opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #81
Dynamite

Bincount™: 11
Re: Age, please?

But good.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #82
Dynamite

Fuck this.....three pages of shit.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #83
Dynamite

We should bump a few good pieces and let this ship sink.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #84
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 456

You've been here since January and you're just barely realizing the people who come here are weird?

That's weird.

Hweird.

Lol.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #85
Dynamite

Are you calling me weird, bitch?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #86
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh-Cheri View Post
We should bump a few good pieces and let this ship sink.
captain ron agrees.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

Lol.

Yeah, this thread deserves to die.

Last edited by Strewth; 01-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Unfortunately, it's the only active thread right now, and I'm too lazy to find something worthwhile.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #88
a vampire, a lycan

Bincount™: 2264

éIó«Yƒáóª‰Ð‰â‹K.

thats how i feel right now.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #89
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

If you are going to respond selfishly to other posts, that is to take offense and assume unjust intent, then that's all your going to see, a useless thread.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #90
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboulia View Post
The Gender Similarities Hypothesis
http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/amp606581.pdf

New research into the prescripted nature of gender-identity reveals a complex interplay between genetics and environment resulting in structural differences in the brains of human adults. These structural differences may result from learned patterns of behaviour.
Result 'from' or result 'in'?

edit - I didn't find the above claim anywhere in the paper you cited, which is why I'm asking. Regardless of whether you meant to say 'from' or 'in', it doesn't seem like a very sound claim, given what we know about inherited traits.

Last edited by ColdLogic; 01-08-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #91
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

oh you n00bz are so silly, kinda cute like lil puppies battling out supremacy like that puppy link in the bin...oh wait lolz you's
Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Did you hear that?

That sound?

It was very quiet, you might have missed it...

Do you know what it was?

It was my heart breaking.

loljk
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #93
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLogic View Post
Result 'from' or result 'in'?

edit - I didn't find the above claim anywhere in the paper you cited, which is why I'm asking. Regardless of whether you meant to say 'from' or 'in', it doesn't seem like a very sound claim, given what we know about inherited traits.
Structural changes occur in the brains of all animals. Approximated at 100 billion weight adjustments per day.

I had an article that discussed the role of androgens and experience in structural changes in different sexes. But I can't find it now

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/8/4398.full
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #94
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Structural changes occur in the brains of all animals. Approximated at 100 billion weight adjustments per day.

I had an article that discussed the role of androgens and experience in structural changes in different sexes. But I can't find it now

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/8/4398.full

I don't doubt it. I'm trying to connect the dots between that and the interplay between genetics and environment, which I took to be a reference to natural selection.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I don't doubt it. I'm trying to connect the dots between that and the interplay between genetics and environment, which I took to be a reference to natural selection.
Ho, no! That's not what I meant. I just meant that what we consider to be "Womanish" or "Manish" is part genetic predisposition, but also a huge part social norms.

The more a guy is encouraged to rough-house as a child, the more natural the behaviour becomes as his brain is plastic and wired to such behaviour. The same can apply to traditionally female patterns of behaviour.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #96
Level 10 - Vehement

Meh maybe. On the one hand, I don't think that's saying much, certainly nothing that could be described as cutting edge in the world of genetics or pop psychology. And on the other hand, I'm more inclined to say that it is all genetic predisposition, and the effects of encouragement/discouragement of that kind of behavior are largely illusionary.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #97
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Meh maybe. On the one hand, I don't think that's saying much, certainly nothing that could be described as cutting edge in the world of genetics or pop psychology. And on the other hand, I'm more inclined to say that it is all genetic predisposition, and the effects of encouragement/discouragement of that kind of behavior are largely illusionary.

Illusory? They have been demonstrated in controlled testing.

Stereotype Threat itself is a determinant of behavior and in the particular test scenario, Asian Women performed above or below average as a result of different stereotype primers. Observer Expectancy effect/Pygmallion effect/Rosenthal effect is pretty solid science. So is Pavlovian Conditioning, Hebb's Law and the neuroscientific equivelent Long-Term Potentiation.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #98
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Illusory? They have been demonstrated in controlled testing.

Stereotype Threat itself is a determinant of behavior and in the particular test scenario, Asian Women performed above or below average as a result of different stereotype primers. Observer Expectancy effect/Pygmallion effect/Rosenthal effect is pretty solid science. So is Pavlovian Conditioning, Hebb's Law and the neuroscientific equivelent Long-Term Potentiation.
Eh I think we're largely in agreement and might be talking past each other. My last line was admittedly an over-zealous use of 'illusory' to emphasize that the dichotomy of genes or memes might be a false one. I had to look up Rosenthal, but from my understanding of stereotype threat and observer-expectation bias I don't think they refute a gene-centered view of sexual behavior. It's not entirely clear to me that such behavior is meme-driven. That memes can spread (by whatever means) is tempting and probably true, but their influence over behavior still must reduce to the genetic policies encoded in our brain.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #99
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Eh I think we're largely in agreement and might be talking past each other. My last line was admittedly an over-zealous use of 'illusory' to emphasize that the dichotomy of genes or memes might be a false one. I had to look up Rosenthal, but from my understanding of stereotype threat and observer-expectation bias I don't think they refute a gene-centered view of sexual behavior. It's not entirely clear to me that such behavior is meme-driven. That memes can spread (by whatever means) is tempting and probably true, but their influence over behavior still must reduce to the genetic policies encoded in our brain.
Well, I'm not going to defend memes in regards to gender-typing. I'm much more attuned to Ecological Systems Theory.

Quote:
Ecological Systems Theory, also called "Development in Context" or "Human Ecology" theory, specifies four types of nested environmental systems, with bi-directional influences within and between the systems. The theory was developed by Urie Bronfenbrenner, generally regarded as one of the world's leading scholars in the field of developmental psychology.
The four systems:
Microsystem: Immediate environments (family, school, peer group, neighborhood, and childcare environments)
Mesosystem: A system comprising connections between immediate environments (i.e., a child’s home and school)
Exosystem: External environmental settings which only indirectly affect development (such as parent's workplace)
Macrosystem: The larger cultural context (Eastern vs. Western culture, national economy, political culture, subculture)
Later, a fifth system was added:
Chronosystem: The patterning of environmental events and transitions over the course of life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_systems_theory
I think it is probably the case that the genetics determine some basic behavioural propensities. Inclinations to perform sexual behaviour and to whatever extent we are each equipped with certain receptors. But I don't know that structural differences are actually the result of raw genetics. For example they say that the splenium (corpus callosum) is larger in women. But this could just as easily be due to a lifetime of living in dichotomous society. These genetics propensities would create an almost ubiquitous dichotomy across the planet, such that in general females would be submissive, nurturing, etc... but I also think that the reason cultures differ in this respect so much is the sheer adaptability of the brain. It would also explain the differences within sexes and would be a cost-effective solution for evolution. The brain itself is not that cose-effective. Other species have different gender roles, lions as an example. We share a common ancestry with two living species, Chimpanzees and Bonobos. The social dynamics, gender-roles and mating habits of these two species are drastically different. Males dominate chimpanzees, but females pack together and dominate in bonobo societies. A female bonobo will murder a male bonobo for avoiding sex. So it is difficult to draw a strict paradigm simply from our evolutionary ancestry.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #100
Up From The Skies

blocks of text
bustin through
like a t-rex

flex
hold it down
jump back

flap jacks
rack em up
sip it
Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #101
Level 10 - Vehement

Strewth is gone, and that's unsettling.
I found the few posts of hers that I had read to be quite capable. Sarcasm doesn't warrant a global ignore imo.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #102
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Strewth is gone, and that's unsettling.
I found the few posts of hers that I had read to be quite capable. Sarcasm doesn't warrant a global ignore imo.
I don't get it.

TBH few people said anything here that makes sense to me.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #103
Up From The Skies

Same can be said about you, TBH.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #104
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
Same can be said about you, TBH.
It might have something to do with the icepick in my brain.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #105
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
blocks of text
bustin through
like a t-rex

flex
hold it down
jump back

flap jacks
rack em up
sip it
blocks of text bustin through like a t-rex

now that got my attention, that's some good readings and for some reason i feel like a pancake rack em up and a sip the maple syrup
'cause i'm a lumberjack and...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: