Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
nev tickner
03-02-2007, 05:24 AM

I believe Mickey and Candice's explanation of who Judith Marie was and how she was the inspiration behind the lyrics and that is a truly beautiful tribute to the author's mother.
But the poet often writes in ways that suggest other things for other people, an ambiguous string of sentimentality that allows for subliminal interpretation. 10,000 days was the accepted title for the Vietnam war and the words suggested to me from the outset, in a way this song could be about the decision to end the war: "ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, your going home".

It speaks of how important a role in American life, from the begining, it's services have played:
"Oh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they going to do when the rivers overrun.
Other than tremble incessantly?"

It speaks of the debt America owes its service men and women, the respect and honour due to those who sacrifice themselves for the country and its collective beliefs. And that's not just Vietnam, but all those who served and are still serving. In a very religious sense, the reward for their trial, like the crucifixion, is proposed in the words:
You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the Spirit, the Son, and the Father.
Tell Them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

I know what I feel might be hard to comprehend for anyone but Veterans, but in many ways I took comfort from my interpretation, despite knowing it was just my fantasy.

However, I love that someone researched the truth behind the lyrics, thank you, thank you. It's a beautiful story of someone's personal love and respect, and demonstrates yet again, the genius of Tool's musical creativity, humanity and genius.

Nev from Australia, 61 year old fan
Old 03-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
vietnam the 10,000 day war

I believe Mickey and Candice's explanation of who Judith Marie was and how she was the inspiration behind the lyrics and that is a truly beautiful tribute to the author's mother.
But the poet often writes in ways that suggest other things for other people, an ambiguous string of sentimentality that allows for subliminal interpretation. 10,000 days was the accepted title for the Vietnam war and the words suggested to me from the outset, in a way this song could be about the decision to end the war: "ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, your going home".

It speaks of how important a role in American life, from the begining, it's services have played:
"Oh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they going to do when the rivers overrun.
Other than tremble incessantly?"

It speaks of the debt America owes its service men and women, the respect and honour due to those who sacrifice themselves for the country and its collective beliefs. And that's not just Vietnam, but all those who served and are still serving. In a very religious sense, the reward for their trial, like the crucifixion, is proposed in the words:
You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the Spirit, the Son, and the Father.
Tell Them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

I know what I feel might be hard to comprehend for anyone but Veterans, but in many ways I took comfort from my interpretation, despite knowing it was just my fantasy.

However, I love that someone researched the truth behind the lyrics, thank you, thank you. It's a beautiful story of someone's personal love and respect, and demonstrates yet again, the genius of Tool's musical creativity, humanity and genius.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
RiseToYourHalo's Avatar RiseToYourHalo
03-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev tickner View Post
Who are Mickey and Candice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev tickner
61? Jesus Christ I thought I was old :)

That's cool though. I rocked out with Frank and Loretta, both aged 68, who were seated in front of me at my last Tool show.

Last edited by RiseToYourHalo; 03-04-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13
Re: vietnam the 10,000 day war

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev tickner View Post
Who are Mickey and Candice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev tickner
61? Jesus Christ I thought I was old :)

That's cool though. I rocked out with Frank and Loretta, both aged 68, who were seated in front of me at my last Tool show.

Last edited by RiseToYourHalo; 03-04-2007 at 06:40 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply