you can read this:
"An important new book "Secret, Don't Tell: The Encyclopedia of Hypnotism" by Carla Emery (www.hypnotism.org) gives many stories, some from court proceedings, which prove that the 'bad guys' can easily get 10% of the population to do anything they want, purely through hypnosis. The other 90% can be hypnotised once they have been given a drug, for example in orange juice."

Give that last sentence another read.....VEEERRRYY interesting. "Sunkist and Sudafed". "Looked right through me, with somniferous almond eyes".

Wow. Im reading this as Im typing this reply and I am quite shocked......

For your enjoyment: http://www.metatech.org/Art%20Bell%20Area%2051%20Call.mp3

Thats the call.....creepy....fucking creepy.

This deserves its own thread : "Rosetta Stoned vs. Faaip de Oiad". Someone do it. Do it. I think there is plenty discussion ahead regarding this topic.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Yeah. It all sounds a little fishy to me. Some guy calls Art Bell's show and tells a story about Area 51. Radio feed gets "lost". Guy calls back to say that it was a joke.

To me, that equates to: A dude called and told about an experience. Someone with an "eye" on the caller hears this call. Has the station shut off temporarily. Caller's life threatened if he doesnt call back to "admit" hoax to dismiss "conspiracy theorists". Etc, etc, etc.....................

The whole shit is whacky. A little frightening.

Check this: http://www.metatech.org/Art_Bell_Area_51_aliens_audio_tape.html

About 2/3 the way down you can read this:
"An important new book "Secret, Don't Tell: The Encyclopedia of Hypnotism" by Carla Emery (www.hypnotism.org) gives many stories, some from court proceedings, which prove that the 'bad guys' can easily get 10% of the population to do anything they want, purely through hypnosis. The other 90% can be hypnotised once they have been given a drug, for example in orange juice."

Give that last sentence another read.....VEEERRRYY interesting. "Sunkist and Sudafed". "Looked right through me, with somniferous almond eyes".

Wow. Im reading this as Im typing this reply and I am quite shocked......

For your enjoyment: http://www.metatech.org/Art%20Bell%20Area%2051%20Call.mp3

Thats the call.....creepy....fucking creepy.

This deserves its own thread : "Rosetta Stoned vs. Faaip de Oiad". Someone do it. Do it. I think there is plenty discussion ahead regarding this topic.
LetGoLetgoLetGo's Avatar LetGoLetgoLetGo
07-28-2006, 04:00 AM

This topic needs more input.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

This topic needs more input.
Shauncy
07-30-2006, 11:06 PM

Well going by the lyrics the man claims he did not even graduate high school, which would rule out a position security detail at area 51 (this is area 51, not Mall Security). To achieve such a postion you must have some standing with the military. Based on such a position no ordinary recruit could advance that high (no high school drop out turned military) rather an ROTC graduate or better (a highschool degree is necessary).

Then there are lyrics such as

"Will I ever be coming down?
This is so real
Finally, it's my lucky day
See, my heart is racing"

Anyone that has done any drug can attest that an increased heart rate is faily standard. And when it gets really bad you want to come down.

And as for shitting the bed...well that has been hilariously portrayed in Trainspotting.

Then again i could be wrong, I really like how its open to interpretation and there is a strong arguement for that also.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Well going by the lyrics the man claims he did not even graduate high school, which would rule out a position security detail at area 51 (this is area 51, not Mall Security). To achieve such a postion you must have some standing with the military. Based on such a position no ordinary recruit could advance that high (no high school drop out turned military) rather an ROTC graduate or better (a highschool degree is necessary).

Then there are lyrics such as

"Will I ever be coming down?
This is so real
Finally, it's my lucky day
See, my heart is racing"

Anyone that has done any drug can attest that an increased heart rate is faily standard. And when it gets really bad you want to come down.

And as for shitting the bed...well that has been hilariously portrayed in Trainspotting.

Then again i could be wrong, I really like how its open to interpretation and there is a strong arguement for that also.
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
07-30-2006, 11:34 PM

I think this is a result of an INTENTSE trip. Anyone who's read up about/into trip reports regarding shrooms/acid, i have no doubt you have seen the INSANE trips, beyond the normal, where its more of an outer body experience than a "trip" like seeing shape shifting and kaleidoscoping. I think this is one of those rare, "this kinda shit never happens to ME on trips" trips.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

I think this is a result of an INTENTSE trip. Anyone who's read up about/into trip reports regarding shrooms/acid, i have no doubt you have seen the INSANE trips, beyond the normal, where its more of an outer body experience than a "trip" like seeing shape shifting and kaleidoscoping. I think this is one of those rare, "this kinda shit never happens to ME on trips" trips.
somniferous's Avatar somniferous
07-31-2006, 05:55 AM

you gotta listen to the first line of the whole song....."alrighty then, think of this as you will".....theres your answer
Old 07-31-2006, 05:55 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

you gotta listen to the first line of the whole song....."alrighty then, think of this as you will".....theres your answer
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somniferous
Alrighty then. PICTURE this if you will. And either way, I dont get what you are saying. That its just something to "think" about?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by somniferous
Alrighty then. PICTURE this if you will. And either way, I dont get what you are saying. That its just something to "think" about?
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM

alright, i fucked it up....jesus...i was just saying you can picture the whole thing anyway you want...simple pointless point i was throwing out there
Old 07-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

alright, i fucked it up....jesus...i was just saying you can picture the whole thing anyway you want...simple pointless point i was throwing out there
07-31-2006, 05:18 PM

You have a valid point. But speculation can be fun.

;)
Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

You have a valid point. But speculation can be fun.

;)
08-01-2006, 05:03 AM

agreed! haha
Old 08-01-2006, 05:03 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

agreed! haha
08-01-2006, 05:04 AM

what sucks is, i fucked the lyrics up in three different posts.....im an idiot
Old 08-01-2006, 05:04 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

what sucks is, i fucked the lyrics up in three different posts.....im an idiot
08-05-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Hey, I know I'm a little late in this thread, but I do believe that when he says he's at his "need to know post," we first need to define the phrase.

First off, it's a post, or an area he was placed in for a specific reason or chose to be in for a specific reason. It seems that if he didn't graduate high school though, he wouldn't even be employed anywhere.

But, secondly, the type of post is apparently a "need to know" type of post. This is where I find the senstence is most vulnerable to subjectivity. If you ask me though, this brings me back to my time spent in the service. There are objects, areas and information that you either do, or do not have a "need to know" about. This is anything that is classified at any level. Enough said.

This means to me that he has a need to know, and apparently has priveledged access to something. I think this is what he apparently "didn't expect to see."

Then again, personally, I feel he is calling it this because he wants to portray someone who feels that they NEED to know about something.

I have more to write, but I will wait. I think this particular verse needs more thought.... Why do I think more when I type this stuff?

Last edited by spiralspinalcord; 08-05-2006 at 07:34 PM..
Old 08-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Hey, I know I'm a little late in this thread, but I do believe that when he says he's at his "need to know post," we first need to define the phrase.

First off, it's a post, or an area he was placed in for a specific reason or chose to be in for a specific reason. It seems that if he didn't graduate high school though, he wouldn't even be employed anywhere.

But, secondly, the type of post is apparently a "need to know" type of post. This is where I find the senstence is most vulnerable to subjectivity. If you ask me though, this brings me back to my time spent in the service. There are objects, areas and information that you either do, or do not have a "need to know" about. This is anything that is classified at any level. Enough said.

This means to me that he has a need to know, and apparently has priveledged access to something. I think this is what he apparently "didn't expect to see."

Then again, personally, I feel he is calling it this because he wants to portray someone who feels that they NEED to know about something.

I have more to write, but I will wait. I think this particular verse needs more thought.... Why do I think more when I type this stuff?

Last edited by spiralspinalcord; 08-05-2006 at 07:34 PM..
haloslippingdown's Avatar haloslippingdown
08-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one and nobody
The person in the song is actually one of Tool's friends, tripping out. A few months back my wife and I saw Alex Grey, the artist who has worked on many Tool projects--and the artwork for 10,000 Days. He told us all that this was an actual story of the guys' friend who was out by Area 51. He was tripping and he had those visions. When he woke up he said that he had shit his sleeping bag. :)

BTW--Alexy Grey is awesome. What an amazing experience to meet him--he's in the picture in my profile. :)
Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one and nobody
The person in the song is actually one of Tool's friends, tripping out. A few months back my wife and I saw Alex Grey, the artist who has worked on many Tool projects--and the artwork for 10,000 Days. He told us all that this was an actual story of the guys' friend who was out by Area 51. He was tripping and he had those visions. When he woke up he said that he had shit his sleeping bag. :)

BTW--Alexy Grey is awesome. What an amazing experience to meet him--he's in the picture in my profile. :)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply