Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
comfortably_numb
05-03-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
I AM unique. I listen to tool. My intellectual penis is HUGE because of it.
:)
Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 10,000 days doesn't seem like tool

Quote:
:)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
guitarpete987
05-03-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
We are the audience, the fans, the money.

We are the ones who buried Metallica when they started sucking, and we are here to warn TooL that if 10000 Days is the best they can do after 5 years, then you will end up with a legacy just like that joke Metallica.
This board is hardly a microcosm of the real world. Let's just remember that.

Everyone I know in person who has purchased the album is quite fond of it. It's not everyone's favorite just yet, but why should it be? They just got it! I was in denial about Lateralus for about 3 months. And I don't love the new album as a favorite just yet. But this disrespect and saying Tool failed and all these dismissals of the band as no longer relevant and all that shit are really sooooo impetuous.

And I don't care how well people think they can judge a good album even after a month's listen, how good their supposed first-instinct is, it's just not possible to fully realize an album's worth after such a short amount of time. More than a few of my favorite albums didn't become such until several months later. And I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying no one is that good. And if you have that big of a head, well, I wouldn't trust your opinion anyway.

You can't grow to love anything, as someone else put it. I know this guy who's been trying to brainwash me into liking Godsmack and Crossfade every time I go over to his place. Sorry, not going to happen. I'm not trying to bash your opinion of the album, you're entitled to it, but the idea that you can learn to love anything just by hearing it long enough is total shit.

It's not wrong to dislike it, but in my opinion it is wrong to dismiss it based solely on how you feel it stands up to past works and to tell others to not even bother because you think it is shit.

And not all of this is directed at the poster I quoted. Only the first line I wrote, actually.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

We are the ones who buried Metallica when they started sucking, and we are here to warn TooL that if 10000 Days is the best they can do after 5 years, then you will end up with a legacy just like that joke Metallica.

Everyone I know in person who has purchased the album is quite fond of it. It's not everyone's favorite just yet, but why should it be? They just got it! I was in denial about Lateralus for about 3 months. And I don't love the new album as a favorite just yet. But this disrespect and saying Tool failed and all these dismissals of the band as no longer relevant and all that shit are really sooooo impetuous.

And I don't care how well people think they can judge a good album even after a month's listen, how good their supposed first-instinct is, it's just not possible to fully realize an album's worth after such a short amount of time. More than a few of my favorite albums didn't become such until several months later. And I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying no one is that good. And if you have that big of a head, well, I wouldn't trust your opinion anyway.

You can't grow to love anything, as someone else put it. I know this guy who's been trying to brainwash me into liking Godsmack and Crossfade every time I go over to his place. Sorry, not going to happen. I'm not trying to bash your opinion of the album, you're entitled to it, but the idea that you can learn to love anything just by hearing it long enough is total shit.

It's not wrong to dislike it, but in my opinion it is wrong to dismiss it based solely on how you feel it stands up to past works and to tell others to not even bother because you think it is shit.

And not all of this is directed at the poster I quoted. Only the first line I wrote, actually.
intoxic8
05-03-2006, 07:17 AM

i think there is a secret locked up in viginti tres... you hear the part when he says 'THE SYSTEMMMMMM' ... i bet it continues to exaplain how this is actually a system of a down album which SOAD had to release in TOOL's name coz SOAD's label wouldnt let them have creative control and so had to release mesmerize/hypnotize, the Nu TOOL album 6/6/06!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!1111 - just a theory
Old 05-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

i think there is a secret locked up in viginti tres... you hear the part when he says 'THE SYSTEMMMMMM' ... i bet it continues to exaplain how this is actually a system of a down album which SOAD had to release in TOOL's name coz SOAD's label wouldnt let them have creative control and so had to release mesmerize/hypnotize, the Nu TOOL album 6/6/06!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!1111 - just a theory
montsegur
05-03-2006, 07:22 AM

oh shit Blair just posted this:

Bilboran
Out 6.6.2006.
Belive
Old 05-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bilboran
Out 6.6.2006.
Belive
05-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I have a penis too.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
I have a penis too.
05-03-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987

Sorry buddy, but the best way to describe this album is the joke I heard yesterday...
And in other music news, Tool fans eager for a new release to the band's 2001 masterwork Lateralis got their hands on the first new album in five year today as the band released Caress of Steel, I mean, Coda, I mean, Adore, I mean, Lullabies to Paralyze, I mean, 10,000 days.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Sorry buddy, but the best way to describe this album is the joke I heard yesterday...
And in other music news, Tool fans eager for a new release to the band's 2001 masterwork Lateralis got their hands on the first new album in five year today as the band released Caress of Steel, I mean, Coda, I mean, Adore, I mean, Lullabies to Paralyze, I mean, 10,000 days.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-03-2006, 08:00 AM

What's Lateralis? Is it better than Lateralus, oh fuck please say it is.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #47
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

What's Lateralis? Is it better than Lateralus, oh fuck please say it is.
05-03-2006, 08:58 AM

Honestly I think its a good album, The first time I heard it it wasnt what I expected so I was like fuck. MY wife felt the same way too, but after just listening to the album open minded just one more time (second time), without doing something other then listening (or maybe drawing , thats a good way to listen to tool) I started to really like it. It wasnt what I expected but it seemed to change from Lateralus a bit as I have changed since i first heard it, its more mature and into the real world, rather then taking tons of hits of acid and considering the existence of god.

Another thing to consider is how old where most of you guys who say
it didnt change you as much as Lateralus, when you first heard it ? (Lateralus)

Shit I was probably 16, and I was way more vulernable, and more easily lead to follow the media, and honeslty Lateralus is easy listening, the reason its considered so epic is because you can dig deep in it, but you dont have to, to enjoy it.

with 10k days you expect it to just instantly be easy listening, well im sorry that this record wasnt engineered to your grandmothers taste in music, or your 13 year old brothers, if you dont like it, take it back, give it a try again in 4 years, I think you may see more in this album then.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Honestly I think its a good album, The first time I heard it it wasnt what I expected so I was like fuck. MY wife felt the same way too, but after just listening to the album open minded just one more time (second time), without doing something other then listening (or maybe drawing , thats a good way to listen to tool) I started to really like it. It wasnt what I expected but it seemed to change from Lateralus a bit as I have changed since i first heard it, its more mature and into the real world, rather then taking tons of hits of acid and considering the existence of god.

Another thing to consider is how old where most of you guys who say
it didnt change you as much as Lateralus, when you first heard it ? (Lateralus)

Shit I was probably 16, and I was way more vulernable, and more easily lead to follow the media, and honeslty Lateralus is easy listening, the reason its considered so epic is because you can dig deep in it, but you dont have to, to enjoy it.

with 10k days you expect it to just instantly be easy listening, well im sorry that this record wasnt engineered to your grandmothers taste in music, or your 13 year old brothers, if you dont like it, take it back, give it a try again in 4 years, I think you may see more in this album then.
facelessDrone
05-03-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsegur

Bilboran
Out 6.6.2006.
Belive
WTF?
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 05-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsegur

Bilboran
Out 6.6.2006.
Belive
WTF?
sje1978
05-03-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender59
With 10k days you expect it to just instantly be easy listening, well im sorry that this record wasnt engineered to your grandmothers taste in music, or your 13 year old brothers, if you dont like it, take it back, give it a try again in 4 years, I think you may see more in this album then.
I couldnt agree more. For me listening to a tool album is about experience and that experience becomes more meaningful each time you listen to that Album because you understand more about it. Don't give up after one listen just because it was not up to your expectations.

--Clever got me this far then tricky got me in.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender59
With 10k days you expect it to just instantly be easy listening, well im sorry that this record wasnt engineered to your grandmothers taste in music, or your 13 year old brothers, if you dont like it, take it back, give it a try again in 4 years, I think you may see more in this album then.
I couldnt agree more. For me listening to a tool album is about experience and that experience becomes more meaningful each time you listen to that Album because you understand more about it. Don't give up after one listen just because it was not up to your expectations.

--Clever got me this far then tricky got me in.
Helicon's Avatar Helicon
05-03-2006, 09:19 AM

Apart from the last track I think its great. Alot of shit gets released every week and if only some of it was only as half as good as the new Tool album..
Old 05-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Apart from the last track I think its great. Alot of shit gets released every week and if only some of it was only as half as good as the new Tool album..
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK
Yes I agree I thought I was the only one. Also 10,000 days sounds a bit like system of a down and that’s a bad thing
System of a Down owns. They're no Tool, but that is an unfair comment.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK
Yes I agree I thought I was the only one. Also 10,000 days sounds a bit like system of a down and that’s a bad thing
System of a Down owns. They're no Tool, but that is an unfair comment.
guitarpete987
05-03-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar209
Two things:

If you heard that from a disc jockey, you should know better...

And that could only be funny/condescending from a very narrow point of view. Lullabies to Paralyze, Caress of Steel and Coda -- an unfair comparision because this was previously recorded material released after the band broke up -- rock. Can't argue with you on Adore though. My wife loves it, lol.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstar209
Two things:

If you heard that from a disc jockey, you should know better...

And that could only be funny/condescending from a very narrow point of view. Lullabies to Paralyze, Caress of Steel and Coda -- an unfair comparision because this was previously recorded material released after the band broke up -- rock. Can't argue with you on Adore though. My wife loves it, lol.
vehuiah's Avatar vehuiah
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb
I guess there is a third group of people who think tool suddenly got lazy with song writing after lateralus.

there just when you thought you were unique :)
I'm not sure it's lazyness but there is something yes....some problems inside the band or.......I think taht on 80 % of the persons who like 10.000 days, there is a good part who are disapointed nevertheless.... Let's talk about this in 6 months, I think we need time but I'm pretty sure that in 6 months there won't be so much persons who consider this album as a masterpiece....
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I guess there is a third group of people who think tool suddenly got lazy with song writing after lateralus.

I'm not sure it's lazyness but there is something yes....some problems inside the band or.......I think taht on 80 % of the persons who like 10.000 days, there is a good part who are disapointed nevertheless.... Let's talk about this in 6 months, I think we need time but I'm pretty sure that in 6 months there won't be so much persons who consider this album as a masterpiece....
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM

Eyeshot.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Eyeshot.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-03-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehuiah
Perhaps. But I see good things for 10,000 days in the future.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #56
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehuiah
Perhaps. But I see good things for 10,000 days in the future.
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Do you really think tool, especially MJK give's two shits? He makes music because its what he likes to do... he doesnt give a shit what you think.

Most bands (metallica) would care, however tool is a different breed. You should know that.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Do you really think tool, especially MJK give's two shits? He makes music because its what he likes to do... he doesnt give a shit what you think.

Most bands (metallica) would care, however tool is a different breed. You should know that.
facelessDrone
05-03-2006, 10:24 AM

If they started making music based on what they think the fans want to hear, we truly would be witnessing the death of Tool, and the birth of yet another shitty radio band.

I don't think any of us want that.

edit: And did anyone besides me see this?:

Quote:

Bilboran
Out 6.6.2006.
Belive
Is this guy talking out of his ass, or is that really posted somewhere? Because I don't see shit on Toolband.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #58
Level 7 - Loquacious

If they started making music based on what they think the fans want to hear, we truly would be witnessing the death of Tool, and the birth of yet another shitty radio band.

I don't think any of us want that.

edit: And did anyone besides me see this?:

Quote:

Bilboran
Out 6.6.2006.
Belive
Is this guy talking out of his ass, or is that really posted somewhere? Because I don't see shit on Toolband.
acsguitar
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM

Undertow doesn't sound like Opiate; Aenema doesn't sound like Undertow; Lateralus doesn't sound like Aenema; 10,000 Days to me at least sounds like a mix between, Undertow and Lateralus.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Undertow doesn't sound like Opiate; Aenema doesn't sound like Undertow; Lateralus doesn't sound like Aenema; 10,000 Days to me at least sounds like a mix between, Undertow and Lateralus.
harryhood
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:

true
Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

true
Identity
05-03-2006, 11:27 AM

I don't think this album is inspiring, like Lateralus ("I choose to be"; "all this pain is an illusion"), nor a deep introspection, like Aenima ("the snake behind me whispers"; "it's not enough, I need more"). Each of those albums also seemed to have closely related themes. Aenima seemed to be about dealing with addiction, while Lateralus seemed to be about putting your addiction behind you and finding meaning in the world. At least to me, that was how I viewed them.

But what happens after you move past addiction and find meaning in the world?...

I have no idea. That's usually where the movie ends and the cowboys run off into the sunset. This album seems to have a collection of songs about different topics without an overall theme. It seems to me like the band sacrificed the overall mood, theme, sound, and structure of the album (their strongest points, and the most important things in my opinion) in order to be "progressive" and try some new stuff. Also, the album seems to reflect their new found relaxed attitude. More like, "let's just jam and see what happens".

This album seems more like a collection of good 60s/metal songs than like an album with a theme that flows together. I look at it like writing a story. The thing that always comes first is the plot. You have to have good internal and external conflict. That's kind of comparable to the music. It has to flow together. I don't think this album flows together. It's more like a collection of short stories than a novel.

Next most important thing is the theme. From my point of view, I want people to gain something from reading my story. I want them to read it and for it to have an impact on the way they look at life. This album doesn't really have a theme.

On this album they seemed to put musical ability above sound. The problem with this is...they're not the best musicians in the world. If I wanted to listen to technical ability, I'd pop in Dream Theatre. There are alot of musicians out there who do the whole technical ability thing better.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't think this album is inspiring, like Lateralus ("I choose to be"; "all this pain is an illusion"), nor a deep introspection, like Aenima ("the snake behind me whispers"; "it's not enough, I need more"). Each of those albums also seemed to have closely related themes. Aenima seemed to be about dealing with addiction, while Lateralus seemed to be about putting your addiction behind you and finding meaning in the world. At least to me, that was how I viewed them.

But what happens after you move past addiction and find meaning in the world?...

I have no idea. That's usually where the movie ends and the cowboys run off into the sunset. This album seems to have a collection of songs about different topics without an overall theme. It seems to me like the band sacrificed the overall mood, theme, sound, and structure of the album (their strongest points, and the most important things in my opinion) in order to be "progressive" and try some new stuff. Also, the album seems to reflect their new found relaxed attitude. More like, "let's just jam and see what happens".

This album seems more like a collection of good 60s/metal songs than like an album with a theme that flows together. I look at it like writing a story. The thing that always comes first is the plot. You have to have good internal and external conflict. That's kind of comparable to the music. It has to flow together. I don't think this album flows together. It's more like a collection of short stories than a novel.

Next most important thing is the theme. From my point of view, I want people to gain something from reading my story. I want them to read it and for it to have an impact on the way they look at life. This album doesn't really have a theme.

On this album they seemed to put musical ability above sound. The problem with this is...they're not the best musicians in the world. If I wanted to listen to technical ability, I'd pop in Dream Theatre. There are alot of musicians out there who do the whole technical ability thing better.
.TP's Avatar .TP
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM

ALDARAIA!!!

05/16/06
Old 05-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #62
.TP
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1929

ALDARAIA!!!

05/16/06
RosettaStoned-Aen-thePot
05-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK

are you serious?

WTF is wrong with all of you?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #63
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK

are you serious?

WTF is wrong with all of you?
tuzi
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM

"I guess there is a third group of people who think tool suddenly got lazy with song writing after lateralus."

Or possibly yet another group, thinking that Tool progressively got lazy with songwriting after Aenima and that Lateralus was 50/50. There was some great stuff on there - mostly Lateralus itself, but also The Grudge and maybe Disposition. But there was some very lazy songwriting too (Ticks & Leeches, which is almost like what you'd write if you wanted to parody the cliche "Tool song" with the heavy start and ethnic middle, or Triad which is basically just one idea jammed out for a few minutes) and some poorly executed stuff (The Patient, in which Danny plays his arse off trying to make the band take off but nobody else moves).

Here's the thing: I loved Aenima on first listen. It made me want to listen to it again, straight away. And every listen made me love the album more. I loved Lateralus on first listen, even though I knew I had immensely high expectations of it - I was grinning from ear to ear maybe 30 seconds into The Grudge, despite putting it on rather apprehensively.

10,000 Days? Much lower expectations. After getting friendly with Lateralus for a couple of years its flaws have become much more obvious, so the expectation was that Tool would deliver something a little worse this time. However they've managed to utterly suppass those expectations by delivering something I'd be embarrassed to hear from a bunch of high-school Tool-ripoffs, at least on a writing front. First listen was a sinking "Wow, this is a hell of a lot worse than I expected", and every one since has just been more and more damning as I spot more lazy riff-recycling, directionless amelodic moaning and chanting, the eternal use of Danny's "it's so ethnic, dude" tabla patches and so forth. And the song structures become more clear and it becomes more obvious that the emperor really does have no clothes.

Frankly, I find it utterly, utterly boring. There's no notable new direction in the music, it just doesn't sound like old Tool because old Tool were inspired and had excellent ideas. This is just backward-looking navel-gazing with no hooks, increasingly crappy guitar lines and Maynard continuing his long trip to tedious directionless keening that he's gradually departed on over his time in APC. It seems like every album that Adam and Maynard are on sees them come up with less and less striking, interesting ideas.

I'll leave you with some lyrics. Not Tool ones for a change around here.

"A record aint nothing if it's not touching, gripping, draw you in closer make you want to listen to it"

Damn right. And by that yardstick, this record really isn't cutting it. It's actually got to the stage of being repellant.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #64
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"I guess there is a third group of people who think tool suddenly got lazy with song writing after lateralus."

Or possibly yet another group, thinking that Tool progressively got lazy with songwriting after Aenima and that Lateralus was 50/50. There was some great stuff on there - mostly Lateralus itself, but also The Grudge and maybe Disposition. But there was some very lazy songwriting too (Ticks & Leeches, which is almost like what you'd write if you wanted to parody the cliche "Tool song" with the heavy start and ethnic middle, or Triad which is basically just one idea jammed out for a few minutes) and some poorly executed stuff (The Patient, in which Danny plays his arse off trying to make the band take off but nobody else moves).

Here's the thing: I loved Aenima on first listen. It made me want to listen to it again, straight away. And every listen made me love the album more. I loved Lateralus on first listen, even though I knew I had immensely high expectations of it - I was grinning from ear to ear maybe 30 seconds into The Grudge, despite putting it on rather apprehensively.

10,000 Days? Much lower expectations. After getting friendly with Lateralus for a couple of years its flaws have become much more obvious, so the expectation was that Tool would deliver something a little worse this time. However they've managed to utterly suppass those expectations by delivering something I'd be embarrassed to hear from a bunch of high-school Tool-ripoffs, at least on a writing front. First listen was a sinking "Wow, this is a hell of a lot worse than I expected", and every one since has just been more and more damning as I spot more lazy riff-recycling, directionless amelodic moaning and chanting, the eternal use of Danny's "it's so ethnic, dude" tabla patches and so forth. And the song structures become more clear and it becomes more obvious that the emperor really does have no clothes.

Frankly, I find it utterly, utterly boring. There's no notable new direction in the music, it just doesn't sound like old Tool because old Tool were inspired and had excellent ideas. This is just backward-looking navel-gazing with no hooks, increasingly crappy guitar lines and Maynard continuing his long trip to tedious directionless keening that he's gradually departed on over his time in APC. It seems like every album that Adam and Maynard are on sees them come up with less and less striking, interesting ideas.

"A record aint nothing if it's not touching, gripping, draw you in closer make you want to listen to it"

Damn right. And by that yardstick, this record really isn't cutting it. It's actually got to the stage of being repellant.
Mortal Moxie's Avatar Mortal Moxie
05-03-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK
I have nothing against there new album it is a great album and tools my favorite band, But it doesn't feel like tool maybe it's just me but this album doesn't have the essence all there other albums do
Radiohead works like that. They nail a certain sound on the album. It gets you excited for the next album. So what do they do? They change it up completely, and its nothing like what you expected.

I admire them for that. Be unpredictable.

The essence and feeling your looking to identify with will come out after time.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #65
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK
I have nothing against there new album it is a great album and tools my favorite band, But it doesn't feel like tool maybe it's just me but this album doesn't have the essence all there other albums do
Radiohead works like that. They nail a certain sound on the album. It gets you excited for the next album. So what do they do? They change it up completely, and its nothing like what you expected.

I admire them for that. Be unpredictable.

The essence and feeling your looking to identify with will come out after time.
05-03-2006, 11:51 AM

"Radiohead works like that. They nail a certain sound on the album. It gets you excited for the next album. So what do they do? They change it up completely, and its nothing like what you expected."

and look how shitty their recent albums have been.

"I admire them for that. Be unpredictable."

so being unpredictable should trump the music?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #66
Level 4 - Thinker

"Radiohead works like that. They nail a certain sound on the album. It gets you excited for the next album. So what do they do? They change it up completely, and its nothing like what you expected."

05-03-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity

Well it has to be unpredicable and GOOD. Obviously.

But I love the 10kdays so it isn't really an issue for me. I loved it as soon as the firs minute of Vicarious was over.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #67

Quote:

Well it has to be unpredicable and GOOD. Obviously.

But I love the 10kdays so it isn't really an issue for me. I loved it as soon as the firs minute of Vicarious was over.
05-03-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I hear this kind of stuff all the time. "Oh their earlier stuff was better".

WHY?! People cling on too much to a bands first or second record. Learn to accept change. If there was no change we'd all be listening to classical music today.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #68

Quote:

WHY?! People cling on too much to a bands first or second record. Learn to accept change. If there was no change we'd all be listening to classical music today.
05-03-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
Let's see we have a bunch of really good songs that are refreshing, we have one truly epic song that I consider to be one of their masterpieces and one experimental song that is to long (Intension duh). We have maynard changing his vocal style alot and using it to its full potential. We have lyrics that are to the point, funny, cynical and most important don't contain any intellectual bullshit. Yep it looks like this band has jumped the shark allright.

Yes by all means no more intellectual bullshit please. That is the last thing anyone would listen to Tool for.
I go to avenged sevenfold for my intellectual stuff. I go to Tool for my all out rockin' out needs.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #69
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
Let's see we have a bunch of really good songs that are refreshing, we have one truly epic song that I consider to be one of their masterpieces and one experimental song that is to long (Intension duh). We have maynard changing his vocal style alot and using it to its full potential. We have lyrics that are to the point, funny, cynical and most important don't contain any intellectual bullshit. Yep it looks like this band has jumped the shark allright.

Yes by all means no more intellectual bullshit please. That is the last thing anyone would listen to Tool for.
I go to avenged sevenfold for my intellectual stuff. I go to Tool for my all out rockin' out needs.
ifrigginghatethis
05-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyuss
You guys should make music since you know so much about what would be better. I'd be interested in hearing it.
You're a fucking idiot. So the argument is -- if you cannot make better music, you cannot criticize it. Under the guise of this theory, I can't sing better than the backstreet boys, so I'm not justified in my judgment that their songs suck.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #70

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyuss
You guys should make music since you know so much about what would be better. I'd be interested in hearing it.
You're a fucking idiot. So the argument is -- if you cannot make better music, you cannot criticize it. Under the guise of this theory, I can't sing better than the backstreet boys, so I'm not justified in my judgment that their songs suck.
macfreak's Avatar macfreak
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Now u go to ur room bad boy and dont ever again listen to any tool or any music other than korn...people like u have destroyed music and still do....warn Tool lol what a clown
Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #71
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

Now u go to ur room bad boy and dont ever again listen to any tool or any music other than korn...people like u have destroyed music and still do....warn Tool lol what a clown
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrigginghatethis

I dont like the BackStreet boys but alot of people did. Those people thought BackStreet Boys were amazing. That was there opinion.

So what makes their opinion worse than yours, or yours worse than theres?

Opinions are opinions.

It's not a matter of whos right or wrong. Its only opinion. If one group likes Tool and another like the BackStreet Boys, or Green Day, then all those groups will have to coexsist. This is something you should learn to deal with.

What he's suggesting is that people are trying to come off like they know hordes about music. Their criticizing a bands work when they can't probably even play a chord on a guitar. His statement makes sense.

If you can't do it, then you need to find some form of constructive criticism.

EXAMPLE: I'm not a great guitar player, but his guitar volume seems a little high, they should have brought that down.

But no, people have to be like "Ahhh man he's using recycled riffs he sux, this new album sux".

GTFO. Those people should be assassinated. By me.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrigginghatethis

I dont like the BackStreet boys but alot of people did. Those people thought BackStreet Boys were amazing. That was there opinion.

So what makes their opinion worse than yours, or yours worse than theres?

Opinions are opinions.

It's not a matter of whos right or wrong. Its only opinion. If one group likes Tool and another like the BackStreet Boys, or Green Day, then all those groups will have to coexsist. This is something you should learn to deal with.

What he's suggesting is that people are trying to come off like they know hordes about music. Their criticizing a bands work when they can't probably even play a chord on a guitar. His statement makes sense.

If you can't do it, then you need to find some form of constructive criticism.

EXAMPLE: I'm not a great guitar player, but his guitar volume seems a little high, they should have brought that down.

But no, people have to be like "Ahhh man he's using recycled riffs he sux, this new album sux".

GTFO. Those people should be assassinated. By me.
05-03-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I think u and i are the same person..could it be?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #73
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

I think u and i are the same person..could it be?
LostHighway3's Avatar LostHighway3
05-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:

funny, i always thought that aenima was their best lyrical album. there doesn't seem to be many people on these boards like that, though i might be one of the few here that was already 15 when undertow came out. i've always liked TOOL because they are not radio-friendly (i enjoy albums more than singles), and they do what they want. that's what they've done here.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #74
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1461

Quote:

funny, i always thought that aenima was their best lyrical album. there doesn't seem to be many people on these boards like that, though i might be one of the few here that was already 15 when undertow came out. i've always liked TOOL because they are not radio-friendly (i enjoy albums more than singles), and they do what they want. that's what they've done here.
LostHighway3's Avatar LostHighway3
05-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal Moxie

i think a lot of people tend to like albums that got them into a band best. that's why they tend to cling to the older ones. when a band hooks you with a great album, it's hard to exceed those expectations because you are so into them already.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #75
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal Moxie

i think a lot of people tend to like albums that got them into a band best. that's why they tend to cling to the older ones. when a band hooks you with a great album, it's hard to exceed those expectations because you are so into them already.
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-03-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzi
Tool progressively got lazy with songwriting after Aenima and that Lateralus was 50/50.

Here's the thing: I loved Aenima on first listen. It made me want to listen to it again, straight away.

10,000 Days? First listen was a sinking "Wow, this is a hell of a lot worse than I expected", and every one since has just been more and more damning as I spot more lazy riff-recycling, directionless amelodic moaning and chanting, the eternal use of Danny's "it's so ethnic, dude" tabla patches and so forth. And the song structures become more clear and it becomes more obvious that the emperor really does have no clothes.

This is the most accurate review of 10000 Days I've read, from a true TooL fan.

Again, if TooL keeps this up their true fans will depart and they will be left with the same crowd that still likes Metallica; low-standard, tone-deaf poser fanboys.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #76
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
Tool progressively got lazy with songwriting after Aenima and that Lateralus was 50/50.

Here's the thing: I loved Aenima on first listen. It made me want to listen to it again, straight away.

10,000 Days? First listen was a sinking "Wow, this is a hell of a lot worse than I expected", and every one since has just been more and more damning as I spot more lazy riff-recycling, directionless amelodic moaning and chanting, the eternal use of Danny's "it's so ethnic, dude" tabla patches and so forth. And the song structures become more clear and it becomes more obvious that the emperor really does have no clothes.

This is the most accurate review of 10000 Days I've read, from a true TooL fan.

Again, if TooL keeps this up their true fans will depart and they will be left with the same crowd that still likes Metallica; low-standard, tone-deaf poser fanboys.
jercyn's Avatar jercyn
05-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Why would anyone want an album that sounds like the last two?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

Why would anyone want an album that sounds like the last two?
jercyn's Avatar jercyn
05-03-2006, 01:06 PM

You don't HAVE to listen if you don't like it.......

Last edited by jercyn; 05-03-2006 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: wrong text
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #78
Level 2 - Poster

You don't HAVE to listen if you don't like it.......

Last edited by jercyn; 05-03-2006 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: wrong text
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Well if your opinion is that the album isn't as good as it should have been, then you must be right. Let us all who think the album is superb throw our own opinions to the wayside and follow you!

After all, it's hard to argue with your cunning use of lyrics.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #79
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:

Well if your opinion is that the album isn't as good as it should have been, then you must be right. Let us all who think the album is superb throw our own opinions to the wayside and follow you!

After all, it's hard to argue with your cunning use of lyrics.
Juanjay
05-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Metallica has alot to worry about, I mean they're still able to sell out stadiums.. man the fans really did a number on them.

I'm sure TOOL must feel the same way with this mini tour selling out so quickly, man we sure pissed in their cereal.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #80
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

I'm sure Metallica has alot to worry about, I mean they're still able to sell out stadiums.. man the fans really did a number on them.

I'm sure TOOL must feel the same way with this mini tour selling out so quickly, man we sure pissed in their cereal.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply