Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
smk4813's Avatar smk4813
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM

So has anybody concocted any solid guesses as to what the concept behind this album is or anything as to the phrase/title "10,000 Days?"
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23
The Meaning?

So has anybody concocted any solid guesses as to what the concept behind this album is or anything as to the phrase/title "10,000 Days?"
paraflux
05-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Yes!

They are all over the place.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: The Meaning?

Yes!

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
win's Avatar win
05-12-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk4813
If I had to boil down the entire CD to one message:

Man's inhumanity to man.

If you read the lyrics and go through each song with that in mind only like 2 or 3 songs don't fit perfectly.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
If I had to boil down the entire CD to one message:

Man's inhumanity to man.

If you read the lyrics and go through each song with that in mind only like 2 or 3 songs don't fit perfectly.
The Dharma Bum
05-12-2006, 12:02 PM

What does it mean to you?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

What does it mean to you?
Vlad
05-12-2006, 12:19 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to be a member of the band to know what the meaning is. It is personal and it can't be explained.

Here's a point about all these interpretations:
All who research, dissect, reorganize, and listen to the album bit by bit trying to create some universal all encompassing message that is supposed to save and/or guide humanity are actually swimming in irony. You're all probably closer than you realize to the religious figures you detest :) The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (ROFL), and I'm having a kick out of some of the elaborations posted here. Keep on Toolin'

(putting more meaning to the words rather than the music is pretty much what all fundementalist religious freaks do. have fun with that)

Last edited by Vlad; 05-12-2006 at 12:21 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 136

I'm pretty sure you have to be a member of the band to know what the meaning is. It is personal and it can't be explained.

Here's a point about all these interpretations:
All who research, dissect, reorganize, and listen to the album bit by bit trying to create some universal all encompassing message that is supposed to save and/or guide humanity are actually swimming in irony. You're all probably closer than you realize to the religious figures you detest :) The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (ROFL), and I'm having a kick out of some of the elaborations posted here. Keep on Toolin'

(putting more meaning to the words rather than the music is pretty much what all fundementalist religious freaks do. have fun with that)

Last edited by Vlad; 05-12-2006 at 12:21 PM..
BallsOfSatan's Avatar BallsOfSatan
05-17-2006, 07:51 PM

I read somewhere that maynard's mother was paralyzed for a little over 27 years. approx. 10,000 days. possibly a coincidence but it fits nonetheless.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

I read somewhere that maynard's mother was paralyzed for a little over 27 years. approx. 10,000 days. possibly a coincidence but it fits nonetheless.
ObliviousHypocrite
05-18-2006, 04:24 AM

Union vs Division
Old 05-18-2006, 04:24 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Union vs Division
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
05-18-2006, 09:28 AM

I think the album might be a concept album about the 10,000th son of a 10,000th son, but it's only a hunch at this point.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

I think the album might be a concept album about the 10,000th son of a 10,000th son, but it's only a hunch at this point.
Murock
05-18-2006, 09:52 AM

http://expage.com/lukester326

http://expage.com/lukester327

These webpages help explain the Man's inhumanity to man theory in Tool's CD
Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

http://expage.com/lukester326

http://expage.com/lukester327

These webpages help explain the Man's inhumanity to man theory in Tool's CD
tollll12
05-18-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliviousHypocrite
Union vs Division
no - just Division. Union will come later
Old 05-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #10

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliviousHypocrite
Union vs Division
no - just Division. Union will come later
Agent_202's Avatar Agent_202
05-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
er, isn't it the seventh son of a seventh son?

lol.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
er, isn't it the seventh son of a seventh son?

lol.
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM

Division. Man straying away from his roots, losing his place in the balance of nature and becoming a plague upon the world.

Also, the album takes an ironic approach to all who claimed to have gotten something out of their work and lyrics, yet still don't think for theirselves.

And it is about the personal perspective on the way the world has shifted. Alot of the songs are personal and general at the same time, which is a pretty sophisticated way of writing. All the references to christianity seem to me like metaphors for any other union. If anything, Wings For Marie/10,000 Days is a kick in the teeth to all religious hypocrites and an ode to his mother at the same time. The angels in Right In Two are a way to write a song about earth from an overlooking perspective. He might as well have used aliens.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Division. Man straying away from his roots, losing his place in the balance of nature and becoming a plague upon the world.

Also, the album takes an ironic approach to all who claimed to have gotten something out of their work and lyrics, yet still don't think for theirselves.

And it is about the personal perspective on the way the world has shifted. Alot of the songs are personal and general at the same time, which is a pretty sophisticated way of writing. All the references to christianity seem to me like metaphors for any other union. If anything, Wings For Marie/10,000 Days is a kick in the teeth to all religious hypocrites and an ode to his mother at the same time. The angels in Right In Two are a way to write a song about earth from an overlooking perspective. He might as well have used aliens.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
fugitive538's Avatar fugitive538
05-18-2006, 12:02 PM

If Lateralus was a warning about our abilities and possibilities, our wrong behaviour and the wasting of the gift of life, then 10000 days is a funeral oration at the burial feast of mankind. The resignation, the submission to the things of life, a mournful step of the chosen ones to give up on mankind and join them in life, and live it as it is meant to be lived, as long and as they can, still with some will to globally change things, but with the knowledge that those changes are not likely to happen.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #13

Bincount™: 1

If Lateralus was a warning about our abilities and possibilities, our wrong behaviour and the wasting of the gift of life, then 10000 days is a funeral oration at the burial feast of mankind. The resignation, the submission to the things of life, a mournful step of the chosen ones to give up on mankind and join them in life, and live it as it is meant to be lived, as long and as they can, still with some will to globally change things, but with the knowledge that those changes are not likely to happen.
05-18-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
what it was like being a real ghetto ass gangsta growin up on the streeets of LA
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
what it was like being a real ghetto ass gangsta growin up on the streeets of LA
BallsOfSatan's Avatar BallsOfSatan
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwaters987
Um yah that was established 3 months before the album came out.

"
I'm fully aware of that. The guy asked what the title means. so i answered since nobody else did. I got your "um ya" right here, buddy.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwaters987
Um yah that was established 3 months before the album came out.

"
I'm fully aware of that. The guy asked what the title means. so i answered since nobody else did. I got your "um ya" right here, buddy.
dawn's Avatar dawn
05-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Yes!

GET 'EM OFF ME!!!

Srsly...If I were to try to express a long time that had passed, I might say 10,000 days. I could say 10,000 years, 10,000 minutes, 10,000 breaths...it just depends on how your clock is ticking at the time. How long, how short, how do you tell time?

There doesn't have to be specific meaning. You have to think on broader terms.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Yes!

GET 'EM OFF ME!!!

Srsly...If I were to try to express a long time that had passed, I might say 10,000 days. I could say 10,000 years, 10,000 minutes, 10,000 breaths...it just depends on how your clock is ticking at the time. How long, how short, how do you tell time?

There doesn't have to be specific meaning. You have to think on broader terms.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply